TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #6841
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
We compared regular price-to-regular price and FiOS came out a little higher, so as long as we have a promotion we're probably going to do better with FiOS,
I have never done the comparison - but that was my guess, without
Promotional Prices - they should be close.

Every Year at Comcast Renewal Time - for me in Salem, NH - about MAY.

My Special Pricing for Comcast goes away. Every year the Price JUMPS 40%.

Every year I call screaming to TAKE OUT THE SERVICE.

Every Year the Special Pricing is returned after the TAKE IT OUT Phone call
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #6842
b_scott
TiVo Fan

anyone in Chicago Area 1,4,5 having break-up issues? I've been having bad blocky issues with channels 225+, as well as a couple other channels having the occasional digi-noise. This is on both TV's the same. The signal seems to be cut down to around 50 or so, normal is around 80.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #6843
diehard2

Quote:
Anyone in Chicago Area 1,4,5 having break-up issues? I've been having bad blocky issues with channels 225+, as well as a couple other channels having the occasional digi-noise. This is on both TV's the same. The signal seems to be cut down to around 50 or so, normal is around 80.
Not sure about the Comcast areas, but I'm in the south loop, and I'm not having any issues.
diehard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #6844
b_scott
TiVo Fan

thanks. I don't know what it is. But it's on both my Tivos, same issue. Could be my outside line or an issue with a connector where it comes into my apartment. At one point the Tivo had a message in white lettering over the top of the picture that gave a number and said to call Comcast to give them the number - but my wife didn't write it down and I was asleep. Anyone ever gotten that message and know what it is?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #6845
Smackfu

I thought my Comcast experience was pretty painless. They only had ancient S-cards from 2006 to install, and they only had one on the first visit and had to come back to do the 2nd one, but it everything works fine.

Fast forward to this month's bill, which now has two $6.95 charges for Add'l Digital outlets. (There is also an included HD DVR in my package that I'm not even using, so that may be why both are counted as additional.)

Has anyone had any luck arguing this with Comcast? Or getting it replaced with an M-Card? They seemed kind of flaky doing the Cablecard in the first place so I don't want to push my luck, but $7/month adds up.
Smackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #6846
bicker
Gruff

First, yes, the HD DVR on your account needs to be addressed. That will clearly make all other digital devices fall into the "additional outlet" category.

Second, the ability to have two CableCARDs designated on the same outlet seems to depend on whether there is a special rate code for that set up in the billing system for your local system. We have that rate code here (something like "CableCARD 2nd card same outlet"), and so I was able to get my second CableCARD in my TiVo S3 covered for $1.75 per month. If that rate code doesn't exist, there's not much that can be done except to escalate your concern to corporate customer service, and see if they'll go to bat for you. The entirety of rates charged are regulatory-reviewed, so the FCC won't go to bat for you -- you'll need to get someone from within Comcast on your side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #6847
angra

Note Comcast cable-card attempt - stuck @ "Acquiring..."

I am not sure if this really belongs in CC thread or Comcast thread, but I'm going to take my best shot and put it here.

So, as I mentioned earlier in thread, I am not a Comcast customer, but my parents are. I got them a TivoHD for christmas, and went up to their house to meet the cable-card install tech. We had an unsuccesful transaction, and another attempt will be made tomorrow without my presence. I am attempting to gather as much info as I can to prepare my parents in advance. Tonight's cable tech didn't really want to debug the issue - he wanted us to sign off on the truck roll with the tivo stuck on "Acquiring Channel Information", so I expect to need to supply all debugging initiative remotely in advance.

Cable tech showed up @ 4:45 for a 2pm-5pm window. TivoHD had been set up days before, including a software update. I arrived at their house at 2 and had the tivo fully up and running well before the tech arrived. Tech arrived and inserted the card, went through a few screens that I did not catch, and then went to Live TV, where it stuck on "Acquiring Channel Information" for somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes. Tech got on his personal cell phone and was discussing personal plans for the evening, clearly ready to leave. His other cell phone rang, and it seemed as though he was talking to dispatch. He said he'd be leaving directly, hung up and asked us to sign off on the visit. We resisted, noting that he had not shown any evidence that the card install was working. He got a bit testy, saying that that screen can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, which seems a bit contradictory to info here and at tivo.com. When I asked him about this he asked me how many cable card installs I had done (nice). He said we could call him on his cell phone if there were any more problems. I got the impression the tech wanted to just go and had evening plans that we were keeping him from, he kept pressing for a sign off on the roll, which my dad declined to provide.

Eventually the "Acquiring..." screen timed out, and the tech said that maybe we had a bad card, scheduled another install for tomorrow 2-5, but said that he would try to come by himself earlier in the day if he got a chance. very sketchy feeling. anyway...

I tried to grab as much info from the debug and info screens, but I didn't really know what I was looking for in advance. I was furiously searching TCF and Tivo.com while the guy was here. Conditional access screen had only, I think, 3 lines, but had Val: V. On an info screen there was a line for OOB frequency, which had a stable value in it (something in the 2000-2100 neighborhood, but I do not remember the units). That is about all that I remember offhand, but if asked specific questions, I might remember more that I saw.

Can you guys help me figure out how to best prepare my parents for tomorrow's visit? If the channel acquire times out again, what can I have them do, or insist that the cable tech do? I'll be making my way through all the debug info I can find, but any specific guidance would be very appreciated.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #6848
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Print out or have available TiVo's cablecard debugging page - it sounds like you might have already encountered this, but it's great to be able to show it to installers who don't know what they're doing.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #6849
dwsutton
Franklinlock

Help ! HD no longer working :)

I was hoping someone could give me some insight. Ive had a Tivo series 3 hd for over a year. It was a beautiful thing. Last month all the sudden the HD quit recording and when switched to any of the HD channels even regular ones like Fox News, AMCHD - all but the HD local channels show up a black screen. I have called Comcast twice and they give me the " Im resetting the card" routine but that never helps. Give me some advice where to look in the menus and what to tell Comcast......

My concern if I go in unprepared is their regular response - "your junk TIVO is messed up" Im thinking if it can decode and show the standard 3 or 4 HD channels it must be in the card paring.

Could or is is normal for the card to fail after a year ?

Any advice would be appreciated

David
dwsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #6850
teenie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenie1 View Post
In the Chicago area. We now have two big TVs (lived on the 25" tube for several years!). Each TV has its own Series 3 HD TiVo. For one TiVo, we have lifetime service (TV #1), we don't have TiVo service yet on the other (TV #2). Just set up TiVo #2 today, we are using wireless USB for both, I created a home network with desktop, laptops and TiVos (same as at my old house).
We currently do not pay extra for HD service from Comcast. On TV#1, we are receiving all the HD versions of the stations in our package. On TV #2, we are only receiving HD for the local networks (ABC, NBC, etc). The other HD channels (where we subscribe to the matching SD channels) have a blank screen.

Can anyone help me get the remainder HD stations on TV #2?

Thanks!

Can anyone help on this?
teenie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #6851
teenie1

I have another issue. Our [brand-new] HDTiVo is connected directly to our brand-new Sony TV through HDMI. We are having difficulty with the TiVo audio:

(1) We don't hear some of the TiVo sounds ("bloop" sounds when navigating). The TiVo sounds are audible in the Now Playing menu, but not in the Guide or FF/RV when watching a program. It would make more sense if we never heard TiVo sounds (say, if HDMI cable didn't pick up analog sounds) but it is situation-specific.
(2) When I FF through commercials and hit "play", the video starts in right where it should but it takes several seconds for the audio to begin. When the audio begins, the audio & video are synched, but the audio is simply mute for several seconds while the video plays.
(3) If we have a program on pause for more than a minute, we often hear a terrible crackling (like a screechy microphone).

I did the following troubleshooting:
(1) Disconnected HDMI & connected old-fashioned cables (Red/White audio and Red/Green/Blue Video) --> the problem resolved, all audio is heard.
(2) Tried a different HDMI cable --> same problems
(3) Called Sony, they did a little troubleshooting with TV HDMI settings and say everything should be fine.
(4) Not experiencing problems with Blue Ray on same TV, which leads me back to TiVo being the problem.
(5) Called install tech from store where TV was purchased. He's pretty experienced and didn't know of this issues. He even did some research and called me back, he thinks it's a TiVo issue.
(6) TiVo sent a new box (to replace our brand-new box) because they thought it might be an issue with the HDMI port. Unfortunately, we're still having the same issues.

Help!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #6852
angra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Print out or have available TiVo's cablecard debugging page - it sounds like you might have already encountered this, but it's great to be able to show it to installers who don't know what they're doing.
Thanks - I had run across it but it was nice to have some validation that it's the "best" resource. We had it up and ready to go for our appointment window today, but no techs ever showed.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #6853
OrangeKid

SDV with Comcast Portland

Does any one know if Comcast in Portland, OR, is using SDV?
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #6854
a68oliver

Quote:
Can anyone help on this?
You didn't mention if Comcast has installed and configured Cablecards on TV #2. Have they?

If they have, then they probably have not been configured correctly or paired by Comcast.

We need more info to help.

As for your question about Tivo sound effects... You will not hear them in Dolby Digitall 5.1 broadcasts.

I think some of these questions are answered in an excellent FAQ posted in the AVScience Forum at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post11126048
Tivo HD November 2007

Last edited by a68oliver : 12-10-2009 at 12:20 AM.
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #6855
teenie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
You didn't mention if Comcast has installed and configured Cablecards on TV #2. Have they?

If they have, then they probably have not been configured correctly or paired by Comcast.

We need more info to help.

As for your question about Tivo sound effects... You will not hear them in Dolby Digitall 5.1 broadcasts.

I think some of these questions are answered in an excellent FAQ posted in the AVScience Forum at

Comcast installed M-cards on both TiVos (same day).

Thanks for the FAQ link, I will go read that now!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #6856
teenie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post

When I call Comcast, what do I ask them? Or is there something I can do on my own? The techs they have sent have not been very good and don't communicate well when asked questions.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #6857
a68oliver

Quote:
When I call Comcast, what do I ask them? Or is there something I can do on my own? The techs they have sent have not been very good and don't communicate well when asked questions.
Somewhere there is an excellent Troubleshooting Cablecards document. I believe it is at Tivo.com in the support area. Try http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137 It will have you look at the diagnostic screens and tell you what specific problems the cablecard is having. I suspect TV#2 has not properly been added to your account and is not receiving authorization to decode the channels. This will probably mean you need to be subscribed to a 2nd digital outlet and charged an additional outlet fee. I believe the 2nd outlet fee should include the cost of one cablecard.

I wasn't clear what Comcast package you were subscribing to on TV #1. I assume that you can subscribe to a different package on TV #2. That might be the problem.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #6858
schwinn

I'm just starting my TivoHD escapade... and it's already looking bad. I've been dealing with ECC (Executive Customer Care) for other issues for over a year. Now that they told me I'd be getting screwed in the digital transition, I weighed my options and got a THD so I could use cablecards.

Well, I just spoke with ECC today, and they wanted to make a housecall to deal with the other analog issues I have been dealing with for a few years. I told them, fine, but come in with cable cards because I just got the new TivoHD. You won't believe what they told me - I can't get HD on my Tivo... I have to get digital equipment from Comcast to get HD.

Can you believe this? This is supposedly "top level" support, and they don't even know what TivoHD is, how cable cards work, etc... wow.

I've "educated" her on TivoHD now, and asked her to check again, because I don't believe her, since so many people have THD with Comcast and HD... so now that she knows a little more, hopefully, she'll understand and make it happen.

Just wanted to relay the ignorance of Comcast... even at upper levels of support. Yeesh. I imagine there will be more to come...
schwinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #6859
macjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjester View Post
I'm in Morgantown WV, which seems to be aligned with the Comcast Pittsburgh regional in terms of service and policies.

I just purchased an HD. When I called, I asked if I could pick up a card (hoping that an M card would suffice and exchange TWO cable boxes - one on the TiVo S2 and one on the TV). I didn't explain this merely said I wanted a single card in exchange for two cable boxes. Clearly the CS rep knew that TiVo was involved and immediately said "you can't pick them up, only the tech's carry them, and you need two." Which implies they're S cards (or they have no clue what their talking about). I've got a service call scheduled for Monday (which is a nice $18 fee). The card cost per month is $1.99 (but since I had 4 cable boxes in the house for over 3 years, they had already reduced my additional box cost to $2.00, so I'm not really saving any additional money).

