TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 AM   #3841
tomlavelle

I ordered a WD10EVVS from buy.com last week; arrived Wednesday, I just tried to upgrade today Saturday. No joy - Tivo boots to the rainbow 'powering up' screen but never gets past that. I hear the drive spin up and the heads move a little when I put the power to the Tivo but after that it's pretty quiet.

MDL: WD10EVVS - 63M5B0
Product of Thailand
DATE: 19 SEP 2009
DCM: DANCHV2MGB
R/N: 701640
LBA: 1953525168

Note that the first five characters of the DCM are different than MitchV's, which was sourced from buy.com at about the same time.

I used WinMFS, flipped supersize on. MFSCopy from original 250GB disk to this 1TB disk took a couple hours, WinMFS reported that everything went fine.

I did not turn OneCare anti-virus off.

I have not jumpered the drive in any way.

Any ideas?!? I'm frustrated because I've upgraded Series3 Tivos in the past without issue, my primary Tivo has a failing (Seagate 750GB) disk and I need to get this newly acquired Series3 working ASAP.

Thanks,
Tom
tomlavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #3842
bkdtv

Try a truncated backup and restore -- rather than mfscopy -- from Windows safe mode (i.e. without antivirus).

If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you got one of the new WD10EVVS drives that just isn't compatible. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Here some alternatives:

Seagate ST31000322CS @ Provantage.com
Seagate ST31000322CS @ TheNerds.net
Seagate ST31000322CS @ PC Connection
Seagate ST31000322CS @ Amazon.com

Western Digital WD10EVDS @ Amazon
Western Digital WD10EVDS @ Buy.com
Western Digital WD10EVDS @ TheNerds.net
Western Digital WD10EVDS @ CDW
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #3843
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearncl View Post
But my DARCHV2MBB, Sept. 20, drive worked (post #3735).
It appears I have a drive like hearncl's (DCM beginning w/"D") and it also worked in my TivoHD. I ordered it on Sept. 30 from Amazon. I just opened the case and pulled the information listed on my drive:

Product of Thailand
DATE: 20 SEP 2009
DCM: DARCNV2MGB

As I was composing this message I was allowing the Tivo power back up and decided to try and do a Kickstart 54, but it got stuck in "Powering Up" mode. I unplugged the power cord, plugged it back in, and this time got to the "Just a Few Minutes More Screen." But now it just transitioned to a GSOD, the same one that is triggered by a Kickstart 57. I don't get it...all I did was pull the case off and put it back on!

UPDATE: The Tivo stayed on the GSOD for about an hour and restarted, freezing on the "Powering Up" screen. After about 15 minutes I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it booted up normally. But now I'm worried about the drive--seems there may be a problem with sectors or something. Should I run Kickstart 54 overnight and see if it fails any tests? If so, should I RMA it and get a drive from the approved list?

Last edited by bowlingblogger : 10-18-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: new info
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #3844
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
...The Tivo stayed on the GSOD for about an hour and restarted, freezing on the "Powering Up" screen. After about 15 minutes I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it booted up normally. But now I'm worried about the drive--seems there may be a problem with sectors or something. Should I run Kickstart 54 overnight and see if it fails any tests? If so, should I RMA it and get a drive from the approved list?
If you reboot it multiple times does it consistently come up properly now.?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #3845
moscovitzd

Please let me know how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
I've been waiting since July for the wd15evds. About 2 months ago I ordered it from provantage for about $145, but it never shipped. I cancelled that order last week when I saw that they reduced the price to $130. This morning, I almost reordered from provantage for $130, but then I saw that Beachaudio.com had 60 wd15evds in stock as of 10/15, so I reordered my 2 drives from beachaudio. Apparently no one else has ordered it in the past 12 hours. There are still 58 left. I just talked to them a few minutes ago and they said my drives already shipped. The price at beachaudio is currently $142.99 and they have free shipping.
Hi WGW.... I'm interested in getting a few WD15EVDS drives for my Tivo HDs. Can you please let me know how it works for you?

Thanks,
Dave
moscovitzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #3846
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
If you reboot it multiple times does it consistently come up properly now.?
Thanks for the suggestion...it has been working since I unplugged it and plugged it back in about two-and-a-half hours ago. My wife is watching Netflix now so there's no telling when I'll have a chance to reboot it again (she was already peeved that it wasn't working when she got up)! I will run the full SMART test overnight and see if it passes all the tests and post back with the results.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #3847
tomlavelle

[quote=bkdtv;7556759]Try a truncated backup and restore -- rather than mfscopy -- from Windows safe mode (i.e. without antivirus).

If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you got one of the new WD10EVVS drives that just isn't compatible. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Here some alternatives:

/QUOTE]

It's still not getting past the powering up screen, after trying the truncated restore/backup approach with WinMFS on Windows Vista in safe mode.

Not sure what to do at this point other than buy a different drive. I also have a couple WD10EACS 1TB drives lying around, I may try one of those though I recall people saying that they wouldn't work in the Series3.

Anybody ever play with jumpers to any level of success? I recall that the Series3 can't move data faster than 1.5GB anyway. It's easy enough for me to test anyway, I will try that next.
tomlavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #3848
richsadams

[quote=tomlavelle;7557706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlavelle View Post
I also have a couple WD10EACS 1TB drives lying around, I may try one of those though I recall people saying that they wouldn't work in the Series3.
The WD10EACS will work in a Series3 but the problem is that it will not boot up from a menu restart or a software upgrade. If you can live with that (knowing that after TiVo forces an upgrade that it won't do anything until you conduct a hard reboot - pull the power cord and plug it back in) it'll work.

I still think using any sort of jumpers on any drive is going to cause you problems when it comes to upgrading TiVo. But best of luck!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #3849
bowlingblogger

[quote=richsadams;7557788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlavelle View Post
The WD10EACS will work in a Series3 but the problem is that it will not boot up from a menu restart or a software upgrade.
It appears my WD10EVVS, which I thought was working fine, is also exhibiting the soft reboot problem. I am going to RMA it and get a WD10EVDS. Thanks to all of you for figuring out the unfortunate changes made to this drive and a good alternative!

Last edited by bowlingblogger : 10-19-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: fixed wrong drive name
Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #3850
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
It appears my WD10EVVS, which I thought was working fine, is also exhibiting the soft reboot problem.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Now that's interesting - on two counts. That the drive actually worked (w/manufacture date of Sep 20, 2009) and AFAIK it's the first soft reboot problem anyone has posted for the WD10EVVS. Here's bowlingblogger's drive specs:

Product of Thailand

Anyone else run into the soft reboot problem with their WD10EVVS?

As mentioned earlier it appears that this is a repeat of the WD10EADS which initially worked with Series3's and TiVo HD's, but due to an unknown production change suddenly exhibited the soft reboot issue in Series3's.

Staying away from the WD10EVVS is certainly wise advice at this time (maybe forever). The WD10EVDS should do well going forward. Hopefully WD will leave well enough alone!

Oh, and for those playing along, I never did hear back from WD after I asked them for some more information after their second e-mail revealed nothing.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #3851
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscovitzd View Post
Hi WGW.... I'm interested in getting a few WD15EVDS drives for my Tivo HDs. Can you please let me know how it works for you?

Thanks,
Dave
You bet. Drive will arrive tomorrow. But my diagnostic computer is so old it will take at least 24 hours to do an extended read test followed by a full write test. I always do complete diags on new drives before using them. I also might have to wait until late Friday night before I can pull the 1TB drive out of my Tivo and do the transfer. Will report results ASAP though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #3852
DaveL1981

Just put a WD10EVDS in my Australian TiVo and ran the supersize option.

Now my TiVo reports a recording capacity of "up to 218 hours of HD".

Does anyone know why it would be 218 rather than 157 hours like most people get?
DaveL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #3853
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL1981 View Post

Does anyone know why it would be 218 rather than 157 hours like most people get?
TiVo evidently uses a different calculation to estimate capacity on the Australian DVRs. That would make sense if Australian broadcasters typically use lower bitrates for their HD.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #3854
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Now that's interesting - on two counts. That the drive actually worked (w/manufacture date of Sep 20, 2009) and AFAIK it's the first soft reboot problem anyone has posted for the WD10EVVS.
Hmm, I don't like being unique here in the hardware world! I initially thought that I did something when I pulled the case off to get the drive info to post in this thread, but now I'm thinking that it had the problem from the beginning and I just didn't notice it (I don't remember restarting from the menu since I installed it). I'm really glad I pulled the case off, because otherwise I might not have figured this out until it was too late to RMA it. The WD10EVVS passed all of the SMART tests I ran overnight, but I've already ordered the WD10EVDS, so we'll see how that goes. When I get it I'll run a full diagnostic. wgw (or anyone else who's done this), is WD Lifeguard the best way to go about this?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #3855
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL1981 View Post

Assuming you did use the Australian version of WinMFS I guess what it reports is correct... as mentioned, different tyical bitrates and/or resolutions used in the calculation probably factors in here.

And apparently 1440x1080 is more typical for 1080i broadcasts in Autralia, so 1920/1440*157 = 209... pretty close to your 218.

Last edited by dswallow : 10-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #3856
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Staying away from the WD10EVVS is certainly wise advice at this time (maybe forever). The WD10EVDS should do well going forward. Hopefully WD will leave well enough alone!
I still have to upgrade my wife's TiVo HD. I think I'll use a Seagate ST31000322CS this time. It would be just my luck that WD would decide to do a change on the EVDS like they did on the EVVS and I'd get one of the first new drives.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #3857
lew

We don't know if WD changed something that makes current drives incompatible with tivo or if we're just looking at a bad bunch of drives.

I wonder if WD is putting the drives into some kind of power saving mode which tivo doesn't recognize. If true the issue may occur with other WD green drives.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #3858
KevinG

Just a point of reference:

I purchased (from ebay) one of these:

FILEMATE 3.5" USB 2.0 eSATA External SATA HDD Enclosure

http://cgi.ebay.com/FILEMATE-3-5-USB...#ht_5157wt_940

(although I paid $23.99)

It arrived yesterday, I dropped an old unused WD 500 gig drive in, and plugged it into my Series 3.

The included eSata cable works fine, and all is well. I'll likely order another one for my other series 3.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #3859
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
We don't know if WD changed something that makes current drives incompatible with tivo or if we're just looking at a bad bunch of drives.
That's true. Pablo hasn't been very forthcoming.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #3860
hearncl

Quote:
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Now that's interesting - on two counts. That the drive actually worked (w/manufacture date of Sep 20, 2009) and AFAIK it's the first soft reboot problem anyone has posted for the WD10EVVS. Here's bowlingblogger's drive specs:

Product of Thailand

Anyone else run into the soft reboot problem with their WD10EVVS?
Does restarting from the TiVo menus count as a soft reboot? As I posted earlier (post #3735), my Sept. 20 WD10EVVS worked fine in a TiVo HD. It had not been restarted since then, so I just tried restarting from the menu. It booted up as before.

I also needed to upgrade a Series 3, and given the problems with some WD10EVVS's, I used the Seagate ST31000322CS. It worked fine in the Series 3.
hearncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #3861
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post

I wonder if WD is putting the drives into some kind of power saving mode which tivo doesn't recognize. If true the issue may occur with other WD green drives.
It doesn't seem that it's a global problem with WD GP drives because other models (to date) are not exhibiting the problem of not booting up entirely. In addition power saving mode generally occurs when a drive is inactive for a pre-determined amount of time. Since TiVo drives are active 24/7 it shouldn't be an issue even if the WD drives employed that option. Not saying that problems with other drives (WD or others) won't occur in the future, but it doesn't seem likely that the problem is anything more than a production change or as you mentioned possibly a batch of bad drives (although if they are "bad" it doesn't seem likely that they would work in PC's either which they apparently do). Still a mystery.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #3862
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Just a point of reference:

I purchased (from ebay) one of these:

FILEMATE 3.5" USB 2.0 eSATA External SATA HDD Enclosure

http://cgi.ebay.com/FILEMATE-3-5-USB...#ht_5157wt_940

(although I paid $23.99)

It arrived yesterday, I dropped an old unused WD 500 gig drive in, and plugged it into my Series 3.

The included eSata cable works fine, and all is well. I'll likely order another one for my other series 3.
Nice find. Can you let us know how warm the enclosure gets?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #3863
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearncl View Post
Does restarting from the TiVo menus count as a soft reboot? As I posted earlier (post #3735), my Sept. 20 WD10EVVS worked fine in a TiVo HD. It had not been restarted since then, so I just tried restarting from the menu. It booted up as before.

I also needed to upgrade a Series 3, and given the problems with some WD10EVVS's, I used the Seagate ST31000322CS. It worked fine in the Series 3.
Yes, restarting TiVo via the menu option is considered a "soft reboot" (a "hard reboot" is pulling the power plug). The issue has been with Series3's only though...TiVo HD's have never had a soft reboot problem.

Good to know the Seagate is working well.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #3864
KevinG

Quote:
Nice find. Can you let us know how warm the enclosure gets?
First thing I did this morning was feel it...It was *barely* above room temperature. I'd like to run it a bit longer to see if that is consistent though. I have it standing vertically (as it is meant to be) next to my tivo in an entertainment center (with an open front, so pretty good air circulation).

-Kevin
Old 10-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #3865
richsadams

Quote:
First thing I did this morning was feel it...It was *barely* above room temperature. I'd like to run it a bit longer to see if that is consistent though. I have it standing vertically (as it is meant to be) next to my tivo in an entertainment center (with an open front, so pretty good air circulation).

-Kevin
Sweet! A 1TB drive would probably run slightly hotter, but it sounds like the enclosure does a good job dissipating heat.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #3866
KevinG

Quote:
Sweet! A 1TB drive would probably run slightly hotter, but it sounds like the enclosure does a good job dissipating heat.
Yes, that could be the case.

Last evening I disconnected the drive from the Tivo, attached it via USB to my PC and set the accoustic settings (wife heard it the previous night...it's on the Series 3 in the bedroom). After that, it was much quieter...but it is transfering some vibration to the glass shelf that it is on...so I'll look into a way to isolate that.

In summary, though, it is *not* getting anywhere near what I would describe as "hot". Just mildly warm. It's a keeper for sure...

I'm likely to get another one, even though the price went up slightly.

-Kevin

Last edited by KevinG : 10-21-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3867
moxie1617

Quote:
...but it is transfering some vibration to the glass shelf that it is on...so I'll look into a way to isolate that.

-Kevin
Quick and dirty fix until you find a more elegant solution is bubble wrap under the drive.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #3868
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
Quick and dirty fix until you find a more elegant solution is bubble wrap under the drive.
A classic style mouse pad would work, too.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #3869
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
A classic style mouse pad would work, too.
+1
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #3870
armstrr

i got a prepared 2tb hard drive off of ebay for my tivoHD. it came with 2 pages of data...apparantly test data. popped it in and the tivo shows 318hrs.

the drive was a wd20eads dated sept 09. it has been running for about a week with no problem.

i'm curious what some of these "retailers" are doing differently and why there is little to no talk of 2tb single hard drive solutions for tivos.
armstrr is offline   Reply With Quote