Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #91
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post

I saw that unit on ebay and wondered how one would get the image, given that there is no instancake for it.
Yep, that's the one. I hope that someone can help me out.
Rowsdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #92
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, hopefully someone will get it for you cause that's too much money to not know for sure if it works.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #93
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I saw that unit on ebay and wondered how one would get the image, given that there is no instancake for it.
Probably time to make a kit/InstantCake version for this unit. Never really thought there would be any demand for it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #94
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post

Probably time to make a kit/InstantCake version for this unit. Never really thought there would be any demand for it...
Yes, please do! I'll purchase it immediately.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #95
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
Hello! I just purchased a TiVo HD XL unit (TCD658000) without a hard drive, and I'm disappointed to discover that no InstantCake CD is available for that model. I'd be most appreciative if someone could supply the appropriate image. Thank you!
Still need this?

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #96
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post

Still need this?
Yes, desperately. The TiVo unit and replacement hard drive arrived today.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #97
mrhappysat

No help for mrhappysat?

Oh, well.

I'd probably pay $5 for the cake version but $20 is way too much. You can buy a replacement T60 on fleaBay for not much more than that.

peace
mrhappysat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #98
magnus
Tivo User

You should probably do that then.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #99
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Update: A forum member agreed to upload the TCD658000 image to me for the $20 that I would have paid for InstantCake. The box is up and running with 2TB of capacity.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #100
12gauge

I need an image for a TCD540040, the hard disk died. Any help would be appreciated.
12gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #101
mrhappysat

Thumbs down

Quote:
You should probably do that then.
That's exactly what I'll do. There is certainly no help for me here..
mrhappysat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #102
magnus
Tivo User

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappysat View Post
That's exactly what I'll do. There is certainly no help for me here..

Old 09-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #103
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Guess I wasted the day working on a 658 version...

oh well...

Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #104
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Quote:

oh well...
I'm sorry about that, but you didn't respond to the private message that I sent yesterday (in which I asked when it would be available). Had I known that its release was imminent, I'd have waited.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #105
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I'm sorry about that, but you didn't respond to the private message that I sent yesterday (in which I asked when it would be available). Had I known that its release was imminent, I'd have waited.
That is because I was working on it... but that's OK, you shouldn't be sorry. The guy who sold you the image should be, though...

Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #106
magnus
Tivo User

Wouldn't say wasted... I'm sure others will buy them... I might even grab one from ya.

Quote:

oh well...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #107
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Wouldn't say wasted... I'm sure others will buy them... I might even grab one from ya.
Thx. I made some minor changes to the scripts and have not done any release notes for it yet but it is on the site.

1) swap space is 128MB (can't fit anything bigger on a 1TB drive) - no real benefit for a larger swap anyway

2) tested with a 1.5TB seagate barracuda

3) dual drive option removed (not sure why i did that - might have to change it back - i'm just not a big fan of dual-drive configurations, i guess) -- just put it back...

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 09-19-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #108
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Quote:

1) swap space is 128MB (can't fit anything bigger on a 1TB drive) - no real benefit for a larger swap anyway
I encountered this issue when testing the backup image with a 1TB drive (before removing my WD20EVDS from its antistatic bag); when I attempted to set the swap file to sizes exceeding 128MB, WinMFS reported an insufficient number of sectors.

My understanding was that the optimal swap file size was ½ megabye per gigabyte of drive capacity (e.g. 256MB for a 500GB drive, 512MB for a 1TB drive, et cetera). So I allotted 1024MB (1GB) for my 2TB drive.

Is this no longer significant?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #109
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I encountered this issue when testing the backup image with a 1TB drive (before removing my WD20EVDS from its antistatic bag); when I attempted to set the swap file to sizes exceeding 128MB, WinMFS reported an insufficient number of sectors.

My understanding was that the optimal swap file size was ˝ megabye per gigabyte of drive capacity (e.g. 256MB for a 500GB drive, 512MB for a 1TB drive, et cetera). So I allotted 1024MB (1GB) for my 2TB drive.

