TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #3901
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The WD10EAVS has recently been used in the Fantom 1TB Green" external hard drives. IIRC the AAM is not set to 128 so it may be a little louder than necessary but it can be adjusted. (More in the first post.)

Have you tried a menu restart (soft reboot)? IIRC there were reports that it exhibited the soft reboot issue in Series3's (hangs on the "Welcome...almost there" screen); the reason it's not on the recommended drive list. Can you let us know if yours has that issue or not? TIA.
I have installed and tested this w10eavs hard drive in both a TivoHD and Series 3 unit and they boot perfectly.
Well I guess now I fully understand the "soft reboot" issue, after I performed a software reboot the unit hung on Welcome Powering up. Man what a PITA, so does this mean this drive will have other issues with the system? Or only when it reboots via the software? I dont see why this would be a "huge" inconvenience. I mean it would suck to go unplug it and replug it in. But I could live with it.

Further though, I recently picked up two wd10eads units and one of the two drives refused to boot up properly 100 percent of the time, it would hang on welcome powering up, I have RMA'd that drive, lets hope that we arent running out of drive options here.

Last edited by cr33p : 10-26-2009 at 09:41 PM.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #3902
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Noted that Buy.com has the recommended Fantom 1TB Green eSATA drive for $74.99 AR w/free shipping.
Hmmm interesting I wonder how hard it is to pop that drive out of its enclosure? And hey even better to have a spare external enclosure laying around, hell pop that old 160 or 250 sata drive in it to make it usefull. I think I will scoop up a few. How do you know for sure that is the drive inside that Fantom unit?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #3903
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Hmmm interesting I wonder how hard it is to pop that drive out of its enclosure? And hey even better to have a spare external enclosure laying around, hell pop that old 160 or 250 sata drive in it to make it usefull. I think I will scoop up a few. How do you know for sure that is the drive inside that Fantom unit?
The last post I read about someone opening the Fantom 1TB eSATA drive up said that there was a WD10EAVS inside (the one that has a soft reboot problem in Series3's).

IIRC a couple of folks had the same idea (open it and pull the drive) but they said that there was some sort of warranty seal on the enclosure. If so, that would void the two-year warranty (which is pretty good for an eSATA drive). Not worth it IMHO.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:17 AM   #3904
richsadams

Quote:
I have installed and tested this w10eavs hard drive in both a TivoHD and Series 3 unit and they boot perfectly.
Well I guess now I fully understand the "soft reboot" issue, after I performed a software reboot the unit hung on Welcome Powering up. Man what a PITA, so does this mean this drive will have other issues with the system? Or only when it reboots via the software? I dont see why this would be a "huge" inconvenience. I mean it would suck to go unplug it and replug it in. But I could live with it.

Further though, I recently picked up two wd10eads units and one of the two drives refused to boot up properly 100 percent of the time, it would hang on welcome powering up, I have RMA'd that drive, lets hope that we arent running out of drive options here.
Bummer about the Series3 soft reboot issue which apparently still exists with the WD10EAVS. You shouldn't experience any other problems though. If there is a software update or possibly a brief power failure or surge causing the unit to reboot it would hang until you conducted a hard reboot. If you have your TiVo's on a UPS (and you should) you'd only run into the issue during the periodic (four or five times a year) TiVo software upgrades.

The WD10EADS should work in your TiVo HD's...but they have the same soft reboot issue with Series3's.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #3905
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
I wonder how hard it is to pop that drive out of its enclosure?
It's very easy. You can use the enclosure as a USB-to-sata adaptor also, so if you are doing a truncated backup then there is no need to open up your PC. There is a warranty seal on the Fantom enclosure, so if you open it up then bye bye warranty. It's probably a good idea to run some burn in tests on the drive before opening the enclosure.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #3906
cr33p

Yeah tru that. I see Newegg has the WD10eads on sale again today for 74.99 shipped, I think I will snap up a few more of them for my HD models.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #3907
JasonRossSmith
The New Guy (sort of

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer (and haven't figured out how to search "within" a thread...

I've read over the bulk of this FAQ, and am looking to upgrade my Tivo HD (TCD652160) which is currently 100% stock, with an internal 1TB HD.

Normally I would just go buy the "specifically reccomended" drive using the links provided, but I had $100 of store credit to spend at Best Buy...

They currently have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive (ST310005N1A1AS-RK) unit on sale for only $90, so I'd like to get that one unless there are issues with it.

Has anyone used that, does it work, any problems with noise, etc?

Thanks!
JasonRossSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #3908
JasonRossSmith
The New Guy (sort of

Wow, ok I feel stupid now.... Just saw this great big "search this thread" link....

I see that someone used the (ST310005N1A1AS-RK) back in April on the Series 3. What about the Tivo HD?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 AM   #3909
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRossSmith View Post
Wow, ok I feel stupid now.... Just saw this great big "search this thread" link....

I see that someone used the (ST310005N1A1AS-RK) back in April on the Series 3. What about the Tivo HD?
If it worked in a TiVo Series3 it should work in a TiVo HD (it's going the other way that is problematic with some drives).

The ST310005N1A1AS-RK is a "retail kit" (RK) and actually has a Seagate ST31000340AS hard drive inside. A caveat is that Seagate had some serious troubles with this drive last year. There is a thread on their web site (http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/...thread.id=3668) that's over 51 pages long discussing firmware problems. It ends in February this year with a moderator link to a new thread which doesn't work. There's apparently a firmware update link as well (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207951). I'd think they probably have it straightened out by now and again, if someone else is using it I wouldn't worry too much

The only other issue might be noise. Seagate drives can be real thrashing machines and there isn't a way to change Seagate's AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management) like you can with most other brands of drives. The specs on that drive (http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s...100452348g.pdf) show the idle noise at 2.9bels and a seek noise of 3.3bels. That's pretty noisy compared to the their and other brand's A/V drives which usually are no louder than 2.6bels or so. If you can live with the constant "clicking" that's okay, but I wouldn't put it in quiet home theater setup or a bedroom.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #3910
ajayabb

Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer (and haven't figured out how to search "within" a thread...

I've read over the bulk of this FAQ, and am looking to upgrade my Tivo HD (TCD652160) which is currently 100% stock, with an internal 1TB HD.

Normally I would just go buy the "specifically reccomended" drive using the links provided, but I had $100 of store credit to spend at Best Buy...

They currently have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive (ST310005N1A1AS-RK) unit on sale for only $90, so I'd like to get that one unless there are issues with it.

Thanks!
Jason,
I just installed the Seagate Barracuda 1 TB drive 4 days ago into my Living Room Tivo HD. It runs perfectly. As far as the noise is concerned, it generates a low pitched tone during operation which is not audible during TV viewing but can be heard during quiet hours

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #3911
eochs

Installed a WD7500AVVS in my THD last night... Great work by y'all putting the instructions together, went off without a hitch! Can't believe how quiet this drive is, even with it sitting out on my desk connected to a USB->Sata adapter while running WinMFS I couldn't hear a peep out of the drive, and had to keep touching it to feel it spinning to believe it was actually not a bad drive!
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #3912
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Normally I would just go buy the "specifically reccomended" drive using the links provided, but I had $100 of store credit to spend at Best Buy...

If you are set on Seagate you really should consider the low power version Barracuda LP. It is by far the the quietest of all the current crop of 1TB drives and I regularly see it on special for way less than $100. As Rich mentioned, you can not attenuate the seek sounds of Seagates. This one you don't need to.

There used to be a retail kit version but it looks like it is only available as a bare drive now (retail kit only means provided cables, longer warranty and slightly higher price). I have a couple of its 1.5TB LP siblings and they are also the coolest running drives I have ever seen.

Anyway, understood you want to use your BB credit. You will have to see if the ST310005N1A1AS-RK Barracuda is quiet enough for you. If not, you wil have a good backup drive for your computer.

Last edited by jlib : 10-28-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #3913
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
If you are set on Seagate you really should consider the low power version Barracuda LP. It is by far the the quietest of all the current crop of 1TB drives and I regularly see it on special for way less than $100.
Wow! I hadn't seen their specs...1.9bels idle and 2.0 seek? That is by far the quietest drive out there. Folks with bedroom TiVo's should be shouting (or snoring) for joy!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #3914
dforemsky

I have a TivoHD with a bad motherboard that had been upgraded with a 1 TB drive. I have a replacement TivoHD on the way.

Can I just put the upgraded drive in the new TivoHD and preserve all recordings and season passes from the bad Tivo?

I see that DVRUpgrade sells all in one expansion kits that you just drop in and they work, but one of the steps in their instructions indicate that the Tivo will clear and delete everything automatically and the user will need to go through guided setup again. Is this something specific to the DVRUpgrade kits or will that happen if I just drop in the drive from the old Tivo?

thanks!
dforemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #3915
bowlingblogger

I've never tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work since all of that information is contained on the drive. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can confirm.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #3916
cr33p

It will generate a hardware error once it is started up, the new unit with old drive will have a mismatched set of encryption keys. Only way to fix it is clear and delete everything = lose all your recordings and season passes. Not sure if anyone has a workaround like we had on the Dtivo units with the clear 51 killer.tcl .
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #3917
MPSAN

Hello ALL;
If there is a FRY'S near you they have a 1TB drive for $59.99 and is a Major Brand Name. as opposed to the guy down the street making a 1TB drive in his garage!

It has been reported that it is the WD WD10EADS that works so well in my TiVoHD. I am not sure if you would get the 2 or 3 platter drive, but here is how to tell...

WD10EADS-00M2B0 = Two 500gb platters
WD10EADS-00L5B1= Three 334gb platters

At any rate, it does show online, but not sure how much shipping charges are. SKU is 6070278.

It says store pickup not available, but that is not true.

Last edited by MPSAN : 10-30-2009 at 03:34 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #3918
innocentfreak

Shipping for ground for me is 6.38 so still a good deal. I am just going to throw it in my server though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #3919
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Shipping for ground for me is 6.38 so still a good deal. I am just going to throw it in my server though.
Shipping is not too bad here. It is about 25 miles away and gas is worth something. Still I wonder if they would hold a 2 platter unit for me if I called them?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 AM   #3920
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Hello ALL;
If there is a FRY'S near you they have a 1TB drive for $59.99...
So, they are able to make a drive like that, ship it from the far east, and everyone along the line is able to make enough profit to make it worth getting out of bed in the morning? I spent that much for a tire for my bicycle.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM   #3921
jonra

Is there a way to copy my factory Tivo HD drive & my 500gb mydvr expander drive settings & shows to a new 1 or 1.5 tb drive so I can upgrade my Tivo Hd? This way I can get rid of my dvr expander, run quieter, cooler with lower power...
Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #3922
bicker
Gruff

The way I handled that is I used TTG to transfer all my recordings to my desktop computer, then transferred them back onto my new hard drive. It works for all unprotected recordings.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #3923
JasonRossSmith
The New Guy (sort of

Rich, Ajay, Jlib thanks for the advice and suggestions!!!

MPSAN, I called Fry's and they told me on the phone that the "$59.99 Major Brand Name" drive was actually a WD10EVDS so I bought one. For that price I'll just hold on to my Best Buy credit and use it some other time, especially since that is a recomended drive.

When I got my order confirmation however it turns out it is really a WD10EADS like you said had been reported.

In the drive recomendation section of this it states that the WD10EADS was removed because they won't work with the Series 3, but will work with the Tivo HD. Since I have a Tivo HD (TCD652160) I should be fine right?

Jason
Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #3924
dlfl
Cranky old novice

wd10eads working fine for me and a lot of other HD's -- until WD makes some mysterious change like they did for the wd10evvs.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #3925
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonra View Post
Is there a way to copy my factory Tivo HD drive & my 500gb mydvr expander drive settings & shows to a new 1 or 1.5 tb drive so I can upgrade my Tivo Hd? This way I can get rid of my dvr expander, run quieter, cooler with lower power...
Im pretty sure winmfs will handle that for you. Go check out their site and support forum, talk to spike.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #3926
richsadams

Quote:
Unfortunately combining drives is not supported by winMFS. There are no programs that will combine an eSATA drive and internal drive if the eSATA drive was connected via plug and play (as you would normally do w/My DVR Expanders). If an eSATA drive was added manually you can use MFStools to combine the drives.

More info can be found on the forum at the author's web site, www.mfslive.org.

Following bicker's advice about transferring recordings (that aren't copy protected) to a computer or another TiVo and then back is probably your best bet.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #3927
MPSAN

Quote:
Rich, Ajay, Jlib thanks for the advice and suggestions!!!

MPSAN, I called Fry's and they told me on the phone that the "$59.99 Major Brand Name" drive was actually a WD10EVDS so I bought one. For that price I'll just hold on to my Best Buy credit and use it some other time, especially since that is a recomended drive.

When I got my order confirmation however it turns out it is really a WD10EADS like you said had been reported.

In the drive recomendation section of this it states that the WD10EADS was removed because they won't work with the Series 3, but will work with the Tivo HD. Since I have a Tivo HD (TCD652160) I should be fine right?

Jason
YES, as I, too, have the TiVoHD and that is the drive I put in. It has been working just fine for several Months now and it is silent. I did, however, adjust the AAM.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #3928
jonra

Thanks,
Rich, Bicker, & everyone. I wish i had just updated to a larger drive in the first place rather than setting up the mydvr expander. A lot of my recordings are on my second TIVO, so I guess I'll copy that drive to a new larger drive & get rid of the dvr expander & update that tivo to a fresh new 1 TB drive.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #3929
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks,
Rich, Bicker, & everyone. I wish i had just updated to a larger drive in the first place rather than setting up the mydvr expander. A lot of my recordings are on my second TIVO, so I guess I'll copy that drive to a new larger drive & get rid of the dvr expander & update that tivo to a fresh new 1 TB drive.
That's a good plan. IIRC some others here did the same thing...maybe MSPAN? Upgraded one TiVo, keeping all of the recordings, then moved the recordings off of another TiVo to that one, upgraded the other TiVo and then moved the transferred recordings back again. Phew!

Anyway, happy upgrading!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #3930
eaayoung

So, I've order a new WD drive for my S3 from Buy.com. I could complete the upgrade via a Mac or Windows 7 PC but prefer to use the Windows 7 PC.

Has anyone tried this with Windows 7?
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote