TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #61
lutzdavid

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 Series 2 TiVo with an integrated DVD player. The TiVo has basic service. I have two other TiVos with lifetime TiVo Plus service so I am fairly familiar with how the TiVo should work.

Over the last month when I turn on the tv the TiVo is attached to, all I see is a black screen. I can reboot the machine and it will work fine for 30 to 60 minutes and then the screen will go black (one time the screen froze and did not go black). I have to reboot it again to resume watching tv. It will play shows though to the finish that have previously been recorded. I noticed that it was not connecting to the TiVo service at night. It will connect if I do it manually using the menu path.

Does this sound like a hard drive issue? If so, I have a hard drive that I took out of a series 2 TiVo brand TiVo a few years ago. Could I transplant it to the Toshiba TiVo that is giving me problems? Is so, would it need to be reformatted in any way prior to the transplant? I only have a handful of recorded shows on the Now Playing list and I am not worried about losing them.

Thanks to anyone that can advise.
lutzdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #62
tony9823

Hi new member. I just purchase a phillips DVR tivo. I want to use it as a stand alone record only. (no tivo service) How do I get past the setup program? I can't get past the dialup section in the setup part. It trys to dial everytime. Is there a menu to get out of this page so I can just record? Hope someome can help me with or we have to throw it in closet and save it for vintage electroic.
Thank Tony
tony9823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #63
TFDerrick
Router Reset

HELP! - Have Tivo and NO transfer... Running a Series 2 via a Linksys 54G and straight to my computer (AMD X2-4200, XP, AVG) Have done all the recommended things, (spent hours on the phone with both TiVo and Linksys - they charged me $30 to tell me where to put the port numbers). Still same problem - can connect to DVR but cannot transfer files. The moment I click to start the transfer, the server can't be found. I've installed, re-installed and updated until I'm about to go blind - I'm sorely tempted to take a sledge to the router at this moment.
TFDerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #64
AuntieLolo

Your links don't work. I think they are in the archives.
AuntieLolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #65
Luckyed

Has anyone had (or heard of) issues where a Series 1 unit plays recording perfectly but when each scheduled recording time arrive the unit only changes the channel 10% of the time. Typically it just records 30 or 60 minutes of whatever channel the TV was on when it was turned off last. Every once in a while it will "try" to change to the scheduled channel to be recorded and show the "0" of, say channel "04" but stops midway at just the "0" and ultimately records the channel it was on previously.
Luckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #66
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
Has anyone had (or heard of) issues where a Series 1 unit plays recording perfectly but when each scheduled recording time arrive the unit only changes the channel 10% of the time. Typically it just records 30 or 60 minutes of whatever channel the TV was on when it was turned off last. Every once in a while it will "try" to change to the scheduled channel to be recorded and show the "0" of, say channel "04" but stops midway at just the "0" and ultimately records the channel it was on previously.
Does the Series 1 use IR blasters? If so, did they get bumped maybe while cleaning?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #67
Luckyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Does the Series 1 use IR blasters? If so, did they get bumped maybe while cleaning?
In fact I do use IR Blasters. I will check the connections tonight and post back. Thanks for the suggestion.
Luckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #68
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
In fact I do use IR Blasters. I will check the connections tonight and post back. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem! I'm definitely not promising anything, but figured I'd offer perhaps the easiest solution (wiggle some wires) before offering going into Tivo settings and altering channel changing behavior.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #69
jetdvr
Jetdvr

new to tivo

Just food for thought, I recommend you consider how long you might have/keep the unit you are considering getting the lifetime on. I have done that. In 10 years I've had 5+ Tivos due to new and improved boxes, and my latest was to move to the HD box. No transferring lifetime subscriptions. Even if it goes bad you may not be able to transfer the lifetime. Just saying do your research before doing that. Just as a note - I have a lifetime TIVO subscription on a single tuner unit I have from 1997. I upgraded to Dual turner in less than a year. I would like to use it in the basement but I can't use it because I'm in the wireless age and don't have a phone line to get program info to it and it was before wireless connections were part of Tivo boxes. Technology changes pretty fast and don't we always have to have the latest?

Good luck!
jetdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #70
Markcrew1

thanks for help

This is very helpful.
Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Markcrew1 : 04-04-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Markcrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #71
ncom

Question Transfer Tivo recording via email?

Can I copy a recording and send via email?
ncom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #72
sanjibeceltic

Great post. nothing to say about this post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sanjibeceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #73
beverlyj80

Thanks for the list, I already found what I am looking for, wheeww..I though I need to search and search..the post of yours are very helpful..

beverlyj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #74
rwhadley

How can I control Two boxes in same room

I have two TIVO boxes in the same room. One is a TIVO Series2 and the other is a HUMAX TIVO series 2. Problem is both controllers seem to be set on the same wavelength so they both affect both boxes. Is there anyway to have controller 1 affect only box 1 and controller 2 affect only box 2. OR use the DVR toggle (has a 1 and 2 postion) on the TIVO controller to separately control the two boxes??
rwhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #75
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhadley View Post
I have two TIVO boxes in the same room. One is a TIVO Series2 and the other is a HUMAX TIVO series 2. Problem is both controllers seem to be set on the same wavelength so they both affect both boxes. Is there anyway to have controller 1 affect only box 1 and controller 2 affect only box 2. OR use the DVR toggle (has a 1 and 2 postion) on the TIVO controller to separately control the two boxes??
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/284

Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #76
Joe54

Broken Link?

Not sure what happened.

I was reviewing the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List thread via the link under •For help in getting TiVo to change channels reliably... on this page, when power went out because of a thunderstorm. When I came back up and tried the link, I was directed to a page that said:

Welcome to web-i18n.net.
NOTICE: This domain name expired on 07/31/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion.

I was on the page less than an hour before. Any idea how to get back?

Last edited by Joe54 : 08-01-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added title
Joe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #77
Joe54

Broken Link

Link is now working, was it just me?
Joe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #78
lpwcomp

Sounds more like they renewed the domain.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #79
alanb

Very helpful list Thank You.
alanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #80
Pacomartin

TIVO HDMI problem

My TIVO QUAD will not hook up to a HDTV with HDMI. It worked for about 4 weeks, and then suddenly there is a problem. I am not sure of the cause. I get no signal from the HDMI port, and if I hook up through Composite ports at the same time I get a message telling me to unhook the HDMI plug.

I have rearranged and put the TIVO QUAD in a room with an older STDTV and hooked it up via component plugs, and put a TIVO PREVIEW in a room the HDTV and hooked that up via HDMI. But I would like to upgrade the STDTV. I would like to avoid sending the TIVO QUAD back to RCN cable company and losing all my recordings. I am thinking there is a setting wrong, but repeated calls to customer support have been unable to produce a guess as to the problem.

Any ideas?

Also, can I determilne the manufacturing date of the TIVO QUAD. I am curious how long it has been circulating among cable customers.
Pacomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #81
rcanoza

The link to "DrStrange's PVR Comparisons" points now to a random blog, not having to do with video recording AFAICT
rcanoza is offline   Reply With Quote