Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #421
supie

Originally Posted by Fofer

Quote:
RE: One S3 TiVo, two TV's

I'm planning on having an HDTV in the living room, where the Series 3 HD Digital Media Recorder will be. I suspect I'll use HDMI out, at 1080i.

But I also hope to connect my TV in the adjoining bedroom to the same S3 TiVo, using pre-exisiting S-Video cable. (I'm not sure what the max length is for Component cable, but the S-Video is already there and looks fine with my existing DTiVo and EDTV.)

That said, will this box be capable of outputting signal simultaneously to both of these TV's? Or will I need to toggle something before watching content on each?
I have done this with HDMI to a 60" Plazma and Progressive to a 40" Sony at the same time. (of Course you have to watch the same program on both TV's)
supie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #422
nekoashi

Is there a FAQ around on how to troubleshoot issues with TiVo desktop not seeing the DVR?
nekoashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #423
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekoashi
Is there a FAQ around on how to troubleshoot issues with TiVo desktop not seeing the DVR?
Did you read the other sticky?

TivoHD & Series3 MRV/TTG/TTCB: FAQ + Discussion
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #424
TommyV

Have the video issues mentioned in this review of the TivoHD been resolved through software updates? I would be looking to use dual cable cards with Fios TV.
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #425
aidendavidovich

I have just activated my Series 3; it is connected to my local Time-Warner Cable which had provided satisfactory performance prior to this hook-up. Initially the setup goave me no problems and the unit received all the channels. One day following setup, while channels 2 thru 99 were received normally, channels 100 and above only have a gray screen with no image or instruction. I checked the cable reception for each of these channels and the reception is present and strong. Can you direct me to the forum or site where I can get some help?
aidendavidovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #426
bicker
Gruff

In the end, you're really going to need to work this out, one-on-one, with your cable company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #427
Boss77

Tivo Series3 vs. TivoHD - worth $100?

So I purchased the TivoHD for $299.99. My question is whether it is worth it to purchase the Tivo Series3 for $399 (assuming the $200 rebate effective until January 28). I read the Endgadet review. Anyone know if Series 3 is being discontinued? Can I purchase the better remote for the HD? Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited by Boss77 : 01-11-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Boss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #428
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss77 View Post
So I purchased the TivoHD for $299.99. My question is whether it is worth it to purchase the Tivo Series3 for $399 (assuming the $200 rebate effective until January 28). I read the Endgadet review. Anyone know if Series 3 is being discontinued? Can I purchase the better remote for the HD? Any thoughts appreciated
You can buy the Glo Remote separately for the TivoHD.

Speculation is the S3 is being discontinued, but nobody knows for sure. It is getting hard to find. Somebody posted a link today with an online store that had them in stock.

If you get an S3, you need 2 s-cards. Where a TivoHD can use just 1 m-card. This should be taken into consideration if you cable provider offers m-cards and charges a lot for two s-cards.

The S3 is nice, but if you already got the TivoHD I would just stick with what you got.

Last edited by greg_burns : 01-11-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added link
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #429
Boss77

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
You can buy the Glo Remote separately for the TivoHD.

Speculation is the S3 is being discontinued, but nobody knows for sure. It is getting hard to find. Somebody posted a link today with an online store that had them in stock.

If you get an S3, you need 2 s-cards. Where a TivoHD can use just 1 m-card. This should be taken into consideration if you cable provider offers m-cards and charges a lot for two s-cards.

The S3 is nice, but if you already got the TivoHD I would just stick with what you got.

Boss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #430
Ready4TiVo

I recently upgraded to the Series3 HD and had two cable cards installed when I switched from Comcast to Verizon FiOs - everything works great, especially since I had the FAQ from here and Tivo.com to simplify things with the installer. They are not trained well or at all on the cable cards and by default don't like or trust the TiVo units; they prefer to work with their own DVRs which are flat-out more expensive per month. You simply need to be pro-active and provide them the info. (Also beware that when you install two cable cards Verizon charges you monthly as if you are running two televisions.)