Is this no longer significant?
Not sure where that data comes from but it has always been my position that it does not matter. In traditional computing environments, swap space is a function of system memory, not hard drive space. Over the years, some have argued that increasing swap space gives the TiVo OS more headroom to work within when completing functions like 'mfsassert' (ie when recovering from a green screen), but since situations like that are symptomatic of other problems (ie defective drives), there has never been value in increasing swap file size given the underlying problem.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #110
raffitaffy

Hi,
I need a Tivo image Toshiba RS TX60. I believe they are the same as the TX20s. I have seen FTP sites with many models, but not this. My current drive stutters, but is recognized by tivo. When I plug it into my sole IDE channel, it shows as a 163Gig drive, but according to winmfs, "not a tivo drive", so it can't be imaged. I tried master, slave and many jump pin settings. No Go.It also won't mount in MFSLive or MFStools. Weird huh? Then when I put it back in the tivo, it works! I am waiting for a IDE/USB docking station to arrive, but my expectations are low.
Please help we find an image. I know i can pay $20, but maybe someone can help me.
Thanks Kindly
-RaffiTaffy
raffitaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #111
squidwardd

My first Tivo now fails to load up. It is stuck on the Wait a moment screen. I hear the hard drive spin up, click, spin up, click, ... spin down, wait, spin up, click. and then silence. I'm assuming the hard drive crashed. I haven't removed the hard drive yet or put it in a PC. I would like to just replace the hard drive as it is obviously very old. It sounds like the biggest I can get is an EIDE 160 gb. But, how can I use some of the tools to get the new hard drive booted up. I need absolutely no data off the existing drive, just need to get the new hard drive to load. I will try to use the tools to get my existing disc image off, but I am guessing a clean image might be needed if the hard drive won't load up. Any advice on where to find an image and what tools to use? I was going to go off this guide hxxp://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step1.php
Philips Model No. PTV100
Philips MN HDR112
Thank you very much in advance for your help!
squidwardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #112
raffitaffy

hi all,
I am following another request for the Toshiba RS TX60 or TX20 in the hope that somebody decides to help. Please. Thank You
raffitaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #113
sweez

looking for an image for tcd240040. can anyone help?
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #114
DualInLA

Looking for an image for a Philips DSR6000R01. Can anyone help?
DualInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #115
doubleagent369

I am looking for an image for a philips dsr7000 the drive died a few years ago and haven't gotten around to replacing it
doubleagent369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #116
rbtravis

If you receive no replies to your requests, you can always get Instantcake for your machine from www.DVRupgrade.com. The software is cheap,works great, and can handle up to 750 Gb IDE drives (single or dual). I have used it for over seven years with no problems. For only $20.00 its a great buy!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #117
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtravis View Post
If you receive no replies to your requests, you can always get Instantcake for your machine from www.DVRupgrade.com. The software is cheap,works great, and can handle up to 750 Gb IDE drives (single or dual). I have used it for over seven years with no problems. For only $20.00 its a great buy!

You can't use IC on 1TB drives?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #118
rbtravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
You can't use IC on 1TB drives?
I have only used IDE drives and have no knowledge of SATA or ESATA drives. I only comment on what I have tried.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #119
chamelea

Yeah, from my recent reading over at Upgrade it seems you CAN use the terrabyte SATA drives in the Series 2 D-TiVos (mine is DSR7000, 6.2 release) with an IDE-to-SATA adapter card costing only $8.

My concern though . . . just how slow are these older machines at reading a long file list on these giant drives?

Nov '12 SWM Dish w/ THR22-100
Now retired: Oct '02 Elliptical dish
Sony SAT-60, Phillips 7000, HR10-250 w/PTVnet)
chamelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #120
bengalfreak

My DSR7000 reads my 750GB PATA file list just fine. No noticeable delay when going to the NPL.