TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #6781
skymom

Well, that was fun...

Just got a call from the Comcast technician. He doesn't have any cablecards, and has to put in a request for them, so today's scheduled visit isn't going to happen. So it looks like Comcast isn't going to make it easy for me.

The tech was nice, he said that Comcast put the brakes on ordering cable cards, and that they are making do with what they have on hand, especially since Comcast now offers a Tivo service. I told him, it sounds like Comcast wants to make it difficult if I don't use THEIR Tivo service, and he said "I wasn't saying that", and I said, "I know you weren't but I am.." and he laughed.

I did remind him that Comcast has to provide the cable cards per the FCC, so we'll see what happens next. I might make a stink about having to continue to pay for my Comcast DVR service since they fell down on having the cards when my visit was scheduled, I'll see if this gets resolved quickly, or whether it goes totally sideways from here...

I've been pretty happy with Comcast so far, I hope this is a one-time aberration.

Skymom
skymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #6782
Zoinks1

Hi all. I have two Tivo HD's, and had Comcast over this morning to install cablecards. Both are Motorola M Cards. I thought everything was fine, but now I realize that I am getting none of the encrypted channels. The installer will be coming back this afternoon.

Here is what I get on Conditional Access Screen:

Unit Address:000-00132-xxxxx-181
EncryptionES
Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:V 0x0F

but nothing after this. According to Tivo's pdf (http://support.tivo.com/euf/assets/f...Activ_auth.pdf), there should be more data there, including Auth:.

Anyone have any ideas? Help!
Zoinks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #6783
timjohnson1717

Figured i might as well post here also. I have an original S3 (rear load cards). Got the same problem you do zoinks, with only one of the cards, the other works fine. The non working card shows channel data but no picture or sound. The conditional access screen show only the same lines yours does, the working card has everything showing.
timjohnson1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #6784
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymom View Post

I've been pretty happy with Comcast so far, I hope this is a one-time aberration.

Skymom
Once they got the cards paired correctly, my service has been stellar. One major problem in 3 years, and it really wasn't their fault. The underground cable in my front yard wore out and they promptly pulled a new one the next day and it's working great again. Especially cool with all the new Channels Comcast has added.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #6785
jbernardis

My cablecard installation went without a hitch (3 units, 5 cablecards total - 4S and 1M) and the units have been operating for over two years without a problem.

On another note, last friday I noticed a message indicating channels have been added to my lineup. When I looked, I saw that my comcast franchise (central NJ - used to be patriot media) added 86 HD channels! - I went from about 15 HD channels to 86, all without SDV. Suddenly, I am very happy with comcast my the desire for FIOS is waning.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #6786
bakerja

Anyone know if it is possible to get comcast caller id on the TIVO? I have a comcast DVR along with my TIVOHD and the comcast DVR has a really nice feature for caller id displaying on the TV. They also have software to get caller id on your computer (if you have comcast internet) and I plan to implement that but really would love to have the caller id on the TIVO.

bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #6787
jediannie

UPDDATE: I guess it takes calling 10 times to finally get someone who can send the right combination of signals to the card. We are now up & running & $75 poorer from a wasted electrician's visit. If they suggest an electrician, JUST SAY NO!

I'm glad to have found this thread, but am no closer to a resolution. Here's our situation: Tivo & Comcast worked very well together for about 2 weeks, HD channels were visible, life was good. Over a week ago, the HD channels started to slowly leave us. Called Comcast, they sent the signal a few times and it still wasn't working, so they suggested a new card. I went to my local Comcast office (Sunnyvale - lovely people that work there, they were very helpful) got a new card, came home, installed card, and low & behold, only the basic cable channels were working. No HD, no premium, nada, zip zilch. Called Comcast again, they ended up dispatching a tech, who ran new cable and disconnected our splitter (now no other room has tv, but that's fixable). He also suggested having an electrician come out and check electrical. $75 later, no problems with electrical, except the coax cable has 70 volts on it. Called comcast again, he kept sending the signal or whatever they're doing & really was trying to help, or at least it seemed that way, and it's still not working. I'm going to see if a new card will work, if not, well, I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks for reading my rant, any suggestion or links to what might work would be greatly appreciated.
Ann

Last edited by jediannie : 10-26-2009 at 08:49 PM.
jediannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #6788
elwaylite

Anyone here in the Mobile Alabama area? I'm moving back and may just use Comcast instead of Dish Network. Tivo or Moxi is a must, because I need a lot of recording space. Are any channels SDV and not able to be viewed? How do the ccards work in our area?

TIA
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #6789
Puppy76

What would an electrician have to do with anything?
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #6790
gmcc

>$75 later, no problems with electrical, except the coax cable
>has 70 volts on it.

So what was the resolution for this seeming problem?
gmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #6791
gmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
What would an electrician have to do with anything?
Perhaps to investigate the 70 volts on the cable... which seems odd to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #6792
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to get comcast caller id on the TIVO? I have a comcast DVR along with my TIVOHD and the comcast DVR has a really nice feature for caller id displaying on the TV. They also have software to get caller id on your computer (if you have comcast internet) and I plan to implement that but really would love to have the caller id on the TIVO.
Unfortunately, universal caller ID is not compatable with TiVo.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #6793
crazi4tv

jediannie

Try this link:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137

There are easy to follow troubleshooting steps along with pictures of the different screens you may need to access in order to determine what is causing your problem.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #6794
gmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
jediannie

Try this link:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137

There are easy to follow troubleshooting steps along with pictures of the different screens you may need to access in order to determine what is causing your problem.

Let us know how it turns out.
I'm getting the idea that jediannie vanished after the "resolution" post/edit.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #6795
jediannie

Nope, I'm back. Thanks for all the info and sorry I didn't post sooner. Channels are disappearing again. I'm almost afraid to call Comcast because they really aren't fixing anything. We had every channel for 3 days and now some basic cable channels are missing & some HD channels are missing. I'm going to check the link you posted to see if anything can be resolved.

As for the electrician, I guess it wasn't a total waste, we had a "floating" ground that seems to be fixed, but I still the think Comcast tech just wanted an excuse to leave.
jediannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #6796
gmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediannie View Post
Nope, I'm back. Thanks for all the info and sorry I didn't post sooner.

I'm going to check the link you posted to see if anything can be resolved.

As for the electrician, I guess it wasn't a total waste, we had a "floating" ground that seems to be fixed, but I still the think Comcast tech just wanted an excuse to leave.
I do hope the link provided by crazi4tv is some help.

And I personally don't think the electrician was a waste of money, since that voltage on your cable could possibly be a safety issue in a couple of respects including possibly someone's life.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #6797
Brendon

comcast charges me a dollar or two for each card but also charges me for hdtv on each card. So for me each card with hd it about $8-9 each month
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #6798
davidmesa

ongoing problems with tivo hd w/ mcard install. had status: wait to start. per prior post, told csr to go exact order (1) Validation, (2) Initialize, (3) Hit. Voila! worked. thanks all!
davidmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #6799
cheesesteak
Meh.

I had a Comcast technician come out yesterday to install an m-card in my new TiVo HD. He had no idea what he was doing but got things working in the end. Took about an hour and three calls to his Comcast contact. The first cable card was bad. Good thing he brought two. He'd never worked with cable cards before. Part of the problem was communication. At first, I wasn't getting hi-def channels. The Comcast person on the other end of the line thought I was adding the TiVo HD to the boxes I already had, not replacing the Comcast HD dvr. I got the hd channels once that was sorted out.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #6800
vermaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks1 View Post

EncryptionES
I'm at the same screen. The Val changes periodically. Both TiVo and Comcast support are stumped; a Comcast tech left just after trying 4 different CableCards, all with the same result. TiVo's sending a replacement unit because they can't think of anything else to do.

Here are the things TiVo asked the tech to try (all unsuccessful).

1. Try other CCs.
2. Switch CC to slot 2 to "clear out" pairing information, switch back to slot 1, hit CC again.
3. Power cycle TiVo, hit CC again.
4. Repeat Guided Setup, hit CC again.
5. Blow into CC like a Nintendo cartridge.

I highly doubt the replacement unit is going to make a difference. I think TiVo is incompatible with the firmware on this batch of CCs:

Manufacturer: Motorola
FW Version: 03.31, 02.65, 03.25
HW Version: 0469927002

Anyone else have this version of the Motorola M-Stream card (CableCARD Menu->CableCARD(tm) Status)?
vermaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #6801
real_goose

I had Comcast install 2 cable cards in my HD and everything went well. I subscribe to limited basic for $15.99 month. I had to call more than once to find a CSR who knew the correct price. The first card is free and the second card is $2/month. I have no Comcast boxes and keep basic service for the multiple older analog only TVs in the house.

There are several advantages to using cable cards. All the channels are now easily 'tunable' versus being hidden on virtual channels like 100-9. TiVo guide only lists channel information for the virtual channels if cable cards are used. (Something I think TiVo should fix.) All channels are digital so no more gray screen of death which happened twice in 2 weeks.

