TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #31
flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhuff View Post
The M CableCARD went in with no trouble. The tech was not able to get the TuningAdapter working. I've got my 3rd appointment for a tech on Monday...he said he was going to bring about 5 Tuning Adapters out with hopes that one will work. Hopefully the 3rd trip out is a charm!
took a little effort to get my TR working in early June. I had the cable running through my UPS, which apparently impeded the initial authorization hits. Hooked the cable direct, and all it started working. Once it was working, I was able to re-route the cable through the UPS to protect against surges.

Not sure if this applies to your set up, but I thought I'd add my experience just in case.
flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
scottopus

Quote:
So we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'll have my print out of "How to install a Tuning Adapter for switched digital video" to refer too.
The installing tech called me at 4 PM for my 4-6PM appointment that he didn't have any TA's and would like to reschedule the appointment. I asked when are they expecting some TA's to be available? To this he said he didn't know when. I said why setup another appointment if you don't even know if you'll have a TA to install. He had no answer to this logic. I told him I didn't want to set up until they got more TA's. I called Brighthouse customer service and got the same message. So currently have no TA and no appointment to get one.

Last edited by scottopus : 08-31-2009 at 11:23 AM.
scottopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #33
deanhuff

Visit #3 from the cable company resulted in no change. The tech arrived with no new TA's and no knowledge of what a TA is. I called customer service back and they tell me a "senior tech" is coming out today or tomorrow morning. If they show up, it will be visit #4.

Flyers...thanks for the heads up on possible line troubles. I'll be sure to connect everything with a straight shot to the TA when it's being set up.
deanhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #34
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhuff View Post
Visit #3 from the cable company resulted in no change. The tech arrived with no new TA's and no knowledge of what a TA is. I called customer service back and they tell me a "senior tech" is coming out today or tomorrow morning. If they show up, it will be visit #4.

Flyers...thanks for the heads up on possible line troubles. I'll be sure to connect everything with a straight shot to the TA when it's being set up.
I just went OTA and have 2 SCARDs and a TA sitting by the door waiting for a BHN tech to pick them up on Wednesday. Should I send him to Tampa?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #35
deanhuff

Yesterday had tech visit #4 in the AM (he knocked but we didn't hear him ) Visit #5 happened in the PM. This time the tech brought out his "supervisor". For some reason they keep on coming out thinking that I need a new MCard. That problem was already fixed in vist #2.

Neither of them brought new Tuning Adapter equipment and they both failed at attempting to get my existing TA up and running. I was promised that today someone will come out with new hardware. I am not holding my breath.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #36
deanhuff

So sixth trip was the trick. The tech swapped out my Tuning Adapter for a new one and everything worked just fine.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #37
scottopus

Thumbs up One and Done

Well it took three additional calls to actually get an appointment scheduled. The last person (Lynn) I talked to at Brighthouse confirmed that they had a TA to install before setting up the appointment. This didn't happen the previous two times. Once she confirmed they had one she asked what time was good for me. I asked for 4-6PM. She put me on hold then came back to say that they could do that time but might be a little early. I thanked her for helping to get the issue resolved.

