TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 AM   #1561
mikek2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 16
Thanks moyekj for doing this so quick.

I have downloaded this version of kmttg, made the changes in the config section and tried a small file. The recording comes down fine (and is in TS format) but then VideoRedo faults. But I seem to have a problem with my setup, because if I put it back to PS and it comes up with the same error. The full message list is below.

Code:
>> CREATING C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).mpg.txt ...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\KAKUAS\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie629901969358275115.tmp --url https://10.1.1.2:443/TiVoVideoDetails?id=835218 --output C:\Users\KAKUAS\AppData\Local\Temp\meta5424644507000676852.tmp 
metadata job completed: 00:00:00
---DONE---
>> DOWNLOADING C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo ...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\KAKUAS\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie683128425485485557.tmp --url http://10.1.1.2:80/download/Play%20with%20Me%20Sesame.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=835218&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts --output "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo" 
C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo: size=8.00 MB elapsed=00:00:04 (16.78 Mbps)
---DONE---
>> Running qsfix on C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na 
qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na 
C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs(51, 2) WScript.CreateObject: Could not locate automation class named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
I was pretty sure I had it working with VideoRedo a while ago but now I'm not so sure. Any ideas. Anything I should look at. I am using Vista64.

As requested, you can download a TS file at http://members.iinet.net.au/~kookie/xfer/ . There's two files, one is the TS and the other is a PS of the same recording (if it helps).

Mike
mikek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #1562
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek2 View Post
Thanks moyekj for doing this so quick.

I have downloaded this version of kmttg, made the changes in the config section and tried a small file. The recording comes down fine (and is in TS format) but then VideoRedo faults. But I seem to have a problem with my setup, because if I put it back to PS and it comes up with the same error. The full message list is below.

Code:
>> CREATING C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).mpg.txt ...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\KAKUAS\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie629901969358275115.tmp --url https://10.1.1.2:443/TiVoVideoDetails?id=835218 --output C:\Users\KAKUAS\AppData\Local\Temp\meta5424644507000676852.tmp 
metadata job completed: 00:00:00
---DONE---
>> DOWNLOADING C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo ...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\KAKUAS\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie683128425485485557.tmp --url http://10.1.1.2:80/download/Play%20with%20Me%20Sesame.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=835218&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts --output "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo" 
C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo: size=8.00 MB elapsed=00:00:04 (16.78 Mbps)
---DONE---
>> Running qsfix on C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na 
qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).TiVo" "C:\Program Files (x86)\kmttg\Play with Me Sesame (11_24_2009).mpg.qsfix" /t1 /d /q /na 
C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoReDoTVSuite\vp.vbs(51, 2) WScript.CreateObject: Could not locate automation class named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
I was pretty sure I had it working with VideoRedo a while ago but now I'm not so sure. Any ideas. Anything I should look at. I am using Vista64.

As requested, you can download a TS file at http://members.iinet.net.au/~kookie/xfer/ . There's two files, one is the TS and the other is a PS of the same recording (if it helps).

Mike
Looking at the VideoRedo_configuration Wiki it appears that is the message you get for an unregistered version of VRD or one that you have not run through the GUI yet. Perhaps run QS Fix once manually via the GUI and then try again via kmttg.
It could also be a permissions problem if you have UAC enabled. If that's the case then perhaps try running kmttg as Administrator.

Thanks for the TS & PS files. Mediainfo recognizes the TS properly along with PIDs so I'm pretty sure VRD will work. I can't decode them without your MAK ID so can't try it but I'm fairly certain VRD will work. If you can run VRD manually and get it to work then you should be able to get it to work via kmttg as well.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #1563
mikek2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 16
Yep, it's all working now. I had already turned off UAC, but I still needed to run kmttg as Administrator. Thanks for the tip. I have only tried the one test recording, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work for all. I'll be using it over the next few days and will let you know if I have any problems.

Thank you again very much. It should save me a lot of downloading time. Pity it doesn't work for you in the US.

Mike
mikek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #1564
rfryar
My Media, My Way
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 201
Every show that I convert from MPG to MP4 gets the audio out of sync.. Has anyone else encountered this error? If I do not convert the MPG files audio stays in sync fine.

Thanks,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #1565
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfryar View Post
Every show that I convert from MPG to MP4 gets the audio out of sync.. Has anyone else encountered this error? If I do not convert the MPG files audio stays in sync fine.

