TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #6811
angra

bicker,

Thanks for your response. I should clarify that I need to figure this out in advance, if possible, because my parents will _not_ want a new tivo if they have to add 6 bucks to their monthly bills in order to get the benefit.

Also, I misspoke regarding tivos "need"ing m-card - rather, I meant "is it possible that Comcast understands that tivos can benefit from the m-cards..."

I did not know that s-cards are becoming uncommon. That is very helpful. Thanks again for your response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
You're right to ask for replies from Atlanta-area customers. This may be different from area to area. For comparison, here in Boston, they have a special code for "second CableCARD in the same device", and that's $1.75. I think that $5.99 number is probably the same as what we pay here, if there is not such a code available.

There is no such cap. Rather, the average rate charged for CableCARDs... averaged over the entire country... is reviewed by regulators.

Again, you'll want to get a local answer, but I think this is becoming less of a concern, as S-cards are becoming a lot less common.

First, there is no TiVo bias in this regard. The TiVo S3s work just as well with S-cards as with M-cards. Second, generally, Comcast isn't going to note, or consider, the destination of the CableCARD until they're in the home. Request an M-card. Hopefully that's what you'll get.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #6812
bicker
Gruff

The main reason that the S-cards are becoming less common is that Motorola doesn't even produce S-cards anymore, only M-cards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #6813
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by angra View Post
A few questions for the Atlanta area customers:

* $5.99 per card seems high - is that the price per card that you have seen? I thought that there was a FCC mandated cap of less than that.

* One card would do if it's in a m-card. Is it possible to get an m-card on request? Is it possible that Comcast knows that tivos need m-card and just do that for tivo customers without going into detail about it? I wasn't on the phone, so my dad may have mentioned the tivo, or not.
$5.99 is the standard extra outlet charge, which you'll pay regardless of card or box. If you exchange a box for a card, you just have to pay the install charge (something like $17.50). And yes, they do have M-cards. No, you can't pick one up and install it yourself, because they don't trust you.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #6814
angra

Slowbiscuit,

Thanks for your response! You say "they do have M-cards". Is there any way to ensure that that's what you get when you request a card?

I think having a tech come do the install should be fine for them. $17.50 is not onerous.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #6815
wp746911

I just got my cablecard (SA in Houston) setup and seem to get all my channels- thing is it shows a lot more channels in the guide than what I actually get- is there a way to have it only display what I actually receive?
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #6816
bicker
Gruff

Yes. In the Settings there is a configuration screen for the Channel List, and you can deselect the channels you don't receive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #6817
wp746911

I guess I knew I could deselect them manually (I do that for channels that I receive and hate- like local public access) but I was hoping the tivo could filter and not display channels that I don't receive---digital cable goes up to 1000 and I could be manually deselecting a hundred + channels...
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #6818
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
I guess I knew I could deselect them manually (I do that for channels that I receive and hate- like local public access) but I was hoping the tivo could filter and not display channels that I don't receive---digital cable goes up to 1000 and I could be manually deselecting a hundred + channels...
You are wanting it to "scan for channels" like TV's used to do. THAT would be awesome, but unfortunately the only way to do it is manually. It's not SO bad, because you can use the "down arrow" and "select" button to select/deselect (it toggles) so it speeds up the process quite a bit. It's definitely tedious, but it's the only way...
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #6819
jon96cobra

I have a scheduled appointment with Comcast Saturday at 8am -12pm for a new install for 2 cable cards. Made sure to schedule early in case the tech runs into problems I can have it cleared up before Sunday.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #6820
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon96cobra View Post
I have a scheduled appointment with Comcast Saturday at 8am -12pm for a new install for 2 cable cards. Made sure to schedule early in case the tech runs into problems I can have it cleared up before Sunday.
If you really NEED 2 CableCards - lets HOPE he brings 4
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #6821
Birdman84
Birdman84

Quote:
Originally Posted by angra View Post
Guys,

I have tried to search the thread but it is a big thread! I haven't found this answered explicitly. My questions pertain to the Atlanta market.

I am not a comcast customer, but my parents are. They have an old 2-tuner analog tivo and have been transitioned to nearly all digital service. So, they can't really dual-tune any more and I am considering giving them a TivoHD so that they can recover dual tuner service. I asked my dad to call Comcast and find out their cable card policy and pricing.

He said that Comcast reported that he could exchange one of the boxes on his account for _one_ cable-card, but that additional cards would be $5.99 per month, which he is not inclined to pay.

A few questions for the Atlanta area customers:

* $5.99 per card seems high - is that the price per card that you have seen? I thought that there was a FCC mandated cap of less than that.