I got home at 3:30 PM expecting them to be early. I got a call at 5:30 PM that the tech was running late and should be there around 6:30 PM. The tech should up at 6:20 PM with a new Cisco STA1520 TA bagged up. I asked if he every install one and his answer was no. He went on to say when they handed him the TA at the "warehouse" they wished him good luck. I told him I had the instructions printed out. He followed the Tivo instructions exactly. Once the unit powered up, he said to give it some time before seeing if it will work. I told him that he needs to call and get the TA tied to the Cablecard. He called Brighthouse FOD or FOL or somthing like that. He told him that he was installing a Digital Tuning Adapter and it was hooked up and it ready for them to program it. The first person he called didn't know what to do so he hung up on her. He then placed another call and got someone who's done one before. The tech was on with him for about half hour. You could hear the person on the other end of the line talking to two other people. When it was all said in done, they said it was ready and should be working. Looking at the Tivo TA diag screen under "network status", the TA was still showing Uninitialized. The tech then called to schedule another appointment tomorrow. I asked what is the person going to do tomorrow that he didn't do? He wasn't sure but there wasn't anything more he could to this evening. I told him that it was installed correctly but something on the setup end wasn't done right. We went back to the Tivo TA diag screen under network status and saw that it changed from uninitialized to idle. Tivo was still unable to see the SDV channels. The tech left for his next appointment. Since the status changed, I felt the TA might be working but wasn't working with Tivo correctly. I rebooted the Tivo and only unplugged the power to the TA leaving all other connections (Coaxial and USB) alone. Once the tivo powered up completely, I plugged the power back into the TA. The green was flashing for about two minutes then went solid. After that happened, Tivo put up a message about check to see if channels are available or something like that. I choose continue and changed Tivo to a SDV channel (809 Big Ten Network). About a two seconds later, the channel came up. All things considered, I pretty happy to have a working TA even after all the calls.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #38
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Nice! You need to update your signature now
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #39
scottopus

Good Point, done
Old 09-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #40
scottopus

Spoke to soon

The TA worked all night then the middle of this morning the solid LED started to blink and I lost the SDV channels. My wife tried removing just the power on the TA and then rebooting the Tivo the rebooting the TA. I guess I need to read up how to fix the green blinking eye of death.

Last edited by scottopus : 09-11-2009 at 11:38 PM.
scottopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #41
scottopus

When I got home from work, I tried rebooting the TA and moving the USB to a different slot with no success. I went back into the Tivo TA diag screens and called Brighthouse. After finally getting to a real tech (Bob), I told him my TA was saying it was not authorized and the Opstatus was Disabled. I found this information under Account & System>Tuning Adapter>Tuning Adapter Diag>Nextpage>Tuning Resolver. He said that the TA was on my equipment list but wasn't on my "router" or something like that. He went on to say that he could see that the TA was disabled. He told me that this might take awhile since he's never done this. He tried a couple of different ways to get it working. About 10 minutes later, he said it's showing that it's authorized and ready. I keep refreshing the screen till I saw it change about 4 seconds later. I went back to the TA channel test. It was showing the acquiring channel screen:

So I'm back in business for now.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #42
Gerry5000

What a nightmare! I will be returning to St. Petersburg in about three weeks after being away for five months. When I left there was no SDV. I dread going through what you just encountered. I had similiar problems with Brighthouse in setting up the cable cards. It took four visits to set up one M card properly.
Gerry5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #43
scottopus

Gerry5000,

The only channels that I know are SDV are:

Digital Channels
745 - SPEED HD
748 - CNBC HD+
750 - BIO HD
Sports Pack
800 - FOX COLLEGE SPORTS ATLANTIC
801 - FOX COLLEGE SPORTS CENTRAL
802 - FOX COLLEGE SPORTS PACIFIC
803 - NBA TV
804 - TENNIS CHANNEL
805 - OUTDOOR CHANNEL
806 - FUEL
807 - CBS COLLEGE SPORTS
808 - NHL NETWORK
809 - BIG TEN NETWORK
811 - YES NETWORK
812 - BRIGHT HOUSE SPORTS NETWORK

The only reason I got the TA was for the Big Ten Network otherwise I would have waited.

FYI- TA is still working

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #44
Gerry5000

Thanks for the information. There appears to be fewer channels I need the TA for than I expected. I most enjoy the movie stations; sports does follow, but from what you say I can get most pro football.
Thanks again
Gerry5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #45
trtsmb

On Sunday, just about all of our HD channels with Tampa Brighthouse and a few of the digital channels went to "Channel Unavailable". The only HD channels we are seeing are ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/FOX. Syfy, TNT, all Discovery Channels, etc have become unavailable.

