TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #661
tujin

Same problem

Add me to the Seattle-based folks with Series 1 dialup issues. My SVR symptoms are the same as monkeyfacedave and dotcomcto's, and they started to happen around the same time, early December. Test calls are successful, local numbers are updated via the dialup connection, but always fails at the same point when connecting to get program data. On-screen display shows the normal sequece of dialing -> answering -> connecting, and it's always after the 'connecting' status that the dreaded 'Failed. Service Unavailable' message occurs. Behaves very consistently across every local number and every dial attempt. No changes in my phone service, physical configuration, anything, in years.

Customer support folks confirm that server logs show the connections being made, but no other information or error codes were available to the first support rep I talked to(who was the most helpful of all I've spoken with thus far). They escalated my ticket, said it would be looked into in the next few days, that was almost 2 weeks ago. My suspicion is there was a software update that happened around that time that broke legacy Series 1 functionality.

I also got the same runaround about Verizon digital technology 'frying my modem' as the root cause - baloney.

To add to the internal/external modem data points, I'm still using the internal modem.

I have lifetime service and am very unhappy with the curent state of Tivo's response on this issue. If anyone gets any traction towards the root of this, I'd be most grateful to hear.
tujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #662
monkeyfacedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujin View Post
Add me to the Seattle-based folks with Series 1 dialup issues. My SVR symptoms are the same as monkeyfacedave and dotcomcto's, and they started to happen around the same time, early December. Test calls are successful, local numbers are updated via the dialup connection, but always fails at the same point when connecting to get program data. On-screen display shows the normal sequece of dialing -> answering -> connecting, and it's always after the 'connecting' status that the dreaded 'Failed. Service Unavailable' message occurs. Behaves very consistently across every local number and every dial attempt. No changes in my phone service, physical configuration, anything, in years.

Customer support folks confirm that server logs show the connections being made, but no other information or error codes were available to the first support rep I talked to(who was the most helpful of all I've spoken with thus far). They escalated my ticket, said it would be looked into in the next few days, that was almost 2 weeks ago. My suspicion is there was a software update that happened around that time that broke legacy Series 1 functionality.

I also got the same runaround about Verizon digital technology 'frying my modem' as the root cause - baloney.

To add to the internal/external modem data points, I'm still using the internal modem.

I have lifetime service and am very unhappy with the curent state of Tivo's response on this issue. If anyone gets any traction towards the root of this, I'd be most grateful to hear.
I have EXACTLY the same issue as you at EXACTLY the same time period and in the same city of Seattle.

I deleted all program data and season passes/wishlists etc. and no changes.
I have not yet tried a total erase.

Please keep me up to date on what you have tried to do the remedy the situation - although, I am not sure that there is anything that will work without help from the TIVO people.

David
monkeyfacedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #663
monkeyfacedave

Well, I finally got my Tivo to work - I had to do an erase everything and restart, and now it is downloading the program guide just fine!

David
Quote:

Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #664
Salvatz

Same Boat

Im in the same boat as the other SVR-2000 users. I have had Verizon FIOS for two years now. No changes since then. About two weeks ago my unit no longer makes the daily call. Test call works fine. Im still using the internal modem. I head the same nonsense from TiVo that my modem was fried. I heard that the voltage might be too low from the carrier. Wondering if anyone tried the powered RJ-11 jacks that extend your phone jack using house wiring? I have heard they regulate voltage better. Also wondering if anyone has played around with filters to reduce noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Salvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #665
DotComCTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatz View Post
Im in the same boat as the other SVR-2000 users. I have had Verizon FIOS for two years now. No changes since then. About two weeks ago my unit no longer makes the daily call. Test call works fine. Im still using the internal modem. I head the same nonsense from TiVo that my modem was fried. I heard that the voltage might be too low from the carrier. Wondering if anyone tried the powered RJ-11 jacks that extend your phone jack using house wiring? I have heard they regulate voltage better. Also wondering if anyone has played around with filters to reduce noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have almost the same situation: FiOS, Series 1 TiVo, but using an external modem. All had been fine until 12/6. I can also make test calls and calls that retrieve other call in numbers - including other area codes. I still can't get guide data to download (Service unavailable message).

So, how does TiVo support explain being able to run test calls, etc but not be able to download guide data? How can your modem be "fried" if the TiVo can call in and get data?

I'm curious how they explain that.

