TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #4381
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
CC's are the way HD TiVo's were designed to work with digital cable. They enable dual-tuner operation. I'm not sure what the HD twc box gives you but I'm sure it won't allow dual-tuner operation. Also, I doubt there is any way you can control it (select channels) from the TiVo.

Yes ask for a M-Card. The HD will work just as well with 2 S-Cards but you will pay a few bucks more per month for renting 2 cards, usually.

Grumock believes your cable system doesn't use SDV. If true, you will not need a tuning adapter. However it would be advisable to confirm this with your TWC agent, and look on their web site. Unfortunately there have been cases where agents were wrong about this and nothing on the web site indicated it either. If you need a TA and don't have one, you will be missing a bunch of channels (the ones they use SDV for). TWC normally furnishes the TA free of charge (if required). One way to force this issue would be to tell the TWC agent you want a TA, and see what response you get.
You're right about the duel tuner option if it's a regular digital box, but if it's one of the DVRs they offer then it will have that ability. I can say with almost 100% certainty that the Manhattan area has not launched SDV. With that said it does not mean they will not be in the near future. I know that there are some areas in the country they are still beta testing the SDV on some DAC systems. Manhattan is using Motorola cards still if i am not mistaken which also means they are on a DAC system. It is however possible they have some overlay areas but not that i have heard of at this point. Overlay meaning where they are using both SA cards & Moto cards.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #4382
SteadyEddieNYC

I called them back and asked for the "M" card and got transferred to a spacial dept- After being on hold for 45min I left them a message to call me back- The TWC HD box I am using now has the capability to record two shows at once- I am assuming that if I run tivo through that I can do with out the hassle of the setting up the cards- Would you agree?
SteadyEddieNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #4383
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If you want your TiVo to be fully functional with dual-tuner capability you need a cable card (or two) -- unless you are using analog cable service -- which will not provide HD programming. I don't know how you would "run your TiVo through your cable box". Your TiVo needs to be able to select channels in order for its program guide data to work. It has only one cable input connector. The cable signal is split inside the TiVo for its two tuners. This is true whether the signal is analog or digital.

Is your cable box a converter or DVR or what? What inputs and outputs does it have? How does it currently work?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #4384
SteadyEddieNYC

Hi- Thanks for the replies- I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC- dvr cable box from TWC of NYC- the back of the box says it has multistream cable card- As it is now I can record two shows at once with that box- I just hate that box as its very slow and lags- thats why I bought the New Tivo HD- I have never used cable cards before- My old series 2 tivo I ran it through the cable box and it worked fine- I am trying to avoid the TWC of NYC nightmare that has already started- your thoughts?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #4385
Cover2_26

TWC-Bergen County

We have TWC in Bergen County, NJ. About a month ago I purchased an S3 to replace my S2 after buying a new HDTV. The install went off without a hitch and I had no problems. This past Monday, I came home to find that many of my channels had gone black. I rebooted Tivo and no change. Called TWC and csr said she didnt know about cable cards and I could schedule a truck roll to see what the problem is. Not satisfied, I visited this site as well as Tivo's site to get educated on what could be the problem. Checked all of the diagnostics and nothing appears to be wrong with the unit. I called TWC again, and the csr said I would need a tuning adapter. fast forward, I try going to my local TWC and am told that they don't use those any more and that I would need to schedule a service appointment. Anyone else have or experience this problem w/ TWC in Palisade Park, NJ? I'm pretty sure that all I need is an adapter.

Thanks.
Cover2_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #4386
pgreene8

I am TWC in Manhattan, but had a similar loss of channels not long ago. They sent a technician, but it turned out to simply be a signal that TWC had to send to the cable card. A stupid waste of time.
Earlier in the year I explored the tuning adaptor as a way to address another problem I was having, and I was told TWC in NYC doesn't have or deploy them.
TiVo S4 Premiere with M2 cable card
pgreene8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #4387
SteadyEddieNYC

TWC of Manhattan makes it hard to use anything other then what they rent- I had to call 4x before I got a CSR who knew what a cable card is- I am hoping whom ever shows up tomorrow will know what they are doing or I will send TIVO back-
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #4388
dlfl
Cranky old novice

CCI Byte copy protection

Hey guys! Please note the campaign to get TWC to remove CCI Byte copy protection. Keep those cards and letters (err.. emails) coming !!!

and
Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #4389
SteadyEddieNYC

Well- TWC came and hooked me up with a "M" card all was well- until the unit started to re-boot it self- 3x now- and 2 times with out the card last night before the TWC guy came- Tivo gave me a RMA number to send it back- Now I have no tv or Tivo until a new unit arrives- Any one else have this problem?

