TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #721
perilousp69

I had many problems with Netflix/Tivo until I ran a CAT6 cable from my router, along the outside of my house to the Tivo upstairs. I now get stunning HD quality.

I guess you just got to want it bad enough>
perilousp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #722
Sarnie24

Stupid Green Line

I have been using and loving Netflix watch instantly on TiVo for the last 6 months. But a week or two ago a stupid green line would appear at the same time the screen would freeze for maybe a second then the picture will restart all pixely, then clears up while the sound continues as if there is nothing wrong with the picture. This happens about every 20 seconds no matter what I watch or if I have anything else running on my network. This really sucks! Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas of what I could do to fix this?
Sarnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #723
rcoates777

"Retrieving" pauses ....

Gang -

When I try to watch "The Office" via my on-demand Netflix I get a pause about every minute that says "Retrieving...." The "quality" bar graph says 'HD'. I am using a wireless connection which the speakeasy.net speed test says is running at about 8500 kbs. Sometimes I'll start over in an attempt to get a new connection and it runs better. Normally it is about 9:30 PM (EST) that I am trying this.

I just tested it this morning (9 AM) and it ran flawlessly.

I'm thinking that perhaps the Netflix servers are just overloaded during prime time. Are others out there having this problem?

Thanks.

Bob

---------------
[OK, I'll confess that I didn't look through all 700+ messages but I gave it a good shot. Please don't savage me - I'm very sensitive. Is there a way that "search" can return just the posts with the desired word? Even when I check "show posts" I get the entire thread]
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #724
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777 View Post
[OK, I'll confess that I didn't look through all 700+ messages but I gave it a good shot. Please don't savage me - I'm very sensitive. Is there a way that "search" can return just the posts with the desired word? Even when I check "show posts" I get the entire thread]
I used the "Search This Thread" tool (right side of the black bar on top of the first post displayed) to search for the word "retrieving" and got just 17 hits.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #725
hummingbird_206

I searched the thread but couldn't find any info about activating the Netflix service

Every time I try to use Netflix I have to go thru the activation process. I don't use Netflix that often, and I can activate and then start watching stuff that's in my instant queue, but it's really a pain having to do the activation each time. Anyone else having this problem? More improtantly, anyone know how to keep this from happening?
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #726
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I searched the thread but couldn't find any info about activating the Netflix service

Every time I try to use Netflix I have to go thru the activation process. I don't use Netflix that often, and I can activate and then start watching stuff that's in my instant queue, but it's really a pain having to do the activation each time. Anyone else having this problem? More improtantly, anyone know how to keep this from happening?
You mention the activation process. Just to be clear, are you speaking of activation at netflix.com or on the PS3? I haven't gotten home yet to try it out, so I'm not sure if there is an activation on the PS3, but thought I'd ask.
av_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #727
hummingbird_206

I'm asking about the activation on the TiVo. There is a Netflix folder on the Now Playing screen. When I select that folder I get a Netflix activation screen with a 4 digit code and instructions to go to netflix.com/activate (on a computer) and enter the 4 digit code from the TiVo screen at that website. That then activates Netflix on the TiVo and I can then view stuff in my instant queue. Seems to me I shouldn't have to keep reactivating my account for the TiVo so I wondered if anyone else was seeing the same thing.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #728
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Having to activate every time is abnormal--you should only have to do it once. Call Netflix or TiVo to see whether they can help.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #729
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I'm asking about the activation on the TiVo. There is a Netflix folder on the Now Playing screen. When I select that folder I get a Netflix activation screen with a 4 digit code and instructions to go to netflix.com/activate (on a computer) and enter the 4 digit code from the TiVo screen at that website. That then activates Netflix on the TiVo and I can then view stuff in my instant queue. Seems to me I shouldn't have to keep reactivating my account for the TiVo so I wondered if anyone else was seeing the same thing.
Yes, as Mike just stated, something is not right; I'm not seeing this issue.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #730
hummingbird_206

I didn't think it was normal, but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing it. Guess it's just me.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #731
tattoohead

Arrow

What's the deal with the screen going grey, no sound or video. The remote control is useless and I have to reboot my box. I've got a week old Tivo HD with a month old Panasonic 50" plasma w/panasonic HTIB.

