TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #601
Noumenon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHijduk
Just a note my success is from is using Vonage...but the commands down below slow down your internal modems speed on the DirecTV unit...the phone numbers are DirecTV/TiVo based so give them a shot as well.

If you check out the prior Post from Devlin85 he found this information out from Tivo Support

You may want to try this command and/or call Tivo (since the HD unit is TiVo based) directly to see if can be slowed down even further to 14.4kbps.

I ended up using a combination between posts from Devlin85 and Chilli_Dog and this is what my configuration looks like and works at:

Set Dial-In Number: (local #)
Set Dial Prefix: 2129203005
Set Call Waiting Prefix: ,#064,*99,
Set Tone/Pulse: Tone
Set 'Phone Avail.' Detection: Off
Set Dial Tone Detection: Off

Other known working numbers are 212-277-3895 and 212-271-7103.

In addition to the above I did install a DSL Filter on the line (mentioned early on in this thread as an option) since I had one laying around from my last house (cable now ). In addition I moved the quality setting all the way up to high. I am going to slowley move this down until I start getting failures and then leave at the lowest possible that works.

I used this setup with an HDVR2 as well and it got stuck at the "connecting" step while "Negotiating". It fails the same way with other setups.

Last edited by Noumenon : 03-24-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #602
XMan__007

My adapter feeds the whole house through it's POTS wiring system, which isn't the best cabling, and distance is an issue as the Tivo by my ATA device works much better then the other two for connecting successfully. The furthest on in the chain gives me more problems however I know have it working pretty well. I have actively 4 devices, 3 Tivo's and 1 5.8GHz two handset phones, on my REN 3 adapter and can easily drive a fifth phone, old princess line or more.

Here is what works for me....

Code:
Tivo with VoIP Service
======================

System Equipment:
-----------------
Comcast Broadband Service
Motorola Surfboard SB4200 Cable Modem
D-Link DIR-655 Gateway WiFi Router
Broadband Telephony Systems (BBTelSys)
PAP2T-NA (ATA adapter)

TIVO SETTINGS:
--------------          Series2           Series2           Series1
Manufacture             Hughes            Philips           Sony
IRD Model               HR10-250          DSR7000/17        SAT-T60
Software Version        6.3e-01-2-367     6.3e-01-2-101     3.5c-01-1-011

Dial-In Number          [(612) 630-5365]  [(612) 630-5365]  612-630-0770
Dial Prefix             [*99,]            [*99,#019,]       *99,
Call Waiting Prefix     [*70,]            [*70]             *70,
Tone/Pulse Dialing      [Tone]            [Tone]            Tone
Availability Detection  [Off]             [Off]             Off
Dial Tone Detection     [Off]             [Off]             Off

Code:
Command & Feature Descriptions:
------------------------------
*70,   Disable Call Waiting
*99,   Sets ATA adapter Bandwidth Saver to High
       * Use if you have one of these adapters:
         Linksys RT31P2
                 WRT54GP2
                 PAP2
       * These adapters automatically select Bandwidth Saver to High:
         Cisco   ATA-186
         Linksys RTP300
                 WRTP54G
         Uniden  UIP1869V
#019   Sets Tivo's modem to 19,200bps

Dial Tone Detection - Most VoIP providers supply VoiceMail in this case you must turn this feature OFF in order for Tivo to work.

Dial-In Number - You may want to select a major city for your phone numbers and you'll have to play with different numbers to find the one that works best. Even when you find a good number it probably won't work all the time but should still do the job. If you notice above my area code is not the same as the number I'm using to connect to Tivo service so the area is used to dial out.

Dial Prefix - Use this to setup your Tivo and ATA adapter prior to dialing out.

QoS - If your router has QoS make sure to set it up for your ATA adapter giving it preference for the proper ports with UDP protocol. This is also important for echo’s and choppy sound when using your phone.

Here is a good site for some general problems with VoIP;
http://www.voipfrustration.com/
XMan__007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #603
cyclonecj

DSR708 & Vonage WRTP54G

I have been having trouble with my Vonage connection using a Linksys WRTP54G and a DirecTivo Phillips DSR708. Finally got it working so I thought I'd post to help anyone else that's having the same issue.

Here's my Phone Settings:
Dial-In Number: 651-239-1400 (I'm in St. Paul, MN)
Dial Prefix: 7189875137
Call Waiting Prefix: *70,#064,*99,
Tone/Pulse: Tone
Availability: Off
Dial Tone: Off

I had previously been using a 212 number but it just stopped connecting. Anyways, hope this helps someone.
cyclonecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #604
Ebbhead

Tivo Series 1 with VOIP

I have a Series 1 Tivo and VOIP (mstar/Utopia). I have had VOIP for 2 years and did not even know there was a problem with Tivo/Voip until a few days ago when Tivo began telling me a daily call was required. Tivo had been making successful daily calls for close to two years on my VOIP service without any special tricks on my part. Now I need some help getting my Tivo to work again.

Here are my modem settings:
ACTIVE PROFILE:
B1 E1 L0 M1 N1 Q0 T V1 W0 X4 Y0 &C1 &D0 &G0 &J0 &K0 &Q5 &R1 &S0 &T5 &X0 &Y0
S00:000 S01:000 S02:043 S03:013 S04:010 S05:008 S06:002 S07:050 S08:002 S09:006 S10:014 S11:095 S12:050 S18:000 S25:005 S26:001 S36:007 S37:012 S38:020 S46:138 S48:007 S95:000

STORED PROFILE 0:
B1 E1 L0 M1 N1 Q0 T V1 W0 X4 Y0 &C1 &D0 &G0 &J0 &K0 &Q5 &R1 &S0 &T5 &X0
S00:000 S02:043 S06:002 S07:050 S08:002 S09:006 S10:014 S11:095 S12:050 S18:000 S36:007 S37:012 S40:104 S41:195 S46:138 S95:000

[STORED PROFILE 1 omitted. It's identical to STORED PROFILE 0]

I am able to dial and connect through the external modem, but negotiation always fails. I have tried dialing prefixes ,#396 ,#319 and ,#334 without success. I am using the serial cable that came with my Tivo to connect the Tivo to the modem.

I have a dsl filter and have tried various permutations of using that with the internal modem and the external modem.

When I call customer support for my VOIP service they don't know what I'm talking about when I ask about "packetization rate" so it appears I can't get them to change that for me.

I would appreciate a solution. Can anyone verify that my modem settings are right/wrong? Any other suggestions that are specific to Series 1 that may be beneficial?
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #605
jmbeam

DirectTV/vonage is dialing in mandatory??

What do I lose my not dialing in everyday? I have not dialed in for almost 3 years. Would dialing in give me a better picture etc? Do they perform the updates over the dish instead of by telephone? I have two HD Direct Tv Tivo's with Vonage. Is their a simple way to connect these by wire or wireless?

It stinks but I only receive about 7 channels that are in HD. I am told that I need the new boxes to receive Mpeg 4 and all the HD channels. However this leaves me without Tivo and requires me to sign up for two years. They are willing to provide the equipment for only the shipping fee. I forgot to ask if I own them or not. I am hesitant because I love Tivo plus Direct Tivo has screwed me a few times. The only reason I stayed was due to NFL football. However I will nener again sign up for it. They bleed you dry. For the first 3 years I received the games in HD. This year I had to pay an extra $100. No way. I also cant receive HD locals either. The only HD games I get are with ESPN and the NFL network. I paid for the oTA equipment but they never spent much time in attempting to get me coverage. Oh what to do.......
jmbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #606
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Dialing in is not required at all, after the first time. If you don't call in, you'll get a daily nag message after 30 days or so and won't get new versions installed. (The updates come over the sat but the command to install comes over the phone.)

If you get new equipment from DirecTV it will be a lease.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #607
EricStratton

I just got a used Sony SAT T-60 and I just thought I'd add what worked for me in case it'll help anyone out. I was able to make a call out simply using XMan__007's settings (except my dial-in number was different, of course):

Dial Prefix = *99,
Call Waiting Prefix = *70,

This was a whole lot easier than when I set it up for my Samsung SIR-S4120R.

ES
EricStratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #608
upperq

u can use HDVR2by doing all these things

This is more complex because the modem in the HDVR2 does not support the ,#019 prefix so you cannot slow it down below 56k. To make it work consistantly, you will need to use an external modem and a custom cable.

I picked up a 28.8 modem on e-bay for about $10.

To connect to the modem you will need to use the serial port on the back of the DirecTiVo - it looks like a headphone jack. You can use the "TiVo Serial Cable" and a DB9 to DB25 adapter for this, but I don't recommend it because this will require you to pre-program your modem using a computer in order to get it to work. I prefer to make a custom cable and use 2 cross connects to force the modem into the proper mode. The wiring chart is attached.

To make my cable, I cut and stipped the cord from an old pair of headphones and crimped on an RJ45 connector using the first 3 pins on the RJ45. Then I picked up an RJ45 to DB25 adapter and did my custom pinouts, including the cross-connects. I found this to be easier than trying to wire the stereo plug directly to the DB25.

Connect the serial port to the modem, and the modem to the phone jack. Then go into:

DirecTV Central > Messages & Setup > Recorder and Phone Setup > Phone Connection > Change Dialing Options

Set the Dial Prefix to ",#319" without the quotes. This tells the reciver to use the external modem.

Make a test call..... occasionall the call will fail for me, but it works about 9 times out of 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
upperq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #609
Yogibear

Hello I am new here, I own a Direct tv/Tivo, had it for a couple years now. My Tivo is:
Network-Hughes network systems
platform-series2
Modal-sd-dvr40
Software-6.4a

Bought Vonage in late July and hooked it up early August. Since then my Dvr hasn't connected to Tivo's service for updates. I think it can't get through the Vonage V-Portal. I don't know what to do?

I also found that I can buy a TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter so I can use my wireless internet instead the phone line.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do?WT.srch=1
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #610
ForrestB

Yogibear,

See Stevel's response above - DirecTivo's don't need to be connected to a phone except for activating software updates. Based on past experience - typically DirecTV goes several YEARS between software updates.
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #611
Dkerr24
Lost in Big Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
Hello I am new here, I own a Direct tv/Tivo, had it for a couple years now. My Tivo is:
Network-Hughes network systems
platform-series2
Modal-sd-dvr40
Software-6.4a

Bought Vonage in late July and hooked it up early August. Since then my Dvr hasn't connected to Tivo's service for updates. I think it can't get through the Vonage V-Portal. I don't know what to do?

I also found that I can buy a TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter so I can use my wireless internet instead the phone line.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do?WT.srch=1
Yogi... that Tivo Wireless G device only works with standalone Tivo units. Won't work with a Directv receiver with Tivo unit (Series 2).
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #612
Dkerr24
Lost in Big Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperq View Post
u can use HDVR2by doing all these things

This is more complex because the modem in the HDVR2 does not support the ,#019 prefix so you cannot slow it down below 56k. To make it work consistantly, you will need to use an external modem and a custom cable.

I picked up a 28.8 modem on e-bay for about $10.

To connect to the modem you will need to use the serial port on the back of the DirecTiVo - it looks like a headphone jack. You can use the "TiVo Serial Cable" and a DB9 to DB25 adapter for this, but I don't recommend it because this will require you to pre-program your modem using a computer in order to get it to work. I prefer to make a custom cable and use 2 cross connects to force the modem into the proper mode. The wiring chart is attached.

To make my cable, I cut and stipped the cord from an old pair of headphones and crimped on an RJ45 connector using the first 3 pins on the RJ45. Then I picked up an RJ45 to DB25 adapter and did my custom pinouts, including the cross-connects. I found this to be easier than trying to wire the stereo plug directly to the DB25.

Connect the serial port to the modem, and the modem to the phone jack. Then go into:

DirecTV Central > Messages & Setup > Recorder and Phone Setup > Phone Connection > Change Dialing Options

Set the Dial Prefix to ",#319" without the quotes. This tells the reciver to use the external modem.

Make a test call..... occasionall the call will fail for me, but it works about 9 times out of 10.

265 hour (Samsung 300gb) Samsung S4040R zippered, network enabled,
220 hour (WD 250gb) RCA DVR40 zippered, network enabled
Dkerr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #613
Yogibear

well before I got a email telling me about a reply I call direct tv and they told me get a dsl defuser to slow the connection down. But now I guess I don't need the phone line after all
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #614
Yogibear

Can I ask once again what does the phone line does beside ordering shows and movies.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #615
ForrestB

Quote:
Can I ask once again what does the phone line does beside ordering shows and movies.
Besides ordering shows and movies, the phone line is also used to activate new Tivo software versions that have been downloaded over the satellite. This happens every few years.

Movies and shows can also be ordered thru DirecTV's website (no phone line required).
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #616
Yogibear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestB View Post
Besides ordering shows and movies, the phone line is also used to activate new Tivo software versions that have been downloaded over the satellite. This happens every few years.

Movies and shows can also be ordered thru DirecTV's website (no phone line required).
Ok then let me ask you can this Tivo software be activated without the phone once downloaded.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #617
Dkerr24
Lost in Big Bend

Quote:
Ok then let me ask you can this Tivo software be activated without the phone once downloaded.
Nope. It needs the phone call to begin the installation.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #618
Yogibear

then that would be a problem with vonage the next time I get an update. Hope vonage can fix this problem before then.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #619
ForrestB

Quote:
then that would be a problem with vonage the next time I get an update. Hope vonage can fix this problem before then.
I'll quote myself "Based on past experience - typically DirecTV goes several YEARS between software updates".

Please check back in 2010 when this may be a real problem.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #620
jrs.reign

To affix to the modem you will charge to use the consecutive anchorage on the aback of the DirecTiVo - it looks like a headphone jack. You can use the "TiVo Consecutive Cable" and a DB9 to DB25 adapter for this, but I don't acclaim it because this will crave you to pre-program your modem application a computer in adjustment to get it to work. I adopt to accomplish a custom cable and use 2 cantankerous connects to force the modem into the able mode. The base blueprint is attached.

To accomplish my cable, I cut and stipped the bond from an old brace of headphones and coiled on an RJ45 adapter application the aboriginal 3 pins on the RJ45. Then I best up an RJ45 to DB25 adapter and did my custom pinouts, including the cross-connects. I begin this to be easier than aggravating to wire the stereo bung anon to the DB25.

Last edited by jrs.reign : 06-15-2009 at 02:33 AM.
jrs.reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #621
inkymycat

Directv R10 & Vonage

Hello

I have been doing massive research with not much luck. I currently have a AT&T lan Line as well as AT&T DSL. I am happy with the service but tired of AT&T and the long wait times when I do have problems. Seems line every 6 months or less they are going up. I hardly use my lan line to make calls. If I need to make calls I have a Magic Jack or my parents Vonage.

My plans are to get rid of my AT&T phone line and DSL Service. I will be going back to Comcast for a while. At least Comcast doesn't have long hold times where I'm at like AT&T does. OKay my parents Vonage is currently on my DSL Inernet (I get comcast 8meg connect next week). I would like to use my parents Vonage to make my daily calls for my Directv R10 Series 2 receiver.

Directv tells me that I need to have my phone line to download my programming updates. Tivo tells me that directv can send all my updates though my dish. Directv says they can't do this. I do not buy Pay PerView movies via Directv or have any sports channels I subscribe to. So is directv giving me a line of bull when they tell me I need to have a lan line hooked up to my tivo unit. My software on my tivo is 6.4a-0-2-521.

I have read the original post but seeing as this is 2009 is it any different now. I want to work with what I have and don't want to update my Directv tivo unit.

Thanks for all your help.
inkymycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #622
PHijduk

Without your phone you will get your program guide information via the satellite.

Without your phone line you will get notices that your receiver has not called in...no biggie!

Without your phone line you cannot order PayPerView via the remote...you will need to call in.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #623
inkymycat

Thanks!

I wonder why Directv cant tell you this. I dont care about PPV nor do I use it. I did find some information on Weakness.com about series 2 receivers not needing to be plugged into a phone line. I will find out tomorrow after noon if everything works.

Thanks again for the fast response.
inkymycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #624
goo_nadd

I have a HR10-250
I had to install a new internal HD.
How can I make my initial call to Direct TV via Vonage?

I can use the DVR feature until I make the initial call.

Thanks in advance
goo_nadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #625
rbtravis

Only if you wrote down the phone numbers before you changed the drive, alongwith the rest of the phone settings.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #626
pixelpusher220

This thread finally got my situation fixed.

Series 1 Philips DirecTivo DSR6000 (I think)
Vonage old adapter, no lcd just a led light for connection.

Everything was working just fine until around a month ago (August 2009). Then it stopped connecting.
Old settings were:
Local: 7039950509 (this still is a modem on the other end)
prefix: *99,#034,1

I've changed to:
local: 2122717103
prefix: ,#034,,12122773895

The catch was that in trying to test these settings, it was failing during the hangup process when 'preparing data'; rather frustrating since it obviously connected successfully and completed whatever the test call does. Since with the above settings were dialing, but my original dial in local number was still 703 area code I tried changing my dial in number to a 212 number. After doing that, then the test call went through without a hitch.

My first daily call after making above changes succeeded. wheee
pixelpusher220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #627
goo_nadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtravis View Post
Only if you wrote down the phone numbers before you changed the drive, alongwith the rest of the phone settings.
I have the old phone number but there's no way to enter it.
The setup only ask for the the area code. It trys to call in for the list of local numbers.

I wasn't getting consistent dial up before the change. The Vonage just doesn't work.

Can I take the Tivo to a friends house and make the initial call?

I'll have no dish connection. Just a working phone line with video out.
What a pain.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #628
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, you can take the TiVo to a friend's house. But pay closer attention to what pixelpusher posted. They used the "prefix" to enter the number to dial. Done this way, the number the TiVo thinks it is calling is ignored.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #629
rbtravis

You don't go into Setup, but to ->messages and settings>settings>change phone settings> dial-in number. Then insert your saved phone number.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #630
goo_nadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtravis View Post
You don't go into Setup, but to ->messages and settings>settings>change phone settings> dial-in number. Then insert your saved phone number.
Looks like the >change phone settings> are not avalible until the first test call is complete.

I tried all the prefix's with no luck.

I really appreciate the replys.