TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
hannaman

Brighthouse Indianapolis SDV roll-out - Sorry NO Tuning adapter for you -WTF!!!!

Well, just got a "Dear Valued Customer" letter the other day from my friends at brighthouse networks in Indianapolis regarding the exciting SDV technology roll-out.

Bottom line according to the letter; "..on or after October 12, 2009 Bright House will deliver the several new HD channels on teh SDV system and this programming will no longer be available on unidirectional retail devices (TivoHD Series 3) until further notice."

Soi of course I called and most of them are totally clueless and didn't even knwo what SDV is let aone how to help me. Getting very steamed at these clowns not only are they significantly lacking in HD content companred to their competition their rates are insane!

Not sure what to do at this point - is it possible I now have a $500 paperweight? Can i switch back to DirectTV with the TivoHD?

Please help????
hannaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Aren't they legally required to provide a TA, at least eventually?

I thought naptown was ComCast country. What side of town?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
hannaman

I'm in Carmel - Bright House has a lock on us in Carmel no Comcast for you!
hannaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
bicker
Gruff

I don't believe that there is any requirement to provide access to non-linear channels. Ostensibly, even though we personal would disagree vehemently with the idea, SDV channels are treated legally just like On Demand options.

My suspicion is that TWC went down the TA route, to preclude the FCC from mandating it, or imposing some other requirements that TWC would find less palatable. Bright House may be small enough that the FCC wouldn't take such actions.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I don't believe that there is any requirement to provide access to non-linear channels. Ostensibly, even though we personal would disagree vehemently with the idea, SDV channels are treated legally just like On Demand options.

My suspicion is that TWC went down the TA route, to preclude the FCC from mandating it, or imposing some other requirements that TWC would find less palatable. Bright House may be small enough that the FCC wouldn't take such actions.
Although not the most current, this is an interesting read supporting your statement: http://www.dwt.com/LearningCenter/Advisories?find=16730
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
bencjenkins

I'm in the same boat. I emailed BH earlier this year to find out when/if they were going to support the SDV adapter. Got some canned response that didn't even address my question and tried to upsell me on their cable packages. BH has my area locked up, and my Tivo boxes won't work with Satellite.

I've been a loyal Tivo customer for over five years. I tried the free DVR from BH, but it was PoS compared to Tivo's user interface and features. But something's gotta give. Either BH starts supporting the SDV adapter or I gotta ditch Tivo (and BH) and go to satellite. :-(
bencjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencjenkins View Post
.........I've been a loyal Tivo customer for over five years. I tried the free DVR from BH, but it was PoS compared to Tivo's user interface and features. But something's gotta give. Either BH starts supporting the SDV adapter or I gotta ditch Tivo (and BH) and go to satellite. :-(
Remember my motto:

Living well, err... switching providers, is the best revenge!

Keep your eye on the upcoming DirecTivo .

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
monkeydust

I just got off the phone with Brighthouse in Indy. After being transfered a couple of times, nobody seemed to know what a Tuning Adapter was or when they might be available. I just got the second letter today from them saying they are converting more channels to SDV. Guess I'm screwed.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
PPC1

It's not surprising that the CSRs don't know what a TA is. You will see posts from others from other cities where the TAs are available, and the CSRs don't know what they are. If BH has TAs in other cities, they most likely would have them here. Give it a little bit of time, and hopefully a few of the CSRs will learn what they are, and can help us.
PPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
monkeydust

I was transfered to Tech Support and they didn't know what they were either. I told them that other Brighthouse branches in other cities were supplying them and they laughed at me and said "where did you hear that?"

I tried to email them with a address on their site with all the information that I had on the TA's and the email was rejected saying the email address did not exist!