The installer brought 3 cards and the first 2 worked. He had a hand held terminal and wanded the bar code on the card and inserted them 1 at a time. When the TiVo screen came up he enter the information into the terminal and then had me test the card on channels I did not get before. Very smooth and quick and he did not need to make phone calls.
real_goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #6802
Puppy76

Glad you were able to get it for apparently the right price. Comcast was trying to charge me $16/month on top of the $15+ for cable...despite that being both contrary to their stated prices, and presumably illegal.

Gave me the excuse to finally cut the cord and ditch them though. They COULD have had my money if they wanted it...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #6803
bicker
Gruff

Actually, service providers can charge individual customers market rates for CableCARD rentals. They are regulated only with regard to the average price for CableCARD rental company-wide.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #6804
Puppy76

That seems rather...dubious.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #6805
bicker
Gruff

It is what it is. We don't necessarily have to like the laws; indeed laws are typically a reflection of a balancing of opposing interests, rather than the imposition of one specific interest. Therefore, it is exceedingly rare for anyone to be 100% completely happy with the way any specific law is.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #6806
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks1 View Post
Hi all. I have two Tivo HD's, and had Comcast over this morning to install cablecards. Both are Motorola M Cards. I thought everything was fine, but now I realize that I am getting none of the encrypted channels. The installer will be coming back this afternoon.

EncryptionES

but nothing after this. According to Tivo's pdf (http://support.tivo.com/euf/assets/f...Activ_auth.pdf), there should be more data there, including Auth:.

Anyone have any ideas? Help!
I'm in this exact same situation. Two tech visits, and they could not get it working. I pointed out the screen you mention above, and all that's missing from it, but they didn't care about that.

The "cablecard guru" is supposed to call me to schedule a visit, but it's been 5 days and I haven't heard a word.

If he fixes it, I'll report back what the solution was.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #6807
teenie1

HD channels on one TV but not other

In the Chicago area. We now have two big TVs (lived on the 25" tube for several years!). Each TV has its own Series 3 HD TiVo. For one TiVo, we have lifetime service (TV #1), we don't have TiVo service yet on the other (TV #2). Just set up TiVo #2 today, we are using wireless USB for both, I created a home network with desktop, laptops and TiVos (same as at my old house).
We currently do not pay extra for HD service from Comcast. On TV#1, we are receiving all the HD versions of the stations in our package. On TV #2, we are only receiving HD for the local networks (ABC, NBC, etc). The other HD channels (where we subscribe to the matching SD) have a blank screen.

Can anyone help me get the remainder HD stations on TV #2?

Thanks!
teenie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #6808
angra

Atlanta pricing and m-card policies?

Guys,

I have tried to search the thread but it is a big thread! I haven't found this answered explicitly. My questions pertain to the Atlanta market.

I am not a comcast customer, but my parents are. They have an old 2-tuner analog tivo and have been transitioned to nearly all digital service. So, they can't really dual-tune any more and I am considering giving them a TivoHD so that they can recover dual tuner service. I asked my dad to call Comcast and find out their cable card policy and pricing.

He said that Comcast reported that he could exchange one of the boxes on his account for _one_ cable-card, but that additional cards would be $5.99 per month, which he is not inclined to pay.

A few questions for the Atlanta area customers:

* $5.99 per card seems high - is that the price per card that you have seen? I thought that there was a FCC mandated cap of less than that.

* One card would do if it's in a m-card. Is it possible to get an m-card on request? Is it possible that Comcast knows that tivos need m-card and just do that for tivo customers without going into detail about it? I wasn't on the phone, so my dad may have mentioned the tivo, or not.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #6809
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by angra View Post
* $5.99 per card seems high - is that the price per card that you have seen?
You're right to ask for replies from Atlanta-area customers. This may be different from area to area. For comparison, here in Boston, they have a special code for "second CableCARD in the same device", and that's $1.75. I think that $5.99 number is probably the same as what we pay here, if there is not such a code available.

Quote:
I thought that there was a FCC mandated cap of less than that.
There is no such cap. Rather, the average rate charged for CableCARDs... averaged over the entire country... is reviewed by regulators.

Quote:
* One card would do if it's in a m-card. Is it possible to get an m-card on request?
Again, you'll want to get a local answer, but I think this is becoming less of a concern, as S-cards are becoming a lot less common.

Quote:
Is it possible that Comcast knows that tivos need m-card and just do that for tivo customers without going into detail about it?
First, there is no TiVo bias in this regard. The TiVo S3s work just as well with S-cards as with M-cards. Second, generally, Comcast isn't going to note, or consider, the destination of the CableCARD until they're in the home. Request an M-card. Hopefully that's what you'll get.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #6810
wighty
Wighty

FWIW, the equipment charge in Comcast's So. Jersey service area for each CableCard after the first free one is $1.50/mo.