TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #91
moorek

I think I am there

Following your steps (kind of), I found that Nero DVD Decoder had control of all playbacks except for TIVO files. I tried to change the merit value but it had no effect. I increased the Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder and still nothing. I ended up unregistering the Nero DVD Decoder and I can finally playback MPG files with WMP and make edits with Window Movie Maker.

Thanks for your help!
moorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #92
ggieseke

I had a hunch it might be Nero (I have it too). You may be able to keep all of the Nero software functional and still play MPEG-2 files properly by increasing the merit value of the Microsoft MPEG-2 Demultiplexer - once the Nero Splitter grabs hold of the initial stream it tends to prefer its own codecs. I have Desktop Plus and its demuxer has a higher default value than either Nero or Microsoft, so it wasn't an issue on my system and Nero still works fine.

In any case, glad you got it working.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #93
xxray5

help

i have a working video and audio codec and im using the TDCM program to play the video, the the audio and video don't line up, any way i can fix this? im using a audio and video codec i know for a fact works because i got them from this site
xxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #94
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxray5 View Post
i have a working video and audio codec and im using the TDCM program to play the video, the the audio and video don't line up, any way i can fix this? im using a audio and video codec i know for a fact works because i got them from this site
Can you post the exact demuxer, audio & video codecs it's using? The file version numbers of each (right-click the codec & choose Properties) and a screenshot of your filter graph would also help.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #95
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I was able to get the video working, but I don't get any audio. I am running TiVo Desktop 2.7 on WinXP and I have a S3. The program gives me two audio codecs from which to choose, and neither works.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #96
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I was able to get the video working, but I don't get any audio. I am running TiVo Desktop 2.7 on WinXP and I have a S3. The program gives me two audio codecs from which to choose, and neither works.
If you have a Series 3 or HD, you are probably missing a Dolby codec. Google ac3filter for a good one.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #97
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

And now it works! Thanks!

I used to have ac3filter installed, but I probably uninstalled at one point forgetting what it was for.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #98
tgorton

another shout out to ggieseke

just wanted to post another thank-you to ggieseke -- like so many others, many months of .tivo-playing issues solved in seconds.

many thanks!
tgorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #99
jbonfilio

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Here's the latest version y'all. I improved the algorithm used to find compatible codecs and rewrote the user interface from scratch. The Preferred Filters are all listed in a single dialog, and now you can open a .TiVo file to see the actual filter graph that DirectShow picks and test playback from within the program. I also added a crude help file to provide some basic documentation.

Special thanks to Dan203 and CuriousMark who were kind enough to test some of my alpha versions and offer valuable input. The .ZIP file now contains 4 files instead of a single .exe, but just extract them to any directory that you prefer and run it from there.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Greg
Ok, a lot of this stuff is over my head. I transferred a TiVo program to TiVo Desktop on my laptop (XP Pro). There is no audio when I play back the TiVo file in Windows Media Player. I downloaded your TDCM and I was able to get the audio when selecting ArcSoft codec, but only when I play it back within the TDCM window. When I play the same file in Windows Media, no audio. I converted this program to an mpg file with the Direct Show Dump Utility, which is awesome, but no audio there either.

Can anyone help? Also, if i share this program with someone, will they have the same problem with audio, or is that problem associated with each computer? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #100
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonfilio View Post
Ok, a lot of this stuff is over my head. I transferred a TiVo program to TiVo Desktop on my laptop (XP Pro). There is no audio when I play back the TiVo file in Windows Media Player. I downloaded your TDCM and I was able to get the audio when selecting ArcSoft codec, but only when I play it back within the TDCM window. When I play the same file in Windows Media, no audio. I converted this program to an mpg file with the Direct Show Dump Utility, which is awesome, but no audio there either.

Can anyone help? Also, if i share this program with someone, will they have the same problem with audio, or is that problem associated with each computer? Thank you in advance.
TDCM only affects .TiVo files, so once you convert them to MPEG it has no effect. Try setting your preferred audio codec back to (none) and install ac3filter (http://ac3filter.net/). That codec does the trick for most people.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #101
megohms

I had the same issues. Followed your suggestion and it works with windows media player 11. Thanks ggieseke!
megohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #102
jbonfilio

Ah, i guess the problem was windows media player 10. I updated to 11, and now i have sound! Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #103
mrfelix

I have a Tivo, and have a Tivo Desptop Plus. I have transfered the Tivo files to the PC as xxx.tivo files. I have watch them on my PC.

I have downloaded TDCM, and have used it to also to view the xxx.tivo on my PC.

Now wish to send the xxx.tivo to my DVD and create a file which will be used on DVD players everywhere. But the DVD players don't have knoweldge of TIVO.

Do you have a converter will take a xxx.tivo into an xxx.mpeg/mgp/wmw/asf/mov/mp4/etc. or any of the files that will be read of the DVD players.

Mike
mrfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #104
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfelix View Post
I have a Tivo, and have a Tivo Desptop Plus. I have transfered the Tivo files to the PC as xxx.tivo files. I have watch them on my PC.

I have downloaded TDCM, and have used it to also to view the xxx.tivo on my PC.

Now wish to send the xxx.tivo to my DVD and create a file which will be used on DVD players everywhere. But the DVD players don't have knoweldge of TIVO.

Do you have a converter will take a xxx.tivo into an xxx.mpeg/mgp/wmw/asf/mov/mp4/etc. or any of the files that will be read of the DVD players.

Mike
TiVoDecode will decrypt them to straight MPEG-2, but you would still need DVD authoring software. Just burning a video file to a DVD doesn't mean it will play in most players.

Take a look at VideoReDo. IMHO, it's by far the best package out there and you can try it free for 15 days. If you already have DVD burning software like Nero you can save a few buck and just get the Plus version instead of the all-in-one TVSuite version.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #105
mrfelix

Quote:
TiVoDecode will decrypt them to straight MPEG-2, but you would still need DVD authoring software. Just burning a video file to a DVD doesn't mean it will play in most players.

Take a look at VideoReDo. IMHO, it's by far the best package out there and you can try it free for 15 days. If you already have DVD burning software like Nero you can save a few buck and just get the Plus version instead of the all-in-one TVSuite version.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a newbie. I have crawled the Nero internet and have nothing about the PLUS version of Nero. Can you show me the PLUS version?

Can you also lead me in Nero and tell me all the clicks that I can though it. I am very NEWBIE!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #106
ggieseke

If you already have Nero, just run NeroVision Express. It has fairly good help files and isn't that hard to figure out.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #107
mrfelix

Quote:
If you already have Nero, just run NeroVision Express. It has fairly good help files and isn't that hard to figure out.
OK!!! I have used Nero Vision IMPORT to load my tivo files, and have burn my first DVD.

Unfortunately, the pictures are all screwed up.... they are "pixelated" with bars. I can almost "read" the image.

Anyone have a good idea?

Mike
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #108
mrfelix

Quote:
OK!!! I have used Nero Vision IMPORT to load my tivo files, and have burn my first DVD.

Unfortunately, the pictures are all screwed up.... they are "pixelated" with bars. I can almost "read" the image.

Anyone have a good idea?

Mike
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #109
spocko
TiVo HD

After upgrading from Tivo Desktop 2.7 to 2.8 I had to monkey with my directshow filters to get everything working properly again (for both .tivo and .mpg files). I left the preferred filters set at (none) in TDCM, but I still found it useful for identifying which filters are applicable. Then I used DirectShow Filter Manager to tweak the filter merits until I found a combination that works well. With the free version of TD, the Main Concept splitter automatically gets used for .tivo files, but does not seem to be available for .mpg files, so a different splitter is needed for .mpg. The Nero and Haali splitters did not work well for me, both had problems with seeking when using WMP for playback. I found another one on my system called "MPEG-2 Demultiplexer" that seems to work well (I don't know where it came from). I use the Intervideo WinDVD audio and video decoders which also seem to do a good job. Some video decoders I tried did a poor job of deinterlacing.

Note that after changing filter merits, I found that I had to log off and back on before the new merits took effect. This is on WinXP.

Another interesting observation is that I had some mpg files that were previously reporting incorrect durations. After changing splitters, those files now work correctly. So apparently some splitters are more robust than others, and it might be worth experimenting with different ones if you have any problem files.

I'm posting this just as an FYI, in case someone else might find it useful. Also, if someone knows of a better tool than DirectShow Filter Manager for managing filter merits, please share.

Thanks again to the author of TDCM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #110
ggieseke

Desktop 2.8 (even the Plus version) doesn't register anything except the TiVo DirectShow Source Filter and the TiVo MovSource Filter with Windows. That way the Plus codecs are only used for .TiVo files. TDCM won't see them either at this point, and I'm working on a new version. I don't know if it's really necessary, since it appears that if you have Plus the only way that it won't use those codecs is if you use TDCM to override them. Setting all three settings to (none) works fine for me.

If you have Plus you can make those codecs available to TDCM & other programs by running regsvr32 on every *.ax file in the MainConcept subdirectory, but be EXTREMELY carefull as that could interfere with other programs. At the very least take a System Restore snapshot before trying it.

The MPEG-2 Demultiplexer comes with Windows and works quite well for most other apps. If you need a generic tool to modify merit settings, try DSFMgr (http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm). Keep in mind that TDCM has no effect whatsoever on anything but .TiVo files.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #111
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
If you need a generic tool to modify merit settings, try DSFMgr (http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm).
That is what I used, in combination with GraphEdit to see the results. After changing merits in DSFM, I had to log off and back on before I could see the changes in GraphEdit. Not a problem, I just want to make others aware of this.

If it's easy to implement, it might be handy if TDCM could alter merits. That could make it a simple alternative to DSFM and GraphEdit for setting the filters for mpeg2 files.

Last edited by spocko : 11-12-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fix typos
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #112
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
If it's easy to implement, it might be handy of TDCM could alter merits. That could make is a simple alternative to DSFM and GraphEdit for setting the filters for mpeg2 files.
Agreed. I thought about it quite a bit and decided to keep it as safe as possible for now so that it couldn't possibly affect anything except .TiVo files, but there would be some advantages too. I may stick an "Advanced" option with an appropriate warning in the next version. It's sort of a flip a coin decision, especially since it's only available on this forum.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #113
sandycityscott

Arrow Desktop Plus 2.8 and Black Video in Windows Media Center

After upgrading to TiVo Desktop Plus 2.8, I see nothing but a black screen (audio works) when playing files back in Windows Media Center. Windows Media PLAYER works correctly, but Windows Media CENTER cannot display video. Are others having this problem? I've had it on 2 different machines now, and downgrading back to TiVo Desktop Plus 2.7 fixes the issue.

Would love to use the new Blackberry exports in 2.8, but if I can't use Windows Media Center (with my PC remote control) to play files, I'm stuck with 2.7.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #114
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycityscott View Post
After upgrading to TiVo Desktop Plus 2.8, I see nothing but a black screen (audio works) when playing files back in Windows Media Center. Windows Media PLAYER works correctly, but Windows Media CENTER cannot display video. Are others having this problem? I've had it on 2 different machines now, and downgrading back to TiVo Desktop Plus 2.7 fixes the issue.

Would love to use the new Blackberry exports in 2.8, but if I can't use Windows Media Center (with my PC remote control) to play files, I'm stuck with 2.7.
There were always problems with conflicts between the Plus codecs and Media Center, which I think is why they don't register the codecs with Windows anymore. You can try registering them manually if you want to give it a shot and see what happens. Open up a Command Prompt and change to the "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\MainConcept" directory.

To register them, enter the following command (without the quotes).
"for /f %i in ('"dir *.ax/b"') do regsvr32 /s %i"

To unregister them, enter
"for /f %i in ('"dir *.ax/b"') do regsvr32 /s /u %i"

I don't have Media Center, so let me know how it goes.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #115
sandycityscott

Quote:
There were always problems with conflicts between the Plus codecs and Media Center, which I think is why they don't register the codecs with Windows anymore. You can try registering them manually if you want to give it a shot and see what happens. Open up a Command Prompt and change to the "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\MainConcept" directory.

To register them, enter the following command (without the quotes).
"for /f %i in ('"dir *.ax/b"') do regsvr32 /s %i"

To unregister them, enter
"for /f %i in ('"dir *.ax/b"') do regsvr32 /s /u %i"

I don't have Media Center, so let me know how it goes.
No dice... even tried copying over the 2.7 files and registering them, but same thing.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #116
areohbee

Your App Allowed Me To Instantly Fix My Problem

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Although I could not get the help file to display, I figured out how to use it and switched my codecs to use SnapStream's (BeyondTV), since it was working stellarly with very little CPU usage, and now TiVo Desktop/WMP12 plays them just as well.

Windows 7/64-bit + NVidia 8500GT graphics card.

Amazing that problems like this still exist, and so little built into OS/Apps to help resolve... - glad to get it fixed for at least this one case. Maybe you could sell your app to Microsoft(?)!

One would've thought that the ones provided with TiVo Desktop Plus (MainConcept) would've worked well, but for me they did not - choppy video, not properly de-interlaced.

So, what works:
- MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
- SnapStream Video/SP Decoder
- SnapStream Audio Decoder

Not sure whether all three of these changes were necessary, but I'm done messin' wif-it - good luck y'all.

Rob Cole
w w w . r o b c o l e . c o m
areohbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #117
Gpowers

Thanks for the utility. It solved my problem quickly. Just need to get the right pices and put them all together.

1. Your utility from post #8
2. The ac3filter audio codec from http: slash slash ac3filter.net (can't post a link yet)

Why the Tivo Desktop program does not do this is beyond me. It was very frustrating to follow Tivo instruction, to transfer the TV show from My Tivo to my PC. And then not be able to watch them ON my PC.

Greg Powers
Gpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #118
wmgoat

it works on win 7 - WMP 12

Got it to play .tivo files on Win 7 and WMP 12.

MPEG Demuxer: MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer
Audio Codec: MPEG Audio codec
Video Codec: mainConcept (muvee) MPEG-2 Video Codec

Great program, once I figured out how to use it. Win7 help didnt do much, only displayed a line that told me that any info was not going to be shared.
wmgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #119
wmgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpowers View Post
Why the Tivo Desktop program does not do this is beyond me. It was very frustrating to follow Tivo instruction, to transfer the TV show from My Tivo to my PC. And then not be able to watch them ON my PC.

Greg Powers
Tivo wants you to upgrade to Desktop Plus, they get extra revenue this way and the average user doesnt know codecs from beans.
wmgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #120
hilaryvm

Okay, so when I try to play a recording on my laptop transferred from my Tivo (Series 3 HD), it just instantly crashes windows media player. I got your utility, and I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to do or how to work it. A lot of times, when I pick certain settings, I either get an error message that requires me to close the program, or it states that it stopped working and closes. I managed to find a couple of settings that didn't cause the program to shut down, but I am still unable to get any .tivo files to play on my computer. It won't just shut down Windows Media Player, but I just get a squiggly on the screen with no picture. It turns out that I can play normal .tivo files on WMP, but when I try to play an HD show, it won't work. I tried using the Divx player for the HD show, and it said that the file appears to contain no video track. Is there any way to play HD shows?

Last edited by hilaryvm : 01-27-2010 at 11:39 PM.
hilaryvm is offline   Reply With Quote