Very frustrating...
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
PPC1

Frustrating, to be sure. I can't wait to deal with it my self.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I was transfered to Tech Support and they didn't know what they were either. I told them that other Brighthouse branches in other cities were supplying them and they laughed at me and said "where did you hear that?"...
Not that it helps any now, but until recently Central Florida's (and maybe others?) Brighthouse site had an itemized pricing list for the various plans and hardware. I'm not sure if the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter was a part of that, but I do think it was. It would have been nice to send a link showing the item on a "brighthouse.com" site! Maybe you could conference the Indy Tech Support into a call with a CFL rep, asking about availability of the TA? 407.291.2500 is the local number.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
NickIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Maybe you could conference the Indy Tech Support into a call with a CFL rep, asking about availability of the TA? 407.291.2500 is the local number.
If you do this let me know how it goes. I switched from BH to Directv a couple years ago because they practically disabled my S3 from receiving all of their new HD channels. As much as I hate BH, I would gladly switch back if I could use my standalone Tivo. I know Directv has new TiVos coming out next year (hopefully) but I would much prefer using a standalone with cable. I've emailed BH several times asking about the adapter but haven't been able to reach anyone that has a clue what they are. I wish Carmel was Comcast country.
NickIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Sounds like yet another case of <insert cable co. here> preventing customers from being able to fully use their Tivo, forcing them to use cable co. equipment if they want certain features.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #15
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Sounds like yet another case of <insert cable co. here> ...
... running their business, and doing what they're permitted to by the regulations.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaman View Post
Well, just got a "Dear Valued Customer" letter the other day from my friends at brighthouse networks in Indianapolis regarding the exciting SDV technology roll-out.

Bottom line according to the letter; "..on or after October 12, 2009 Bright House will deliver the several new HD channels on teh SDV system and this programming will no longer be available on unidirectional retail devices (TivoHD Series 3) until further notice."

Soi of course I called and most of them are totally clueless and didn't even knwo what SDV is let aone how to help me. Getting very steamed at these clowns not only are they significantly lacking in HD content companred to their competition their rates are insane!

Not sure what to do at this point - is it possible I now have a $500 paperweight? Can i switch back to DirectTV with the TivoHD?

Please help????
At least they left the door open of a TA at some point.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
NickIN

http://twitpic.com/20bs0

Claims to be a Brighthouse tuning adapter... Maybe could be used as proof it exists since they claim it doesn't.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #18
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
... running their business, and doing what they're permitted to by the regulations.
Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

It is right because it shows proper and requisite respect for the best interests of the owners.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
alethanicole

I just called the office located in the Hendricks County and CSR told me that they do NOT have them & do not know when they will be getting them in.... I was really hoping to watch Top Chef finally in HD... oh well. Hopefully, we'll get them soon.
alethanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
mchief
Morey

Quote:

It is right because it shows proper and requisite respect for the best interests of the owners.
Give it rest. Where is that POT STIRRING icon?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
PPC1

Quote:

I don't care. I still want a tuning adapter.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #23
bicker
Gruff

And I wish you the best of luck in that.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
PPC1

Thanks. My guess is I will need more patience than luck-- for all of the reasons stated above.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #25
NickIN

If anyone is still looking here...I wrote the following to Brighthouse Indiana "I'm writing to find out if you are offering the tuning adapter that allows CableCARD devices (Tivo) to tune in to the switched digital video channels that most of your HD channels are on. The Brighthouse office in Central Florida is offering this device. Are you also offering it or are you going to in the future?"

The reply I got was this: "Thank you for emailing Bright House Networks. We apologize but at this time we do not have a date that the Adapters will be available, only that it is in the near future. To give our customers the best service possible we must make sure the equipment we provide is completely ready to be placed in your home. We have experienced some technical difficulties and are working to resolve them to make the update of your service go smoothly."

Significant because this is the first time they've even acted like this spaceship existed. If Directv doesn't have a TiVo box available by the time my contract is up in February then hopefully I'll be able to get an adapter from BH and switch.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
indychadp

I also live in Carmel, IN. Called Brighthouse just this morning to ask about Tuning Adapters. The first person I talked to had no clue and had to transfer me to a 2nd person. The 2nd person knew what I was talking about, but said that they have not heard of any plans to offer TAs yet. She said that if they were going to offer them, the sales reps had not been notified. She then went on to say that they were recommending that customers with Tivo devices switch to the Brighthouse cable boxes, and I said "Of course you would recommend that".
indychadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #27
NickIN

The end of their response email also suggested renting one of their boxes. Seems like the TA will for sure be available at some point. It's just going to be difficult to pry one out of their hands.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #28
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:

it sounds more like a piss poor local cable franchise to me. If that was my option there I would be building a good OTA antenna setup for my TiVo and telling them to get lost
Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #29
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
If that was my option there I would be building a good OTA antenna setup for my TiVo and telling them to get lost
Without a doubt the appropriate approach for someone feeling the way you indicate you would.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #30
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Without a doubt the appropriate approach for someone feeling the way you indicate you would.
I would complain to the whatever authority regulates them as well and express my reasons for ending my business with them as well.