TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #31
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcheshire View Post
No one has answered my question due to the rants of the other guy.

Are free upgrades included in the purchase of the product? Or do I have to pay a fee when they come out with patches or upgrades???
Dan203 could give you a more authoritative answer on this although he may have blocked this thread by now (so you would have to start a new thread with this question for him to see it).

You get free updates (e.g. bug fixes and minor improvements). Upgrades depends on your definition. VRD Plus is $50. VRD TVSuite is $75 and it will author and burn DVD's. There was no free "upgrade" from Plus to TVS but that should not have been expected -- a major new capability was added. I think a special offer (i.e., less than the $25 price difference) was made to VRD Plus owners to upgrade to TVS when it first came out.

When the mpeg4-capable version comes out I would not expect a free upgrade to that either.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #32
richsadams

Quote:

Are free upgrades included in the purchase of the product? Or do I have to pay a fee when they come out with patches or upgrades???
IIRC I've received free upgrades for at least a year...possibly longer. Every now and then there's a "newer version" pop-up asking if I want it. I don't remember ever paying for a newer version now that I think of it. If it doesn't say anything on the VRD web site you might want to do a search on the VRD Forum and if you still can't get an answer post there or drop Dan a PM to be sure or ask on their forum.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #33
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
Instead of focusing on adding new features, you need to focus on fixing existing bugs. This should be top priority, instead of brushed under the carpet, worked on whenever you feel like it, trying to milk more money out of your subscribers.
I'm often frustrated by software bugs. I rant and rant about how TiVo should be fixing their bugs. However, all software has bugs. It's not possible to eliminate all bugs from a complex product. It's unreasonable to expect a company to only fix bugs to the exclusion of all other activity. Once a product is "good enough", it's also unreasonable to expect bug fixing to be the top priority. A company can't survive long term unless they also continue to develop new products.

In your case, it seems like the developers decided that your bug was rare enough that they wouldn't prioritize the fix. Too bad for you, but it's only a $50 or $75 product. I've seen bugs unfixed for years in $100,000 products. C'est la vie.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #34
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

You get free updates (e.g. bug fixes and minor improvements). Upgrades depends on your definition. VRD Plus is $50. VRD TVSuite is $75 and it will author and burn DVD's. There was no free "upgrade" from Plus to TVS but that should not have been expected -- a major new capability was added. I think a special offer (i.e., less than the $25 price difference) was made to VRD Plus owners to upgrade to TVS when it first came out.
I think you got it right. I even expect the new H.264 version will require a fee to upgrade to that.

ETA: And +1 to Phantom Gremlin's post.

ETA #2: I just remembered a while back, I edited a program that switched from HD to SD (weather alert crawl), and then back to HD and VRD didn't choke on that. Why not? Wouldn't that involve a "video dimension change"?

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #35
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
They haven't answered this question in their own forums as well, and it's been open for over 2 years. I'd expect, judging by that you won't get an answer to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
However, all software has bugs. /
Admittedly, yes, but, does all software have bugs that cause it to not function? That is the key point. No, not all software has bugs that cause it to not function, period. This software "bug" does.

Quote:
It's unreasonable to expect a company to only fix bugs to the exclusion of all other activity. Once a product is "good enough", it's also unreasonable to expect bug fixing to be the top priority.
Actually, yes it is reasonable to expect a company to fix bugs first, especially bugs that cause the product to stop working properly (or at all).

A product is never 'good enough' if it has bugs, of any kind. Sloppy, shoddy workmanship is not acceptable, ever, in any reality.

Quote:
In your case, it seems like the developers decided that your bug was rare enough that they wouldn't prioritize the fix. Too bad for you, but it's only a $50 or $75 product.
I don't care if it's "only" a $50 or $75 product, if they don't do their jobs, they don't get paid.

