TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #331
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotatt View Post
"What buzz words should I use when speaking to my [Comcast] cable rep when I'm trying to explain to them what they need to do to properly pair/validate my cablecard?"

Still trying to figure this out....
I'm not being a wise guy here - Phone Reps know nothing
about pairing. In fact they can not access the people who
do. Only the INSTALLER can access ATS. The ATS people
know about pairing.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #332
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Set it up yesterday, and emailed the comcast tech that I was ready when he was. He had left me with the last two S-cards we tried, so today he had a rep call me to activate them.

I gave the rep the pairing info, and he hit the cards with the signal. I left it on the Conditional Access screen and we waited...and waited...and waited...nothing (Enabled by CP: No and AUTH: Unknown). He sent the signals again...nothing. I rebooted the tivo and he sent them again...nothing. We finally gave up and the tech will hopefully come on friday.

One big difference between this tivo and the faulty one I sent back - with the faulty one I could get channels 2-23 analog on one of the tuners. With the new tivo I can't get any channels at all when I go to Live TV - just a big ACCESSING CHANNEL INFO screen with a big spinning wheel.

My question: which one of those scenarios is "normal" for a unit pre-cablecard authorized?

I'm getting tired. Really tired.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #333
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Set it up yesterday, and emailed the comcast tech that I was ready when he was. He had left me with the last two S-cards we tried, so today he had a rep call me to activate them.

I gave the rep the pairing info, and he hit the cards with the signal. I left it on the Conditional Access screen and we waited...and waited...and waited...nothing (Enabled by CP: No and AUTH: Unknown). He sent the signals again...nothing. I rebooted the tivo and he sent them again...nothing. We finally gave up and the tech will hopefully come on friday.

One big difference between this tivo and the faulty one I sent back - with the faulty one I could get channels 2-23 analog on one of the tuners. With the new tivo I can't get any channels at all when I go to Live TV - just a big ACCESSING CHANNEL INFO screen with a big spinning wheel.

My question: which one of those scenarios is "normal" for a unit pre-cablecard authorized?

I'm getting tired. Really tired.
Do you want to come over and SEE how a NEW TiVo Works
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #334
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Do you want to come over and SEE how a NEW TiVo Works
Now that's just plain mean.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #335
drhankz

Quote:
Now that's just plain mean.

I just figured after TWO TiVo Problem BOXES you must be into mean.

I can tell you a worse story that happened to me TODAY.

I OWN TWO Toyota Tacoma Trucks - 1996 and 2004.

BOTH TRUCKS are in PERFECT Condition - the 96 Truck I use as a
PLOW Truck - because the 2004 does not have a Frame sufficient
for a Plow.

I brought the 1996 Truck in for a Sticker today - REJECTED - Due
to Frame Recall. TOYOTA wants to BUY the truck from me for MORE
than it is worth and SCRAP IT.

The 2nd Toyota is UNDER the same RECALL and goes in Monday for
a FRAME INSPECTION.

I know this is OFF TiVo Topic - But that is what I call MEAN
Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #336
schipperke

FIOS Install

Tech kept insisting to install two M-Cards, on my HD model. "See two slots, you need two, I always install two, did the exact same machine yesterday." I took one, he got it to work, both tuners operate. I desperately wanted to reply RTFM... Verizon should give him a cut of all the extra unnecessary card rentals.
schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #337
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schipperke View Post
Tech kept insisting to install two M-Cards, on my HD model. "See two slots, you need two, I always install two, did the exact same machine yesterday." I took one, he got it to work, both tuners operate. I desperately wanted to reply RTFM... Verizon should give him a cut of all the extra unnecessary card rentals.
Did you have the TiVo Installation Instructions printed out for the Installer?

I hope you enjoy the EXTRA Charge for the CableCard.

Just PULL it out yourself and RETURN it to Verizon. Of
course you need to pull out the RIGHT CableCard and
not the WRONG one. You also need to be SURE they
are REAL "M" Cards. If they are "S" Cards, then you do
need two.

I recently returned (2) CableCards to Comcast to REDUCE
my Comcast Bill.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #338
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
I hope you enjoy the EXTRA Charge for the CableCard.
He said he only took one.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #339
jon96cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by schipperke View Post
Yeah the HD Tivo just needs one M card if its a S3 you need two M cards or 2 S cards. They guy figured it was the same as the S3.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #340
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:

My question: which one of those scenarios is "normal" for a unit not yet "cablecard authorized"?
Tech's coming friday morning to try a new M-card. Can anyone answer the above question for me?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #341
drhankz

Quote:
Tech's coming friday morning to try a new M-card. Can anyone answer the above question for me?
ALL CHANNELS WORK.

BTW - I had a Comcast Tech come out here Sunday night
to fix a Comcast HD Box.

All my NON-Comcast DVRs with CableCards were working fine.

The TWO COMCAST HD Boxes were NOT WORKING - WHY - Signal
was TWO HOT. Comcast had upped the Signal Strength in the Neighborhood.

All the Tech finally did was reduced the signal strength and boxes started
working AGAIN.

Last edited by drhankz : 12-17-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #342
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
ALL CHANNELS WORK.
I don't think you understood my question.

When you first get a brand new TivoHD, after the cards have been inserted, but BEFORE they've been activated by the Cable Company, what do you see when you go to Live TV?

Analog channels? OR
A message saying "Accessing Channel Info" with a big spinning wheel?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #343
drhankz

Quote:
I don't think you understood my question.

When you first get a brand new TivoHD, after the cards have been inserted, but BEFORE they've been activated by the Cable Company, what do you see when you go to Live TV?

Analog channels? OR
ONLY GOD knows that answer. The recommended startup
procedure is on the TiVo Website. They recommend running
the TiVo for awhile WITHOUT ANY CABLECARD.

I ran my TiVo for a whole week and got all the TiVo and Other
BULL out of the way like software updates, etc. You need to
have an ACTIVE TiVo Account - but NO CABLE CARD.

With NO CABLE CARD - you should be receiving ANYTHING a
standard in-home TV receives - like all the channels from 2-67
or there about.

Plugging in a CableCard changes everything activated or not activated.

If the Tech is Bringing a NEW "M" - Power down the TiVo by unplugging
the AC CORD. Remover the CableCard and then Power the TiVo back on.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #344
yunro

Quote:

Analog channels? OR
I just bought a TivoHD and was able to see all analog cable channels before cablecard installation, I was also able to see any in the clear qam digital channels.
yunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #345
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunro View Post
I just bought a TivoHD and was able to see all analog cable channels before cablecard installation, I was also able to see any in the clear qam digital channels.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #346
drhankz

Quote:
Thanks!
Is the Comcast Tech there yet with the NEW "M" Card?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #347
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

He was here from 9:30am to 4:30pm, and I still don't have a working TivoHD.

I Cleared and Deleted Everything before he came, and went through Guided Setup leaving the Cable Cards out of the slots. At this point I got analog channels, so I knew the tuner in the Tivo was working.

He arrived, and as soon as we inserted the M-card, the analogs were gone and all I got when I pressed the Live TV button was the spinning wheel saying "Acquiring Channel Information".

He called HQ and had them send the signal to activate the M-card and...nothing. The card would not or could not receive the activation signal. After trying all possible permutations of conditions (take the splitter, cable amp, etc out of the equation), nothing worked.

He's coming back next week with the Tivo S3 that they use for testing and we'll try the cards in that one to see if they can get an activation signal.

This is the second TivoHD I've tried, both Recertified. If this one is defective too, I'm going to return it and insist they send me a brand new TivoHD, even if I have to pay the difference. But at this point, I shouldn't have to. And I think Tivo should beef up their "recertification" process too.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #348
TVisitor

I've got Cablevision of NJ, and 4 new Tivo Series 3 HD's.

I set up a little "provisioning" area in my basement, hooked all of them up to cable & my network, and did guided setup on all of them. One of them rebooted each time I tried to enter guided setup, so I returned it and got a new one from Amazon, and that one was fine.

Did guided setup, eventually firmware upgraded to 11, and things seemed to be fine.

Cable guy came today around 4PM, brought 4 Multistream cards & 4 SDV adapters. He did a quick check of signals at each unit, and said they were OK.

Popped all 4 cards in, ran down the line and it took about 10 minutes before they were all done with their automatic firmware upgrades. He then called in and had the cards activated, and tested the non switched channels.

He then connected all 4 SDV adapters, and called in their numbers [I asked him about the fact that I could have gone and picked them up, would I have had to call them in? He said no, becuase when they gave them to me they would have entered the #'s in to the system].

The adapters seemed to take a little time before they came up, and one of them was problematic. He thought it might have been signal at the drop, maybe too low for the SDV, but then said the person he talked to at the head-end seemed "a little busy and maybe they didn't activate it" - he called in again, and apparently that was the case - it was activated, and all was well. He ran through a few channels on each unit and all was fine.

Took about an hour and a half for all 4 units. Interestingly enough I asked him if he does regular installs, and he said they usually send him out for troubleshooting issues, not regular wire-run/etc. type stuff. So I guess he was better than the average tech. He also said he brought a few extra cards and SDV adapters in case one was bad, which sometimes happens. Kudos to him for having forethought!

All in all, a positive experience.
TVisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #349
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

You got 4 working units in 1.5 hours, and I can't get one working unit out of 2 Tivos, 6 cable cards, and about 50 hours of tech time.

Life isn't fair.

(happy for you though)
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #350
drhankz

Quote:
You got 4 working units in 1.5 hours, and I can't get one working unit out of 2 Tivos, 6 cable cards, and about 50 hours of tech time.

Life isn't fair.

(happy for you though)
I have 6 working DVRs in Salem, NH [Comcast]

Yes - I never did more than TWO installs at once and the rest
were one at a time. It did take a Total of (9) "M" cards to get
6 working. The worst Case Install time was 1 HOUR. Most were
done in 30 Minutes. And YES the Comcast Tech always had a
SPARE "M" card with him.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #351
hengst2404

SoCal Newb Taking plunge

Wel, after literally months of reading this thread, and a whole lot os soul searching, I decided to get a Tivo. I purchased the Tivo HD XL. I am assuming this is identical to the regular HD with the exception of more storage capacity, although the box also says series 3 on the side which confuses me a bit as few here in the thread mention the HD XL by name.

In any event, the SO Cal Time Warner guys are coming to my condo in Culver city to set up my cable cards. On the phone the girl said that my unit needed 2 cards, but that the tech arriving on thursday would have all the cards, as well as the SDV tuning adapter.

This will be the first new tivo i have had since my old series 2 and I am very nervous. I realize that most of these posts are for folks who are having issues, but I never seem to have good luck initially with these things. So I guess wish me luck and hopefully everything works out.
hengst2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #352
SpiritualPoet

There is a dual-cable card for TiVo which your cable operator might possibly have. It's generally cheaper (?) to pay for a dual-card than two separate cable cards (the monthly rental fees). You'll love the XL-TiVo. (I don't have one but it's currently the largest drive unit on the market). The XL model uses the series 3 technology which is also in the HD TiVo machine, as well as in the discontinued Series 3 model.
SpiritualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #353
hengst2404

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualPoet View Post
There is a dual-cable card for TiVo which your cable operator might possibly have. It's generally cheaper (?) to pay for a dual-card than two separate cable cards (the monthly rental fees). You'll love the XL-TiVo. (I don't have one but it's currently the largest drive unit on the market). The XL model uses the series 3 technology which is also in the HD TiVo machine, as well as in the discontinued Series 3 model.

Hey thanks for the info. Well naught to do but wait and keep my fingers crossed till thursday. In the meantime I am going to plug it in and do the updates and all of that.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #354
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

The Comcast tech left a little while ago. He brought the Comcast test tivo with him again, put the card that didn't work in my tivo into that one, had HQ send an activation signal to it and it worked fine.

So it seems the tivo that replaced the first defective tivo is also defective. Here's the lesson, kids: NEVER buy a "recertified" tivo. At this point I have ZERO faith in their "recertification" process.

I'm going to call them and ask them to send me a BRAND NEW TivoHD for the hassles I've gone through. Between the two defective units over a 2 month period, Comcast has come here close to 10 times and spent well over 50 hours, for nothing, all because of defective tivos.

We'll see how sympathetic they are.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #355
drhankz

Quote:
The Comcast tech left a little while ago. He brought the Comcast test tivo with him again, put the card that didn't work in my tivo into that one, had HQ send an activation signal to it and it worked fine.

So it seems the tivo that replaced the first defective tivo is also defective. Here's the lesson, kids: NEVER buy a "recertified" tivo. At this point I have ZERO faith in their "recertification" process.

I'm going to call them and ask them to send me a BRAND NEW TivoHD for the hassles I've gone through. Between the two defective units over a 2 month period, Comcast has come here close to 10 times and spent well over 50 hours, for nothing, all because of defective tivos.

BE SURE YOU show TiVo all these POSTS as Documentation for your
TROUBLES. That is INSANE - you and your Comcast Tech Support TEAM
have gone beyond what anyone should expect.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #356
Lyrical1

I had a different experience...

Scooterboy, Iím really sorry to hear that your recertified TiVo appears to be a lemon. This is especially true for me, because a few months ago I purchased a refurbished HD XL directly from TiVo and I was very reluctant to do so.

Iíd purchased refurb products from Apple in the past and had great experiences with them. With TiVo I just didnít know. At the time, though, it was the best price I could get for the unit with their warranty. (Of course, I found that if I had waited a littleÖ , but isnít that always the case?)

Anyway, my HD XL unit has fortunately been great. I asked Comcast to send someone who knew TiVos and M-Cable Cards well. Naturally, the guy who came out had installed Cable Cards only three or four times. However, after calling the office once or twice he got it working in less than ĺ hour and itís been working fine ever since.

I wish you good luck getting satisfaction from TiVo.
Lyrical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #357
Tsiehta

Quote:

Scooter, you and I are in the same boat. It's been about a 3-week process for me trying to get Comcast to activate M-card in my HD XL that was working for the previous year under Brighthouse. We've gone through at least 9 M cards, and 4 SD cards. Tivo eventually suggested that the card slot on my Tivo went bad, so talked me into paying 149.00 exhange fee, plus 499.00 deposit on a new Tivo. I specifically asked, "It's a new Tivo?" They said yes.

Well, the "new" Tivo arrived last week, took it out of the box. First thing, the door to the cable slots just fell off. Scheduled with Comcast for a tech to come out. Put M-card in the "new" box, and it was even deader that my original Tivo. Wouldn't even read an M-card in slot one. Spent over an hour with Tivo on the phone, with Comcast rep sitting on my couch, trying to explain to them that THEY suggested I try a new Tivo. They wanted me to send BOTH Tivos back before they would send out another one! Eventually, they saw my point that it was there suggestion to try the new tivo, and I shouldn't have to return my original without comparing it to a new Tivo first.

New Tivo should come this week, or next. I really fail to see how a Tivo that worked for a year under Brighthouse, now can't be made to work under Comcast.
Tsiehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #358
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Just got off the phone with Tivo Support. I explained to the CSR that I'd gone through two defective refurb TivoHDs along with countless Comcast hours and I wasn't really psyched on trying a third refurb. I told him I'd like them to send me a brand new unit instead. He put me on hold, then came back on and said he couldn't do that.

I told him I was very disappointed that I wasn't going to be a Tivo customer again after all, especially since I'd been a loyal customer from 2001-2008 and had gotten them many customers back then. He offered to transfer me to Customer Retention because they had more pull than he did, so I told him to go ahead.

Customer Retention came on, and I repeated the whole thing. He asked me what I had paid for the refurb and I told him $199. He put me on hold in order to talk to his manager. When he came back on the line he said I could return the refurb for a full refund and he would sell me a brand new unit for $199. He also refunded the 2 months worth of tivo fees I'd paid during this whole adventure. That's how you keep a customer.

So now we wait for the new unit to arrive...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #359
richsadams

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Tivo Support.
Yikes! What a PIA! Glad that you stuck to your guns and that TiVo finally came through, but that wasn't necessary at all. A long-term customer like yourself should get more respect than that. Or maybe that's why they offered to send a new box, I don't know...but still!

Best of luck in any case and keep us posted...you'll deserve a medal after all of this!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #360
hengst2404

Wow, on the eve of receiving my cable cards and install from Time Warner in Socal, I am still a bit nervous. I hope I don't need to call upon this community's vast experience in getting my box to work with the cards.

P.S. richsadams - I stayed in Lake Oswego for about a week during the primary season of the campaign. Beautiful little community