Is this network congestion or what? During the reboot period, I'm able to go on the Internet without any problems. It only happens when I try to watch a streaming movie from Netflix.
tattoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #732
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoohead View Post
What's the deal with the screen going grey, no sound or video. The remote control is useless and I have to reboot my box. I've got a week old Tivo HD with a month old Panasonic 50" plasma w/panasonic HTIB.

Is this network congestion or what? During the reboot period, I'm able to go on the Internet without any problems. It only happens when I try to watch a streaming movie from Netflix.
Welcome to the forum! Let me introduce you to the handy Search feature. Click on the "Search This Thread" pull down at upper right and enter first "gray" then do again entering "grey". You will find a number of posts that appear to discuss your issue. Good hunting!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #733
tattoohead

Thanks for the welcome dlfl...I just bought a Roku box...seems like the only thing that's gonna make it work. Now the wait for the tuner and all is well..(crosses fingers)
tattoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #734
jeni18

Netflix Retrieving every 2 minutes

Hi, I have the same problem as the OP, when watching any HD programs (e.g. Lost, Office) it stops every 2 minutes and says "Retrieving Data". I have a high speed connection (15mb-20mb download) and am connected wirelessly. I contacted Netflix and they of course said it must be my internet connection. Any suggestions how to improve this? Same thing happens morning and night. This is a great feature to have but only great if it works. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
jeni18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #735
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I assume you have the TiVo-branded wireless adapter(?) If not that might be a problem. Can you plug the wireless adapter into a laptop or pc and test the download speed using speedtest.net ? (I'm guessing the adapter will support this -- not sure.) The adapter antenna should be located as close as possible to where it is when plugged into the TiVo when doing this test.

and
Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #736
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I assume you have the TiVo-branded wireless adapter(?) If not that might be a problem. Can you plug the wireless adapter into a laptop or pc and test the download speed using speedtest.net ? (I'm guessing the adapter will support this -- not sure.) The adapter antenna should be located as close as possible to where it is when plugged into the TiVo when doing this test.
There are no published drivers for the Tivo Wireless adapter.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #737
dlfl
Cranky old novice

OK, test the download speed on a laptop or PC that has wireless. At least find out what speeds your wireless system provides. If you aren't using the TiVo branded wireless adapter on your TiVo, you probably will want to get one.

and
Old 11-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #738
jeni18

Hi,

Yes I am using the TiVo brand wireless adapter. The wireless speed from the location of the adapter is 9mb.
jeni18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #739
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Could you temporarily switch your TiVo to a hard wired internet connection just to see if that solves the Netlix problems? Then you would know it's something about your wireless connection -- or not.

Or -- I've never done this but I understand Netflix lets you instant view on a PC. Can you test that with a hard wired connection?

My internet tests around 5 to 9 Mbps. I've only had Netflix a few days but have watched several hours of HD on it with no pauses or any other kind of problem. My TiVo has a hard wired connection though.

and
Old 11-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #740
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Could you temporarily switch your TiVo to a hard wired internet connection just to see if that solves the Netlix problems? Then you would know it's something about your wireless connection -- or not.

Or -- I've never done this but I understand Netflix lets you instant view on a PC. Can you test that with a hard wired connection?

My internet tests around 5 to 9 Mbps. I've only had Netflix a few days but have watched several hours of HD on it with no pauses or any other kind of problem. My TiVo has a hard wired connection though.
I do not believe there is an HD option for the PC: AVS post.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #741
mr.unnatural

I just watched my first show streamed from NetFlix (30 Rock pilot episode) and I am not impressed. The picture quality is about what I expected and was actually quite annoying to watch. I viewed it via my HTPC and not my Tivo, hence I was using the Silverlight software viewer. I have a 60" Sony HD RPTV so the level of noise and grain were amplified to the point where the image was intolerable to me. The audio also didn't sound right, most likely because it was probably reduced to stereo vs. AC-3 for the original HD broadcast.

