TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #1921
RevRick

Quick questions: I haven't upgraded a Tivo for at least a couple of years, but I bought my son-in-law a new HD Tivo and am going to sell his old RS-TX20. I'm wanting to upgrade the hard drive, so I can sell it on eBay or Craigslist by giving the new owner confidence that the hard drive won't fail, etc. Also, the added recording time will enhance its saleability. Anyway, I used to use Hinsdale's guide, back in the day, but don't have access to a Windows computer with an OS earlier than XP. I'm also not even remotely good with Linux, so I had to be ultra careful following Hinsdale's guide. It also looks like InstantCake is much easier.

Can someone point me to the proper thread that will answer all of these questions or would you be so kind as to answer them here?

1) Is InstantCake the way to go, now?
2) It will work with a an XP machine, right?
3) The RS-TX20 will recognize a 500gb IDE drive, right?
4) Any precautions etc. I should take?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #1922
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRick View Post

1) Is InstantCake the way to go, now?
2) It will work with a an XP machine, right?
3) The RS-TX20 will recognize a 500gb IDE drive, right?
4) Any precautions etc. I should take?

Thanks in advance.
1) InstantCake is one of the easier ways to go. Pre-configured drive is even easier, but more expensive. InstantCake is only $20 plus you can shop for a deal on a harddrive
2) From what I recall, you actually disconnect your OS hard drive. Boot from the CD which includes the image for your TiVo with the new blank drive connected.
3) 500GB IDE is fine. Some have used a SATA with an adapter
4) No. There are pretty clear instructions when you buy the InstantCake.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #1923
RevRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Lampwick View Post
1) InstantCake is one of the easier ways to go. Pre-configured drive is even easier, but more expensive. InstantCake is only $20 plus you can shop for a deal on a harddrive
2) From what I recall, you actually disconnect your OS hard drive. Boot from the CD which includes the image for your TiVo with the new blank drive connected.
3) 500GB IDE is fine. Some have used a SATA with an adapter
4) No. There are pretty clear instructions when you buy the InstantCake.
THANKS!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #1924
windracer
joined the 10k club

Since you have a working original drive for the TX20, you could also just use WinMFS to make an image and then restore/expand it onto the new drive. That would save you the $20 of buying InstantCake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #1925
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Since you have a working original drive for the TX20, you could also just use WinMFS to make an image and then restore/expand it onto the new drive. That would save you the $20 of buying InstantCake.
Yes but wouldn't he need a Fat32 drive to mount? Plus he said he wanted an easy no linux command-line procedure
Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #1926
windracer
joined the 10k club

WinMFS runs in Windows. No command-lines necessary.

But yes, you need to connect your existing TiVo drive to your PC, via internal connection or external enclosure.

|
Old 11-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #1927
sledhed

Question RS-TX20 speed issue, revisited

I know we kicked the TiVo software speed issue around on this forum for quite a while but it seemed to have gone away, or people got used to it. Our TX20 seemed to pick up enough speed after that version to be usable again.

Well, we are back to slow-as-molasses-in-January mode again, especially when it comes to pulling up the guide listings. It takes so long to put up the info before it will respond to any page-up or page-down commands that one wonders if it froze up! I have also noticed that the TV program playing in the background breaks up some, like the TiVo is having a hard time encoding / decoding and displaying the video while it is so busy being slow with the guide data... if you are recording when you do this, the video breakup and stutter in the background gets recorded to your program!

I noticed a similar video breakup problem with an old Series 2 single tuner 80 hour unit we have too, but the dual-tuner in the other room seems to work fine... I know they are supposed to have a bit more processing power.

Any ideas? Hard drive died and was replaced 6 months or so ago, with a 320GB DB35 drive from one of the common vendors. But the speed problem was not until fairly recently. Anyone else seeing this? We use it with standard def Dish Network, which has tons of channels in the guide data but we have it whittled down (in TiVo setup channels received) to only having the family package as available channels, along with a couple locals. And not even all of that package.