FWIW, TiVoJerry (on vacation until 1/12) says he opened a case with my TSN, but I haven't heard from anyone - either by the forum or by email. Still having that issue.

Thanks!

--DotComCTO
DotComCTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #666
nastymage

Failed: Service unavailable

I have the same problem with my Phillips Series 1 PTV 300 and I live in the Seattle area too (Bellevue, a suburb). The last Daily Call my unit made was December 5, which seems to be the last time that SeattleJerry's Daily Call went through. I'm wondering if there might be a problem in the Pacific NW. I have tried 10 different local numbers and all of them make the Test Calls successfully, but the Daily Calls all fail. The unit does the following: Starting Up, Preparing to Call, Housekeeping, Dialing, Answering, and Connecting, but after Connecting for about 15 or 20 seconds, the Failed: Service unavailable error appears.

Anyway, I talked to several people at Phillips and they, of course, don't support this older box, and were of little help other than suggesting my phone line was the problem. I also talked to many at Tivo Tech Support and from them I learned that the Test Call will often work because it only transmits a small amount of data, so a little noise on the line is not much of a problem. But when a Daily Call is made, because the packeting is tighter, the connection needs to be very clean for a long time. They too suggested that my phone line might be the problem, although nothing has changed with it for a while. Nonetheless, I contacted my phone and DSL provider and they ran a couple of tests and said my line was just fine and make sure I have filters on all the phone devices except the DSL router (which I do). I did, however, remove the filter from the TiVo line for a while and tried to make the Daily Calls and that made no difference. Ultimately, the Tivo folks tried to sell me a new box and a new Lifetime Service plan (with a $100 discount on each). Since nothing in my house has changed, and my TiVo unit can still sucessfully make Test Calls, I don't believe it should become a boat anchor just yet, and I'm not eager to pony up another $450.

I have also tried unplugging every phone device in my home except the TiVo unit to try and get a cleaner transmission to no avail. Normally I use a very short, 5-foot phone cable to the wall jack behind my TiVo unit, but I ran a longer one to two other phone jacks in my house with no better results.

I don't want to believe that TiVo might purposely be preventing "Lifetime Service" members from downloading data just to get them to buy new boxes and new "Lifetime Service" plans.

In Setup, I have done the "Restart the Recorder", "Reset Thumbs Ratings & Suggestions", "Clear Program Data & To Do List", but I don't want to do anything that will force me to make a Daily Call (like "Clear and Delete Everything" or "Repeat Guided Setup") as I'm afraid the unit will get stuck because it can't make a Daily Call.

TiVo Jerry I know you are on vacation, but when you get back can you help me? I have an internal modem.

Thanks,

-nastymage in Bellevue, WA
nastymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #667
tujin

series 1 woes

Tivo folks called yesterday to confirm this has been escalated internally. That and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee at your favorite coffee house. The sup I spoke with over the weekend stated it could take *weeks* before anything might be done with this. A service where weeks of interruption is tolerated certainly doesn't qualify as a service in my book, and I was astounded that they'd acknowledge up front this was wait we could expect for any followup.

Two interesting data points:
a) several folks talked about FIOS and the hypothesis that somehow the phone transport might be at the root. Well, my phone service is good old fashioned analog. Also, I'd expect marginal electrical characteristics wouldn't result in such consistently reproducible behavior but rather I'd expect something that is more intermittent. My .02 on that.

b) Curious that monkeyfacedave is now operational, after an 'erase everything and restart'. Could this be a data-dependent bug on Tivo's side(there have been recent software changes in their infrastructure according to the sup I talked to) that's triggered by common series 1 configurations and monkeyfacedave has stumbled on a workaround? Monkeyfacedave: can you post the steps you took to 'erase everything'? I'd hate to lose programs I've recorded(if that's what's implied), but if that's the only way out of this mess, I might consider.

I'm really, really disappointed in Tivo's responses to this and seemingly cavalier attitude towards those of us with older lifetime service agreements. It seems that since we're not paying recurring subscription fees, we're at the bottom of the priority barrel when it comes to our issues. The fact that there are now 5 independently reported instances of common symptoms that can be correlated to roughly 12/6 and series 1 systems seems way too coincidental to be problems with each of our respective configurations.

Last edited by tujin : 12-23-2009 at 02:33 AM.
tujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #668
ggieseke

I would try the Clear Program Data & To Do List, and clear your Thumbs ratings. Neither one of those will get you stuck in a Guided Setup loop or delete your recordings, but they reduce the amount of data transmitted back to the mothership and force the guide database to rebuild.

Once the database finishes indexing try forcing daily calls over and over. The downloaded data is cumulative unless you run a test call, and you may be able to get a full download eventually. Back when this thread was first created I sometimes had to force 20 calls or more.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #669
jrusso9

Angry In Seattle with the same problem

I went on vacation and returned to have limited days of data. The symptoms are EXACTLY as have been described above. I also got the same lame excuses from TIVO (e.g., modem fried, digital phone). I knew this could NOT possibly be the cause as tivo still connected and the error says SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. To me, service unavailable means THEY are NOT giving you service. I have had no tivo for almost a week. The first time in 9 years. I am getting no satisfaction with support. They just try to sell me a new machine.

Oh yes, they told me if I used a computer rather than a phone line it would probably work. SO, we modified the TIVO and now it uses an internet connection. Lo and Behold! It STILL DOESN'T WORK. What is so interesting is that the symptoms are EXACTLY the same... stopping after 15 sec of connecting. We looked on our cable modem and you can see a connection is being made.

So now I have evidence that it is not the modem problem.... What should I do now? I don't want to erase because I have 9 years of my preferences etc.

Thanks and happy holidays.
jrusso9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #670
a68oliver

If you search back through this thread (and I didn't) I believe you will find that the mothership fails to acknowledge the receipt of a Tivo log file during the daily call. My Sony S1 also had intermittant downloading problems and then healed itself when Tivo isolated the problem several months ago.

I thought some people restored their service by telneting into the Tivo and deleting the log file. I also thought it had something to do with the length of the file.

I don't have a solution except to say that I think there is a work around buried in this thread. The ultimate fix involved Tivo changing some server settings or an internet provider along the way changing some settings which were blocking the transmission.

These comments are based on my more and more faulty memory. Good luck!
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #671
jrusso9

Arrow Feel like they dumped me

It is very clear that TIVO doesn't prioritize the individuals who were the original supporters of their product. The tech staff needs to realize this is a problem at their end and fix it. If that can not be done, because a log file is too long or something like that, they need to educate their help support staff.

I feel after 9 years totally abandoned. And just when I was hoping to hunker down and watch some TV for the holidays, TIVO is dead to me.

Please those tech supports who read this, make us a priority for you.

I will send you some fudge

Last edited by jrusso9 : 12-23-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: bad typing
Old 12-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #672
jrusso9

Deleting the Log file doesnt work

We tried to delete the log file on the theory that it was too big. It made no difference at all in the symptoms. The pattern of response on dial up was exactly the same. I miss my TIVO!!

TIVO, the ball is in your court....
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #673
dbenrosen

I just got the message that my guide data is running out, and noticed that I have this same problem. I am nowhere near Seattle (I'm in Northern NJ). I am paying a monthly subscription on my S1 because I transferred the lifetime to an S3. I only record the kids shows on this, so I wouldn't be terribly upset by doing a clear and delete all, if I could be guaranteed it would work. I tried changing numbers, test calls work but I keep getting Service unavailable messages when I do the real call. The date of my last actual successful call appeared to be 12/12. This is definitely something on the server end. Has anyone tried a number well out of their local area? With Fios I can call anywhere in the US.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #674
DotComCTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
I just got the message that my guide data is running out, and noticed that I have this same problem. I am nowhere near Seattle (I'm in Northern NJ). I am paying a monthly subscription on my S1 because I transferred the lifetime to an S3. I only record the kids shows on this, so I wouldn't be terribly upset by doing a clear and delete all, if I could be guaranteed it would work. I tried changing numbers, test calls work but I keep getting Service unavailable messages when I do the real call. The date of my last actual successful call appeared to be 12/12. This is definitely something on the server end. Has anyone tried a number well out of their local area? With Fios I can call anywhere in the US.
I tried a different area code within New York; however, that hasn't made any difference. Given that people on both coasts of the US are reporting this issue, I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. For the heck of it, I will try a different area code well outside of NY. Again, I don't think this will change the situation.

--DotComCTO
Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #675
monkeyfacedave

Quote:
b) Curious that monkeyfacedave is now operational, after an 'erase everything and restart'. Could this be a data-dependent bug on Tivo's side(there have been recent software changes in their infrastructure according to the sup I talked to) that's triggered by common series 1 configurations and monkeyfacedave has stumbled on a workaround? Monkeyfacedave: can you post the steps you took to 'erase everything'? I'd hate to lose programs I've recorded(if that's what's implied), but if that's the only way out of this mess, I might consider.
Tujin, I first tried to erase program data and thumbs preferences and that did not work.

Under "System Reset," the last selection is, "CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING."

When you do this, your Tivo will restart and erase (and format?) the hard drive and after 30 minutes to an hour it will take you main menu and ask you to do the guided set up.

Since, like yourself, your "TEST CALLS" are working, I think this has to be some (bad code?) issue that Tivo downloaded to Seattle area Tivo series 1 hard drives.

Guided setup went perfectly and my Sony SVR-2000 is working as new!

Do to the fact that both our Tivos share exactly the same symptoms at EXACTLY the same time frame in the exactly SAME CITY, I recommend that you do the CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING.

Happy Holidays,

David in Seattle
Old 12-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #676
monkeyfacedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastymage View Post
I have the same problem with my Phillips Series 1 PTV 300 and I live in the Seattle area too (Bellevue, a suburb). The last Daily Call my unit made was December 5, which seems to be the last time that SeattleJerry's Daily Call went through. I'm wondering if there might be a problem in the Pacific NW. I have tried 10 different local numbers and all of them make the Test Calls successfully, but the Daily Calls all fail. The unit does the following: Starting Up, Preparing to Call, Housekeeping, Dialing, Answering, and Connecting, but after Connecting for about 15 or 20 seconds, the Failed: Service unavailable error appears.

Anyway, I talked to several people at Phillips and they, of course, don't support this older box, and were of little help other than suggesting my phone line was the problem. I also talked to many at Tivo Tech Support and from them I learned that the Test Call will often work because it only transmits a small amount of data, so a little noise on the line is not much of a problem. But when a Daily Call is made, because the packeting is tighter, the connection needs to be very clean for a long time. They too suggested that my phone line might be the problem, although nothing has changed with it for a while. Nonetheless, I contacted my phone and DSL provider and they ran a couple of tests and said my line was just fine and make sure I have filters on all the phone devices except the DSL router (which I do). I did, however, remove the filter from the TiVo line for a while and tried to make the Daily Calls and that made no difference. Ultimately, the Tivo folks tried to sell me a new box and a new Lifetime Service plan (with a $100 discount on each). Since nothing in my house has changed, and my TiVo unit can still sucessfully make Test Calls, I don't believe it should become a boat anchor just yet, and I'm not eager to pony up another $450.

I have also tried unplugging every phone device in my home except the TiVo unit to try and get a cleaner transmission to no avail. Normally I use a very short, 5-foot phone cable to the wall jack behind my TiVo unit, but I ran a longer one to two other phone jacks in my house with no better results.

I don't want to believe that TiVo might purposely be preventing "Lifetime Service" members from downloading data just to get them to buy new boxes and new "Lifetime Service" plans.

In Setup, I have done the "Restart the Recorder", "Reset Thumbs Ratings & Suggestions", "Clear Program Data & To Do List", but I don't want to do anything that will force me to make a Daily Call (like "Clear and Delete Everything" or "Repeat Guided Setup") as I'm afraid the unit will get stuck because it can't make a Daily Call.

TiVo Jerry I know you are on vacation, but when you get back can you help me? I have an internal modem.

Thanks,

-nastymage in Bellevue, WA
Nastymage,

I live in Seattle and had the same exact symptoms as you and I do recommend that you do the "Clear and Delete Everything."

I believe there is some "bad code" Tivo sent to some Seattle area Series 1's.

This fixed all my issues with my Series 1 and should fix yours.

Happy Holidays!

David in Seattle
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #677
DotComCTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfacedave View Post
Tujin, I first tried to erase program data and thumbs preferences and that did not work.

Under "System Reset," the last selection is, "CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING."

When you do this, your Tivo will restart and erase (and format?) the hard drive and after 30 minutes to an hour it will take you main menu and ask you to do the guided set up.

Since, like yourself, your "TEST CALLS" are working, I think this has to be some (bad code?) issue that Tivo downloaded to Seattle area Tivo series 1 hard drives.

Guided setup went perfectly and my Sony SVR-2000 is working as new!

Do to the fact that both our Tivos share exactly the same symptoms at EXACTLY the same time frame in the exactly SAME CITY, I recommend that you do the CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING.

Happy Holidays,

David in Seattle
Ugh! I *really* don't want to lose all the programs on my TiVo. That's really crummy.

--DotComCTO
Old 12-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #678
DotComCTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post
I tried a different area code within New York; however, that hasn't made any difference. Given that people on both coasts of the US are reporting this issue, I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. For the heck of it, I will try a different area code well outside of NY. Again, I don't think this will change the situation.

--DotComCTO
Update:

I changed the area code from NY to FL (850) and picked a city. The dial out went fine and the TiVo was able to download the list of phone numbers. I picked one and tested the number. Again, everything was fine.

Then, I tried the daily call, and I got the same "service unavailable" message after the connect.

Grrr...

I really don't want to try to erase everything on my TiVo as I have programs on there that I want.

--DotComCTO
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #679
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post
Update:

I changed the area code from NY to FL (850) and picked a city. The dial out went fine and the TiVo was able to download the list of phone numbers. I picked one and tested the number. Again, everything was fine.

Then, I tried the daily call, and I got the same "service unavailable" message after the connect.

Grrr...

I really don't want to try to erase everything on my TiVo as I have programs on there that I want.

--DotComCTO
Last night I tried numbers in Southern NJ, Florida and California to no avail, which is what I suspected. All the numbers end up connecting to the same bank of servers which are the root cause of the problem. I really don't want to delete everything on the TiVo, and I certainly don't want to delete everything and then end up in an endless loop trying to run guided setup if I can't connect at that point.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #680
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfacedave View Post
I believe there is some "bad code" Tivo sent to some Seattle area Series 1's.
"bad code" seems extremely unlikely. TiVo has no ability to change the main code on a Series 1 - there was a mishap several years ago.

Instead, what I suspect happened is that some part of the data sent in the Seattle area got larger than they anticipated 8 years ago (too many channels moved at once, for instance?), and caused problems.

Clear-and-Delete is a very large weapon to use here, but is more likely to work than other things (I would still try other things first.)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #681
jrusso9

Angry Another worthless phone call

I called TIVO support, and was very disappointed. I gave them this URL and it took 5 minutes for the guy to find it. He said he put it in the file. It was a very frustrating phone call. I gave them the basic facts and said there was a problem at their end. How could they deny it? They turned it around blamed my machine again for the 4th time and told me to write tivo support at tivo dot com. That is all they could do for me! I asked for another supervisor but they had none. With the same model, same symptoms, same area and same date.... how could they blame my tivo?

They were not knowledgeable and they were unwilling to bring the issue forward. I suggest that we call them once a week and write them at the email about, and post about the problem on other tivo boards. I know I will do that this weekend. I tried to post about the problem on their facebook page, but they removed both posts, even though they were very respectful.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #682
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Although I am not near the office I checked in and saw that this issue has indeed gained traction. It is actively being researched, but of course holiday staffing probably doesn't help.

Clear&Delete everything is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but that's a choice for you to make while this is being looked at. Sorry I won't be around to provide more updates, but hopefully this lets you all know it isn't being ignored.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #683
nastymage

Has the "Clear and Delete Everything" option worked for anyone else?

monkeyfacedave claims that our Daily Call problems will be solved if we just run the "Clear and Delete Everything" option, but I am afraid to try that because I have heard other horror stories of people being stuck in permanent Guided Setup by doing that.

Has anyone else tried every other option to no avail, but got the TiVo to begin making Daily Calls only after running the "Clear and Delete Everything" option?
nastymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #684
betseeee

Glad I found this thread. I rarely post here (maybe once before, if that?) but I'm having the same problem as the Seattle folks, except in NY. The first Tivo tech support person we spoke to gave us the analog modem/digital line thing, and when I said well, we've had a digital line for nearly 4 years (cablevision VoIP for 2, and now FiOS for nearly 2) and it's been fine until last week, he just said yeah, that's what happens and when it stops working it never works again. The second guy, to whom my husband spoke, was ostensibly more helpful, saying they could repair the modem, or offer us $100 off a new Tivo HD, and that maybe they could grandfather in our lifetime service. But the modem makes test calls so it's very clear that it's not actually fried.

I hope someone at Tivo actually resolves this. I don't really want to buy a new box if there's nothing wrong with my old one. I also really don't want to delete everything and then have it not work anyway.
betseeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #685
mpark

I just registered to add to this thread. Series I, 3.0, lifetime, Seattle. Test calls work fine, daily call fails after connecting with "service unavailable" since a few weeks ago. Have run out of program guide info. Tried many different numbers, tried an external modem, same story.

Several calls to tech support. The last guy I talked to said that because our phone company is Qwest, we have a digital phone line and our TiVo isn't designed to work with that. The fact that it's worked for nine years apparently is a fluke(!) I didn't really buy that, but what could I say?

Misery loves company, so I'm glad other folks are in the same boat. (Not really, but you know what I mean: Tivo's got to start taking this problem seriously.)
mpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #686
monkeyfacedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastymage View Post
monkeyfacedave claims that our Daily Call problems will be solved if we just run the "Clear and Delete Everything" option, but I am afraid to try that because I have heard other horror stories of people being stuck in permanent Guided Setup by doing that.

Has anyone else tried every other option to no avail, but got the TiVo to begin making Daily Calls only after running the "Clear and Delete Everything" option?
Well, my Tivo Series 1 has still been working fine still ever since I did the "Clear and Delete Everything" option - it Dials/Answers/and most importantly, connects and downloads program data.

I first transferred the programs that I wanted to save to a VCR, thus the baby was not "thrown out with the bath water."

Again, if the test call works as mine did, this will get your Tivo working again.

David in Seattle
Old 12-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #687
klon67

[quote=betseeee;7684132]Glad I found this thread. I rarely post here (maybe once before, if that?) but I'm having the same problem as the Seattle folks, except in NY. The first Tivo tech support person we spoke to gave us the analog modem/digital line thing, and when I said well, we've had a digital line for nearly 4 years (cablevision VoIP for 2, and now FiOS for nearly 2) and it's been fine until last week, he just said yeah, that's what happens and when it stops working it never works again.
klon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #688
klon67

I don't want to rehash all I have read in the past two days but my New York Tivo is doing the same thing as all the others. My FIOS line has been up and running for years. I suggest we keep calling TIVO support. There has to be strength in numbers. The CS person told me that id I purchase a new TIVO from a big box vendor I could transfer my lifetime to that box. IF I buy from TIVO I can not transfer lifetime. Anyone have any eveperience with lifetime transfer??
klon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #689
DotComCTO

[quote=klon67;7684551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by betseeee View Post
Glad I found this thread. I rarely post here (maybe once before, if that?) but I'm having the same problem as the Seattle folks, except in NY. The first Tivo tech support person we spoke to gave us the analog modem/digital line thing, and when I said well, we've had a digital line for nearly 4 years (cablevision VoIP for 2, and now FiOS for nearly 2) and it's been fine until last week, he just said yeah, that's what happens and when it stops working it never works again.
If you check the last couple of pages, you'll see that I'm also in NY, and there's another person in NJ. I also happen to be on FiOS; however, there are folks here on analog only. You'll note that TiVoJerry (on vacation right now) has indicated that this has been escalated, but TiVo is somewhat short-staffed right now given the time of year.

Personally, my TiVo has run out of guide data now, and I'm really annoyed at this point. Fortunately, this is my secondary TiVo, but that's hardly the point. TiVo needs to recognize the issue and get it sorted out.

--DotComCTO
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #690
betseeee

[quote=DotComCTO;7684731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klon67 View Post

If you check the last couple of pages, you'll see that I'm also in NY, and there's another person in NJ. I also happen to be on FiOS; however, there are folks here on analog only. You'll note that TiVoJerry (on vacation right now) has indicated that this has been escalated, but TiVo is somewhat short-staffed right now given the time of year.

Personally, my TiVo has run out of guide data now, and I'm really annoyed at this point. Fortunately, this is my secondary TiVo, but that's hardly the point. TiVo needs to recognize the issue and get it sorted out.

--DotComCTO

Yeah, I read the first few pages and the last page, but not much in the middle. I saw the the issue was escalated, but there didn't seem to be a ton of hope for a quick fix. We ran out of guide data on the 25th (Merry Christmas!) and I'm pretty grumpy about it. We have a FiOS DVR downstairs but I like the Tivo better and it's in my bedroom, where I *need* it to watch Colbert, and my kids *need* it to watch exciting stuff like Dora or Diego in the mornings so I can take a shower!

We tried the monkeyfacedave clear-program-data last night and I forced about 30 daily calls after that, to no avail. Grrrrrrrr. I'm still glad to have found this thread confirming that what the phone reps were telling me made no sense whatsoever.
betseeee is offline   Reply With Quote