I held off watching a streamed program from NetFlix for quite a while because this is exactly what I expected to see and hear from this type of service. I'll just put the rest of the shows I want to watch in my queue and wait for the DVD or Blu-Ray disc to arrive. Even DVDs look better than the streamed crap on my HDTV.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #742
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I do not believe there is an HD option for the PC: AVS post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
...I viewed it via my HTPC and not my Tivo, hence I was using the Silverlight software viewer...
Why not try it on your Tivo where HD is an option?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #743
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Why not try it on your Tivo where HD is an option?
And be aware only a fraction of the instant watch videos are HD. Select the HD Genre under the Instant Watch tab in the web interface. You should see the bars all the way across with a "HD" off to the right when it's buffering.

This seems to conflict with what a Netflix CSR told me the other night, which was that all instant watch are streamed in 720p HD if your internet connection permits. If that's really true, what's the distinction of a video being in the HD Genre?

and
Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #744
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I own a TiVo, Xbox 360 and a PS3 and have viewed Netflix on all of them as well as on my PC (my PC's monitor is the same panel that I view all of the other devices on). I can tell you that the PC is by far the worst platform for Netflix streaming. For one (big) thing, there are no HD streams for it. You should definitely try it on TiVo before passing judgement. (Why would you report your impressions of streaming to a PC here? It's almost off-topic).

To see the HD genre, go to www.netflix.com/wihd?ftr=no. I believe that 30 Rock is one of those.

Netflix Watch Instantly is definitely not A/V-ophile stuff, but if you're already a Netflix subscriber, it doesn't cost anything extra. For me, at least, it has its uses.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #745
Qwertinsky

Being new the Netflix I thought I would throw my complaints into this thread just in case they are counting users with the same issues. I know some of this has probably been addressed but I have not read this entire thread, so give me a break.

I am on my third month of Netflix. We got it mainly for the streaming to our Tivo.

Overall the streaming is a real pain in the ass to use because I can not just go to the Netflix menu on the Tivo, browse the movies, and pick one like I can with Amazon and Blockbuster on the Tivo.

I have to go in to my office,
start up the computer,
go to Netflix website,
browse their selection,
add the movie I want to watch to the streaming Que,
go back out to the living room,
navigate to the Netflix menu,
pick the movie from the Que,
I can finially start the stream.

Then the aspect ratio is often messed up so I spend ten minutes dinking with the aspect settings on the Tivo and on my TV to find the proper aspect ratio combination that will put the Netflix stream in the proper aspect ratio.

Once I never could find the proper setting and had to watch an entire movie squished to 4:3.

If the stream gets interrupted for any reason (like Comcraptic internet service) you have to restart from the beginning then fast forward to the place you left off.

If you do not get 5* during the streaming quality test the streaming picture quality looks worse than the average You-Tube video.
Qwertinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #746
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertinsky View Post
Being new the Netflix I thought I would throw my complaints into this thread just in case they are counting users with the same issues. I know some of this has probably been addressed but I have not read this entire thread, so give me a break.

I am on my third month of Netflix. We got it mainly for the streaming to our Tivo.

Overall the streaming is a real pain in the ass to use because I can not just go to the Netflix menu on the Tivo, browse the movies, and pick one like I can with Amazon and Blockbuster on the Tivo.

I have to go in to my office,
start up the computer,
go to Netflix website,
browse their selection,
add the movie I want to watch to the streaming Que,
go back out to the living room,
navigate to the Netflix menu,
pick the movie from the Que,
I can finially start the stream.

Then the aspect ratio is often messed up so I spend ten minutes dinking with the aspect settings on the Tivo and on my TV to find the proper aspect ratio combination that will put the Netflix stream in the proper aspect ratio.

Once I never could find the proper setting and had to watch an entire movie squished to 4:3.

If the stream gets interrupted for any reason (like Comcraptic internet service) you have to restart from the beginning then fast forward to the place you left off.

If you do not get 5* during the streaming quality test the streaming picture quality looks worse than the average You-Tube video.
Make sure you are in the "Panel" mode before you go into Netflix. You will need to be on an SD channel first, I believe.

Also, the TiVo does, indeed, remember where it left off. I've had the occasional kick to the NPL, and it always gives me an option to resume play. The same is true when I leave the movie myself.

Lastly, just put a bunch of movies in the queue, so you don't have to worry about it for a while.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #747
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dude View Post
Make sure you are in the "Panel" mode before you go into Netflix. You will need to be on an SD channel first, I believe.
No need to be on an SD channel. You won't be able to see the results of the Aspect mode change directly on an HD channel*, but you can still read the mode in the oval in the lower right corner as you change it. But, yeah, you can't do it from within the Netflix app; you can only toggle the Aspect mode from Live TV or during playback of a recording.

Also, "Panel" isn't always the right mode for Netflix. Hence why this is a pain in the ass.

* The actual distinction is 4:3 vs. 16:9, but this just happens to coincide almost 100% with SD vs. HD. Also, the above assumes that your TiVo is set to 16:9 output; if it's set to 4:3, then it's the SD channels that don't change when you run through the Aspect modes.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #748
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertinsky View Post
In a recent Xbox update, the Netflix player was given the ability to browse 100 titles each in about a dozen genres (presumably the most popular 100 titles of each). You can play these titles without putting them in your instant queue, you can add them to your instant queue and you can delete things from your instant queue. The GUI for the new PS3 player (a Blu-ray disc) has the same capabilities. Perhaps one day they'll add something similar (or better) to TiVo.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #749
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
In a recent Xbox update, the Netflix player was given the ability to browse 100 titles each in about a dozen genres (presumably the most popular 100 titles of each). You can play these titles without putting them in your instant queue, you can add them to your instant queue and you can delete things from your instant queue. The GUI for the new PS3 player (a Blu-ray disc) has the same capabilities. Perhaps one day they'll add something similar (or better) to TiVo.
TiVo's Magret Schmidt (VP of User Experience) tweeted on November 20th that Netflix has been integrated into TiVo Search. I've never tried it though.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #750
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
TiVo's Magret Schmidt (VP of User Experience) tweeted on November 20th that Netflix has been integrated into TiVo Search. I've never tried it though.
Huh. I'll be damned if it doesn't work!!! I went into TiVo Search and searched for 30 Rock. It showed that it was in the guide, available from Amazon, Netflix and was available in HD. I brought up its Episode Guide; individual episodes showed as being available from Amazon and Netflix in HD (episodes of the current season only from Amazon). Arbitrarily, I selected Season 2, Episode 12 ("Subway Hero"). The first two choices that came up were "Watch Now" (where the only choice was "Netflix") and "Purchase From...". I selected "Watch Now" which brought me to the Netflix program description dialog for the episode, with choices "Play" and "View my Instant Queue". I selected "Play" and it started streaming the episode, in HD. It was not in my Instant Queue (I've never watched the series), nor did viewing it place it in my Instant Queue. Using the same path, I brought the episode list for Legend of the Seeker (also something I've never watched) and selected the episode which first aired on the 20th of this month, which I also started streaming, in HD.

Finally, I looked up Jarhead, which I'd watched a couple of minutes of on my PC when I first saw that it was available for Instant Watching, though I hadn't placed it in my queue. It was available from Amazon, Blockbuster and Netflix and had "Watch Now", "Rent From..." and "Purchase From..." options. I selected "Watch Now" and it started streaming from where I left off on my PC.

Pretty slick . If there's not a thread for this, I'm going to repost this to start one.

EDIT: I looked, and there already is a thread about this (here) from about six days back. As someone in that thread points out, this isn't a browser for Netflix streaming titles, but it's still pretty cool.

"
" -- hookbill