My wife and I are about to throw the remove through the old CRT screen...
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #1928
aadegboyega

I have a Loading info Error S03 every time my DVR attempt to download software updates on my toshiba DVR RS-TX60. I talk to a Tivo tech support person and he said either I have a hardware problem or I should look for the word kick start on Tivo community forum. What is a kick start? Also any info on how I can fix the problem. Thanks
aadegboyega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #1929
azitnay

WeaKnees has a page that describes the various kickstart options:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #1930
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadegboyega View Post
I have a Loading info Error S03 every time my DVR attempt to download software updates on my toshiba DVR RS-TX60. I talk to a Tivo tech support person and he said either I have a hardware problem or I should look for the word kick start on Tivo community forum. What is a kick start? Also any info on how I can fix the problem. Thanks
It is a little trickier to trigger on the RS-TX Toshibas, I asked around and got more info on these forums that I ever thought, including people who dug their unit out of a closet and tried it all for me and detailed every step... here is one related thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...42#post6661742

In fact, Windracer just a couple posts up was most helpful in that thread, but I recommend reading it before bugging him.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #1931
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
In fact, Windracer just a couple posts up was most helpful in that thread, but I recommend reading it before bugging him.

Unfortunately, I no longer own a TX20 (though my parents are still enjoying it). I still lurk here, though ...

aadegboyega, how is your Toshiba connecting to the TiVo Service? Phone line or network? If the kickstart 54 doesn't help, I guess you could try a "clear and delete everything" but that will wipe out, as it implies, everything: recordings, season passes, etc. etc. You'd have to set it all over from scratch.

|
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #1932
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post

Unfortunately, I no longer own a TX20 (though my parents are still enjoying it). I still lurk here, though ...

aadegboyega, how is your Toshiba connecting to the TiVo Service? Phone line or network? If the kickstart 54 doesn't help, I guess you could try a "clear and delete everything" but that will wipe out, as it implies, everything: recordings, season passes, etc. etc. You'd have to set it all over from scratch.
Fortunately most everything you told me and my experiences getting it to work are documented here on the tivo community forums... just checking the I posted thread above, and possibly searching the forums a bit more, should get him all the info he needs.

Thanks again by the way, Windracer. My HDD eventually did die though, but has since been replaced by a 320GB (which even though it is a DB35 is a lot noisier, making the old entertainment center it is in hum...)

I suppose when I finally succumb to the sirens song of HD I may put the old TX20 to rest (or fleabay), but I do like TiVo and there is no TiVo HD alternative for those of us who live in the sticks and whose only HD alternatives are satellite...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #1933
EVV Richard
Toshiba RS-TX60

Hello. I am a Toshiba RS-TX60 owner new to this Forum (purchased it in 2005; my 1st unit was defective; Toshiba replaced it immediately; my 2nd unit is great; I LOVE it; TiVo contacted ME FIRST about switching over the lifetime service--WOW!).

Problem--my DVD burner used to work just fine; now it burns about 80% of the DVD, then kicks out, giving me the "internal error" message [which means nothing, right?]. Weaknees.com says I probably need a need burner ($150 if I send it to them). Are they the best at this replacement, or who should do this? What kind of burner brand is best?

Last edited by EVV Richard : 01-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.
EVV Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #1934
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVV Richard View Post
Hello. I am a Toshiba RS-TX60 owner new to this Forum (purchased it in 2005; my 1st unit was defective; Toshiba replaced it imediately; my 2nd unit is great; I LOVE it; TiVo contact ME FIRST about switching over the lifetime service--WOW!).

Problem--my DVD burner used to work just fine; now it burns about 80% of the DVD, then kicks out, giving me the "internal error" message [which means nothing, right?]. Weaknees.com says I probably need a need burner ($150 if I sent it to them). Are they the best at this replacement, or who should do this? What kind of burner brand is best?
There were a bunch of posts a while back on the "internal error" issue when burning DVDs. I used to get that error quite a bit too, but it seems to have subsided. Seemed to be more related to the specific program I was recording than the media, although some have reported media brand, quality and speed being related too. No-one that I heard of actually ended up with it being the DVD burner itself.

Try a couple things first. Search back for this issue and see what other people have tried. This includes changing media brands etc. My experience led me to it generally not being a media problem. I would record the same programs to DVD-RW rewritable and still get the same problem, but only with specific episodes. Then I tried transferring the suspect program to PC with Tivo desktop, then using a trial of videoredo to convert to mpeg format. Usually the program I had problems with ended up giving videoredo a hiccup, that there was some kind of internal error in the video file that it then corrected. I would then use nero or something to create a DVD of the problem program.

This is why they can't say it is the dvd burner for sure. Sometimes it is just a glitch in the encoding. Try the 2x or 4x rewriteables first.

If it does need a new burner, it would not be that hard to replace yourself, but I believe they have to be replaced with the exact same brand and model.

I personally would not invest a bunch of money in an older technology (standard def) unit like this. I did just replace the HDD in my TX20 though, the original finally died, but this tivo is really slow to bring up menus etc., even with a clean fresh install, which is tivo's fault for over-featuring the software for the older S2 units, IMHO. Still, we have to live with that slowness as long as we have the unit... that is my main beef with tivo...
Good luck...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #1935
mrfixit454

Yes.. it seems to be the program for what ever reason.. take a look at the disk (the burned side). They tend to not start in the center of the disk when this happens. Just re-recording the program (if available) often solves the problem for me. See if you can save another program recorded a few weeks back and see if you are successful. Example.. I recoded the Nation Parks series.. 6 or so 2 hour episodes and one did not transfer to DVD. waiting for the re-run of it. Other shows still transfer to disc just fine.
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #1936
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
I personally would not invest a bunch of money in an older technology (standard def) unit like this. I did just replace the HDD in my TX20 though, the original finally died, but this tivo is really slow to bring up menus etc., even with a clean fresh install, which is tivo's fault for over-featuring the software for the older S2 units, IMHO. Still, we have to live with that slowness as long as we have the unit... that is my main beef with tivo...
Good luck...
If anybody has any of these old slow units that are lifetime subbed, and would to get rid of them, let me know...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #1937
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
Yes.. it seems to be the program for what ever reason.. take a look at the disk (the burned side). They tend to not start in the center of the disk when this happens. Just re-recording the program (if available) often solves the problem for me. See if you can save another program recorded a few weeks back and see if you are successful. Example.. I recoded the Nation Parks series.. 6 or so 2 hour episodes and one did not transfer to DVD. waiting for the re-run of it. Other shows still transfer to disc just fine.
This is why using a rewriteable helps once you find a problem - no additional coasters, you can always reuse the rewriteable dvd. Looking at the back does not seem to be a 100% predictable way of figuring out which program won't burn though. We tried to correlate the burn pattern with the program.

If all else fails, and you MUST have that program on dvd, use tivo desktop to transfer to PC, then change the format to mpeg (using videoredo or a free conversion program that I use I forget the name just now), and make a simplistic DVD using a dvd authoring program...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #1938
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
There were a bunch of posts a while back on the "internal error" issue when burning DVDs. I used to get that error quite a bit too, but it seems to have subsided. Seemed to be more related to the specific program I was recording than the media, although some have reported media brand, quality and speed being related too. No-one that I heard of actually ended up with it being the DVD burner itself.
I could have written the same paragraph. I was getting that error a lot a few months back, but inconsistently. Sometimes just one recording wouldn't work, changing media helped sometimes, not others.
Just recently I burned quite a few shows for my father, and they were all successful, no errors.
Sometimes it feels like voodoo. You did shake the chicken bones over the machine prior to your recording, didn't you?

I would definitely try burning other shows, and changing your media you are using before I would replace the drive.

Good luck!
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #1939
tahoejoe

I used to have the internal error problem, more with RW than R. I ended up putting in a standard Pioneer DVR-116DBK and haven't had any problem since. I do not believe that model is available any more but I know previous Pioneer models also work so it may be worth trying a subsequent model. See http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=384723
tahoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #1940
shwru980r

TIVO Basic and Directv

I'm trying to hook up an RS-TX20 and SD-H400 with Directv. Both units work great with a Digital Converter box. When I try to run guided setup and select Directv, I don't get any audio or video from Directv. I've run guided setup on both units several times and can't get it to work. Also double checked the connections. Is Directv compatible with TIVO Basic?
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #1941
sledhed

There is a chart on here somewhere saying what cable boxes and satellite receivers are compatible with Tivo series 2... ok, below is a link to the thread so you can do a little research there.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=128743
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #1942
shwru980r

Quote:
There is a chart on here somewhere saying what cable boxes and satellite receivers are compatible with Tivo series 2... ok, below is a link to the thread so you can do a little research there.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=128743
It seems like the compatibility thread is dealing with controling the box through the serial or IR ports. I can't even get a picture or sound to tell if I can control the box. It's like the input shuts down when I select Directv.
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #1943
Dan04u

I had one but lighting kind of ended its life
Dan04u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1944
Birdman26

Loved my TX20 before it died a year ago, just found this site today. Drive gave up, obviously, never got an image off of it. Anyone know where I might find one?
Birdman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #1945
susandennis

Smile

My drive died and I replaced it with one from Weaknees

It was dirt simple to install and it's been happy ever since. I use it with no subscription (just the basic TiVo service it was born with) as a supplement to my other TiVo's.
susandennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #1946
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman26 View Post
Loved my TX20 before it died a year ago, just found this site today. Drive gave up, obviously, never got an image off of it. Anyone know where I might find one?
Love my TX20 too, except for the SLOW menus...

Even though I am very capable of reinstalling, I did not have time last summer, so I bought a replacement DB35 DVR-specific 320GB PATA/IDE drive for about $100 with TiVo software already installed. Yeah, I basically paid someone to install it for me, but I was up and running in no time.

I used DVR_DUDE on fleaBay for the lowest price and quickest turnaround for me. I am sure the other companies are competitive too.

If you do it yourself look around for the quietest drive. Even the DB35 hums more than the OEM drive did, and when I did it myself a couple years ago with a Seagate 500GB PATA desktop drive, it almost made the case buzz with vibration, I had to go back to the original drive as my whole entertainment center hummed.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #1947
Chester_Lampwick

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #1948
Birdman26

Good Point sledhed, Mine got slow later as well. Not sure if the memory was to small to deal with the updated versions of the Software or beause the HD was full and starting to fail. Once you replaced the drive did it return to its original out of the box speed?

As for reinstalling, also capable myself and would rather do it myself, (pricipalities at stake and all / also big money, 10 to 15 bucks )
Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #1949
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman26 View Post
Good Point sledhed, Mine got slow later as well. Not sure if the memory was to small to deal with the updated versions of the Software or beause the HD was full and starting to fail. Once you replaced the drive did it return to its original out of the box speed?

As for reinstalling, also capable myself and would rather do it myself, (pricipalities at stake and all / also big money, 10 to 15 bucks )
Bad news on the speed front - even with a new 320GB DB35 7200 RPM drive with more cache, it seemed to be as slow after the hdd failure as it was before... I also have an older single-tuner series 2 and it is slower than our newer dual-tuner series 2 as well. The dual-tuner seems to be fine. I guess they only tested their latest updates on the latest platforms, leaving the rest of us to watch as the schedules and menus slowly unfold... the processor and/or memory are slower apparently. If I knew what to do to boost the speed I would consider it. But I think anything would be a soldering job, and someone with more electronics smarts than me to figure out how to "overclock" it or replace the cpu or upgrade the ram...

Wonder what an SSD drive would do. If anything.

I think if you shopped around the drive price might save you up to $40. I figured it would take me at least a couple hours if not a half a day (I had already "cloned" my drive once successfully), and I was too busy at the time. And we missed our TiVo.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #1950
Birdman26

Bad News is right, I figured that was probably the case. Low ended the original build and software got too big. Let you know if I get the same results. That is assuming all goes well.
Cheers,