I read on the TiVo instructions that (paraphrasing) "some cards extend beyond the unit and don't allow the door to close..." Does anyone know if Comcasts cards are prone to this (I can only imagine they are -- which will send my aesthetically-sensitive wife into a complete tizzy).

I'll update once things are finished...

BTW, love the HD, got Netflix streaming up and running, very impressed.
Ok, I'm a few days late with this, but I suppose my update is worth it.

The provisioning EVENTUALLY went through, after about the third time. The tech that showed up was waaaay cool...he had this "technique" of hanging up on his support person on the other end by faking his phone breaking up, or his "battery is about to die, let me call you back." He wasn't rude, he could just tell the rep didn't know what they were doing and he seemed like a guy that didn't want to waste his time and wanted to make me happy -- he did that in spades. It obviously worked for him...

Funny side story -- while we're waiting to call back in after a hang-up, he GETS a call...from DISPATCH, asking him for directions...made me chuckle. Again, we're part of Pittsburgh regional (about 75 miles away from Morgantown -- and in another state). He said their service call routing is a nightmare -- he's driven PAST other techs as they're leaving a neighborhood he was driving to!

So anywhoo, much like I suspected, they DID have M-cards, and he brought several. We got the first one to work. It seems as if CableCARDs are something most folks there aren't too knowledgeable about.

Post-install "issue" (this is more of ignorance on my part than anything else)...EVERYTHING is copy protected (so far -- being a new tivo, I have only set up a few season passes). I didn't know about the CCI restriction on digital recordings & MRV. I mean I knew about it, but I wasn't expecting to get hit by it. I'm an old school S2 user that's had MRV going since day one, so this is kind of like losing a finger...it sucks, but I'll survive, but damn if I won't have a hard time scratchin my arse (or some such finger use).

What has impressed me was in my initial search to figure out what was going on with everything being incrypted, I ran across this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...le.comcast.com

I sent an email to the address listed. I expected boilerplate "polite" response. Instead, I got an email to set up a voice call and spoke with someone at corporate, this was within a 24-hour period. In turn, she contacted a tech rep at the local office (nice fellow, a little unclear of all of the CCI byte issues on Comcast's end). He seemed to indicate it was nothing they were doing, but was sent that way from their upstream provider. I asked him to look into how the CCI byte is being set on their digital-equivalent OTA streams, and he said there was someone in their regional office (Pittsburgh) that he thought would know more about the issue.

Again, I don't expect a major change -- I hope for one, but I don't expect it. I do however have to at least give them credit for listening, responding quickly and attempting to understand/address the issue. Its been my experiences that most companies don't like explaining policies that don't make sense to their customers. Ultimately, I know I'm going to be restricted to some point, fortunately, I've got two other TiVos cranking double duty...since they can't handle HD content, I'll most likely keep the new one filled with mostly HD stuff. I dislike that my choices are being restricted, but I'm at a loss as to how to circumvent (legally & effortlessly) the restriction.

tl; dr version -- install & provisioning went great; digital & HD is the future (but unfortunately so is encryption). I'm hoping there's a solution worked out at some point in the future...
macjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #6860
angra

Quote:
Originally Posted by angra View Post
Thanks - I had run across it but it was nice to have some validation that it's the "best" resource. We had it up and ready to go for our appointment window today, but no techs ever showed.
So the third appointment (second visit) went off without a hitch - I couldn't be there, but my dad called and said that after 40 minutes of the new tech working on it, everything was up and running.

I was happy that the 2nd tech was not trying to run out the door with a non working system, and was willing to troubleshoot until it was working. Is there anything I can do after the fact to have meaningful positive impact on the tech? Would a complimentary call to comcast have any affect on the technician?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #6861
ChiTownMac

Same exact issue..!!!

Quote:
I have another issue. Our [brand-new] HDTiVo is connected directly to our brand-new Sony TV through HDMI. We are having difficulty with the TiVo audio:

(1) We don't hear some of the TiVo sounds ("bloop" sounds when navigating). The TiVo sounds are audible in the Now Playing menu, but not in the Guide or FF/RV when watching a program. It would make more sense if we never heard TiVo sounds (say, if HDMI cable didn't pick up analog sounds) but it is situation-specific.
(2) When I FF through commercials and hit "play", the video starts in right where it should but it takes several seconds for the audio to begin. When the audio begins, the audio & video are synched, but the audio is simply mute for several seconds while the video plays.
(3) If we have a program on pause for more than a minute, we often hear a terrible crackling (like a screechy microphone).

I did the following troubleshooting:
(1) Disconnected HDMI & connected old-fashioned cables (Red/White audio and Red/Green/Blue Video) --> the problem resolved, all audio is heard.
(2) Tried a different HDMI cable --> same problems
(3) Called Sony, they did a little troubleshooting with TV HDMI settings and say everything should be fine.
(4) Not experiencing problems with Blue Ray on same TV, which leads me back to TiVo being the problem.
(5) Called install tech from store where TV was purchased. He's pretty experienced and didn't know of this issues. He even did some research and called me back, he thinks it's a TiVo issue.
(6) TiVo sent a new box (to replace our brand-new box) because they thought it might be an issue with the HDMI port. Unfortunately, we're still having the same issues.

Help!!
Hi, we are having the same exact issue with our Tivo HD and Sony Bravia LCD. I've tried a few things, and keep coming back to Tivo since the TV works with all other components without issue!! Have you found anything out? I wonder if the HDMI "handshake" between the 2 is the issue? How to resolve this? I'll keep you posted if I find anything, and if you do find something, let me know.. thanks
ChiTownMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #6862
teenie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownMac View Post
Hi, we are having the same exact issue with our Tivo HD and Sony Bravia LCD. I've tried a few things, and keep coming back to Tivo since the TV works with all other components without issue!! Have you found anything out? I wonder if the HDMI "handshake" between the 2 is the issue? How to resolve this? I'll keep you posted if I find anything, and if you do find something, let me know.. thanks
You are correct, the issue is the "handshake" between Tivo and my TV. Apparently nothing I can do about it Either live with the issues or switch to Comcast DVR.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #6863
teenie1

[quote=a68oliver;7655084]You didn't mention if Comcast has installed and configured Cablecards on TV #2. Have they?

If they have, then they probably have not been configured correctly or paired by Comcast.QUOTE]

Found out that you are correct, the CableCard for TV #2 was not configured correctly. I switched the CableCards in my 2 Tivos and the problem switched between the 2 TiVos. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #6864
ChiTownMac

Quote:
You are correct, the issue is the "handshake" between Tivo and my TV. Apparently nothing I can do about it Either live with the issues or switch to Comcast DVR.
I purchased a Onkyo receiver last week as well. Have not installed it since I have to make some modifications to the entertainment unit. I'm hoping that running all my HDMI's thru the receiver might resolve this issue?? Keeping my fingers crossed and hope to try it out in the next couple of days.
ChiTownMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #6865
teenie1

Quote:
I purchased a Onkyo receiver last week as well. Have not installed it since I have to make some modifications to the entertainment unit. I'm hoping that running all my HDMI's thru the receiver might resolve this issue?? Keeping my fingers crossed and hope to try it out in the next couple of days.
Ooh...keep me posted! Hope it works.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #6866
silypuddy

Does anyone in the Minneapolis area know if they are installing M-cards these days? It's been a while since I touched my CC's in my TiVo (don't ask why I'm thinking of it), but I was just wondering.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #6867
jrm01

Quote:
The first thing to check with issues like this is the Audio Output setting on TiVo. It should be set to DD > PCM, not DD 5.1.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #6868
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy View Post
Does anyone in the Minneapolis area know if they are installing M-cards these days? It's been a while since I touched my CC's in my TiVo (don't ask why I'm thinking of it), but I was just wondering.

Thanks
I doubt anyone can find an "S" card to save their life.
ONLY "M" cards are being manufactured now.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #6869
teenie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
The first thing to check with issues like this is the Audio Output setting on TiVo. It should be set to DD > PCM, not DD 5.1.
That helped! But when I called Tivo tech support, they checked that and made sure it was set to Dolby Digital instead of DD > PCM. Why?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #6870
teenie1

Can someone help me configure my CableCard? We have 2 HD Tivos, one CableCard is working fine the other is not. Can I fix this on my own or do I have to call the helpless tech support at Comcast?

Thanks!