TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #301
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
My (2) Comcast techs arrived at 9:30 this morning, and just left (it's 3pm). Yup - 5.5 hours. And I still don't have a working TivoHD
TiVo with a single "M: card works great in Salem, NH on Comcast.
In fact I have 6 DVRs with "M" Cards

Kingston is just to far in the woods
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #302
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
No, more info should be there, see this TiVo support page (and select the type of CC that applies to your case)
I had already printed that screen out and showed it to the techs. I pointed to the AUTH field and said "this field needs to show as S before the cable card will work. We're not even seeing that part of the page." They didn't seem to care about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Yes it should have more information under that. It at least sounds like the card is registered in the DAC. Now if you go to the network setup screen are you able to see messages? Take note of the number of messages & leave that screen & then go back in to see if it is changing. That will tell you if it is communicating to the DAC.
Yes - every time I go into the Network screen the number of messages has increased.

Quote:
I am going to say sorry now for this stupid question. You have rebooted the TIVo since the last M card was installed? Sounds so far like to me that they have not sent the appropriate hits to the card. There tends to be a sequence in which they need to send them from what i understand as well. Initialize/host validation/ & then refresh services. If i am not mistaken that Val status should change as well to V0x0* that * could be a 1 or 2 if i am not mistaken.
Yes, it's V0x01. It seems like we tried every combination of sending hits to the card, rebooting, redoing guided setup. Like I said, they were here 5.5 hours.

I'm really hoping the "cable card guru" they have escalated me to knows what he's doing. I'm waiting for him to contact me to schedule a visit.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #303
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
TiVo with a single "M: card works great in Salem, NH on Comcast.
In fact I have 6 DVRs with "M" Cards

Kingston is just to far in the woods
Can I refer Comcast to your installation for reference?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #304
drhankz

Quote:
Can I refer Comcast to your installation for reference?
I'm sure I am not the only one in the NH Comast Territory.

I have GREAT Techs that made everything work - they made it feel simple.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #305
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
I'm really hoping the "cable card guru" they have escalated me to knows what he's doing. I'm waiting for him to contact me to schedule a visit.
He came today, and I still don't have a TivoHD with working cable cards.

He tried two S-cards instead of the M-card and the symptoms are exactly the same - tuner 0 gets no channels/program lock at all, and tuner 1 only gets analog 2-23. The one thing that changed was the CA screen now shows all of the fields it's supposed to, even though the AUTH field says "Unknown".

He's now escalating my case to the "Super cable card/tivo guy" who is going to see if it's something in my local network that's causing the problem. If that doesn't help, he has a tivo set up and working in his office that he will bring to my house and see if it has the same problems pairing/authorizing as mine. If his has no problem, then my signal is adequate and I can only assume it's the tivo and I'll need to exchange it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #306
richsadams

Quote:
If that doesn't help, he has a tivo set up and working in his office that he will bring to my house and see if it has the same problems pairing/authorizing as mine. If his has no problem, then my signal is adequate and I can only assume it's the tivo and I'll need to exchange it.
If only ALL cableco's had that capability (and dedication)! It does sound more and more like there is a tuner problem in your TiVo. Rare but not unheard of. Thanks for keeping us up to date!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #307
drhankz

Quote:
If that doesn't help, he has a tivo set up and working in his office that he will bring to my house and see if it has the same problems pairing/authorizing as mine. If his has no problem, then my signal is adequate and I can only assume it's the tivo and I'll need to exchange it.
OH NO - TWICE in one Month I am AGREEING with Rich. This is FUN

It is sounding more and more like it is a TiVo Problem.

This past week - I was getting some pixilation on my CableCard
DVRs including TiVo. I have each Theater DROP Specially set up
to make sure Signal Strength is set to be 90%.

When I checked this week because of seeing the pixilation - all
6 of my DVRs where showing 100%. Comcast must have boosted
the Signal Strength out in the street. If they stay at 100%, I'll
knock it down a few DB to get it back to 90%.

Has any of the TECH used their real spectrum analyzer to look
at your signal at the TiVo.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #308
richsadams

Quote:
OH NO - TWICE in one Month I am AGREEING with Rich. This is FUN
I already told you...stop drinking the Kool-Aid!

Quote:
It is sounding more and more like it is a TiVo Problem.

This past week - I was getting some pixilation on my CableCard
DVRs including TiVo. I have each Theater DROP Specially set up
to make sure Signal Strength is set to be 90%.

When I checked this week because of seeing the pixilation - all
6 of my DVRs where showing 100%. Comcast must have boosted
the Signal Strength out in the street. If they stay at 100%, I'll
knock it down a few DB to get it back to 90%.
A few months before we switched to FIOS Comcast definitely boosted the signal on our street. Prior SS would fluctuate between 92 and 98, maybe as low as 82 or so on some channels but suddenly everything was pegged at 100%. The only issues we saw were on Scripps channels (HGTV, etc.) which had some periodic pixelization. Two things coincided: added HD channels (reducing bandwidth and increased compression for each channel) as well as higher broadband speed. In the middle of the night download would go as high as 34Mbps! During the day it was another story though...apparently we have a lot of geeks on our block because it would drop to 12 to 14Mbps. Glad to have a steady 20Mbps from VZ now.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #309
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Has any of the TECH used their real spectrum analyzer to look
at your signal at the TiVo.
I think the second tech(s) that came out did. They used some kind of little analyzer box, and didn't like a "drop off" that they were seeing. So they completely replaced the cable coming from across the street, up my driveway to my house with brand new (fatter) cable. But it didn't make any difference as far as the TivoHD was concerned.

I told those same two techs that you guys advised that the signal strength needed to be at least 85 according to the tivo diagnostic screen, but they said the signal was plenty strong and they thought any stronger would be "too hot", even though tivo reported it at only 56. I told the same thing to the third tech yesterday, and he said he'd mention that to the "expert cable card/tivo" guy that my case is being escalated to. He seemed to be more open to the advice from this forum than the second techs were.

I already have a signal amp in my basement that Comcast installed years ago, and the signal strength is still only 56. Are there different strength amps?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #310
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If only ALL cableco's had that capability (and dedication)! It does sound more and more like there is a tuner problem in your TiVo. Rare but not unheard of. Thanks for keeping us up to date!
My TivoHD is "recertified" - I wonder if that was why it was returned in the first place?

I bought it on 11/5, so I only have until sometime next week to exchange it (I think). I did make one call to Tivo's cablecard hotline, so there should be a record of me having problems with it.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #311
richsadams

Quote:
I already have a signal amp in my basement that Comcast installed years ago, and the signal strength is still only 56. Are there different strength amps?
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but is there a way to remove the signal amp from the line going to TiVo? There have been reports over the years that signal amps ended up causing more problems (for TiVo) and once they were out of the loop things were good. Just a thought.

Quote:
My TivoHD is "recertified" - I wonder if that was why it was returned in the first place?

I bought it on 11/5, so I only have until sometime next week to exchange it (I think). I did make one call to Tivo's cablecard hotline, so there should be a record of me having problems with it.
Just to be safe I'd call TiVo and get a trouble ticket number. As long as you started the process under the 30 day warranty you should be fine, but having the number would be wise.

IIRC TiVoStephen (one of the TiVo employees that frequents the forum) said that all refurb units were fully bench tested prior to shipment. But of course something could have been missed.

Hopefully you can get this resolved soon! Best of luck and thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #312
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
I know it sounds counter intuitive, but is there a way to remove the signal amp from the line going to TiVo? There have been reports over the years that signal amps ended up causing more problems (for TiVo) and once they were out of the loop things were good. Just a thought.
Do you mean the signal might end up being higher than 56 if I skip the amp on that line, or are you referring to other types of problems that an amp might cause? I could skip the amp at least temporarily and see if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Just to be safe I'd call TiVo and get a trouble ticket number. As long as you started the process under the 30 day warranty you should be fine, but having the number would be wise.
Good idea.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #313
richsadams

Quote:
Do you mean the signal might end up being higher than 56 if I skip the amp on that line, or are you referring to other types of problems that an amp might cause? I could skip the amp at least temporarily and see if it makes any difference.
It's possible that the signal could/would improve, yes. There are other issues amps can cause as well (besides "small garbage in, bigger garbage out"). TiVo tuners as well as cable cards can be very sensitive to a number of anomalies introduced into the line by amps. I'm not saying that it will improve, but removing as many things as possible between the raw signal and TiVo (and being positive that the coax that carries it is as good as it can be) may make a difference.

However with all of the other info, I'm still leaning toward a TiVo tuner issue. Just wanted to see if taking the amp out of the loop might help.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #314
drhankz

Quote:
even though tivo reported it at only 56.
I'm not sure were the CableCard Locks itself down and stops
receiving the signal - but I don't think it is far from the 56 level.

The Cable Amps Cable Companies give away are NOT USUALLY
GOOD ONES. Good Cable Amps cost money. My Installation here
covers a very big Area. I have spent a LOT of money on Cable
Amps to get the Signal Levels Correct.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #315
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I just finished reading this thread and I am extremely nervous about my upcoming cablecard install. Who would think that getting something as simple as a "card" working would be such a nightmare. I only hope that I am one of the lucky ones that gets it set up without a hitch. However, knowing my luck...

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #316
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
I just finished reading this thread and I am extremely nervous about my upcoming cablecard install. Who would think that getting something as simple as a "card" working would be such a nightmare. I only hope that I am one of the lucky ones that gets it set up without a hitch. However, knowing my luck...
There's really very little need to worry. People that have problems find there way here...the majority by far have no problems what so ever. Even if you scroll back you'll see many posts by people (like us) who said that they've never had any issues.

Give the cable tech the cable card installation sheet you received with your TiVo (also found at the link below) and as long as they follow it there really shouldn't be any issues.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...10/r_id/100041

And here is a nice little video:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...ard/index.html

If something doesn't go right, TiVo Support can help and of course you can always come back here for help, but odds are everything will go fine.

Enjoy your new TiVo!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #317
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Give the cable tech the cable card installation sheet you received with your TiVo (also found at the link below) and as long as they follow it there really shouldn't be any issues.
Don't look now, but YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE!

The most recent tech is coming back tomorrow with the TivoHD that works in their office to try it on my account. If it doesn't work, then it's something on my line that's causing the problem. If it works, then it must be the tivo and I'll exchange it.

Either way, I hope this nightmare ends soon.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #318
richsadams

Quote:
Don't look now, but YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE!

D'oh! I have to admit that yours is one of the most unusual situations I've read about in a very long time. One way or the other you should be able to get this thing put to bed soon.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #319
drhankz

Quote:
The most recent tech is coming back tomorrow with the TivoHD that works in their office to try it on my account.
Is Tomorrow Wednesday or Thursday?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #320
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Is Tomorrow Wednesday or Thursday?
He's on his way right now (12/2 10am EST).
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #321
drhankz

Quote:
He's on his way right now (12/2 10am EST).
Keep us POSTED
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #322
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Keep us POSTED
He just left. He did bring the Tivo S3 from Comcast's office and we hooked it up in my living room, using the exact same cable that fed my TivoHD. He then had the cable cards hit again to authorize them. Results:

My TivoHD: No channels on Tuner 0, analog channels 2-23 only on Tuner 1, Signal Strength 56
Comcast Tivo S3: all digital channels come in perfectly on both tuners, Signal Strength 95/100.

So I think that pretty much verifies that I have a bad TivoHD. For their Tivo S3 to get 95/100 signal strength on the same line on which my TivoHD gets only 56, is pretty good evidence, yes?

Now I have to call Tivo and arrange for an exchange.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #323
drhankz

Quote:
He just left. He did bring the Tivo S3 from Comcast's office and we hooked it up in my living room, using the exact same cable that fed my TivoHD. He then had the cable cards hit again to authorize them. Results:

My TivoHD: No channels on Tuner 0, analog channels 2-23 only on Tuner 1, Signal Strength 56
Comcast Tivo S3: all digital channels come in perfectly on both tuners, Signal Strength 95/100.

So I think that pretty much verifies that I have a bad TivoHD. For their Tivo S3 to get 95/100 signal strength on the same line on which my TivoHD gets only 56, is pretty good evidence, yes?

Now I have to call Tivo and arrange for an exchange.
Call TiVo and GET another one FOR SURE after all this PAIN
They should do it WITHOUT a second of hestitation

Comcast certainly went out of their way to FIX Tivo's Problem :up
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #324
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Just got an RMA# for the exchange.

Comcast indeed went above and beyond:

1. They ran a new homerun line from my basement to my DVR location (3 hour visit).
2. They replaced the cable from the street to my house (2 techs for 5.5 hours).
3. They finally brought their "test tivo" to my house to verify mine was faulty.

All that in addition to the multiple attempts with multiple M-cards and S-cards.

I've always had good luck with the local Comcast techs.

Hopefully I'll report back in a week or two with better news.

Last edited by scooterboy : 12-02-2009 at 11:52 AM.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #325
richsadams

Quote:
1. They ran a new homerun line from my basement to my DVR location (3 hour visit).
2. They replaced the cable from the street to my house (2 techs for 5.5 hours).
3. They finally brought their "test tivo" to my house to verify mine was faulty.
Wow! You should have a pretty awesome signal once you get your new TiVo! Sorry to hear about the frustration...these things happen. But glad you've been able to resolve it.

Hope you'll be enjoying your new TiVo in no time and thanks very much for all of the follow-up posts!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #326
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.........3. They finally brought their "test tivo" to my house .........
Wow! They have a "test TiVo" !?!? I bet TWC doesn't have one of those in their entire system. I'll give 100 to 1 odds my TWC region doesn't have one. (Payable when they bring it to my house for testing, of course.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #327
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Wow! They have a "test TiVo" !?!? I bet TWC doesn't have one of those in their entire system. I'll give 100 to 1 odds my TWC region doesn't have one. (Payable when they bring it to my house for testing, of course.)
They not only have a test Tivo, but the last tech said that his boss talks directly to a couple of the lead technical people at Tivo on a regular basis. I imagine that connection had to be a result of Comcast putting the Tivo software on their Motorola boxes a while ago.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #328
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Replacement unit has arrived. I'm letting it warm up to room temperature before plugging it in. It was cooooold out on my steps.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #329
drhankz

Quote:
Replacement unit has arrived. I'm letting it warm up to room temperature before plugging it in. It was cooooold out on my steps.
Good thing it wasn't sitting in tomorrow's SNOW
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #330
dakotatt
whatwherenhow.com

"What buzz words should I use when speaking to my [Comcast] cable rep when I'm trying to explain to them what they need to do to properly pair/validate my cablecard?"

Still trying to figure this out....

dakotatt is offline   Reply With Quote