* One card would do if it's in a m-card. Is it possible to get an m-card on request? Is it possible that Comcast knows that tivos need m-card and just do that for tivo customers without going into detail about it? I wasn't on the phone, so my dad may have mentioned the tivo, or not.
I am in WV not in a city and we get all the left overs from the big city area's comcast serves. I just put in a series 3 HD Tivo and called comcast 3 times being told something different. Basically the first card was free and the first person said the second card would be 7.95 a month. the next 2 said there would be no extra charge for the Mcard which I ended up getting. A week later the bill showed up with no charge for the card but 8,$ for the second hookup along with a bunch of other stuff. I ended up going into the comcast office and they said the bill was all wrong. Took off the 8$ charge said there was no charge for the extra cable channel (she called it). It really seems no one at comcast really knows what they are doing. I have found if I call in every time whatever special I am on is about over and tell them I am going to go to sat. that they will give me another special. right now I am on digital preferred with 2 specials for 39$ plus 29$ for high speed 12 Mg Internet service.
Birdman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #6822
VikingGuy84

Suggestions to tell Comcast

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for staring this thread. It truly is helpful.

I am probably going to upgrade to a Tivo HD (currently have a Series2 w/ Comcast box). So I will need to have the CableCards installed on the new Tivo HD when it arrives. Can you all recommend things I should request/ask Comcast when I call to schedule the installation?

Here is what I am thinking I need to do so far:

-Tell them the CableCard installation is for a Tivo HD box
-Ask them to be sure the tech has an M-series card (x1)
-Request for an experienced tech (will that work?)
-Need to do anything with account information? We already get HD channels/service.

Thanks so much. I appreciate it!
Jeff (Minneapolis/St. Paul area)
VikingGuy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #6823
joebrod

TivoHD for Dad in South Jersey (Audubon) is Comcast a big headache?

Is it worth it?

I live 2500 miles away and will not be able to help him set it up. He can figure things out and do things, my concern is with Comcast, their support of cable cards and SDV.

Is SDV rolling out there? Can he get a CC w/o a big hassle?

He currently only has "basic cable" (analog?) and receives HD OTA. Any insights into experiences with Comcast in South Jersey (across from Philly, not the shore) appreciated.

It would be a xmas gift to replace his series2 but is it a big box of headaches

thanx

joe
joebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #6824
jon96cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
If you really NEED 2 CableCards - lets HOPE he brings 4
Well Saturday the tech showed up and checked out the connection to the house and didn't tell me until he started work that he didn't have any cable cards and I will not be able to get any until Monday. Then when I called Comcast they said not until Wednesday.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #6825
drhankz

Quote:
Well Saturday the tech showed up and checked out the connection to the house and didn't tell me until he started work that he didn't have any cable cards and I will not be able to get any until Monday. Then when I called Comcast they said not until Wednesday.
Probably because someone else needed two and they used four
to get them WOKRING Welcome to the World of CableCards.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #6826
jon96cobra

What brand of Cable cards does Comcast use. I had a tech due out today but they just called me to reschedule since the supply they have are not working and they don't have any that will work. man I miss Cox. First time installed and I was off and running.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #6827
drhankz

Quote:
What brand of Cable cards does Comcast use. I had a tech due out today but they just called me to reschedule since the supply they have are not working and they don't have any that will work. man I miss Cox. First time installed and I was off and running.
I think Comcast use Motorola exclusively and
the OTHER Cable Companies use SA.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #6828
macjester

I'm in Morgantown WV, which seems to be aligned with the Comcast Pittsburgh regional in terms of service and policies.

I just purchased an HD. When I called, I asked if I could pick up a card (hoping that an M card would suffice and exchange TWO cable boxes - one on the TiVo S2 and one on the TV). I didn't explain this merely said I wanted a single card in exchange for two cable boxes. Clearly the CS rep knew that TiVo was involved and immediately said "you can't pick them up, only the tech's carry them, and you need two." Which implies they're S cards (or they have no clue what their talking about). I've got a service call scheduled for Monday (which is a nice $18 fee). The card cost per month is $1.99 (but since I had 4 cable boxes in the house for over 3 years, they had already reduced my additional box cost to $2.00, so I'm not really saving any additional money).

I read on the TiVo instructions that (paraphrasing) "some cards extend beyond the unit and don't allow the door to close..." Does anyone know if Comcasts cards are prone to this (I can only imagine they are -- which will send my aesthetically-sensitive wife into a complete tizzy).

I'll update once things are finished...

BTW, love the HD, got Netflix streaming up and running, very impressed.
macjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #6829
RTPGiants

My mother-in-law has Comcast basic service in the Baltimore, MD area and an HD Tivo. Recently, they seem to have eliminated all but the very basic channels from the analog tier.

Is it possible to get a CableCard from Comcast w/o upgrading to digital service? The price jump is ridiculous between analog and digital, and she doesn't want to pay this, but she'd like to get the non-premium ESPN, Food, SciFi stuff back.

Is this possible w/o paying for the digital tier?
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #6830
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post
My mother-in-law has Comcast basic service in the Baltimore, MD area and an HD Tivo. Recently, they seem to have eliminated all but the very basic channels from the analog tier.