That aside, my question is - and please tell me if I should re-post in a new thread - I would like to burn DVD-R's from the Tivo unit to a Panasonic burner/VHS combo, model DMR-ES30V. I am not looking to burn HD content, just older films and the occasional SD documentary etc. Prior to my HD upgrade I did this easily but the initial set-up was convoluted. This time, after reviewing the two manuals, I purchased a 12-ft. S-Video cable with RCA audio plugs to send content directly from one unit to the other. It almost worked: the image, even the TiVo "home" screen, appears in grainy black & white, both through the TV and on the DVD-R after recording a minute of program. It looks like 1970. Yes, I've triple-checked the connections. No, I have not yet swapped in a regular triple-RCA plug cable. Am I missing something? Should I forget the S-video option?

Last edited by Ready4TiVo : 01-22-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Ready4TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #431
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4TiVo View Post
and please tell me if I should re-post in a new thread
Yes. But I'll answer anyway...

Quote:
I purchased a 12-ft. S-Video cable with RCA plugs for the audio to send content directly from one unit to the other. It almost worked: the image, even the TiVo "home" screen, appears in grainy black & white
It could be a bad cable. S-video splits the signal into "luma" and "chroma"; if only the "luma" is connected, you get a black-and-white image. It could also be a bad port on the Tivo or DVD-R. But I'd just try another s-video cable before resorting to composite. (Check for bent pins, also.)

It shouldn't be grainy, either, and that's not a luma/chroma issue.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #432
Ready4TiVo

OK thank you.
Ready4TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #433
LoREvanescence

quick question. How can you change the channel by typing to a digital channel with out the need to type in the channel above or below it and scan up or down?

The local stations I get are 4-1, 9-1 and 25-1. I'm finding my self having to always for say, type 25 in and get nickelodeon and scan up one to get Fox 25 Boston.

Edit: Nevermind, I have been wondering this for some time, but didn't see the (-) above the to the end key.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #434
jjp007

Help with set up

Ok so I have my brand new Tivo Hd and so far I love it! I am returning the cable company set top box asap. Now the only problem I am having is connecting my audio video equipment. I have an all in one DVR/VCR home theater system (toshiba) with speakers for better sound. Since the Tivo HD unit doesn't have "cable out" port I can't seem to connect it. Anyone have any ideas.

I am connecting a Samsung LCD HD TV to the Tivo HD (via HDMI) now I want to add the home theater system. I have a PS3 connected but that shouldn't effect this set up as it's just connected to it's own HDMI port.

Thanks for any help!
jjp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #435
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp007 View Post
I have an all in one DVR/VCR home theater system (toshiba) with speakers for better sound. Since the Tivo HD unit doesn't have "cable out" port I can't seem to connect it. Anyone have any ideas.
I connect my TiVo S3 to my home theater system using the digital optical audio output on the TiVo connected to the digital optical audio input on the home theater system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #436
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp007 View Post
I have an all in one DVR/VCR home theater system (toshiba) with speakers for better sound.
What is this? Sounds like everything plus the kitchen sink. This unit is a VCR and a DVR and a surround sound system with speakers but used cable-in for input? Sorry, I am just a little confused as to what we are trying to give you advice on.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #437
jjp007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I connect my TiVo S3 to my home theater system using the digital optical audio output on the TiVo connected to the digital optical audio input on the home theater system.
thanks I will go buy one and try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
What is this? Sounds like everything plus the kitchen sink. This unit is a VCR and a DVR and a surround sound system with speakers but used cable-in for input? Sorry, I am just a little confused as to what we are trying to give you advice on.
No sorry, it's a DVD (not R, my mistype) with a VCR home theater system. Very basic.
jjp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #438
ciper

Would this FAQ be an appropriate location to answer the common question "Why are there no Tivo sound effects when watching a show in HD"

"The 'current' version of the FAQ lives at TiVoLovers.com"
Couldn't you copy and paste then adjust formating as needed? Seems strange to have a sticky thread that will not be maintained which directs users away from the site.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #439
Coysher

S3 or HD?

Looking to purchase a TiVo for the first time, but not sure which box to get.....the S3 or HD. I can see the S3 has larger storage, THX and a better remote but is it worth $300 more?
Coysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #440
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coysher View Post
Looking to purchase a TiVo for the first time, but not sure which box to get.....the S3 or HD. I can see the S3 has larger storage, THX and a better remote but is it worth $300 more?
For a novice, probably not.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #441
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coysher View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Check out this thread for more details about TiVo HD's.

Check out this post for spec comparisons between the Series3 and the Tivo HD.

To get more recording space you can add an external drive via plug and play. Additional options for increasing recording capacity can be found on this thread.

We have a Series3 and a TiVo HD and both are very good. If I were to buy another it would probably be a TiVo HD based on price, the fact that they have stopped making the Series3 and that TiVo HD's appear to be better situated architecturally for the future IMHO.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #442
Lori S

Is there a problem using a TIVO HDXL with Comcast and just 1 card?
It seems that people here have 2 cards but Comcast only gave me one.
Lori S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #443
windracer
joined the 10k club

You can use one card as long as it's a multi-stream card (M-Card). If Comcast is using S-Cards (single-stream) in your area, you'll need two of them or your TiVo will switch into single-tuner mode.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #444
wizkidzulu

Can someone clarify some issues for me?
1) Can series 3 accept a m-card in tampa bay BHN area? I have 2 s-cards and want to switch to maximize usage.
2) I also am having channel availability issues, digital and hd channels. I have to reset DVR daily to view these channels. Today, I can not receive the 700's, usually this happens around 5 pm daily. I believe this to be SDV issue. I called BHN and asked if they were using SDV and the csr said no.
3) Is there a tuner adapter available in tampa bay BHN?
wizkidzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #445
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizkidzulu View Post
Can someone clarify some issues for me?
1) Can series 3 accept a m-card in tampa bay BHN area? I have 2 s-cards and want to switch to maximize usage.
Is it a Series3 (with the front OLED screen)? If so, no, it will only accept 2 S-Cards. If it's a TiVoHD, you can use an M-Card. I just had Brighthouse swap out the two S-Cards in my THD for an M-Card last weekend, but I'm stuck with the two S-Cards in my S3.

Quote:
2) I also am having channel availability issues, digital and hd channels. I have to reset DVR daily to view these channels. Today, I can not receive the 700's, usually this happens around 5 pm daily. I believe this to be SDV issue. I called BHN and asked if they were using SDV and the csr said no.
I'm actually having this problem today ... I've got a gray screen on a lot of the HD and digital channels, but not all. My THD has the same problem, but my S3 does not. I figured BHN was having some sort of issue today (I haven't called).

Quote:
3) Is there a tuner adapter available in tampa bay BHN?
Yes, they have them, although I haven't attempted to get one. They are apparently free for the first year. Careful, though, I had one rep (over e-mail) tell me the TA replaces the CableCARD, which I'm not sure is true.

|
Old 09-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #446
wizkidzulu

thanks windracer for quick reply.

yes--series 3, so s-cards it will be.

Are you familiar with daily issues with BHN channels?
wizkidzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #447
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't have "daily" problems, but occasionally I will have issues like today where I can't tune to ch 120, but have no problem with ch 121. Or I can't tune to a bunch of the 700s HD channels, but can tune to 707 (ESPN) without issue. It's weird.

|
Old 09-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #448
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Is it a Series3 (with the front OLED screen)? If so, no, it will only accept 2 S-Cards. If it's a TiVoHD, you can use an M-Card. I just had Brighthouse swap out the two S-Cards in my THD for an M-Card last weekend, but I'm stuck with the two S-Cards in my S3.
Just to clarify in case someone reads this thread in the future since S-Cards are getting harder to find. The S3 can also take 2 M-Cards and the M-Cards will behave as S-Cards.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #449
windracer
joined the 10k club

Thanks, I should have thought of that.

|
Old 09-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #450
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

whens the next software update gonna drop?

I'v about had it if the tivo won't operate as intended

sadly the month fee still has it be paid, for crappy service
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote