TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #241
jlc

NCIDmod 0.8 Released

NCIDmod contains 2 command line scripts to view the NCID Caller ID log and the server log. It also contains a TivoWebPlus module to view the Caller ID log.

DJL25 updated the module so it works with any version of TWP. It also finds the Caller ID log file in various locations.

If you just want view the log file, you can use the ncidmod module. If you want extra features you can use the cidrss module by David.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #242
jlc

NCID 0.74 Released

The NCID server has been enhanced to support modem output that only consists of a number or name without a date or time.

The SIP gateway was enhanced to indicate when sip packets are not being received in 1 minute intervals. This makes it easier to configure the SIP gateway for your network, and it alerts you when SIP packets stop for some reason.

See the Release Notes for all the changes.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #243
djl25
C64 hacker

Just to clarify: cidrss is bundled with TivoWebPlus 2.1x and is not compatible with earlier versions. As John said, NCIDmod will work with any TWP, or at least 1.3.1 and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
NCIDmod contains 2 command line scripts to view the NCID Caller ID log and the server log. It also contains a TivoWebPlus module to view the Caller ID log.

DJL25 updated the module so it works with any version of TWP. It also finds the Caller ID log file in various locations.

If you just want view the log file, you can use the ncidmod module. If you want extra features you can use the cidrss module by David.

djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #244
jlc

NCID 0.75 Released

This NCID (Network Caller ID) release fixes problems with the server, SIP gateways, and client. It also adds a new option to the SIP gateway, and a new client output module.

The server has four important fixes:
  • a corruption problem when sending log files over 2.000 lines
  • a call identification problem for ring and hangup
  • a client causing the server to terminate (this is the reason why the server sometimes dies on the TiVo, scripts to automatically restart the server are no longer needed)
  • the sending of a call duplicate to clients when both a MESG and NAME line was received from a modem.

The SIP gateway has two important changes:
  • a telephone line label was added to call termination information
  • a option was added to warn if no SIP packets are received in 90 seconds (for troublesome routers that quit sending SIP Invite packets until reset)

The client has two important changes:
  • a call identification problem on ring and hangup for simultaneous calls
  • the UTF-8 encoding is set because it is not the default in Windows

The long requested hangup feature was released as a client output module. It uses a modem to hangup the call but works with any NCID gateway. If a call shows a name or number from a blacklist, it will hangup the call and log it. This module requires minicom which is not yet available for the TiVo.

For a complete list of features and the release notes, see http://ncid.sourceforge.net
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #245
spnewman

I recently updated my ncid to 0.75. Works well, but the program still terminates itself. Is there a log file I can check to see why this is happening?

Thanks
spnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #246
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnewman View Post
I recently updated my ncid to 0.75. Works well, but the program still terminates itself. Is there a log file I can check to see why this is happening?

Thanks
I discovered a windows client that was able to terminate ncidd and fixed the problem in 0.75, I assumed this was the cause of the TiVo terminations since I could never reproduce them.

Check the ncidd.log file to see if it gave a reason for the termination. Are you sure it is the server terminating and not hung? Does it happen often? or at regular times?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #247
spnewman

It does not say anything about the program being terminated in the log, it seems to stop working after multiple calls. I then have to restart it in order for it to work again.
spnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #248
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnewman View Post
It does not say anything about the program being terminated in the log, it seems to stop working after multiple calls. I then have to restart it in order for it to work again.
Its acting the same as before. Which TiVo are you using? Email me, at sourceforge, a copy of the ncidd.log file where ncidd stopped working and you did a restart.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #249
Soapm

I thought I had it fixed but I guess something strange is happening with my caller id. It seems to be turning itself off.

I can turn it back on by manually executing the commands in my INIT file but once it's back on the TIVO locks up tight when the phone rings. I have to unplug it to get it to reboot. The CID will work for the first coupe of reboots with the same problem but after several reboots it doesn't start up anymore.

If this was an old windows machine I would think I had an IRQ conflict with the modem.

Its been working for close to a year with no problems and this just started about a week ago. Nothing new installed.

I have a 649DT hacked with Sapper.

What logs should I be looking in to find clues?

Last edited by Soapm : 11-27-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #250
Soapm

I did a mfsassert -please last night before I went to bed and things seem to be okay so far today. No reboots or freeze ups and the CID has been working. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #251
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
What logs should I be looking in to find clues?
When there are problems, first look at ncidd.log. If the server died, hopefully it will tell you why, if the server is hung it should still appear in the process table. If it seems hung, look at cidcall.log and see if it recorded the call. If it did the problem is with the client, if not the problem is either the server or the modem. If you created the ciddata.log file, it contains all the output from the modem. If a call is recorded here but not in the cidcall.log file, then the server is at fault. If you only see ring in the ciddata.log file then the modem is not set for Caller ID or maybe does not support it.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #252
Soapm

Thanks JLC, looks like all my logs along with my VAR partition were wiped when I did the file system fix. How do I create the cidcall.log and make sure it is running if this happens again?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #253
jlc

Quote:
Thanks JLC, looks like all my logs along with my VAR partition were wiped when I did the file system fix. How do I create the cidcall.log and make sure it is running if this happens again?
The cidcall.log file is created by ncidd if it does not exist in NCID version 0.73 or later.

You can check if any NCID programs are running with:
Code:
ps ax | grep ncid

Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #254
Soapm

Looks like I am using v0.67. Do I have any reason to upgrade?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #255
Soapm

It stopped working again.

I see this when I do PS AX

2801 ? Z 0:00 [out2osd] <defunct>

Something is inconsistent comparing my cidcall.log to my ncidd.log. I see calls in one that is not in the other and visa versa.

What all do I have to upgrade to move to a later version?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #256
jlc

Quote:
It stopped working again.

I see this when I do PS AX

2801 ? Z 0:00 [out2osd] <defunct>

Something is inconsistent comparing my cidcall.log to my ncidd.log. I see calls in one that is not in the other and visa versa.

What all do I have to upgrade to move to a later version?
You need to upgrade from your old version to the current version to get fixes specific to the TiVo. See INSTALL-TiVo.txt to help you install it. Before you do, save a copy of all the configuration files in /var/hack/etc/ncid. After you install the new package modify the new configuration files with any changes you made in the old ones. Chances are you did not need to make any changes or you only modified ncidd.conf. Do not replace the new configuration files with old ones, keep the ncidd.conf verbose level at 1.

If there is a newer version of out2osd, install it also.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #257
Soapm

This is what I got trying to start it up. Any thoughts?

Code:
4629 ttyp0    R      0:02 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --tivo --mess
4630 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --tivo --mess
4631 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --tivo --mess
4632 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --tivo --mess
4633 ttyp0    R+     0:00 ps ax
[3]-  Exit 151                ./ncidd  (wd: /var/hack/sbin)
(wd now: /var/hack/bin)
bash# 127.0.0.1:3333 - error reading "sock13": connection refused
Here are the commands I used.

# starting NCID CallerID
touch /var/log/cidcall.log &
cd /var/hack/sbin; ./ncidd &
cd /var/hack/bin; ./tivocid &
Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #258
Soapm

It seems to be ok now after a couple of reboots. Thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #259
jlc

Quote:
Here are the commands I used.

# starting NCID CallerID
cd /var/hack/sbin; ./ncidd &
cd /var/hack/bin; ./tivocid &
It looks like you tried to start NCID multiple times. When you have multiple client processes you need to either kill them or reboot.

Starting with NCID-0.72 a startup script is provided called "startncid". It will start ncidd and tivocid. It can be configured to start tivoncid in place of tivocid and to start sip2ncid, yac2ncid, ncid-yac, or ncid-page. The local timezone can also be set so when using the gateways, the local time is displayed for the call. It can be called from rc.sysinit.author or manually (/var/hack/bin/startncid).
Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #260
Soapm

Do I still need the

command or can I just use

/var/hack/bin/startncid rmpid

and it will start the whole shebang...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #261
jlc

Quote:
Do I still need the

command or can I just use

/var/hack/bin/startncid rmpid

and it will start the whole shebang...
The touch command line is not needed in the current version of NCID. The rmpid option is also not needed. Just use:
Code:
/var/hack/bin/startncid

Old 02-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #262
jlc

NCID 0.76 Released

This release has improvements and fixes for the server, gateway, and client. See the NCID homepage for more details.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #263
OOOOPS!

whats the recommended version and by that I mean incredibly stable, tivocid or tivoncid and setup using OUT2OSD or text2osd on a hr10-250 running 6.4A using the dtivo's modem and broadcasting to other tivos and pcs?

Thanks,
OOOOPS
OOOOPS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #264
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOOPS! View Post
whats the recommended version and by that I mean incredibly stable, tivocid or tivoncid and setup using OUT2OSD or text2osd on a hr10-250 running 6.4A using the dtivo's modem and broadcasting to other tivos and pcs?
The latest version of NCID is stable and each new version has fixes and improvements from earlier versions. The NCID website has a section called Known Problems so you can view problem areas for each release.

If out2osd works on your system then you should use it and tivocid, otherwise use text2osd and tivoncid.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #265
jlc

NCID 0.77 Released

This NCID (Network Caller ID) release continues with fixes, improvements, a new server feature, and a new client output module.

One problem is solved in this release is ncidd not responding to calls after some period of time on some TiVo's. This is caused by the modem dropping out of Caller ID mode and usually requires ncidd to either restart or re-initialize the modem. The solution is a new server feature.

The new feature for NCID is the ability to work with modems or systems that do not support Caller ID. This feature depends on the modem providing ring indication. NCID will indicate calls, but if no Caller ID is received, it will indicate "RING" for the number and "No Caller ID" for the name. This feature allows NCID to function as a call indicator without using Caller ID. If the modem drops out of the Caller ID mode, NCID will will flag a new call as "No Caller ID". The complete list of features is at http://ncid.sourceforge.net/ncid/ncid.html

The new ncid-initmodem client module will signal ncidd to reinitialize the modem if the server indicates a call with no Caller ID. This module should only be used for modems that drop out of the Caller ID mode. Please note that you will miss Caller ID on one call, but the modem will be fixed for the next call. A list and short decscription of all client output modules is at http://ncid.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/...?ncidmodules.1

The startncid script was improved and should be used to start the NCID programs. The default is to start the server and client. You can modify it start the gateways and to start the ncid-initmodem and ncid-yac client modules. If you use the SIP gateway to obtain the Caller ID, you also need to set your local time zone. All time zones for the US are included.

A new script called initmodem is also included. It can be run from cron to have ncidd re-initialize the modem at specific times, or it can be run manually.

The release notes are at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid...Notes.txt/view

The project home page is at http://ncid.sourceforge.net
Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #266
jlc

NCID-0.78 Released

This NCID (Network Caller ID) release contains fixes and improvements.

The server feature of responding to ring 2, from a modem not sending Caller ID, was modified to work with telephone systems that send the Caller ID before ring 1. The complete list of features is at http://ncid.sourceforge.net/ncid/ncid.html

The client was also improved and does not display a "line label" inside <> any more. The ncid-page client and ncid-tivo client were modified to properly support messages. A list and short description of all client output modules is at http://ncid.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/...?ncidmodules.1

Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #267
djl25
C64 hacker

New ncid output module for Series 3 tivos

ncid-fly is a new module for ncid to give better caller-id output when running on Series 3 units. It uses the venerable 'fly' program to generate a .png file which is then shown on screen by osdwriter. In this way, truetype fonts can be used as well as graphics. (See below for example)

I posted it over at the 'other' forum.
http://www.dealdata base.com/forum/showthread.php?p=308346#post308346

djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #268
jlc

NCID 0.79 Released

The startncid script was modified to use pgrep. A pgrep mips binary is distributed with this release. If you have a series 1 and cannot locate pgrep let me know and I will try to produce a ppc binary. The script also has support for starting djl25's ncid-fly output module, but it requires the installation of the supporting program, font, and libraries.

A new option was added to the server to turn off call support without Caller ID. The server was also modified to work with the modem phone number output from Canada telcos.

A new gateway was added, called ncid2ncid, that collects input from one or more servers, called sending servers, to another server, called a receiving server. This permits all NCID clients using the receiving server to receive data from multiple NCID servers.

The client was modified to work with the Vodafone ARC_ncidd 0.01 server. The "--call-prog" option is being depreciated and is not required any more when calling output modules.

A list and short description of all client output modules is at http://ncid.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/...?ncidmodules.1

Old 09-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #269
jlc

The TiVo ppc distribution of NCID included the mips version of pgrep by mistake. The TiVo ppc distribution on sourceforge was updated to include the ppc version of pgrep.

The ppc and mips binaries for pgrep are in a tar file attached to this post. This eliminates the need for the next version of NCID to distribute pgrep. The attached tar file also includes a README that indicates where source can be obtained.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pgrep.zip (54.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #270
jlc

NCID 0.80 Released

This NCID (Network Caller ID) release adds more client telephone number display options, a new feature, and some fixes.

Outgoing calls are now handled by the server if the information is sent to it by a gateway. The server will always log outgoing calls in the call file, but will not send them to the client unless it is configured to do so. This change does not require a new client unless it is desired to display outgoing calls.

The VoIP Gateway was enhanced to send both incoming and outgoing calls to the NCID server if the SIP connection provides outgoing call information.

More telephone display options were added to the client. The current country display codes include the United States, Sweden, United Kingdom, Germany and none. None leaves the telephone number unformatted.

The client will also display outgoing calls if configured to do so, and if the server sends it the outgoing call information.

The release notes are at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid...EADME.txt/view