Is it possible to get a CableCard from Comcast w/o upgrading to digital service? The price jump is ridiculous between analog and digital, and she doesn't want to pay this, but she'd like to get the non-premium ESPN, Food, SciFi stuff back.

Tivo reboot didn't solve this, but a TA reboot did.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #6831
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Is it possible to get a CableCard from Comcast w/o upgrading to digital service?
It is possible, but it is not something that is required by law, so you really just need to ask and see if you can get them to agree to it. Some folks have; other folks have not. Some folks have found that if you upgrade to digital (thereby getting CableCARDs) and then downgrade a month or two later, they let you keep the CableCARDs for a fee (typically the digital outlet fee of about $8 plus the rental on the CableCARDs), while it is possible that they'll say no and insist that you return the CableCARDs.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #6832
drcos
HD where available

Motorola or Scientific Atlanta - depends on the head end. We have Comcast in Venice (Sarasota), and our head end (and cc's) are SA.
Remember Comcast didn't build all these systems, they bought a good chunk of existing ones.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #6833
drhankz

Quote:

If you own a Business - would you GIVE AWAY what people really want for free.

Can't you receive Over-The-Air Digital TV in your Area. That is FREE
Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #6834
RTPGiants

Quote:
If you own a Business - would you GIVE AWAY what people really want for free.

Can't you receive Over-The-Air Digital TV in your Area. That is FREE
Unfortunately, she lives in Annapolis, and her OTA antenna (on the roof no less) is just out of range of just about everything due to the cliff effects.

And as to the free aspect. You'd think there'd be something between $10/month (her basic service) and $60/month (the first digital tier).

I guess the answer is to switch to FIOS, which ends up cheaper.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #6835
bicker
Gruff

In Annapolis, Comcast offers Digital Starter for $29.99 for the first six months.

From what folks are implying (did anyone actually call them to find out?), they apparently don't offer Digital Economy there (which cost about $30 per month, without any type of promotion applied, here). So it isn't like Comcast hasn't thought of having a tier such as you suggest -- they've evidently determined, through their market research, that they are better off not offering it there in Annapolis, despite the fact that they will lose some customers as a result. They're evidently balancing that detriment with the benefits they derive from their current pricing plans.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #6836
drhankz

Quote:
I guess the answer is to switch to FIOS, which ends up cheaper.
Is FIOS really Cheaper or JUST SOME SIGNUP TRICK
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #6837
Buddya

Channel Lineup Change Not Detected

I'm in San Francisco and my Tivo HD has not detected Comcast's channel lineup changes for their HD channels. Example: QVC was on channel 745, now its channel 719. Comedy Central is now on Channel 745 (which is what I'm interested in, not QVC...).

I thought the Tivo Guide would detect channel changes. Tivo Support site is not helpful.

Thanks!

Bud
Buddya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #6838
RTPGiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
In Annapolis, Comcast offers Digital Starter for $29.99 for the first six months.

From what folks are implying (did anyone actually call them to find out?), they apparently don't offer Digital Economy there (which cost about $30 per month, without any type of promotion applied, here). So it isn't like Comcast hasn't thought of having a tier such as you suggest -- they've evidently determined, through their market research, that they are better off not offering it there in Annapolis, despite the fact that they will lose some customers as a result. They're evidently balancing that detriment with the benefits they derive from their current pricing plans.
Yes, I've called them multiple times, but Comcast reps don't even understand the word "analog", so it's sort of a losing battle. But, what you're saying here is consistent with them.

As to whether FIOS is "actually" cheaper, the answer is yes if you combine phone + TV with them compared to Comcast digital + phone from Verizon.

Additionally, Comcast doesn't offer Washington DC networks (Annapolis is basically equidistant from DC & Baltimore) unlike FIOS.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #6839
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Is FIOS really Cheaper or JUST SOME SIGNUP TRICK
We compared regular price-to-regular price and FiOS came out a little higher, so as long as we have a promotion we're probably going to do better with FiOS, while if we cannot get a promotion, at the service level we want (which did happen with or former service provider, Comcast), then FiOS is a little more expensive.

Also, FiOS would not offer anything in the price-range or comparable to the service spec for Comcast's Digital Economy service (again, comparing regular prices), so if that's your chosen level of service, FiOS isn't going to be less expensive, even with a promotion, because they're not offering that level of service.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #6840
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Yes, I've called them multiple times, but Comcast reps don't even understand the word "analog", so it's sort of a losing battle. But, what you're saying here is consistent with them.
I didn't say anything about "analog".

If you want the service I referred to, you need to ask specifically for "Digital Economy". It is not analog service... it is digital service providing a limited set of cable channels: A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disney, E!, Food Network, Fox News, Nickelodeon, Lifetime, Spike TV, USA, and Weather Channel. That's it.

Again, it may not be offered where you are, or it may just be offered by request (i.e., no advertising of it), or it may just be offered if you place a service termination order.