TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #631
aljesk

Series 1 and the missing Guide Data

Just when I was about to put Tivo into a cardiac arrest

received a new message with guide changes, rip sentana sports.

Out of guide data, Tivo rebuilt the schedules to mid August

AND

a successful Daily Call!!!!

Go Tivo!

series 1, upgraded HDD160gb

So series one owners have a little faith in Tivo mine pulled thru, in his own time, rather than when i wanted it to.
aljesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #632
dbranco

That's terrific! I don't think it's a coincidence that you recently posted to this thread saying that you still had problems, and then it 'suddenly' started working.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #633

Took an old Sony Series 1 from my parents. And now, ever since I set it up at my condo (Comcast cable phone service) I can't get past the Downloading message. Grr.
1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #634
dorkydood

Philips Series 1, lifetime service, running instantcake and ptvupgrade with an airnet card.
Has worked flawlessly for years, now i can make a successful test call, but no joy on daily call. I recently upgraded my home router, but am certain that the Series 1 did successfully call in for at least a week before the failures began. It appears that Tivo Support is no help with this. I have tried restarting the unit, changed the dial in number, and checked my router settings, all with the same result. I can see it on the network, i have a good signal in that area of the house.
Please tell me there is hope.
Thank You in advance for any help.
dorkydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #635
gfhopkins

Who'da thunk it?

Philips Series 1 with lifetime service and a Turbonet card. All had worked fine until several weeks ago. It would run a test call OK, and would download lots of data only to fail after about 15 minutes, saying "call interrupted" and similar message that I forget at the moment.

Then... Eureka! After ridiculous amounts of effort in numerous fruitless directions, I remembered that the router had been switched. Now, since I'm running on the wire, not on wireless, I had no reason to suspect it. I've never, ever seen ethernet work like this. It's almost like changing power cords had solved the problem.

Anyway, I hooked up the old router and the Tivo grabbed program info on the first try, for the first time in weeks.

Hope this helps someone!
gfhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #636
10sguru

Add me to the list

After reading all 22 pages of this post it is clear that I too have the dreaded Series 1 not downloading data issue. Last Friday I decided to upgrade my Series 1 unit with product lifetime service. In talking to the sales associate she indicated that as a current customer I qualified for the $100 hardware discount on the new HD DVR I wanted and also $100 discount for multiple box service with one caveat. I had not used my old Series 1 in quite a while as I had drifted to the dark side and had been using the local cable company's HD PVR box which I had become disappointed with thus the decision to upgrade my TiVo. Consequently it had been well over six months since my last successful call but I told her that it shouldn't be a problem as I should be able to hook the old Series 1 back up for service so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase. Now as it turns out I may in fact have a problem. It took forever to get the current Program Guide Data to successfully download but it did. However there still seems to be a problem with the service data download. I can make a successful test call (obviously since I was able to get new program guide data) but now when the unit tries to make a daily call it hangs at the downloading step with a last status note, which appears under the System Information screen, of failed. Unknown error. Below is exactly what it says under System Information.

Manufacturer Brand: Philips
Software Version: 3.0-01-1-000
TiVo Service Number: xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
TiVo Account Status: 5:Product Lifetime Service
Today’s Date: Monday, Sep 07, 2009
Program Guide Data To: Thursday, Sep 17, 2009-09-07

Phone Call:
Last Successful: Monday, Sep 7 at 2:16 am
Last Attempt: Monday, Sep 7 at 3:10 am
Last Status: Failed. Unknown error.
Next Scheduled: Monday, Sep 7 at 8:40 am
Service Data Download:
Last Successful: Monday, Dec 6 at 5:02 am
Last Attempt: Wedenesday, May 11 at 4:35 am
Last Status: Finished

Under TiVo’s Suggestions in My Preferences I have a service message that says TiVo service interrupted. The TiVo Recorder has not made a successful daily call for more than 30 days. No TiVo Service Functionality will be available until the recorder makes a successful daily call, etc, etc.

