TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #4201
soliari

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Saahhweeet!! And all on a Mac? Priceless.
absolutely on a mac! is there any other way to fly?
soliari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #4202
wesbc

Hi, I'm coming back to the tivo world with the Tivo HD. Plan on upgrading the internal drive. I'm reading up on all the issue with the WD green drives with soft reboot problem.

What is the current safe bet? The Seagate LPs perhaps? I understand that there's no AAM on it, but being that it's a slow spinning drive that should not be much of an issue.

Thanks!
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #4203
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Hi, I'm coming back to the tivo world with the Tivo HD. Plan on upgrading the internal drive. I'm reading up on all the issue with the WD green drives with soft reboot problem.

What is the current safe bet? The Seagate LPs perhaps? I understand that there's no AAM on it, but being that it's a slow spinning drive that should not be much of an issue.
I don't think there have been any problems reported with the Western Digital WD10EVDS and TiVo HD yet.

As I posted earlier it was a lot quieter than the Seagate ST31000322CS I tried the first time around. It may cost a few dollars more, but worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #4204
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
So far the only drives to suffer the soft reboot issue belong to WD. Per Craig's note above, the WD10EVDS is still a safe bet (as of today anyway). The Seagate LP series should work fine as well. I have two Seagate 1.5TB LP drives on order for an NAS I'm building. At 5900 RPM I expect they'll be quiet (and run cool) but I'll report back in case anyone's watching.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #4205
Spenner

I have a 4-month-old Tivo HD, upgraded to 1TB with the WD10EVVS. Starting yesterday the Tivo is rebooting itself "often". Last night it was about every 10 minutes, after 3rd one we gave up watching for the night. Today I just set it to record a couple of movies in a row so that I'd know if it was rebooting, and sure enough after about 1-1/2 hours a movie was recorded in 3 pieces due to the reboots.

I still have to try the kickstarts, but I'm wondering what my strategy should be if I need to replace the HD or the Tivo itself. Since the current one is still functioning somewhat, if I buy a new 1TB drive before trying return this one for warranty, can I use the it (the current one) to image the new drive, so that I keep my recordings and cablecard pairing? Or must I use my original 160GB drive to setup the new one?
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #4206
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
I have a 4-month-old Tivo HD, upgraded to 1TB with the WD10EVVS. Starting yesterday the Tivo is rebooting itself "often". Last night it was about every 10 minutes, after 3rd one we gave up watching for the night. Today I just set it to record a couple of movies in a row so that I'd know if it was rebooting, and sure enough after about 1-1/2 hours a movie was recorded in 3 pieces due to the reboots.

I still have to try the kickstarts, but I'm wondering what my strategy should be if I need to replace the HD or the Tivo itself. Since the current one is still functioning somewhat, if I buy a new 1TB drive before trying return this one for warranty, can I use the it (the current one) to image the new drive, so that I keep my recordings and cablecard pairing? Or must I use my original 160GB drive to setup the new one?
Sorry to hear that your TiVo isn't behaving. It does sound like the hard drive is failing. These things happen.

If the kickstarts don't do the trick I would probably reinstall the original hard drive and run it for a bit to make sure there isn't something else going on. If things run normally I'd go ahead and pick up another of the recommended 1TB drives and try using your current 1TB drive to image it and keep the recordings (Section V, 19b of the FAQ). There are no guarantees that the problem won't migrate but it sounds more like the drive itself (trouble handling I/O corrections, bad sectors...?) than actual data corruption. Worst case is that you have to use your original hard drive to image a new one. You were wise to keep it.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #4207
Tivogre

OK. I am really interested in getting a 1.5 or 2tb drive working in a Tivo HD.

I believe I understand all of the limitations (1TB per partitions, 2TB total) => maximum size of 1TB + original drive.

What I don't understand is why one can't expand one of the existing media partitions to 1TB, THEN create a new partition pair using the remainder of the drive.

This should allow use of a full 1.5 or 2TB drive.

Is this a tools issue? A fundamental Tivo issue I don't understand?

I see that the pdisk utility seems to be available for Tivo on the MFSLive disk.... but I'm not expert enough to understand how to expand or destroy / recreate one of the existing partitions.

Am I way off base here?
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #4208
dale77095

UNCLE!!

I have a Tivo Series 3/HD and it has not been modified. It's running V11.0x. Recently I came across an external drive from Fantom - good price - good reviews..bought it. After using it for awhile with my W7 computer, I decided I didn't really need it and thought how great it would be if I could just use it on my TiVo. Since it supported USB and eSata - I decided to connect it and see what happened. I did a few Internet searches and re-found this site. (I've not been here since I upgraded (twice) and had to recover (once) my Series 1 Tivo - years ago.) Anyway - read a few posts and figured it might work. Tried it and Tivo saw the drive and said that it was not supported. It's a WD10EAVS.

I kept reading and convinced myself that the WD10EAVS might not work after all - but it's too late - I had the bug - I now HAD to have and external drive on my HD Tivo. I found the long thread with many posts and tons of good information and concluded that by purchasing the proper 1TB Seagate drive (ST31000322CS) and the proper enclosure (Antec MX-1) I'd be good to go with a super easy (plug it in) upgrade cause my HD Tivo has NEVER been modified. Long story shorter - it doesn't work either. Before you ask - yes - powered down the Tivo and drive before connecting etc, etc.

The Tivo sees the drive, even knows the model number, but still says it's unsupported. In all that reading I kept reading about the importance of the cable - but am I really supposed to believe that the cable is keeping it from adding the device?

I'm capable of going through the long (MFSLIVE, etc) process of upgrading, but I'd be really happy to just be able to use the external drive as is. 21 hours of HD doesn't go far enough. At this point I'm considering connecting the new drive to my W7 PC just to be sure it works, but I'm worried that Windows might put a signature on the drive and that the Tivo might not like that.

So I'm posting here asking for advice. I appreciate any help you guys can give in...thanks!!

If I have to go the "long" route, then I may as well try to use both my 1TB drives...but again - I'd be happy just to use the plug and play route if possible.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #4209
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
Am I way off base here?
Well, the answer is maybe, probably or yes. There is a specific reason that you can't expand the size of TiVo's HDD recording capacity to anything greater than the original HDD size plus 1TB and it has to do with the TiVo HD's kernel limitations.

That said, it in fact can and has been done with the Series3, but it takes more than a passing knowledge of TiVo's OS and inner works to do it. AFAIK no one has accomplished it with a TiVo HD.

If you're bound and determined to go there the best place to start would be to search the author of winMFS's web site forum:

http://www.mfslive.org/forums/

You'll have plenty of company but to date Spike, the creator of winMFS, has made it clear that it's not something that can be done at least right now.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #4210
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale77095 View Post
UNCLE!! I have a Tivo Series 3/HD and it has not been modified.
Welcome...back! It's always good to have an early pioneer in our midst! I remember those Series1/Hinsdale days. Life is much better now.

First...let's clarify what model of TiVo you have. Based on your recording capacity it is almost certainly what everyone refers to as a TiVo HD.

TiVo HD (TCD652160)

All high-def TiVo's are of the Series3 line. For reference purposes the original model is referred to as a Series3, yours is a TiVo HD and the most recent model is a TiVo HDXL.

Now if you carefully read through the first post you'll see that the only external hard drive that you can use with your TiVo HD via plug and play is the Western Digital My DVR Expander. Even though TiVo will recognize the hard drive, no other external drive will work by simply plugging it in.

There is the option of "marrying" an unapproved drive to the internal drive. It involves pulling the internal drive and connecting both it and the new external drive to a PC and running a program called winMFS. As you've figured out, it would be just as easy to simply upgrade the internal hard drive to 1TB if you're going to go to all of that trouble. Put the original hard drive on the shelf as a backup and be done with it. Lots of real estate and one less failure point.

Your best bet is to read through the first post completely and weigh your options. OR you could just go out and buy a 500GB or 1TB WD My DVR Expander. The caveat emptor is that the 500GB models seem to be failing on a regular basis after about 12 to 18 months. The 1TB model hasn't been around long enough to determine if it will suffer from the same short lifespan.

It sounds as if you're a pretty savvy guy and know your way around computers. If so upgrading TiVo's hard drive will be a cake walk. Read the FAQ. Everything you need to know is there. Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be enjoying more space in no time!

Oh, and yes, it's best to start with a fresh, unformatted hard drive. If you have a windows formatted drive be sure to completely wipe it clean with a 3rd party program before attempting the upgrade or the program (winMFS) will not recognize it.