Thanks,

Rick
Do you use use VideoRedo as part of the flow? It's pretty much a requirement to clean up glitches in digital cable recordings if you are going to do any post-processing such as cutting out commercials and/or encoding to different formats. You will find that for example TiVo Desktop will suffer from the same problem as well when encoding to other formats.
The glitches tend to vary a lot for me. There are actually recordings from some channels that are fine and don't need VRD QS Fix, but a lot of them do have problems and need to be cleaned up first. So I just have VRD QS Fix task permanently enabled for all my transfers and that fixes any such issues.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #1566
Jon545
Jon in LA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20
Any idea why I'd lose the ability to download from 1 of my Tivo's? It get's the program list OK, but always times out with an error when trying to download a program. Works fine for my S3, just started acting up with my S2 Humax. I checked the wi-fi strength and it seems OK. using the v0p7f version, but this started a few days ago with v0p7c. Thanks for a great program.
Jon545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #1567
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon545 View Post
Any idea why I'd lose the ability to download from 1 of my Tivo's? It get's the program list OK, but always times out with an error when trying to download a program. Works fine for my S3, just started acting up with my S2 Humax. I checked the wi-fi strength and it seems OK. using the v0p7f version, but this started a few days ago with v0p7c. Thanks for a great program.
Not sure, I never have the problem with my S3s but I have seen mention of others with the problem, usually for S2s. A couple of things to try:
Make sure the Humax tab is selected in kmttg and run File->Reset TiVo web server. Wait a minute or so and then try downloading again. If still no luck then rebooting the TiVo may fix it.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #1568
rfryar
My Media, My Way
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon545 View Post
Any idea why I'd lose the ability to download from 1 of my Tivo's? It get's the program list OK, but always times out with an error when trying to download a program. Works fine for my S3, just started acting up with my S2 Humax. I checked the wi-fi strength and it seems OK. using the v0p7f version, but this started a few days ago with v0p7c. Thanks for a great program.
I had a very similar problem with one of my TiVo's. What I did to fix the issue is log onto tivo.com, go to your account settings. It listed my TiVo's and what MVE and download options are available. All I did was uncheck MVE on all my tivos, save, then recheck them all and save again.

And magically my TiVo could once again download from the TiVo that was just showing the download list.

Hope this fixes your issues as well,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #1569
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo
 
Stormspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 4,792
So, I did a test install on my box (I have a new mobo coming and will likely have to blow away the windows install) and except for the videoredo stuff it works great. All the paths in the configuration take some experimenting though, but I can see why you might want to do those tasks in different folders. For me I want all the processing to be local with the final mpg going to my Galleon server. I don't need the MP4's as yet, except on a couple of shows that I might want to watch on my iPod touch.

One of the cool things about this is that I can transfer shows from my HD. That's incredible since none of my other TiVo's can.
__________________
137hr DTS2
20/180hr HD
166hr DTS2
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:17 AM   #1570
mikek2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=68
Adds an option to download files from TiVo in TS format (will only have an effect for Australia/New Zealand TiVos).
Adds an option to use VRD QSFix to decrypt TiVo files instead of tivodecode.
Thanks moyekj for creating this update for kmttg for us Aus/NZ users. I have downloaded and decrypted a number of TS files now and all seems to be working fine. The maximum speed I got from the Tivo with the TS format was 20Mb/s but most seemed to be around 15Mb/s in speed. I haven't tried many in PS but one I tried just now was around 10Mb/s. So the increase in speed seems to be around 50% reduction. Definitely worthwhile. Thanks again.
mikek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #1571
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Just a request - If possible could you add an option to change/enlarge the fonts used? At 1920x1200 resolution they are really, really tiny.

Thanks again for a great program!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #1572
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Just a request - If possible could you add an option to change/enlarge the fonts used? At 1920x1200 resolution they are really, really tiny.

Thanks again for a great program!
Not exactly trivial to implement, but I've added text font size config option to next release.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #1573
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not exactly trivial to implement, but I've added text font size config option to next release.
Thanks very much, that would be great. I know absolutely nothing about programming, but maybe it would be easier, if instead of configuring it for any size, you could just add a few fixed options for a few larger versions of the current font. For instance, if it's currently X Font 9, you could add options for X Font 10, 12, 14. Something like that.

