TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #1891
gcpm03

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay View Post
Are you sure you have an RS-TX20? These units came out far later, and I think they may have started on 7.x.

I'm guessing you have a Series1 unit. If so, 3.2 is all you'll get.

What three digits does your TSN start with?

Drew
ok im on 9.3a sorry just chrcked it out. im hope that a netgear wg111 v2
802.11g adaptor will work with this unit?
is anyone else using a g adaptor?
let me know
thank you
gcpm03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #1892
gcpm03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcpm03 View Post
ok im on 9.3a sorry just chrcked it out. im hope that a netgear wg111 v2
802.11g adaptor will work with this unit?
is anyone else using a g adaptor?
let me know
thank you
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #1893
gcpm03

ok service number is 565
tried the nregear 111gv2 is a no go ?????
why??
Old 03-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #1894
azitnay

According to:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...relessadapters

"NETGEAR WG111 ver.2" isn't compatible. Is this what you have?

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #1895
gcpm03

what is 25xtreme? where can i download it?
thank you
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #1896
mk678

Thanks for sharing .
I hope it will work for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mk678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #1897
gcpm03

i want to upgrade my rx20 what is the quietest energy and largest hdd for the machine?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #1898
gcpm03

also is there a hack that will give me a current total of gb's left on the hdd or time remaining?
thank you
Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #1899
nateman96

Transferring recorded shows from TIVO HD to RS-TX20 without subscription

I just added a TIVO HD DVR to my RS-TX20 and both of them have wireless network adapters that connect to my home network and Internet. I am currently paying $12.95/month for the RS-TX20 and $9.95 for the TIVO HD. If I cancel the subscription on the RS-TX20 will I be able transfer recorded shows from my TIVO HD to the RS-TX20 over the network? Thanks
nateman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #1900
azitnay

No, MRV is a TiVo Plus feature.

Drew
Old 07-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #1901
susandennis

Here is a nice chart of what you get with TiVo Basic

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvd-faq.php

I just unhooked my Toshiba from TiVo service and can verify that the chart = personal experience.

My other TiVo's just act as if the Toshiba is dead to them.
susandennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #1902
newfie4ever

Question for the RS-TX20 people out there.
I had a 42 " LCD tv in my bedroom and noticed that the picture quality is poor on SD signal through my RS-TX20 unit, even the recordings. I just purchased a new Plasma 42 " to replace it thinking the TV might be the problem. The picture has improved but not like I was expecting.
Here is my setup:
Starchoice HD 505 rx going to my Tivo using S-Video out and then to my tv.
If I take the signal striaght from the Starchoice rx it looks better. Any way to improve the quality of the signal / picture?
I even purchased a upscaler to change the signal from 480I to 720P which did not help much.

Thanks
newfie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #1903
windracer
joined the 10k club

You could try using component (instead of S-Video) and then turn on progressive mode on the TX20 so you're sending 480P to your TV. Other than that, there's not much you'll be able to do since the TX20 is an SD device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #1904
newfie4ever

Lightbulb

You know I never even thought of that as I was to disappointed in the quality of the signal. You would think that after over 24 years in the electronics world I would of tried that, LOL

Thanks

Just wish they had HD tivo for Starchoice, that would be a no brainer for sure.
newfie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #1905
sledhed

This is why I have been leery of upgrading any of our TVs - we don't really watch enough to care about HD, and I was worried that the picture would look crappier than what we have now after spending $$$ on a new tv set... we have 1 RS-TX20 and 2 dual-tuners (for now) and two single-tuners (not all of these are active).
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #1906
kelleyer

RS-TX20 sound failure

My RS-TX20 has worked perfectly for years, but 2 days ago (08-11-09) sometime between 4am and 10am the sound seems to have stopped working.

There is no sound on shows recorded since that time, and there is no sound when I try to watch live TV through the TiVo.

The sound for shows recorded before this point play back just fine, all the TiVo pings and bloops can be heard perfectly, DVDs play back with no problem, and live TV sound is fine when I'm not going through the TiVo input.

My system is set up with a splitter and two digital cable boxes, one for the TiVo and one for the television (so I can record one show while watching another), and the audio is run through a tuner so the sound comes through my stereo speakers instead of from the television speakers. This setup has been in place for a long time, and none of the various settings have changed recently.

Things I have tried in order to get TiVo to once again record & play back sound:
1. TiVo reset (twice)
2. switching TiVo to a different cable box
3. checking all the audio & video connections to make sure they weren't loose
4. replacing all RCA cables between cable box / TiVo / TV
5. burning a DVD from a newly recorded (soundless) show to test whether it was recording but just not playing back sound. The DVD burn failed. It got through the "preparing dvd" step and then returned message saying that the show could not be saved to DVD because of "an internal error"

Alas, none of this has returned sound to my TiVo.

I'm guessing by now that the audio input on the RS-TX20 itself has died. Does that seem right? Has anyone else had this problem? Any other suggestions about what I might do to test and / or fix sound failure?
kelleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #1907
mrfixit454

Have you tried sending the audio from the tivo right to the TV instead of the stereo? I assume when you watch the split feed from the cable box to stereo that that signal has audio? Are you using RCA (Composite) cables from Tivo to the stereo? If so, have you tried the digital audio out from tivo to your stereo?
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #1908
kelleyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
Have you tried sending the audio from the tivo right to the TV instead of the stereo? I assume when you watch the split feed from the cable box to stereo that that signal has audio? Are you using RCA (Composite) cables from Tivo to the stereo? If so, have you tried the digital audio out from tivo to your stereo?
Because everything was working perfectly until Tues. morning, I haven't tried reconfiguring all the audio cables yet. The audio for both television and TiVo is connected to the stereo tuner through a port on the back of the TV, and the sound works fine for everything except shows recorded after approx. 4am Tuesday, and except for trying to watch TV through the Tivo (using the "Live TV" button). I didn't think about trying to reroute the TiVo audio using the digital audio out directly to the stereo. I'll give that a go. I only tried a couple of soft restarts. Now I'm hoping that maybe a full power down reboot might do the trick. I'll give that a go tonight.

EK
Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #1909
kelleyer

Happy to report that shutting off the power and doing a full reboot (instead of the soft restart) seems to have fixed the problem of no sound through the TiVo.

EK
Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #1910
mrfixit454

Tivo Basic and DTV Converter box

Times are tough and I have been thinking of cutting back on some expenses. Want to cancel tivo plus service on my TX20 and turn the SAT box off on directv. Has anyone tried these w/o the tivo service and tried an over the air digital converter box yet. The converter boxes I have are on the list that tivo suggests is compatible and I have the 9.3 software that is required. Just curious if it all works to everyone's liking. I am aware of the features I lose with Tivo basic and we can live with the VCR type recording for now.

Thanks
Fixit
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #1911
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
Has anyone tried these w/o the tivo service and tried an over the air digital converter box yet.
My parents are using my old TX20 with TiVo Basic and a converter box. I haven't heard any complaints from them about it.

|
Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #1912
Crazystars

Official Toshiba RS TX Owners Club

Great idea starting this thread Lujan. I would love to see the pictures that you post this weekend & hopefully you can give a review after more experience with the set over the next few days. I spent a over an hour reading the thread about the Sony, & it would be great if all owners of the Mitsubishi can chime in here & add their experiences.

I am personally in the market for a TV & have narrowed my choices down to the 65833 & the Sony 603000, but I have only seen the Sony in person. Did you have the opportunity to compare the Mitsu & the Sony before purchasing by chance, or was it not even a consideration b/c you were looking for over 70" in screen size? I can go for the 65" myself, but the 73" would be a little too large based on furniture & screen distance limitations of the room. 60" to 65" are perfect for me.
Crazystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #1913
soundicus

I'm a new member and I'm new to forums in general, so apologies in advance for any errors in protocol...

Anyway I've got 2 RS-TX20s that both freeze up during the initial start up. I'm wondering if this is known problem or if there's a quick fix. Any help is appreciated.
soundicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #1914
jza80

Netflix streaming on TX-20?

Is it possible to stream Netflix on the TX-20, like I can do on my Series 3 unit?

My menus now offer Blockbuster downloads, etc., for extra cost so streaming is clearly possible but Netflix does not appear as an option. Any thoughts ?

Thanks!
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #1915
azitnay

No, Netflix needs MPEG-4 capability which the RS-TX20 doesn't have.

Drew
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #1916
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

soundicus,

It sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Can you describe the "freezing up?" Do you get the "Almost there, please wait..." screen? or just "Welcome, powering up" screen? Look in the upgrade section of this forum for more help on installing a new hard drive.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #1917
thorntons

Cannot execute kickstart on TCD540040

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
It's basically just like the other boxes ... here's how I was able to force a mfscheck on my TX20 (I'm looking at the GSOD right now):
  • plug in, HDD (orange) and DVD (red and orange) go on
  • Welcome! Powering Up screen displayed
  • start holding Pause on the remote
  • after a minute or so, the HDD light will go out and the DVD light will go red (keep holding Pause!)
  • the screen will flash, HDD will go back to orange, DVD will go orange as well. this is the indicator that the kickstart panic has been received.
  • you can now let go of Pause and enter the kickstart code (i.e., 54, 57, etc.). both lights will go out.
  • for a 57, it looks like the box will reboot again and then trigger the GSOD. for a 54, you'll get the "just a few minutes more" before the black HD test screen appears.
Hope this helps!
Hi Windracer -

I apologize ahead of time - I realize this isn't the forum for the TiVo TCD540040 units but I can't seem to find an answer on other forums for the TCD540040. My TiVo (TCD540040) decided to die when it was 5 yrs. & 4 days old.

I've been reading through a ton of posts & yours seemed very helpful as I am stuck @ the Welcome! Powering Up...screen as well. I can't seem to get the Tivo to get past the Welcome! Powering Up...screen to be able to enter the kickstart codes. I've tried holding down the pause button on the remote as the Welcome! Powering Up...screen comes up, when after the Welcome! Powering Up...screen has appeared on the TV, when I hear a whirring noise in the Tivo before the Welcome! Powering Up...screen comes up...everything. Also held the pause button for over two minutes on many occasions & never see the left LED light on the TiVo bezel turn to amber then to red so I can enter the kickstart code. It's consistently green. I've removed my wireless adapter as I have read in some other posts. The TiVo is connected to my TV through a RF Converter box as my TV is 14 years old & don't have the composite A/V jacks on my TV (only a cable connection). I currently just have the composite A/V jacks, power cable, & cable connection hooked to the TiVo.

If I have to replace the drive & image it with a CD from InstantCake will my unit will still have the lifetime activation once it makes it's 1st call to TiVo to update itself I assume. I also assume the InstantCake CD deals with the Logical Bit addressing issue so you are able to use a drive larger than 137GB. I plan on getting a Terabyte drive if I need to replace the HD. Assuming the motherboard will accept it? I know dumb question - I've been sitting here too long trying to do this kickstart.

If anyone can offer any assistance please do. I've been struggling with the Welcome! Powering up... screen for 3 days now.

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.
thorntons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #1918
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorntons View Post
Also held the pause button for over two minutes on many occasions & never see the left LED light on the TiVo bezel turn to amber then to red so I can enter the kickstart code.
The left LED on your Series2 box will always be green. My instructions above are specific to the TX20 DVD model. On a Series2 when you hold down the pause button the left LED will stay green and eventually the right LED should turn orange and stay on. That's when you enter the kickstart code.

Quote:
If I have to replace the drive & image it with a CD from InstantCake will my unit will still have the lifetime activation once it makes it's 1st call to TiVo to update itself I assume.
Yes, Lifetime service is tied to the motherboard, so no problem there.

Quote:
I also assume the InstantCake CD deals with the Logical Bit addressing issue so you are able to use a drive larger than 137GB.
Yep.

Quote:
I plan on getting a Terabyte drive if I need to replace the HD. Assuming the motherboard will accept it?
That's a good question, and I don't know for sure. Remember that the Series2 boxes use IDE (PATA) drives. I would think most terrabyte drives nowadays are SATA drives, which won't work.

|
Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #1919
azitnay

WeaKnees sells 1TB kits for TCD540040's, so it's definitely doable... You can buy 1TB EIDE hard drives, but I believe they're considerablely more expensive than 1TB SATA hard drives nowadays. You could probably go with a SATA and a converter, though.

Drew
Old 11-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #1920
thorntons

Regardless of not being able to get the kickstart to work I bought a new drive, ran instantcake on it & am back in business with my new hard drive. Ran into an issue when running instantcake where the cursor would just flash when at the screen "Just hit enter and we will begin baking your Instantcake" turns out instantcake doesn't recognize all USB ports. Go to DVR Upgrade forums & see thread subject "Keyboard doesn't work! I can't bake my TiVo image!" or my user name for full details (can't post a link). Thanks everyone.

Last edited by thorntons : 11-05-2009 at 01:47 PM.
thorntons is offline   Reply With Quote