Best of luck and post any other questions you might have.

Last edited by richsadams : 12-07-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: tyop...d'oh!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #4211
Tivogre

It CAN be done (as referenced by the DDB folks); there is an ebay guy selling the 2TB drived for Tivo HD.

Apparently he went the rout of creating "combined" media partitions vs. pairs.

The DDB folks were complaining in one thread about him selling "their stuff".

I wonder, if I bought one of those working drives from ebay, could I create a back up and then restore it to multiple drives for multiple Tivos?

Oh... dvr_dude on ebay is the guy who sells the 2TB drives that work on the Tivo HD.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #4212
dale77095

Red face I wish I'd caught that.....

Quote:
Welcome...back! It's always good to have an early pioneer in our midst! I remember those Series1/Hinsdale days. Life is much better now.

First...let's clarify what model of TiVo you have. Based on your recording capacity it is almost certainly what everyone refers to as a TiVo HD.

TiVo HD (TCD652160)

All high-def TiVo's are of the Series3 line. For reference purposes the original model is referred to as a Series3, yours is a TiVo HD and the most recent model is a TiVo HDXL.

Now if you carefully read through the first post you'll see that the only external hard drive that you can use with your TiVo HD via plug and play is the Western Digital My DVR Expander. Even though TiVo will recognize the hard drive, no other external drive will work by simply plugging it in.

There is the option of "marrying" an unapproved drive to the internal drive. It involves pulling the internal drive and connecting both it and the new external drive to a PC and running a program called winMFS. As you've figured out, it would be just as easy to simply upgrade the internal hard drive to 1TB if you're going to go to all of that trouble. Put the original hard drive on the shelf as a backup and be done with it. Lots of real estate and one less failure point.

Your best bet is to read through the first post completely and weigh your options. OR you could just go out and buy a 500GB or 1TB WD My DVR Expander. The caveat emptor is that the 500GB models seem to be failing on a regular basis after about 12 to 18 months. The 1TB model hasn't been around long enough to determine if it will suffer from the same short lifespan.

It sounds as if you're a pretty savvy guy and know your way around computers. If so upgrading TiVo's hard drive will be a cake walk. Read the FAQ. Everything you need to know is there. Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be enjoying more space in no time!

Oh, and yes, it's best to start with a fresh, unformatted hard drive. If you have a windows formatted drive be sure to completely wipe it clean with a 3rd party program before attempting the upgrade or the program (winMFS) will not recognize it.

Best of luck and post any other questions you might have.
Thanks Rich! I appreciate the timely response. I suspected it was something obvious that I was missing.

So...l'll start reading and I'll definitely have a few questions. It's really good to know that some smart people are just a few clicks away.

I'll let you know where I end up. At this point I'm intending to use both my new 1TB drives in the Tivo and leave my original drive as a backup. Few details to work through I guess. I do have a couple of questions now as I begin thinking about it....

1) Do you have a 3rd party format tool that you recommend?
2) Provided that I connect the eSata drives to internal (on-board) Sata connectors, is there any reason I can't leave them in their enclosures? I ask this question because I don't have any way to provide them power in my computer. I have two Sata power cables in the computer and one powers the C: drive and the other powers the DVD drive. I guess if I don't have to boot from CD/DVD, then I could borrow those cables (data and power) for one of the new drives. This may be a lame question - I don't know. This PC is my first exposure to Sata - my old XP PC ran reliable for years and just recently gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a computer from Woot.
3) I ran the Hitachi HDDScan3.2-release against my WD10EAVS while it was connected USB and it *appeared* to work when I set the AAM from 254 to 128. I say *appeared" because when I re-ran the utility it was back to 254. Do you know of that drive's AAM can be modified? Does it have to be connected via Sata to work?

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #4213
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
It CAN be done (as referenced by the DDB folks); there is an ebay guy selling the 2TB drived for Tivo HD.
I stand corrected. Previously there was an ebay seller selling a single 2TB drive for Series3's and selling TiVo HD's with 2 1TB drives (basically a 1TB TiVoHD with an internal 1TB eSATA drive). I see now that someone else is selling a single 2TB drive for TiVo HD's (better option than the dual drive concept). Not something we can replicate with winMFS, but if the OP's up for it.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #4214
richsadams

Quote:
It's really good to know that some smart people are just a few clicks away.
Oh...I wouldn't go that far.

Quote:
1) Do you have a 3rd party format tool that you recommend?
2) Provided that I connect the eSata drives to internal (on-board) Sata connectors, is there any reason I can't leave them in their enclosures? I ask this question because I don't have any way to provide them power in my computer. I have two Sata power cables in the computer and one powers the C: drive and the other powers the DVD drive. I guess if I don't have to boot from CD/DVD, then I could borrow those cables (data and power) for one of the new drives. This may be a lame question - I don't know. This PC is my first exposure to Sata - my old XP PC ran reliable for years and just recently gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a computer from Woot.
3) I ran the Hitachi HDDScan3.2-release against my WD10EAVS while it was connected USB and it *appeared* to work when I set the AAM from 254 to 128. I say *appeared" because when I re-ran the utility it was back to 254. Do you know of that drive's AAM can be modified? Does it have to be connected via Sata to work?

Thanks again!
1. If you're referring to the upgrade, then yes, winMFS is the program you'll want to use. It's discussed in the FAQ and can be found at MFSLive.org: http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/
2. The MB has SATA connectors and the enclosures have eSATA connectors. You probably have cables w/eSATA connectors on each end. SATA cables are very inexpensive and having a couple around never hurts: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 If your computer is fairly recent it probably has several empty SATA connectors on the MB and extra SATA power connectors (usually wrapped up with all of the cables coming out of the power supply). Otherwise you can pick up a 3-way SATA power splitter and use the DVD SATA power cable to create two open connections: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
3. The WD10EAVS is an A/V GP drive and IIRC the AAM should already be set to 124. Odd that it isn't. In any case, yes, you should be able to adjust it but you'll need an older version (v2.11) of the Hitachi Feature Tool to do it. The link is in the FAQ (Section IV, #31). Since it's a DOS program I've always connected the hard drives directly to the MB to run it, but I think it will also work with eSATA...but not USB. You can set the AAM any time without having an impact on the drive's contents.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 12-08-2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Add URL's for new member.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #4215
Mike1138

Getting ready to buy a drive to upgrade my TiVo but I can't find the WD10EVDS on Newegg. Will the WD10EADS work okay? It sounds like there might be issues with the Caviar Green drives? Should I skip the WD drives all together, and if so what should I buy?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #4216
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1138 View Post
Getting ready to buy a drive to upgrade my TiVo but I can't find the WD10EVDS on Newegg. Will the WD10EADS work okay? It sounds like there might be issues with the Caviar Green drives? Should I skip the WD drives all together, and if so what should I buy?
When I was looking (Sep/Oct/Nov) I didn't see any of the "EV" drives on Newegg so I ended up getting them from Amazon.

The WD10EVDS is still on the "Good Drives" list in the first post of this thread. No problems reported for this drive - yet.

WD10EACS, WD10EADS and WD10EVVS have all been removed from the recommended list.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #4217
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1138 View Post
Go through BING and the WD10EVDS is at onSale for about $90 + shipping. You do get BING cashback, but search and you will see the drive elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #4218
drey

Quote:
The "green technology is the problem" theory has been proposed from a number of folks for several years now. However WD GP drives did not exhibit the soft boot issue originally yet they've always touted the "IntelliPark" technology. In the beginning all of their GP drives worked with all TiVo models (I still have one of the original drives which worked in our Series3 and TiVo HD (although it's working as a backup drive now and no longer in one of our TiVo's). It was only after various changes were made to the drive lines (and then in some but not in others) that issues have arisen. Some are no longer working at all and others are exhibiting the soft reboot issue...all models which worked w/o any problems initially.

So good ideas and input but I'm still more inclined to believe it has something to do with firmware changes and not the "green" technologies, although they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
After doing more research on the issue, I'm actually happy to mention that I was able to make newer "unworkable" WD10EADS and WD10EVVS to be perfectly compatible with TiVo HD and in some instances even compatible with Series 3. The issue definitely has to do with WD's "IntelliPark" that is proprietary to WD Green drives.

So far results look very good. If there is enough interest, I probably will write-up a little "how-to" and post it once I fully confirm that I do works.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #4219
Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
So far results look very good. If there is enough interest, I probably will write-up a little "how-to" and post it once I fully confirm that I do works.
The WD10EVVS I bought on 9/7/09 recently had the rebooting problem. Kickstart 57 seems to have fixed it (for now). At the time I thought it'd be a safe drive since it was supposedly the same one used in the Tivo HDXL. I'd be interested in hearing your findings, especially if my Tivo starts having more problems.
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #4220
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
If it's something most of us "lay people" can do it would be most welcome!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #4221
dale77095

OK - so I'm in the middle of the upgrade for the 2nd time tonight and wondering - how long should MFSCOPY take? The first time I was doing the copy it got down to 17.5 mins left or so and stayed there for about 20 minutes with no change. I decided that something must be wrong and cancelled it, shut down the computer, checked all the connections and started it over. This time I remembered to disable my anti-virus thinking that was probably my issue, but now it seems to be stuck at 18 mins left with AV disabled.

After I restarted it, I went browsing the forum and noticed that some people say this process can take a long time if you're USB connected, but I'm not. I'm upgrading my original TiVo HD 160 GB drive to a WD10EAVS 1TB Sata drive. The new drive is in an external enclosure, but that seems to be OK. I guess the question is how long should I wait until I figure this is not working? I intended to add my new Seagate 1TB to this once it's done, but I can use it for the internal drive if necessary. I just don't know what to expect.

Any ideas from those that have 'been there and done that'?

thanks,
d
Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #4222
MPSAN

Quote:
If it's something most of us "lay people" can do it would be most welcome!
If it is Intellipark doing it, I think that WD MAY send a program (on request???).

If I were to call them I might ask them if they could send me wdidle3.exe to run on a WD10EADS or EVVS, etc. They may say they have no idea what that program does or what you are talking about. I'm just sa'in.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #4223
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
If it is Intellipark doing it, I think that WD MAY send a program (on request???).
If I were to call them I might ask them if they could send me wdidle3.exe to run on a WD10EADS or EVVS, etc.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...30&p=591241846

WDidle3_1_00.zip

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-08-2009 at 10:56 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #4224
drey

You guys both are right. It is indeed wdidle3.exe that disables IntelliPark. Once disabled, I can successfully reboot both HD and S3.

The only issue with wdidle3.exe is that it needs to run from DOS. Essentially, the steps are:

- Create bootable CD-ROM (or floppy drive, if you have it) with wdidle3.exe on it

- Connect "bad" WD drive to SATA. Ensure it is not in RAID or AHCI, but rather in EIDE Compatible mode. This is needed so older DOS can detect the drive.

- Boot from from above CD/floppy and run "wdidle3 /D" to disable IntelliPark. The message should say that it has been disabled.

- Remove the drive, load TiVo image and test. You should no longer have "soft-boot" problem.

Below is the link to bootable CD that I created with wdidle3.exe on it. When at DOS prompt, change to drive letter R: and access wdidle3.exe from there.

http://tiny.cc/o7Lvr

-

Last edited by drey : 12-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #4225
dale77095

Quote:
OK - so I'm in the middle of the upgrade for the 2nd time tonight and wondering - how long should MFSCOPY take? The first time I was doing the copy it got down to 17.5 mins left or so and stayed there for about 20 minutes with no change. I decided that something must be wrong and cancelled it, shut down the computer, checked all the connections and started it over. This time I remembered to disable my anti-virus thinking that was probably my issue, but now it seems to be stuck at 18 mins left with AV disabled.

After I restarted it, I went browsing the forum and noticed that some people say this process can take a long time if you're USB connected, but I'm not. I'm upgrading my original TiVo HD 160 GB drive to a WD10EAVS 1TB Sata drive. The new drive is in an external enclosure, but that seems to be OK. I guess the question is how long should I wait until I figure this is not working? I intended to add my new Seagate 1TB to this once it's done, but I can use it for the internal drive if necessary. I just don't know what to expect.

Any ideas from those that have 'been there and done that'?

thanks,
d
OK - so I've been stuck at 18 mins left for over 2 hours. While searching through the forum I found some people talking about theirs getting stuck and the general conclusion was that there must be an error on the original TiVo drive that prevents the MFSCOPY from completing. The article went on to suggest that I use the RESTORE feature of WinMFS to get by this.

I'm tempted to cancel this and try to proceed with the instructions as if it worked since WinMFS recognizes the format as a TiVo S2 or S3. I'm equally tempted to try it again with my Seagate as the target drive instead of this green WD drive. Of course, if the error is with the original TiVo drive, that would be pointless.

So - I intend to cancel this MFSCOPY and proceed with the instructions. Worst case, it doesn't work and I start over with a restore to the WD drive. At least I *hope* that's the worst case.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #4226
dale77095

Quote:
OK - so I've been stuck at 18 mins left for over 2 hours. While searching through the forum I found some people talking about theirs getting stuck and the general conclusion was that there must be an error on the original TiVo drive that prevents the MFSCOPY from completing. The article went on to suggest that I use the RESTORE feature of WinMFS to get by this.

I'm tempted to cancel this and try to proceed with the instructions as if it worked since WinMFS recognizes the format as a TiVo S2 or S3. I'm equally tempted to try it again with my Seagate as the target drive instead of this green WD drive. Of course, if the error is with the original TiVo drive, that would be pointless.

So - I intend to cancel this MFSCOPY and proceed with the instructions. Worst case, it doesn't work and I start over with a restore to the WD drive. At least I *hope* that's the worst case.
OK - the early returns are in....

The system booted OK and it saw 318 hours of HD recording available...that's pretty sweet. All of my shows (15ish) showed up in "Now Playing", but only about 5 of them actually have content, so I deleted the rest (that's a bummer cause I had some Stevie Ray Vaughn in there and some Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, etc). Anyway - it's recording King of the Hill as I type and it appears to be working OK. I plan to put it back together proper now and see what happens. My original TiVo HD 160 GB drive is on the shelf.

In retrospect, I probably should've just shelled out $129 for the DVR expander and waited for them to have them in stock and ship. I really hate losing my SRV...damn.

Regardless of that...thanks for all the help Rich!!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #4227
richsadams

Quote:
OK - the early returns are in.... The system booted OK and it saw 318 hours of HD recording available...that's pretty sweet.
Excellent! I'm wondering if the shows that were saved were on your hard drive before you connected your external drive?

In any case, although frustrating I'm glad you stuck with it. You can now relax because eventually you'll have so many recordings saved that you'll be so busy watching TV you won't have time for anything else!

Welcome to the (very) Big Boys Club!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #4228
dale77095

Quote:
Excellent! I'm wondering if the shows that were saved were on your hard drive before you connected your external drive?

In any case, although frustrating I'm glad you stuck with it. You can now relax because eventually you'll have so many recordings saved that you'll be so busy watching TV you won't have time for anything else!

Welcome to the (very) Big Boys Club!
I may not completely understand your question..but...here's my answer.

I was tempted to put the single drive in and see how it looked before expanding to the 2nd drive. Since it was going to be so much trouble (physical location of the Tivo, etc) and since it was only a 1 minute operation to go ahead and add the 2nd drive - I decided to forego the intermediate testing.

All of my recordings on the Tivo we "live" recordings, meaning that none of them were in the Deleted Recordings folder. Ironically, the ones I lost included ALL of the ones that I had marked 'Save Until I Delete'

My original hope had been to put grow the TiVo's storage capacity (immediately) and eventually find a way to burn my recordings to a DVD, instead of a VCR. Which brings this question: Why in the world does TiVo still have a save to VCR? How do most people save their recordings? HDMI signal split to a DVD recorder? (I don't even know if an HDMI splitter exists...I'm just guessing it would.)

Thanks again Rich. The encouragement and info were both valuable components to the success of the upgrade.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #4229
jlib
Lean Forward

Thanks, drey, for the sleuthing on the Intellipark/Soft Reboot issue and wdidle3.exe. This is indeed big! The Intellipark feature is not needed for our purposes anyway. I hope to be able to test this some weekend soon since my drive is a victim of this problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #4230
richsadams

Quote:
I may not completely understand your question..but...here's my answer.

How do most people save their recordings?
I should have been more clear about the recordings saved/lost question. If there were recordings on your TiVo before you connected your external hard drive they would not have been lost when you divorced your external drive. I was just wondering if the recordings that survived your upgrade were made prior to connecting your external hard drive.

I think most people use TiVo Desktop or one of the other third-party programs like KMTTG (I use iTiVo) to transfer their recordings to their computers and then edit them (VideoReDo TVSuite is the #1 editor for Windows-based computers...one day they promise to have it for Mac's) and burn them to DVD. Or I'm sure some folks just transfer them to their computers and then burn them to DVD.

Enjoy!