Last edited by Hcour : 12-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #1574
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Thanks very much, that would be great. I know absolutely nothing about programming, but maybe it would be easier, if instead of configuring it for any size, you could just add a few fixed options for a few larger versions of the current font. For instance, if it's currently X Font 9, you could add options for X Font 10, 12, 14. Something like that.
Yes that's what's there now - just a font size with a default of 12 that you can set to whatever you want (and it's saved to config so you change it once and it will remember).
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #1575
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
Oh, is that in the present version? I didn't see it in the options. I didn't realize it was there, that would be fine, that's all I really need.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #1576
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Oh, is that in the present version? I didn't see it in the options. I didn't realize it was there, that would be fine, that's all I really need.
No, it's checked into current development version but not released yet. I have a few loose ends to finish up before a release.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #1577
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
No, it's checked into current development version but not released yet. I have a few loose ends to finish up before a release.
New version? Aside from the font options, how can you make it any better?!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #1578
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
v0p7f just released

See release_notes for details.

NOTE: For those using VideoRedo there are some important changes outlined in release notes, 1 of them being an option to use VideoRedo to decrypt instead of tivodecode, another change related to using VideoRedo without commercial detection - output file is now expected to be generated from VideoRedo instead of having kmttg run the Ad Cut task.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #1579
Icarus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Upcountry Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
See release_notes for details.

NOTE: For those using VideoRedo there are some important changes outlined in release notes, 1 of them being an option to use VideoRedo to decrypt instead of tivodecode, another change related to using VideoRedo without commercial detection - output file is now expected to be generated from VideoRedo instead of having kmttg run the Ad Cut task.
if we can do decode + qs fix in one step, what does that have to do with skipping ad-detective/ad-cut? I'm confused. Why wouldn't I want to do decode + qs fix in a single step regardless if I am doing vrd ad-detective/review/ad-cut steps?

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #1580
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
if we can do decode + qs fix in one step, what does that have to do with skipping ad-detective/ad-cut? I'm confused. Why wouldn't I want to do decode + qs fix in a single step regardless if I am doing vrd ad-detective/review/ad-cut steps?

-David
They are not related. Basically 2 things related to VideoRedo is what I was trying to communicate:
1. New option available: "Decrypt using VideoRedo instead of tivodecode"
This combines VRD QS Fix & decrypt into a single task, but requires you to have at least a minimal install of TiVo Desktop with TiVoDirectShowFilter to be able to decrypt TiVo files.

2. "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option when enabled is now different than before. Previously the Ad Cut task was still executed after VideoRedo GUI, so you would use VRD to define the cuts and then save as a project and let kmttg run the Ad Cut task. Now with this option enabled you are expected to ouput mpeg file with commercials cut out from VRD GUI itself, and kmttg won't run the Ad Cut task.
I made this change because there are some things like Audio Boost that only work when you output file from VRD GUI.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #1581
Hcour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 558
The new font size option is perfect. Very cool. Thanks again!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #1582
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo
 
Stormspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
The new font size option is perfect. Very cool. Thanks again!
Anyone have this working on Linux? How about an install guide?

Nevermind.
__________________
137hr DTS2
20/180hr HD
166hr DTS2
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #1583
Zaphod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 95
I've just started playing with this. I'm making archive DVD's of a few of my favorite old TV shows that I'm now recording on my Tivo HD. I had been using just Tivo Desktop standard and Tivo Decoder GUI but now that I see this, I can do that in one step instead of having to manually run Tivo Decoder GUI, so I love the idea!

So my initial attempt was to just set up auto-transfers with only the decrypt option selected so I ended up with just the .mpg file. That in and of itself is all working fine.

My issue is, even with the Tivo Decoder GUI before, the software I want to use to make my DVD's doesn't recognize some of the .mpg files. It's about half and half (over the many episodes of the show). Some it recognizes fine, others it can't handle.

So, I want to reencode the files into another format that hopefully my DVD authoring software will recognize. I DON'T care about pushing these back to my Tivo.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with different formats and encoding schemes and all the different possible settings for bit rates and what not.

So, in kmttg, what "Encoding Profile" should I select to simply transcode them into another format with no (or as little as possible) loss in quality? Oh, the files I'm transferring from the Tivo are HD files, 1920x1080 resolution.

Thank you.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #1584
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
My issue is, even with the Tivo Decoder GUI before, the software I want to use to make my DVD's doesn't recognize some of the .mpg files. It's about half and half (over the many episodes of the show). Some it recognizes fine, others it can't handle.
That's odd. Do you have VideoRedo by any chance? Running the trouble mpegs through VideoRedo Quickstream Fix may fix the issue. If you don't have VideoRedo there is a fully functional trial version you can try out.
Given that the ones that are not working with your DVD software likely have glitches in them (that VideoRedo would clean up) then if you were to pursue the re-encode workaround the glitches would also present problems there as well which is why I suggest trying VRD QS fix first.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #1585
Zaphod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 95
Tell me about it (being odd). The files play just fine in Windows Media Player, but the DVD authoring software just can't understand them. When I try to select one and play it, I do get audio but just a blank black screen for video. The vendor has no ideas and suggested the reencoding. They suggested converting the to an .avi file.

No, I don't have VideoRedo. I really don't want to have pay extra for this if I don't have to. I'll try the free version and see if that Quickstream fix take care of it though. If that works, will the free "trial" version work indefinitely, or is it time bombed? I' really don't plan to spend money on it even if it does work.

I've tried various reencodes within kmttg and after reencoding, the DVD software does recognize them and plays them fine. I just don't know which Encoding Profile I should use to most closely match the original with the least amount of loss of quality.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #1586
Zaphod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 95
I guess I should have just tried it before I replied. I didn't think I'd try it 'til tomorrow but I went ahead and downloaded the trial right after I posted my last message.

It appears the Quickstream Fix does the trick. Although, the outputted file is less than half the size of the original file. Are you sure we're not losing quality there?

But still, I don't want to pay the extra for VideoRedo, so back to the original question, within kmttg, what Encoding Profile should I choose to have the reencoded as close to the original as possible with as little loss of quality as possible? Or if I should create my own profile for that purpose, what settings would I use?

Thanks again!
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #1587
Icarus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Upcountry Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

This combines VRD QS Fix & decrypt into a single task, but requires you to have at least a minimal install of TiVo Desktop with TiVoDirectShowFilter to be able to decrypt TiVo files.
Ah, ok, I don't have tivo desktop installed anymore. I uninstalled it when I did the upgrade to win7. The win7 upgrade warned about it, and the newer tivo desktop wasn't available at the time, though I'm pretty sure it is now. Is it worth doing for this?

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #1588
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Ah, ok, I don't have tivo desktop installed anymore. I uninstalled it when I did the upgrade to win7. The win7 upgrade warned about it, and the newer tivo desktop wasn't available at the time, though I'm pretty sure it is now. Is it worth doing for this?

-David
I don't like to have full blown TiVo Desktop installed. However what you can do is once you install it and enter your MAK ID you can then uninstall it and it gives you the option to preserve enough files to play back .TiVo files. By doing that it keeps the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll file installed and registered which is all that is needed for VideoRedo to be able to decrypt .TiVo files.
So I think it is worthwhile having just the DirectShowFilter installed since it can save some time in kmttg by combining decrypt & qsfix into 1 step. Also useful to sometimes be able to play a .TiVo file using Media Player.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #1589
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
But still, I don't want to pay the extra for VideoRedo, so back to the original question, within kmttg, what Encoding Profile should I choose to have the reencoded as close to the original as possible with as little loss of quality as possible? Or if I should create my own profile for that purpose, what settings would I use?
Well given that VRD fixes the problem indicates that there are some glitches in the original recording (which is pretty common for digital cable recordings). Therefore there's a good chance whatever re-encode you do may have A/V sync issues or worse. However, you may try something like below to see if it helps (leaves video quality intact, re-encodes audio and re-muxes video & audio together):

Create a .enc file in the kmttg encode folder for example called me_remux.enc with the following contents:
Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
mpeg2 remux: copy video, re-encode audio

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, HANDBRAKE, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD, CPU_CORES, SRTFILE
<command>
MENCODER INPUT -ovc copy -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -vf harddup -of mpeg -o OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
mpeg

__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #1590
Icarus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Upcountry Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I don't like to have full blown TiVo Desktop installed. However what you can do is once you install it and enter your MAK ID you can then uninstall it and it gives you the option to preserve enough files to play back .TiVo files. By doing that it keeps the TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll file installed and registered which is all that is needed for VideoRedo to be able to decrypt .TiVo files.
So I think it is worthwhile having just the DirectShowFilter installed since it can save some time in kmttg by combining decrypt & qsfix into 1 step. Also useful to sometimes be able to play a .TiVo file using Media Player.

That's a great idea. Thanks for the detailed info. Trying it all now.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |