TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #61
Idearat

I like the show. The thing that surprised me is how much they'd pay to fix things up to increase their sale price. The coke machine, gas pump, barber chair, Shelby Cobra and boat had substantial money added in addition to the purchase price to make them more valuable. So these guys aren't just buying low and selling high, they're investing the extra money to make more money in the end.

I like that when they have the experts come in for a consult they they're doing it in front of the person who wants to sell the item. They could conceivably find out the value then really lowball the seller who didn't hear the value. Some customers feel like they are being lowballed, but they don't usually understand the difference between the highest auction price and a wholesale price. The only one that I'm sure bummed out the seller when he saw it on TV was the ship's chronometer. They brought it in and sold it as non-running, but the clock expert pulled out the bits of cardboard used to secure it in transport and found it working perfectly and worth quite a bit more than what the shop bought it for.

I wonder how many people bring an item in, get the expert evaluation, then reject the wholesale offer only to go straight to selling it on Ebay with all the new information they learned put in the item's description.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #62
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsiehta View Post
I've always wondered how a pawn shop operates. Like, if I'm looking for a Rolex, are pawn shops a viable option in order to save some cash on one? Or, will a pawn shop mark it up significantly?
It can be, but in my experience they are better negotiators than me.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #63
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I like the show. The thing that surprised me is how much they'd pay to fix things up to increase their sale price. The coke machine, gas pump, barber chair, Shelby Cobra and boat had substantial money added in addition to the purchase price to make them more valuable. So these guys aren't just buying low and selling high, they're investing the extra money to make more money in the end.

I like that when they have the experts come in for a consult they they're doing it in front of the person who wants to sell the item. They could conceivably find out the value then really lowball the seller who didn't hear the value. Some customers feel like they are being lowballed, but they don't usually understand the difference between the highest auction price and a wholesale price. The only one that I'm sure bummed out the seller when he saw it on TV was the ship's chronometer. They brought it in and sold it as non-running, but the clock expert pulled out the bits of cardboard used to secure it in transport and found it working perfectly and worth quite a bit more than what the shop bought it for.

I wonder how many people bring an item in, get the expert evaluation, then reject the wholesale offer only to go straight to selling it on Ebay with all the new information they learned put in the item's description.
There was one the other night where a guy brought in a harper's ferry musket and turned out it was still loaded. After getting the evaluation the guy decided to keep it.

I don't remember the item but the expert was in awe of it, he said museums didn't have one in as good shape as this owner did. He estimated auction house as really high, and instead of taking it to an auction house he pawned it for thousands and thousands less.

Why??
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #64
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
There was one the other night where a guy brought in a harper's ferry musket and turned out it was still loaded. After getting the evaluation the guy decided to keep it.

I don't remember the item but the expert was in awe of it, he said museums didn't have one in as good shape as this owner did. He estimated auction house as really high, and instead of taking it to an auction house he pawned it for thousands and thousands less.

Why??
Needed the money right away would be my guess.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #65
pmyers

I've only been in a pawn shop once and was looking at some power tools. the prices were not near as cheap as I thought they would be, but then again maybe they expect you to barter. I would think jewelry would be cheaper.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #66
Idearat

I've peeked in a few pawn shops, but the prices are just OK, no steals. When you deal in used goods you probably have an idea on what they're worth, so you don't offer deals unless you just need to clear out inventory.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #67
MarkofT

They were filming at the Pawn Shop tonight when I drove by after work. They had one door closed off and a bunch of lights in the other door. It was a good bit after dark too and you never see them filming after dark, it's always bright and clear outside.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #68
wendiness1
WiiMomma

When they consult an expert, who pays for that? The implication is that they are doing a favor but surely if a pawn shop consulted experts all the time there would be a fee.

Last edited by wendiness1 : 12-10-2009 at 01:02 AM.
wendiness1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #69
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
You would think if anything was in there they would hear it rattle.
Or inserted a video camera. The bullet holes were more than big enough for that or even a small mirror...
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #70
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
When they consult an expert, who pays for that? The implication is that they are doing a favor but surely if a pawn shop consulted experts all the time there would be a fee.
I'm guessing they have their 'experts' on call and pay them a small montly fee. Its worth it for them since they don't want to possibly spend alot on something worthless.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #71
janry

I've been disappointed in the merchandise of the few pawn shops I've been in. Things like power tools were not even cleaned. Electronic items looked like they'd been through a war. Prices were not good. No thanks. The pawns shops I went in were the chain ones.

I've wondered if a lot of the things in the series are not really purchased by the pawn shop, such as the airplane, coke vending machine, and other high end specialty items. It makes for a good show to think the pawn shop is buying, fixing and reselling them, but I wonder if the "experts" they deal with aren't really the purchasers.

Obviously, they buy some of the items like the Lincoln. I wonder if Chumlee is still making payments on the Harley.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #72
janry

Some interesting discussions about the Cobra and Coke Machine here:

http://boards.history.com/category/Pawn-Stars/520000029
Old 12-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #73
Swirl_Junkie

I would think they bring the experts in just for television value, and are payed in part by the production company. I think that the pawn shop might have some experts on a retainer type system, but would be used much more infrequently than when they are filming for the show.
Swirl_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #74
wendiness1
WiiMomma

I have an old steamer trunk (probably 1910) that I have yet to get open. I wonder what's in it?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #75
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I hope it's not full of steamers.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #76
Steve_Martin
Grandminion

If it's from Cleveland, let it lie.
Sent from my desktop.
Steve_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #77
janry

Quote:
I have an old steamer trunk (probably 1910) that I have yet to get open. I wonder what's in it?
Jimmy Hoffa?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #78
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Caught this show on accident last night and I really like it! Going to set up an SP in hopes of catching some old eps.

I like that it's like Antique Roadshow but not as boring.

One of the episodes last night had a quilt with signatures from hundreds of old celebrities. What a cool item. And I want that treasure chest! The locking mechanism was very cool.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #79
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Pretty funny when Chumlee set the ball and chain down on the glass counter.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #80
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Pretty funny when Chumlee set the ball and chain down on the glass counter.
That was HILARIOUS! OMG!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #81
HoosierFan
Board game geek

We've caught a handful of these. Do they ever show them selling the stuff the buy? I think that would be very interesting. He always talks about being able to make a profit on things, I would love to see if he does.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #82
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I've never seen them sell an item they bought, but there was a show recently that revealed the profit made on some of the items they've bought.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #83
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

If anyone watched the Christmas special on the 21st, was it all new material or a clip show?

Also, is it just me, or have there been a LOT of new episodes lately (at least according to my guide data)? There was the Christmas ep on the 21st followed by two more new eps, then two MORE new ones on the 27th.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #84
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I've never seen them sell an item they bought, but there was a show recently that revealed the profit made on some of the items they've bought.
One of the later episodes around Christmas would show an item they bought during the season and how much they sold it for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #85
wendiness1
WiiMomma

I like this show but I'm a bit disappointed at what appears to be "staged" events. Luke Chumley breaking the cabinet with the ball and chain. The camera just happened to be on him at that moment?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #86
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Quote:
I like this show but I'm a bit disappointed at what appears to be "staged" events. Luke Chumley breaking the cabinet with the ball and chain. The camera just happened to be on him at that moment?
I think a lot of the stuff in the show is staged - like at the end of the episode when the potty-chair fell out of the truck. Pretty much anything that doesn't involve a customer I assume is a set up.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #87
JMikeD

Quote:
They may be keeping those camera on more than we think. It doesn't have any film costs, anything they don't like, they just erase.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #88
xuxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
They may be keeping those camera on more than we think. It doesn't have any film costs, anything they don't like, they just erase.
It was definitely staged, that was window glass that broke, tempered glass is used on the tops of showcases. I would say 80-90% of the show is staged.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #89
CraigK
(unspecified)

I just had to remove a bunch of episodes on 1/11 that were scheduled. I have my Season Pass set up for First Run Only but these had generic descriptions so they ended up on my To Do List.

I'll have to check their web page and see if I can find out when the next new episodes will broadcast.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #90
modnar

I like the show, but I easily tire of the staged things and what seems like memorized lines.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote