TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #1891
DeWitt

My instalers wanted a single run to the HD TIVO, as they said they had been told that the TIVO needed a hot signal. I told them how I wanted it wired, and they said OK, just understand it is not how we recommend you do it. Of course I had done my research and knew that the too hot signal was the problem.

I found that although they might make recommendations the installers where open to doing it how I wanted.

As i stated in a previous post it all works fine for me with the router on the third floor. Signal strength is fine even with the splitters. I ued to have to attenuate the signal at the tivo but since the software fix I don't anymore. The Tivo shows 100%.

Internet service is rock solid and very fast. I had good quality cable modem service before, but Fios blows it away. It is really nice not to be on shared node with 250 of my neighbors.

And for the record, my router has a three way and a two way splitter between it and the ONT and over 100 feet of coax. (admittedly high quality quad shield coax...)
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #1892
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
The only thing that MIGHT be a POSSIBLE issue (I have no idea one way or the other) is IF the router has to be within x feet of the ONT and the run is just too long to meet that (say x + 20. feet).
I found this:

What is the recommended maximum range between units?
Recommended maximum of 300 feet of cable between the root node and the coax outlet.

It was here:
http://mocablog.net/faq/

I have the ONT on the outside of my house. It is connected via a coax, perhaps about 30-40 feet long to a distribution box on the outside of the house with a splitter. From that splitter there are 4 drops into the house. Two of them run all the way to the other side of the house (burried under ground)... probably 80-100 feet or so. I have the NIM100 (yes a pretty old FIOS install) attached behind my family room HDTV connected to one of the 100+ foot drops. I have a FiOS STB in the master bedroom. Cable length between them must be about 150 feet or so. The MoCA works fine. I get the guide and VOD without issue. Of course, both of those communicate over the MoCA to the NIM which is connected to my ethernet infrastructure.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #1893
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Your diagram suggests your coax is split twice before it gets to your loft. FiOS will check your signal strenght. I wouldn't be surprised they want to replace your splitters, maybe even replace some connectors.
Hmmm... actually, I have an amp... that will have to come out for MoCA to work right? That could be a problem that FiOS will have to solve, AFAIC. EDITED: Wait -- FiOS tends to run hot, so I won't need the amp anymore.

Quote:
Is there an easy way to change your wiring so it goes to your loft then gets split to your bedroom?
No.

Quote:
edited to add--based on Dewitt's subsequent post I think the only issue will be if your coax has problems--damaged by a staple for example.
Damage I think isn't going to be an issue, but it's a long run, from the subterranean basement to the attic above the second floor, then back down into the loft on the second floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #1894
lew

MoCA compatable amps exist. I don't think you'll need one.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #1895
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

From what I have read in this thread, you shouldn't have any issue with the placement of your router. It doesn't need to be near the ONT, they just need the ability to run cat-5 or coax from one to the other. For my original install FIOS had to run over 150ft of cat-5 for my router. They were on opposite sides of the house and their was no attic to run through on the ONT side of the house. They wound up running it outside the house to my other attic.

That reminders me, I have to take down that wire now that I finished re-wiring my entire house...
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #1896
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Okay, reading a bit more on this adapter. If I understand it correctly, essentially, it allows you to turn any coax port in your home into an Ethernet access point, as long as you have a MoCA router connected to the coax in your home. I suspect that I could plug a hub (or another router, configured without DHCP) into that adapter, and have the same effect.
You got the general idea. Its just like having another ethernet cable running preinstalled in your house.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #1897
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyber View Post
For my original install FIOS had to run over 150ft of cat-5 for my router. They were on opposite sides of the house and their was no attic to run through on the ONT side of the house. They wound up running it outside the house to my other attic.
That's not permitted here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #1898
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
That's not permitted here.
They're not running CAT-5 for you anyway, so it's irrelevant.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #1899
bicker
Gruff

Yes true.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #1900
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Sorry if my post was unclear, I meant to highlight the distances (in wire length) between the ONT and the Router and that VZ would install from that far away. The actual route the wire took was not what I was pointing out.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #1901
rage777

Quote:
That seems very promising. If I could get some assurance that there is a way to have a TiVo S2 drive a FiOS STB, this might still be a possibility.
I have my Tivo S2 hooked up with my FIOS STB and it works fine, not great but good enough. It just takes a long time to change channels before recording a show. So if you are on channel 4 and want to record channel 7, you will see some of the channel 4 in the recording. I have found that you can record HD channels also, it just saves them as SD (yeah, I am not sure why you would want to do it either, but I was just testing).
rage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #1902
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

S2 boxes work fine with FIOS. You can even use the serial cable with the QIP-2500 Moto boxes but there is still a glitch when switching to a 4 digit channel via the serial cable. 4 digit channels are duplicates in the La Connexion FIOS lineup so this doesn't affect me personally. The serial cable is fine since 4 digit channels are not important to me.

IR blasters work fine - even for 4 digit channels.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #1903
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage777 View Post
I have found that you can record HD channels also, it just saves them as SD (yeah, I am not sure why you would want to do it either, but I was just testing).
My S2 is connected to a widescreen display, so I suppose I could record the HD version, save it as SD, then stretch it on playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
S2 boxes work fine with FIOS. You can even use the serial cable with the QIP-2500 Moto boxes but there is still a glitch when switching to a 4 digit channel via the serial cable.
I've never used a serial cable with my S2. What's the actual cable I need to use?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #1904
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I've never used a serial cable with my S2. What's the actual cable I need to use?
It's the one that's not the IR blaster. It looks like a mini-headphone plug on both ends.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #1905
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
(From post of 10/27) There is no longer any charge for the CableCard installation.
Where did you get that information?

I just got another TiVo and need a cablecard for it. I called and was informed they would charge me $79 to install the cablecard. I argued that there was no other way for me to get the Cablecard, and they offered to mail me for free, and for 3 months of free rental, one of their DVRs. I spoke to a "supervisor" who said the best they could do was split the cost over 3 payments. Somehow this seems to violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the requirement for companies to supply Cablecards for 3rd party devices. I canceled that appointment and used the online chat feature to order one. They scheduled an appointment and didn't say anything about the cost for the installation. I can't imagine they aren't going to try to charge me for it.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #1906
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
It's the one that's not the IR blaster. It looks like a mini-headphone plug on both ends.
Oh, you mean it was shipped with the S2? Hmm.... I don't know if I still have it then... I'll have to look.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #1907
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Oh, you mean it was shipped with the S2? Hmm.... I don't know if I still have it then... I'll have to look.
Yes, they shipped with my S2DT boxes along with the IR blasters.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #1908
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
Where did you get that information?
Verizon corporate.

You won't be charged for the installation.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #1909
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
There are actually a couple of different cables depending on what ports are on each device. If the serial ports on the devices look like mini headphone jacks, I think a standard stereo M-M cable will work.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #1910
joe1515

Has any else been having problems with the audio dropping in an out when watching Smallville?

This is the only issue I ever have.

Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #1911
bicker
Gruff

AAMOF, I have. I attributed it to flakiness of our local CW feed to local service providers, but I could believe that it was a network-wide problem, unless someone says that they are sure that they didn't note any audio drop-outs.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #1912
joe1515

Quote:
AAMOF, I have. I attributed it to flakiness of our local CW feed to local service providers, but I could believe that it was a network-wide problem, unless someone says that they are sure that they didn't note any audio drop-outs.
Sorry for my ignorance but I am curios, what does AAMOF stand for?
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #1913
bicker
Gruff

As a matter of fact.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #1914
dlfl
Cranky old novice

It's usually quicker to Google an acronym, e.g:

http://www.netlingo.com/word/aamof.php

There is an "official" TC acronym glossary, linked from the FAQ tab obove.

But AAMOF isn't in it! Does that mean using it is a "technical foul" ?

Another thing I've noticed is that (according to the "official" glossary) "OP" means "original poster" or "original post" (depending on context). However some folks here use it to mean "other person", which can be confusing.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #1915
bicker
Gruff

AAMOF -> http://www.netlingo.com/word/aamof.php

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #1916
MookieDoug

From 10/27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
S-CARDs were discontinued 18 months ago and Verizon hasn't carried them in any market since late spring / early summer.

Verizon installers don't have S-CARDs unless they were just removed from another customer's home in the past day or two. When the installer calls 30-60 minutes prior to their arrival, tell them you want M-CARDs so they can pick them up from the office if necessary.

My installer in N. VA said he hadn't seen a S-CARD in almost ten months. All they have at the VA/MD office is boxes and boxes of M-CARDs.
I haven't been on the forums much since my initial install of cable cards for my Fios service back in March. Last week I bought a new Tivo HD XL for my basement, and called to schedule a time to get an M-card for it. The conversation went like this:

Me: I just bought a Tivo and I need a cable card for it.
CSR: Sure...but I imagine you'll want 2 cable cards so you can utilize the dual tuner functionality.
Me: No, I just need 1 M-card.
CSR: We don't have the M-cards yet, only S-cards.
Me: That's funny, because when Verizon came to install a cable card into my other Tivo in March...let me see, that was 8 months ago...they supplied me with an M-card.
CSR: Well, that's not possible. We don't have M-cards.
Me: I'd be happy to take a photo of it and email it to you if you want.
CSR: That won't be necessary. So do you want 2 cards or 1?
Me: I want 1 M-Card.
CSR: I can't order you an M-card. I can either put you down for 1 single card or 2 single cards. What do you want?

Well, it went on from there like a bad Abbott & Costello routine. I got confirmation from him that A) Even if he orders me 2 S-cards, I'll only be charged for the amount of cards the Tech installs, and B) the tech would call me before arriving. So I'm sure that the local tech/install offices only have M-cards (which I'll confirm with them before they arrive), but it also appears that the CSR reps at Verizon STILL have either not been told, or not trained well enough to know that Motorola only supplies M-cards now. It's amazing to me that they don't seem to care enough to fix their facts.

(Having said all that, watch the tech arrive next week with S-cards only...)
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #1917
bkdtv

The Verizon CSR was probably told that during their training course 18-24 months ago. That information is out of date.

You only need to order one CableCard. You'll get a M-CARD.

The installer should call you 30-40 minutes prior to their arrival and ask you about the equipment. Tell them you have a TivoHD that requires one M-CARD.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #1918
bicker
Gruff

Very likely. It should be noted, though, that a subscriber can say that they want to order one M-card all they want, but if the CSR has no way to enter such an order, and can only enter an order for a certain number of CableCARDs (generic, or worse, for S-cards), then that's as far as a subscriber can expect to get with the CSRs. So you are taking your chances ordering one CableCARD in that situation -- you could end up with an S-card. I think it might be safer to order two, and then return one.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #1919
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

I just got 3 m-cards installed today. 2 replaced 4 s-cards on my 2 existing tivo's and 1 was installed in my new tivo. I just ordered cablecards. Didn't specify s or m. When the installer got here he knew the difference and said he hasn't been issued an s-card for months.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #1920
sender_name
XM 202!

so should I cancel my 2 cards and then reorder 1 card to move from 2 S to 1 M so I only pay for 1 card a month? I mean it makes sense, but how to I explain to the CSR that I am being overcharged because I have outdated stuff...Maybe if i call and claim the cards dont work..
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote