TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
TiVo Steve

Intergrate with Netflix

It would be very cool if you could add Netflix Watch Instantly!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Steve View Post
It would be very cool if you could add Netflix Watch Instantly!
Uh, it's already there on the HD Tivo units.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Uh, it's already there on the HD Tivo units.
In the new beta TiVo Search feature(you know, the one this forum is dedicated to )?. I'm pretty sure you still can't add anything to Netflix Watch Instantly from the TiVo interface, which is what I think TiVo Steve was asking for (and which I, for one, would very much appreciate).
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
Big +1 I'm hoping Tivo well add that.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Yes, if you can add in Netflix watch instantly choices that would put Tivo ahead of other Netflix streamers.

A browsing app to look over what is available just in Stream instantly options would be more useful to my family though.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Yes, if you can add in Netflix watch instantly choices that would put Tivo ahead of other Netflix streamers.

A browsing app to look over what is available just in Stream instantly options would be more useful to my family though.
I'd want both options, ideally!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
treaty

Agreed - it would be really neat for TiVo to extend the new TiVo search across the Netflix play now library using the Netflix API...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

We all agree that it would be cool as well, we all love the Netflix feature here at TiVo too. The Netflix API's have some limitations at this time that makes this level of integration difficult, if not impossible. But it's something that obviously would be useful.

Pony
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Mr Flippant
Regular User

It would be good for Netflix marketing to have their content appear in a search. The more results non Netflix subscribers see the more likely they may be to join. Netflix.com is wasy to search but to have it done on the TV side really makes a lot of sense, I hope they can be convinced to expand their API to include searching functions.

Good luck
Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
wgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flippant View Post
It would be good for Netflix marketing to have their content appear in a search. The more results non Netflix subscribers see the more likely they may be to join. Netflix.com is wasy to search but to have it done on the TV side really makes a lot of sense, I hope they can be convinced to expand their API to include searching functions.

Good luck
Well, I'm a NetFlix user, and would love this. But if you can imagine how many hits there might be from NetFlix, I think this would drive non-NetFlix users nuts. It might even drive users crazy. But I'd love to try!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
WeBoat

I'm wondering since it does search for Amazon rentals, that they may not add netflix because it would detract from the amazon revenue stream. I'm sure they would rather you rent a movie than watch it from your netflix account.

Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
Mr Flippant
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBoat View Post
I'm wondering since it does search for Amazon rentals, that they may not add netflix because it would detract from the amazon revenue stream. I'm sure they would rather you rent a movie than watch it from your netflix account.

Just a thought.
I am not going to rent from Amazon when I can do so for free with Netflix. I have not used Amazon Unbox and do not intend to as long as I have Netflix. In fact I would prefer to turn off the Amazon results except I would go to Netflix and order it.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flippant View Post
I am not going to rent from Amazon when I can do so for free with Netflix. I have not used Amazon Unbox and do not intend to as long as I have Netflix. In fact I would prefer to turn off the Amazon results except I would go to Netflix and order it.
Well, Netflix isn't really free is it?
I get what you're saying and agree 100%.

I already had a Netflix sub when Amazon VOD came along. I considered it a useless feature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
treaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
We all agree that it would be cool as well, we all love the Netflix feature here at TiVo too. The Netflix API's have some limitations at this time that makes this level of integration difficult, if not impossible. But it's something that obviously would be useful.

Pony
Really? That's a bummer... I can search Netflix and add movies to my cue from an app on my iphone... figured it'd be a snap on the Tivo Guess I'm not surprised to hear the Netflix API has issues though... issues strictly related to the "watch now" content I'd guess?

Thanks for the input Pony.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaty View Post
Really? That's a bummer... I can search Netflix and add movies to my cue from an app on my iphone... figured it'd be a snap on the Tivo Guess I'm not surprised to hear the Netflix API has issues though... issues strictly related to the "watch now" content I'd guess
Boxee and several iPhone applications (including the free PhoneFlix) all allow users to search the Netflix database and add programs to the queue.

If this is done in an 'unofficial' way, Netflix may frown on commercial products and/or licensees (like TiVo) using the same method. If it were permitted, I suspect both TiVo and Microsoft would have that feature in their existing Netflix apps.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

you must integrate Netflix if you want this to really help. Seriously. Otherwise I just find it to be a glossy tivo search. You should also make a search engine that truly does hold every movie and show ever made. Even if its not on, you should have the power to study any film, also if that film is not coming on, make a feature in the search to say last time it was.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Well, Netflix isn't really free is it?
I get what you're saying and agree 100%.

I already had a Netflix sub when Amazon VOD came along. I considered it a useless feature.
The catalog for "watch now" on Netflix is severely limited. If you want to watch Batman Dark Knight on your TivoHD from netflix, your beat. Amazon has it for rent as well as alot more new releases. I signed up for the 8.99 Netflix plan, love it but I can't lie and say the library is awesome. its not.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAccardi View Post
The catalog for "watch now" on Netflix is severely limited. If you want to watch Batman Dark Knight on your TivoHD from netflix, your beat. Amazon has it for rent as well as alot more new releases. I signed up for the 8.99 Netflix plan, love it but I can't lie and say the library is awesome. its not.
True enough, but if I want to see a movie bad enough, I'll put it in my regular queue and get a DVD.
My point was, why would I want to rent from somewhere else when I'm already paying Netflix.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Quote:
True enough, but if I want to see a movie bad enough, I'll put it in my regular queue and get a DVD.
My point was, why would I want to rent from somewhere else when I'm already paying Netflix.
If were talking about instant on, then thats why you would consider Amazon. Strictly for the "now" factor.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
dylanemcgregor

Just a quick question to clarify, as I don't currently have a TiVo HD to check, but are you saying that you can't integrate the Netflix Watch Now with the new TiVo search functionality...or that there is no way to search Watch Now from the TiVo at all?

I currently use a plugin to watch Netflix on the Xbox, and I can view my instant queue and select films from that, but I can also search through the entire catalog (both Watch Now and regular DVD) and add a movie to either queue, all directly from the Xbox interface...seems strange if this can't be done on the TiVo.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The Tivo only accesses your instant queue.
You have to browse and add movies to your instant queue via the PC.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #22
DAccardi
Tivo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post

Pony

Hmmm , really? Xbox 360 you can browse their entire netflix catalog. I'm not buying it.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
Scottish

Quote:
Hmmm , really? Xbox 360 you can browse their entire netflix catalog. I'm not buying it.
With regard to the official Xbox 360 integration that was released in November with the New Xbox Experience, this is not true. It IS true that you can do it with some unofficial Windows Media Center plugins and such.

Regardless, I'll also cast my vote for seeing Netflix Watch Now results in TiVo Search. That would be fantastic. Even being able to browse Netflix's Watch Now catalog would be nice, rather than having to put something in your Instant Viewing Queue.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #24
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

+1

As I'm exploring the idea of dumping cable in favor of going OTA, it would be great to know if the season pass shows that I have would be available via Netflix. I can see some of the shows being available for download from Amazon, but not all.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #25
Test

Saw this posting in the coffee house

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=437651

it links to this TiVo Twitter account that says netflix is in TiVo search

http://twitter.com/tivodesign/status/5896823439
Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Hmm, those links you posted make it sound like you can just search the Netflix queue. Not seeing that.

From what I gather, the only thing new is results show Netflix if what you're searching for is available from them.

I might be more apt to use Tivo Search now.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Hmm, those links you posted make it sound like you can just search the Netflix queue. Not seeing that.

From what I gather, the only thing new is results show Netflix if what you're searching for is available from them.

I might be more apt to use Tivo Search now.
Correct. Netflix is now an additional source for content you are searching for using Tivo Search. I had hoped for a true Netflix interface to the Instant Watch catalog. Like the other online apps, I think it will take time for it to be fully populated with titles. Some folks are not finding shows/movies offered by Netflix using Tivo Search that they already have in their Instant Queue.

Agreed though: I'll use Tivo Search more because of this addition!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #28
refried

I tried this out last night. I have LOST season 1 in my instant queue. I was able to find LOST and select season 2 and go directly to an episode. I was not able to add season 2 to my queue, which I was hoping to do.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #29
tinminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
one dogsmess is another mans fertilizer.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
tinminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
what about ultra man?