Tivo- HD
Old 10-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #4390
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyEddieNYC View Post
Well- TWC came and hooked me up with a "M" card all was well- until the unit started to re-boot it self- 3x now- and 2 times with out the card last night before the TWC guy came- Tivo gave me a RMA number to send it back- Now I have no tv or Tivo until a new unit arrives- Any one else have this problem?

Tivo- HD
Is your TiVo on a UPS? Highly recommended. Power dropouts can cause reboots. The APC BE350G is just big enough for a TiVo and a Tuning Adapter, (or for two TiVo's) plus it provides surge protection for lots of additional equipment. Sells for less than $50.

and
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #4391
SteadyEddieNYC

its plugged into a cheap power strip- I have it plugged into the wall right now- seeing if it happens again- however I dont like that incase of a power surge I have an extra ups es 350 sitting right here- should I try that? before I send it back- that would be cool if that was the issue
Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #4392
SteadyEddieNYC

its plugged into a cheap power strip- I have it plugged into the wall right now- seeing if it happens again- however I dont like that incase of a power surge I have an extra ups es 350 sitting right here- should I try that? before I send it back- that would be cool if that was the issue
Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #4393
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Is your es350 a surge protector or UPS ? If it's a true UPS it might be worth a try right now, especially if you suspect your AC power may be glitching.

and
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #4394
SteadyEddieNYC

I tried the surge protector- It's a bad Tivo- and its going back-
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #4395
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene8 View Post
I am TWC in Manhattan, but had a similar loss of channels not long ago. They sent a technician, but it turned out to simply be a signal that TWC had to send to the cable card. A stupid waste of time.
Earlier in the year I explored the tuning adaptor as a way to address another problem I was having, and I was told TWC in NYC doesn't have or deploy them.
that would be because you do not have SDV deployed in your area yet.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #4396
Cover2_26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene8 View Post
Turns out I had the same problem. Took the tech less than 2 mins to correct and be on his way!
Cover2_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #4397
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Cable card firmware update ???

Last night I started having trouble tuning any channels on one of my tuners. Soon I had a screen saying that CC #2 was doing a firmware update and I wouldn't be able to watch live TV until it was done. It took close to 15 min and after that I had no more trouble tuning channels on either tuner.

So I wondered if this was for real, or just a glitch triggered by either a problem with that CC or a problem with TWC's system. (The TWC system aribtrarily removed provisioning from my Tuning Adapter about 10 days ago, costing me 4 hours fiddling and phone time.)

If it is a real firmware update, I wondered when or if it was applied to the other CC. (I have 2 s-cards.)

In the DVR Diagnostics, the software version for both cards is given as "1".
Does that number actually mean anything?

Is there any way in the diagnostic screens to tell when an actual CC firmware update occurred? And to what firmware version?

Has anyone else in TWC Southwest Ohio had this happen recently?

and
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #4398
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Last night I started having trouble tuning any channels on one of my tuners. Soon I had a screen saying that CC #2 was doing a firmware update and I wouldn't be able to watch live TV until it was done. It took close to 15 min and after that I had no more trouble tuning channels on either tuner.

So I wondered if this was for real, or just a glitch triggered by either a problem with that CC or a problem with TWC's system. (The TWC system aribtrarily removed provisioning from my Tuning Adapter about 10 days ago, costing me 4 hours fiddling and phone time.)

If it is a real firmware update, I wondered when or if it was applied to the other CC. (I have 2 s-cards.)

In the DVR Diagnostics, the software version for both cards is given as "1".
Does that number actually mean anything?

Is there any way in the diagnostic screens to tell when an actual CC firmware update occurred? And to what firmware version?

Has anyone else in TWC Southwest Ohio had this happen recently?
I have been searching for that same information on both my TIVO HD & my MOXI. I was thinking that the firmware version should be something other than "1"
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #4399
mercurial
Retro-Av

Oddest things yesterday. I was on the couch recovering from having a temporary crown put in and just had live TV on since I knew I'd be dozing a bit. Both FoodTV and HGTV kept having issues (video would go black, no sound or sound would go away and video would keep going). Did the DVR diagnostics and it had a very high RS corrected and uncorrected counts. Signal strength was 100 and SNR was 36db. Tried adding a pad and it dropped to 90/95 and 35db still had an issue. Restarted the TiVo and suddenly all was well.