Clearly my issue seems to fall into the time frame where everyone else with Series 1 units began to have issues. A couple of notes. Although I hadn't used the unit for well over the six month rule it was powered on but it wasn't hooked up to a modem;I am using one of the Weaknees external modems as the internal one gave up the ghost several years ago. Notice that the time frame from the date of the last successful call which was December 6 to the date of the last attempt which was May 11 is basically six months. Is it possible that once I hit that six month interval the TiVo server removed me from their database? Also it appears there are two aspects of a successful daily call. One for Program Guide data and another for the Service Data download. I rather suspect that I just need to be added back to the server database due to my six month "violation". TiVo Jerry you seem to be the man with the plan. My TSN is referenced in the above System Information. Can you help? Thanks.

Jim

Last edited by 10sguru : 09-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.
10sguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #637
a68oliver

I am not at home right now. But IIRC the service data download error can be ignored. It was a procefure, since abandoned, that Tivo used to obtain program info over a broadcast/cable/satellite TV channel early in the morning. This data was piggybacked/embedded in the broadcasts that deliver program previews and other info.

I would not be concerned about the service data downloads.

However, the failed daily call is another matter. I wouldn't give up just yet. Since the guide has run dry, Tivo must download the entire guide to get caught up (which explains why it took forever). Has it ever finished indexing the data and made the guide available?

I don't understand why repeated daily calls would hangup. Perhaps you should give it another day or two to see if this is a temporary glitch with the service.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #638
10sguru

Alan, hey thanks for the note. I see you purchased a S1 the same time I did. At any rate yes it actually has downloaded the guide as I am good to Sep 17 refer to the last line of the first paragraph of my system information. The thing that concerns me is there is service message in Setup under TiVo's suggestions in my preferences that says TiVo service interrupted. The TiVo Recorder has not made a successful daily call for more than 30 days. No TiVo Service Functionality will be available until the recorder makes a successful daily call, etc, etc. when in reality I have made a successful daily call as evidenced by the Program Guide Data To: Thursday, Sep 17, 2009-09-07. I too am puzzled why subsequent daily calls are hanging up during download. Eventually I guess the TiVo server times out as the modem hangs up. I will just let the daily calls try to complete for now as at least I have guide data until September 17 and hopefully this shows up in my account now so I can get the $100 service discount on the new TiVo HD DVR for multiple units.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #639
a68oliver

The message about running out of guide data was automatically generated when it ran out of data. Messages usually remain available for reading and re-reading even after they have been read. They may stick around for several weeks after being read. The fact that you have successfully downloaded fresh guide data will not delete the warning message. You may manually delete it or simply wait for it to scroll off the Tivo.

Good Luck!
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #640
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sguru View Post
<snip>

TiVo Jerry you seem to be the man with the plan. My TSN is referenced in the above System Information. Can you help? Thanks.

Jim
For the purposes of the upgrade program, your DVR just has to touch the service each six months, regardless of whether or not the connection succeeds on your side. A test connection would even suffice. I see plenty of recent activity on your unit, so you shouldn't have a problem transferring the service for the plan.

As such, I strongly recommend you edit your original post and remove the TSN.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #641
10sguru

Jerry, thanks for the reply. One update however. There does seem to be something wrong as even though the System Information reports that I have program guide data thru September 17 I have just now noticed that when viewing live tv it says no information available. I can make test calls all day long but the regular daily calls whether auto by the system or forced returns the failed known error message. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #642
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Try a restart. Otherwise, start a new thread. I haven't had to troubleshoot Series1 software in a very long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #643
chaaarlie

I also have a Philips Series 1, and it stopped making daily calls several years ago. I was (and remain) pretty sure the modem got fried, and ran out and bought a Series 2, which I don't regret. But I've been using the Series 1 as a dumb auxiliary recorder up until yesterday, when I made the mistake of starting Guided Setup. It didn't occur to me that an intelligent human would write a program that can irreversibly trap itself, but that's the fix I seem to be in -- can't get out of Guided Setup. Would the old "Pause 57" command work? And if I ever get my modem fixed, will I find out that TiVo has terminated my lifetime service due to non-use?

And (this is embarrassing)... could somebody tell me how to do an original post? I've never been here before.
chaaarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #644
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaaarlie View Post
And if I ever get my modem fixed...
I can't help with all your questions, but one cheaper option that fixing the internal modem is switching to an external one. When the internal modem on one of my Series 1's started to go bad (lots of call failures) I pulled out an old 56K modem I had stuffed away and set that up. I spend more time searching the forums for the right dial code for a modem than actually setting it all up. It's been working fine ever since, and it was a "free" fix since I already had the modem.

bkc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #645
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

While viewing one of the forums, there is an icon on the top left titled "new thread" if you want to start a completely new discussion. While within a thread you can either respond with a quotation, as bkc56 did here, by clicking the "quote" button or just hit the "post reply" button. You can even multiquote several people.

Unfortunately once a unit has started guided setup, data is already erased. There is no backdoor command to escape guided setup. Our software is targeted to units that have active connections.

Aside from an external modem (http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-modem-fix.php), there is also the option to add a network card to your series1 (http://9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm). Being a TiVo employee, I have to mention this as an unofficial support suggestion as both options are only available from third parties. The official recommendation is to contact the manufacturer for an exchange or repair. Please remember that there are risks and hazards present when opening up any consumer electronic device to modify it.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #646
spaceboytom
Tivo Since 2001

How I Completed Guided Setup On My Series 1 TiVo

I hope this helps some of you with Series 1 connection issues…

Hardware:
Sony SVR-2000 Series 1 (lifetime service, upgraded to 120GB)
Turbonet Network Card

This assumes you can telnet into your TiVo…

Many months back I solved my daily call issue by telneting into my TiVo and deleting the /var/log/svclog.upload file and creating a directory of the same name. At the time, the sole purpose of the box was just to keep up the MSD for my two TiVo HD boxes, so all I needed was a regular daily call to keep the service active. Last month I decided to put it back to a good use and set it up for the kids to record their shows. I figured that while I was at it, I would set it up for digital cable using a converter box. So I picked up a new Motorola box from Comcast and went to work. I ran guided setup and initially everything seemed to go by the book. The setup call went through without a hitch and the IR blaster worked well on the first try. But when I got to the final call to download data, the TiVo would not even make the initial connection. So I backed up to the setup call and that completed again without any issues. I then tried the final call again, and it still would not connect. I was boggled to why one call would work and the other not. I wondered if it was similar to the connection issues earlier this year, except this time I was stuck in guided setup and couldn’t get out. So on a hunch, I telneted into the TiVo and deleted the /var/log/svclog.upload directory that I had created. I tried the final call again… and it connected on the first try! I watched as it set the clock and checked account status and I thought I had solved the problem. But it all stopped there. The connection timed out while downloading data and TiVo said the call was interrupted. I tried again and it was back to where it would not make the initial connection. I telneted in to the TiVo and deleted the new /var/log/svclog.upload file. Again I tried the final call and it connected, updated clock & status, but timed out during the download. So I knew I was on to something. I decided to monitor the /var/log/svclog.upload file during the calls in the guided setup by doing a series of ls -l commands in the /var/log directory. The file was a couple hundred blocks in size during each call & step, until it got to the download step during the final call. The file size then jumped up to over 2000 blocks. I figured that this large size for svclog.upload was what was hanging the call. So I deleted the large file and started the process again. When the final call connected and as it was checking account status, I created a /var/log/svclog.upload directory. This kept the larger /var/log/svclog.upload file from being created during the download step. The TiVo successfully downloaded data and I was able to finally able to complete guided setup. It seems that timing is crucial in this process as the connection step will fail in the final call if the /var/log/svclog.upload directory already exists, but the download step will fail if the directory is not created before download begins. Once guided setup is complete, you can leave the /var/log/svclog.upload directory in place and the daily calls will continue as expected.

So it seems to me that the fundamental cause of the recent connection issues with the Series 1 TiVo is due to the larger size of the /var/log/svclog.upload file.

SBT
Series 3 HD, 160GB (Soon 1TB)
spaceboytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #647
alex870

I've made it all the way through setup without using a modem using spaceboytom's directory trick. (Thanks so much!)

I recently changed my Fios router from the old Dlinks they used to give out to the actiontech. The subnet changed and broke turbonet to where tivo wouldn't join the network. To cut a long story short, I used instantcake to wipe the drive, gain telnet access and set a static IP. Then I hit the same problem everyone else is having here when trying to setup/download over turbonet. Here's the process I followed to get through setup and downloading:

After wiping with instantcake and setting the static IP, I deleted all the log files and did a 'mkdir svclog.upload' in /var/log

This got me through the initial call. Then for the second call, I deleted the svclog.upload (I also ended up rebooting tivo at this point, but can't say whether it's necessary) and let the 'dialing' start. I had a telnet session waiting with the command to make the svclog.upload directory again. Once it began setting the time, I fired the command and it successfully completed the download.

/rant on

It seems that the problem is tightly defined now, so really it's only a lack of interest that keeps Tivo from fixing turbonet at this point. Since they don't seem interested in the logfiles of an aging platform, why not have their website disregard the file upload and send back an acknowledge to allow things to work properly.

I have a Motorola HD set-top box DVR from Verizon and it has always sucked. With the cablecard situation finally looking like it could be completely resolved (i.e. multi-channel card and on demand functionality), I'm excited at the prospect of dumping the STB for a DVR that wasn't programmed by retards (HDMI blanks out on the Motorola within days requiring a hard reboot!) and can store more than a pittance of HD programming hours. So I (for one) am watching closely to see what a 'lifetime' subscription really means to Tivo and this will weigh heavily on my future purchasing.

/rant off

Alex

Series 1 Sony, 120GB (seagate 7200.7), TurboNet
alex870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #648
mwistrom

"Failed. Service unavailable."

So, yeah, I've started having this problem now too.

1. I am able to make a successful test connection via the phone and my broadband conncetion.

2. I was able to connect via the phone earlier. 5 days ago?

3. ALL attempts end with "Failed. Service unavailable."

What do I do? Seriously, all of the info I can get does really apply. The only thing that I can think of is that it got really cold here (about 20 F) and that might have affected the phone lines, but the internet connection should work, no?

Thanks,
Mark
mwistrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #649
jenn976

Above, the post from 12-13-2008:

>"I had the same problem last month with my Tivo Series 1 and then it miraculously downloaded. I still don't know why it happened. Now, I'm having the same problem again, just as dbranco; Tivo has not had a successful download since last Saturday despite countless tries. It just keeps giving me a "Call Interrupted" failure after 15 to 20 minutes. Wish I knew what solved the problem last month because it might both of us!"

describes exactly what I'm experiencing only exactly a year later. What was the solution?
jenn976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #650
jeremyseattle

Well,

Looks like the annual firewall change at Tivo HQ has messed things up again.

My last, successfull, daily call was 11 days ago.

Test calls work just fine.

Spent an hour on the phone with tech support. They tried to convince me that the problem is due to "digital" phone lines. Then they said that because I had been running my modem on "digital" phone lines for so long, my modem is burned up. Then they tried to say that the HDD in my TiVo had been replaced and I was running unsupported software that caused the problem.....

Anyway,

TiVoJerry,

Can you please jump in and take a look? I am in the Seattle area - area code 206.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
jeremyseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #651
monkeyfacedave

I live in Seattle also and have had the same problem with my Sony SVR - 2000. Test call works fine and downloads new numbers from Tivo fine.

But I am now out of Schedule data and when I make "daily call" it just keeps saying "Dialing. Phone in use." Then, "Call failed. Service Unavailable."

This started happening about two weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyseattle View Post
Well,

Spent an hour on the phone with tech support. They tried to convince me that the problem is due to "digital" phone lines. Then they said that because I had been running my modem on "digital" phone lines for so long, my modem is burned up. Then they tried to say that the HDD in my TiVo had been replaced and I was running unsupported software that caused the problem.....

Anyway,

TiVoJerry,

Can you please jump in and take a look? I am in the Seattle area - area code 206.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

monkeyfacedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #652
jeremyseattle

I had a feeling it was a problem with my log files but I didn't have the terminal enabled so I told the tivo to delete all settings and prorgams. This worked for me.

I really wish the tech support people at TiVo would have spent 10 minutes fixing the problem with my machine instead of spending an hour tryin to convince me that the modem was dead in my Tivo due to "digital" phone lines.

-Jeremy
jeremyseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #653
DotComCTO

Arrow Failed. Service unavailable.

Well, now I get to add myself to the list of Series 1 owners with the "Failed. Service unavailable" message. I'm using an external modem, and that approach had been working flawlessly for quite some time. My last service download was 12/6/09 @ 4:32 AM. Since then, it seems I've been getting the dreaded message.

Interestingly, like some other folks here, the external modem connects to the TiVo service just fine during test calls. The TiVo has no issue retrieving the list of dial-in numbers and setting the clock - all via dial-up. Unfortunately, it just won't download the guide data anymore! I've tried many of the tricks identified in this thread such as, changing the dial prefix, trying many different phone numbers, clearing the thumbs & prefs data (even though that option was turned off anyway), call booting the devices, etc. I have not tried connecting to the TiVo via telnet as I don't have that capability enabled (and I don't have a null modem cable handy either).

The modem is fine, the TiVo is able to dial in, but a few moments after the TiVo/modem connect to the service for downloading data, the modem disconnects.

TiVo has their list of things to try online, but none of that seems to work either. Any other suggestions?

TiVoJerry, I sent you a PM asking whether you would be willing to help here. If so, I will send my TSN.

Hope someone has some other suggestions.

Thanks!

--DotComCTO
DotComCTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #654
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Please send your TSN and contact info ASAP. I am going on vacation at the end of the day and won't be back in the office until January 12th. I'll be passing the information along to customer support and engineering for handling.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #655
DotComCTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Please send your TSN and contact info ASAP. I am going on vacation at the end of the day and won't be back in the office until January 12th. I'll be passing the information along to customer support and engineering for handling.
PM sent with TSN info.

Thanks so much for the super fast response! It is very much appreciated.

Have a great holiday and vacation...

--DotComCTO
Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #656
monkeyfacedave

Hi Jeremy,

So your daily call works now? What were your symptoms before?
I can make test calls also but not daily calls. It gets stuck on Dialing. Answering. Connecting. -- and then "Call Failed. Service Unavailable."

Thanks,

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyseattle View Post
Well,

Anyway,

TiVoJerry,

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #657
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Are either one of you using the internal modem on your Series1?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #658
DotComCTO

Quote:
External modem here. The internal modem died quite some time ago.

--DotComCTO
Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #659
monkeyfacedave

Quote:
I am using an internal modem.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #660
monkeyfacedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfacedave View Post
I live in Seattle also and have had the same problem with my Sony SVR - 2000. Test call works fine and downloads new numbers from Tivo fine.

But I am now out of Schedule data and when I make "daily call" it just keeps saying "Dialing. Phone in use." Then, "Call failed. Service Unavailable."

This started happening about two weeks ago.
I forgot to mention that my Tivo is also running very SLOW when deleting programs and will pause when I page down through screens of the NOW PLAYING LIST if I go too fast. It runs normally when watching and navigation through shows.