Friday a tech is coming out to check. I have a feeling that BHN switched to SDV and is not admitting it.
trtsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #46
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtsmb View Post
On Sunday, just about all of our HD channels with Tampa Brighthouse and a few of the digital channels went to "Channel Unavailable". The only HD channels we are seeing are ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/FOX. Syfy, TNT, all Discovery Channels, etc have become unavailable.

Friday a tech is coming out to check. I have a feeling that BHN switched to SDV and is not admitting it.
With letters to local and county government offices, as well as the FCC and state congressmen, Central Florida customers were able to get BHN to restore service to missing channels until Tuning Adapters were made available: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=383361

Maybe some loud voices in Tampa can have a similar effect there!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #47
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtsmb View Post

I saw you posted over in the other thread as well. Hopefully they are not switching that large a range to SDV. I lost all the channels above 708 on Sunday too, but they came back by Monday night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #48
trtsmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I saw you posted over in the as well. Hopefully they are not switching that large a range to SDV. I lost all the channels above 708 on Sunday too, but they came back by Monday night.
Most of my channels reappeared a few minutes ago but I'm still missing MILH, CIN, CNBCHD and a few others.

It'll be interesting to see what the tech has to say when he comes on Friday.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #49
windracer
joined the 10k club

I just noticed I can't tune to 750 BIOHD, so I wonder if that one has gone SDV. I can't remember if I got it before.

|
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #50
TomRaz

Yes Wind, Channels, 745, 748 and 750 have gone to SDV and require a tuning adapter
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #51
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, thanks. That matches with the channels I'm not receiving. Luckily I don't really care that much about those channels so I won't have to deal with the pain of getting a TA from BHN (for now).

|
Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #52
TomRaz

I have not really had any issues with my TA's and they are free for the first 12 months.

Come join the fun
Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #53
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Question What to do so Cable Guy just makes ONE visit?

I'm getting really POd with my Bright House HD Dvr (8300Hd POS) and am verging on getting an HD TiVo.

I want to troubleshoot even before I order.

I'm in South Pinellas/near Beach area of St Petersburg. I'm accustomed to dropping by their office to exchange or pick up different boxes, and do my own install.

I hate having someone come out for the cable cards. Is there anyway around this?

Exactly what do you guys, who are experienced with the annoyances of BHN, recommend I "order" to be sure they have the correct equipment when they come? Is there anything I should do in advance to be sure they can install in one swell foop?

Also, I'm confused by some newer terms e.g., TA -- Tuning adapter (why? what for?), SDV, etc. Any help elucidating will be appreciated -- and I'm doing a searc now.

I plan to get upgrade space with an external drive. What experiences did you have when you did that.

Thanks for insights!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #54
trtsmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz View Post
Yes Wind, Channels, 745, 748 and 750 have gone to SDV and require a tuning adapter
Do you know if any of the digital Tampa BH channels are SDV? Besides the HD channels you listed, we can't get 190, 191, 169, 170.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #55
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, I don't get those either, so I'm guessing SDV.

|
Old 10-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #56
TomRaz

Come on Windracer getting a TA is your destiny
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #57
windracer
joined the 10k club

Like I said, until I'm forced to, because some channel I actually want to watch is SDV, there's really no need.

|
Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #58
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

No 170?

Dang. Sometimes I like 170 (C&I) I record Philly. It is a weird channel and has twin peaks etc. I wouldn't spend money for it though.

So long as I can continue to record Sleuth, I'm okay. I love Bury the Lead.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #59
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
It is a weird channel and has twin peaks etc.
I think I've seen Twin Peaks on Chiller (168).

|
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #60
scottopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottopus View Post
The adapter will be free for 12 months, after which point you will be billed the standard amount. Currently, the monthly charge for the adapter is $3.80. Should that rate change at any time, we will provide notice of that, however the monthly charges for equipment rarely do change.
Well I got my bill and I was charged the $3.80 for the TA and $0.95 for an additional digital outlet. I called up Brighthouse about these overcharges. They said that everything was well documented and they would make the adjustments for those two charges. The CS operator said that when I made the second appointment, they forgot to include the 12 month free code to the work order.