Known issue? Something new? Fluke?

I'm putting this here since I assume it's at least vaguely TWC related.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #4400
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Have you been following the TWC TA Carolinas thread? Possibly related?

Quote:
Known issue? Something new? Fluke?
My HD is always making me ask that question -- it's almost a hobby just keeping it running. For example see post #4397 above.

and
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #4401
mercurial
Retro-Av

I've never seen either of my S3's or my THD ask about a CC firmware upgrade. Also, I've never seen or heard (though I can't catch 100% of the posts) of an issue where the RS corrected/uncorrected count was high with the described glitches and a restart sent the counts to zero and corrected everything. One of those channels (HGTV HD) is not SDV (at least to my understanding) and the other (Food TV HD) is so I did not post in the TA or SDV threads.

I will agree with you that maintaining these boxes (especially the S3 in the basement rec room that gets infrequent direct viewing these days) is a pain. Usually my issue is sync with the TA going wonky (won't tune channels) requiring a reboot of each. Shoot, I almost want to put all the TAs and S3/THDs on X-10 controllers and just reboot them at some "safe" time late at night 2-3 times a week... Although the other day, for the first time, I turned on the TV and it was on the "press select" dialog for a live SDV channel that had timed out and when I pressed Select, it actually requested and got the channel tuned. Maybe the gradual update are actually fixing things.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #4402
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
No SDV in L.A. yet. Check this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=306411 as there have been some recent discussions, but no concrete info.

A few months ago TWC had me provide my cable card info. I suspect that was related to the eventual deployment of SDV, which I expect within 6 months. As messed up as TWC is, I suspect they will have more info on SDV and the tuning adapter when SDV is actually implemented.
I'm in Northridge and got a letter from TW telling me that SDV is coming Nov. 12, 2009. There was a HUGE list of channels on the reverse side of the letter.

I guess I'd better hook up my TA one day before then.
CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #4403
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post
I'm in Northridge and got a letter from TW telling me that SDV is coming Nov. 12, 2009. There was a HUGE list of channels on the reverse side of the letter.

I guess I'd better hook up my TA one day before then.
CB
are you using a motorola tuning adapter?
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #4404
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

It's a Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter. I haven't attached it yet.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks, CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #4405
JimWall

Better make sure TW has the Tuning Adapter S/N on your account so it will work
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #4406
Thess
Drive-By Poster

I'm in the TWC Durham NC area. I have a friend who lives about a mile away. We both have Tivo HDs and cablecards from TWC. He says he hasn't been able to tune FXHD for a few days; I can tune it fine. Given that he's restarted his equipment, what is the next step for him?
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #4407
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
I'm in the TWC Durham NC area. I have a friend who lives about a mile away. We both have Tivo HDs and cablecards from TWC. He says he hasn't been able to tune FXHD for a few days; I can tune it fine. Given that he's restarted his equipment, what is the next step for him?
Call TWC Customer care and ask for the 'cablecard helpdesk'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #4408
JimWall

I used to have channels randomly not appear and it was a weak signal. So check the signal strength
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #4409
mdblanke

TiVo HD with 2 TWC cable cards

I know this is probably old news but I am having trouble with my new TiVo HD and getting all my channels. I had a TWC tech come out and instal 2 cable cards, first he tried just one, even though i requested a multi stream card, and that did not work so he put in a second one and final got that to work. After one day I no longer get all my stations. The channels that do not come in our from my digital package, for me channels 100-180 The cabe guy
mdblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #4410
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdblanke View Post
I know this is probably old news but I am having trouble with my new TiVo HD and getting all my channels. I had a TWC tech come out and instal 2 cable cards, first he tried just one, even though i requested a multi stream card, and that did not work so he put in a second one and final got that to work. After one day I no longer get all my stations. The channels that do not come in our from my digital package, for me channels 100-180 The cabe guy
It sounds like TW doesn't have your cable card correctly registered to your account as well as all the TW packages that your account is supposed to be able to receive.

If you don't have a tuning adaptor, it is also possible that the channels you cannot receive are SDV.

Anyway, first call your local TW and see whether they can fix things at their end.

Unless you don't have the tuning adaptor and there are SDV channels in your area, there should be no reason for them to send anyone out to your house again.

Even if you need the tuning adaptor, in some areas it just gets shipped to you.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote