TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #61
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosUser View Post
Called Tivo and some guy actually tried to help with this.

Recommended I change the recording quality (under settings).
What a jerk! I bet he told you that knowing full well it would have no effect just to get you off the phone. He probably hoped the issue would solve itself and you wouldn't call back
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #62
dougdingle
HD Tech

The problem continues with the version 11 software on the S3. I have two, they both still suck on shuttle.

And those who say the two faster FF speeds are fine are incorrect, I believe.

Seems to me that they are MUCH jerkier than before the x1 problem occurred.

And rewind at any speed is also a LOT jerkier now.

It's as if the all rewind speeds and the two faster FF speeds are skipping a LOT more frames than they used to, while the slowest FF speed is not skipping any.

The FF function is something along the lines of "play every third (or seventh, or eleventh) frame", and this is broken in ALL the S3 FF and RW speeds. In general the ballistics of the thing have changed, and not for the good.

And what's with the retarded way it drops out of shuttle and 30 second skip? Stutter..freeze...pause...play. It used to be smooth as silk, now it's like driving on gravel.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #63
boywaja
Splendid Isolation

I noticed the "first level of fast forward is essentially real time" problem over the weekend while watching football. I believe I was watching Virginia Tech football about an hour behind live. First time I'd seen the problem, but normally I'm using 30 second skip.
boywaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #64
blacknoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post

And those who say the two faster FF speeds are fine are incorrect, I believe.

Seems to me that they are MUCH jerkier than before the x1 problem occurred.

And rewind at any speed is also a LOT jerkier now.
You are correct... the remaining two FF speeds still work but JERKY as hell. You cannot gauge whats really happening onscreen, unlike before this problem cropped up.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #65
FiosUser

Called Tivo again this past Sunday night. It was Fox Sports West again for the Laker game.

I thought I would just call again while it wasn't working.

This time, a guy put me on hold to go talk to engineering. He came back after 10 minutes to say he had escalated it to their group and that there was someone working on it.

Don't know if this is real or not, but it is all I can do. It is happening again to me right now. Maybe I should call in each time? Or, maybe this is too low a priority. You make the call.
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #66
jbernardis

This still happens to me on NBCDT - both cable and OTA. I was hoping that the fall update would fix it but no dice.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #67
FiosUser

Last night's Laker game on FSW (Fox Sports West) worked perfectly.

This is the channel that previously had problems.

So, not sure what is going on now.

On the other hand, NBCHD has this problem all the time now (not just on sports shows--like I had previously thought).
Old 12-30-2008, 05:22 AM   #68
Jim Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosUser View Post
Last night's Laker game on FSW (Fox Sports West) worked perfectly.

This is the channel that previously had problems.

So, not sure what is going on now.

On the other hand, NBCHD has this problem all the time now (not just on sports shows--like I had previously thought).
It seems likely it's related to the MPEG encoding -- something about how I-frames are detected, perhaps. In Series 1 units, encoding was internal and therefore predictable. The Series 3 (I believe) is directly recording the incoming MPEG streams, which no doubt vary widely in their makeup, even from show to show.

DirecTivo recorded the same way, but all those streams were the same, from a single source. Maybe TiVo has been blindsided by the variability of encodings out there in the wild.

Not that this helps, since we can't solve the problem, only TiVo can...
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #69
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mack View Post
It seems likely it's related to the MPEG encoding -- something about how I-frames are detected, perhaps. In Series 1 units, encoding was internal and therefore predictable. The Series 3 (I believe) is directly recording the incoming MPEG streams, which no doubt vary widely in their makeup, even from show to show.

DirecTivo recorded the same way, but all those streams were the same, from a single source. Maybe TiVo has been blindsided by the variability of encodings out there in the wild.

Not that this helps, since we can't solve the problem, only TiVo can...
My 2 HD DirecTiVo units apparently have the same 1X FFWD issue with digital OTA channels. On many programs, selecting 1X FFWD simply freezes/pauses the picture and sound. Advancing to 2X and 3X works fine. I have not paid enough attention to determine if there is some pattern to this behavior.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #70
Rockaway Bruce

I'm having the same 1x ff issue. Mostly occurs with NBC HD. Using a Comcast M-card in a HD XL. On the phone right now with Tivo tech support. Will post an update if I get any information.
Rockaway Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #71
FiosUser

I'm really getting sick of this bug.

Again the Laker game tongiht is doing the same thing.

All I can do is repeat that I see it on NBC HD and Fox Sports West the most. It is already past 9 PM Pacific Time so I can't call Tivo--they're closed.

Please call Tivo about this if you have the problem. The more the merrier I guess.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #72
Rockaway Bruce

Tivo tech support turned out to be no help at all with this issue. Bottom line is that they said there's no known remedy, and it seems that they don't even have a bug tracking system. The person I spoke to didn't know whether Tivo is working on this issue.

It does seem that this issue primarily (only?) occurs on NBC HD and Comcast Sports Net (non-HD). I've had no problem using the 1x FF with CBS HD or ABC HD. The issue may also occur with CSN HD, ESPN HD, or ESPN2 HD, though I haven't tested these channels yet (I use the 1x FF primarily for sports viewing).
Rockaway Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #73
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I've seen this problem too, primarily when watching football on NBC-10 HD in Philly (Comcast).
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #74
FiosUser

I see the problem today watching a recording of Saturday Night Live from NBC HD. I also see the problem tonight during the Laker game on Fox Sports West.

So, it looks like a bunch of us have the NBC HD and some sports channel (based on where we live) in common.

I called Tivo tonight (just got off the phone). Explained I had called a few times before about this. This time the put me on hold and went to a supervisor. Came back and said they are aware that other people are calling about this, but there is nothing they can do. I could pay for an exchanged Tivo if I wanted, but that I shouldn't do that because after all--my problem is only a small problem that I shouldn't worry about.

In the big scheme of things, it is not as bad as the thing not completely working or being broken. BUT, it is a bug that affects my use of the product and it should be added to a bug tracker that is prioritized and fixed in engineering.

So, please. If you are experiencing this problem--call in and report it. Don't be like me and wait it out a couple of months before calling. Call right away.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #75
berkshires

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have experienced 1FF from 1X to 3X since I think my original S3, and all the THDs. I associate it (without strict evidence) with errors or other funkiness in the transmission stream. Also, I had more 1X with 1080i programming than 720p in the past, though today I would not say that, and that does not mean simply that my 1080i sources happend to be troubled but not my 720p.

For example, OTA this weekend with football, I would often see 1FF look like 2-2.5X when there were modest errors in the reception. If it was worse, I might see it at 1X.

That's my observation.
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #76
jtkohl

I saw 1x speed varying up to 3x speed with the Comcast digital SD feed of skiing on Versus. It would flip back and forth between the speeds during the span of a single skier's run.

No such problems with Verizon's SD feed of skiing.

So it's not just HD programming. I chalk it up to some peculiarities of the encoding of the channel that TiVo just doesn't handle right for fast forward.
jtkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #77
rickcatron@sbcgl

For what its worth, I'm also seeing the 1x problem on the NBC station on Comcast in San Francisco (Ch. 703). I agree that it appears to be an encoding issue with the video, as the problem seem to occur when there is lots of movement in the video, but returns to normal 1x speed when the video stream has little change occuring.
rickcatron@sbcgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #78
BMoreE

add me to the list - just noticed this for the first time today watching a recorded HD program. A minor annoyance compared to other earlier problems, so I'll just keep an eye out here for any new news!
BMoreE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #79
jweaver15

any update to this problem?

Does anyone know if tivo plans to address this fast forward problem?
jweaver15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #80
Poochie

Funny you bumped this - not sure if Tivo fixed something, or if NBC did, but I watched Sunday Night Football on NBC the other day and noticed that 1xFF seemed reasonable to me. This was KNTV HD via Comcast to my Tivo S3.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #81
rogmatic

I have had the same problem with fast forward. I only use the 1x FF for football games (during huddles), and it was definitely not working for me this weekend.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #82
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Funny you bumped this - not sure if Tivo fixed something, or if NBC did, but I watched Sunday Night Football on NBC the other day and noticed that 1xFF seemed reasonable to me. This was KNTV HD via Comcast to my Tivo S3.
It works for many people just fine.

Whether 1x FF works or not depends on the encoding parameters used by your affiliate. Some affiliates eliminate the information used by the TiVo for 1x FF to save bandwidth, while others do not. On my provider (FiOS), 1x FF works on every SD and HD channel except for WRC (NBC4 in DC).

If you are TiVo, do you modify 1x FF so it is much less smooth, but works on every channel? Or do you keep it as it is, so it is smooth for many people (or many channels) but doesn't work at all for others?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #83
FiosUser

My 1x FF on FIOS in Orange County still does not work on NBC HD.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #84
jweaver15

I also have FIOS in Philadelphia and almost every football game I watch (in HD) the 1X FF doesn't go any faster than real time including Big10, NBC, ESPN, and FOX. although it is annoying I just wonder if there is a verified reason why this takes place.
jweaver15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #85
Poochie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
It works for many people just fine.

Whether 1x FF works or not depends on the encoding parameters used by your affiliate. Some affiliates eliminate the information used by the TiVo for 1x FF to save bandwidth, while others do not. On my provider (FiOS), 1x FF works on every SD and HD channel except for WRC (NBC4 in DC).

If you are TiVo, do you modify 1x FF so it is much less smooth, but works on every channel? Or do you keep it as it is, so it is smooth for many people (or many channels) but doesn't work at all for others?
Understood - I was actually just trying to point out that it appeared to be working fine on KNTV (NBC), which in the past was the "problem channel" for me wrt 1xFF during last year's SNF games. I suppose I should have highlighted that fact, or linked my posts from Sept 2008, in my post.

Although now that I've heard others still having problems with their NBC affiliate, I'm beginning to wonder if I just imagined it was working fine for me - I'll check again during this week's Colts/Cardinals game, as well as a few other NBC shows, to see if at least KNTV no longer exhibits the slow 1xFF...
Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #86
rickcatron@sbcgl

KNTV is fixed for me as well. But a new problem started when the 1xFF was fixed. Now KNTV has an audio problem, a slight "pop" from time to time. This happens both with and without TiVo, so its a Comcast issue, not TiVo.
rickcatron@sbcgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #87
Puppy76

Yikes, this is all scary. Good thing I didn't hear about this before I bought my HD XL last February

Thankfully I've seen no issues at all with fast forwarding/rewind (all over the air ATSC, all work really, really well).
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #88
Poochie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcatron@sbcgl View Post
KNTV is fixed for me as well. But a new problem started when the 1xFF was fixed. Now KNTV has an audio problem, a slight "pop" from time to time. This happens both with and without TiVo, so its a Comcast issue, not TiVo.
Glad you mentioned the slight "pop" on occasion on KNTV - I thought I was hearing something but wasn't sure. I wonder if it's a Comcast issue or a KNTV issue in general - guess I'll meander over to the AVS section on SF Bay Comcast to see what the word is, since it's heading off the topic of this thread I'd say...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #89
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Whether 1x FF works or not depends on the encoding parameters used by your affiliate. Some affiliates eliminate the information used by the TiVo for 1x FF to save bandwidth, while others do not.
That's very interesting; first I've heard of it. Do you have a link where I can learn more about this? I'm puzzled how 1xFF wouldn't work, but 2xFF and 3xFF still would work.
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #90
redhotlava

I've had this problem ever since I got my Tivo HD XL several months ago. FF X1 doesn't seem to be much of a problem for me on most channels (shows), but crops up on about half my football games when I really need it. Problem yesterday was CBS... both NFL games FF X1 was non-functional. Fox was normal, NBC was normal. I think we should all call Tivo and report the problem. Maybe if enough of us innundate them with calls about the same thing, they'll be more apt to respond? Whadayathinkabouthat?

~ Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii
Tivo HD XL
redhotlava is offline   Reply With Quote