Can you go into work, work a half day, decide you've done enough, walk out and bill the company for a full day? Nope. Yet, that's what these guys have done. They were paid for a product, a functioning product, no? I've been patient, incredibly so . I originally purchased in January, on the assumption tha they were working on this "fix". I , then waited until July to get told the same old, same old lie (We're working on it, we're working on it, blah blah blah), and here it is September, television season is starting, and these individuals have put in 1/2 day's worth of work, but demand full pay.

I understand this doesn't affect everyone (yet). If it doesn't affect you yet, be grateful, because this is a huge, huge mess, and a huge waste of time and money any more.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
dlfl
Cranky old novice

twhiting9275,

I sympathize with your problem. If you have cooperated with VRD, e.g., by ftp'ing a video sample demonstrating your problem, and they have not solved it in a reasonable time, you should request a refund (but not just in a forum post).

Beyond that I can't see what you expect to accomplish by spreading rant posts on this forum and on the VRD forum. Have you received a response that makes you feel you are getting somewhere for all this effort? (You could have had the Womble suggestion without all this.)

and
Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #37
lew

Another happy customer. It would be easier not having to use QSF but it's really not the end of the world.

They offer a free trial. Don't buy the program if it doesn't meet your needs.

twhiting9275--It might help others if you tell us what cable system you're using, what model tivo and what channels. HD or SD? Broadcast, extended cable or premium cable? That might help others decide if they're in the same category as you (program doesn't work) or in the same category as the vast majority of us (program works great).

The question regarding free vs paid upgrades was answered the the forum via a link to the section of their website that explains their upgrade policy
http://www.videoredo.com/en/ProductUpgradePolicy.htm

You're probably frustrated but you come accross as being rude and mean spirited. The upgrade policy has been in their website for a long time. It's not a secret.

Last edited by lew : 09-10-2009 at 02:09 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #38
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

In an effort to determine what was causing the QSF problems, I completely wiped and reinstalled w7. Once done, the QSF issues went away, so, at least that's back. It's still an ugly solution, and an ugly workaround, though.

Right now, I'm not seeing this on standard cable. ABC/Fox/CBS/NBC/CW all work without a hitch. Even WGN works fine. When you get up there in channels though, the odds of this problem get higher and higher. FX is a 100% chance. Syfy, probably 50-75% chance. TNT/TBS? It's over 50%. A&E? Same thing.

Quote:
The question regarding free vs paid upgrades was answered the the forum via a link to the section of their website that explains their upgrade policy
Yeah, now look at the original question date, and the answer date. It took 2 years to get that simple (non) answer from them.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #39
lew

I don't understand your first paragraph. Are you saying you reinstalled windows 7 and QSF now works? Windows 7 is still beta, I certainly hope I'm misinterpreting your post. It sounds like the problem was with your computer.

The upgrade policy is easy to find in their website. I assume the person who first posted the question found the answer, or was given the answer via an email.

Quote:
In an effort to determine what was causing the QSF problems, I completely wiped and reinstalled w7. Once done, the QSF issues went away, so, at least that's back. It's still an ugly solution, and an ugly workaround, though.

Right now, I'm not seeing this on standard cable. ABC/Fox/CBS/NBC/CW all work without a hitch. Even WGN works fine. When you get up there in channels though, the odds of this problem get higher and higher. FX is a 100% chance. Syfy, probably 50-75% chance. TNT/TBS? It's over 50%. A&E? Same thing.

Yeah, now look at the original question date, and the answer date. It took 2 years to get that simple (non) answer from them.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #40
Pawthorne

I came here looking for...

I came here looking for help with the exact same question as the original poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
I need software that will change tivo files to mpeg files.
I'm looking for software that changes .tivo files into mpeg because I want to then burn [using Nero] some DVD's of my kids' favorite shows from our TIVO to take with us on a road trip.

. . .NOT to read flaming rant after rant by twhiting9275. The OP didn't ask what your personal beef with a certain software was, he wanted some recommendations on software to use. And so far, you haven't even recommended a single one. Please stfu and let the rest of us get back to the topic of this thread.

So far I've seen VideoReDo, Kmttg, and Tivodecode mentioned in this thread. Have I missed any? I have also read about DirectShow Dump and TVHarmony Autopilot from various google searches but not sure if those are outdated programs. Are there any others?

Thanks
Pawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #41
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
he (or she) wanted some recommendations on software to use
And I am well within my rights to inform individuals of the flaming PROBLEMS with that software, and their support.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #42
Pawthorne

Quote:
And I am well within my rights to inform individuals of the flaming PROBLEMS with that software, and their support.

Yup.. you've done that.. over and over.. and over..

and over..

and over..

Oh.. and did I mention and OVER. I think we ALL know how you feel. Now go get your blankie and a bottle and watch Teletubbies as you have nothing more to add.
Pawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #43
lew

Get the VRD TV Suite. It'll also author/burn the DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawthorne View Post
I came here looking for help with the exact same question as the original poster

I'm looking for software that changes .tivo files into mpeg because I want to then burn [using Nero] some DVD's of my kids' favorite shows from our TIVO to take with us on a road trip.

. . .NOT to read flaming rant after rant by twhiting9275. The OP didn't ask what your personal beef with a certain software was, he wanted some recommendations on software to use. And so far, you haven't even recommended a single one. Please stfu and let the rest of us get back to the topic of this thread.

So far I've seen VideoReDo, Kmttg, and Tivodecode mentioned in this thread. Have I missed any? I have also read about DirectShow Dump and TVHarmony Autopilot from various google searches but not sure if those are outdated programs. Are there any others?

Thanks

Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #44
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I don't understand your first paragraph. Are you saying you reinstalled windows 7 and QSF now works? Windows 7 is still beta, I certainly hope I'm misinterpreting your post. It sounds like the problem was with your computer.........l.
Since the OP doesn't seem to be answering, I think what happened is that he can now run QSF with a dimension filter set and get an output file that will transfer back and play on his TiVo (??). I don't think he's saying the problem with VRD QSF crashing if you don't have a filter set is fixed. (??)

and
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #45
lew

Quote:
Quote:
Not when the problem was solved with a re-install of your OS. The problem was caused by you. You're within your rights to be rude. You're not within your rights to engage in slander.

Quote:
Since the OP doesn't seem to be answering, I think what happened is that he can now run QSF with a dimension filter set and get an output file that will transfer back and play on his TiVo (??). I don't think he's saying the problem with VRD QSF crashing if you don't have a filter set is fixed. (??)

There is a big difference between saying QSF produces output that can't be transferred back to tivo and saying having to use QSF is an extra step. A PITA. The first point reflects on the actual usability of the product. The second is nothing more then a comment on ease of use/ interface.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #46
perilousp69

Not necessarily trying to add fuel to the fire, but the problem TW refers to is growing. It's now an issue in Desktop 2.7, causing freezes wherever the offending commercial is inserted by the cable company (in my case, FIOS).

As more and more channels move to digital the problem with changing streams will get bigger and bigger. I started having it this month. Tried and tried with VRD and kept having the dimensions error. Thankfully, I tried before I bought.

Still, I'm essentially stuck. My favorite shows (Stewart/Colbert) will not convert properly (freezes, audio sync problems). And no, I'm not recording the HD channel. But it is digital tier.

This seems like something that's been coming for a while, and like some companies have been caught with their pants down.
perilousp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #47
moyekj

As stated before, Womble Mpeg Wizard does not have a problem with such streams, so there is a solution to the problem. Personally I have both VRD and Womble and each have their advantages, but Womble is the better/faster manual editor while VRD strengths are QuickStream Fix & Batch processing capabilities.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #48
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
As stated before, Womble Mpeg Wizard does not have a problem with such streams, so there is a solution to the problem. Personally I have both VRD and Womble and each have their advantages, but Womble is the better/faster manual editor while VRD strengths are QuickStream Fix & Batch processing capabilities.
Other VRD strengths:

--- Built in conversion from TiVo to mpeg2 format.

-- Built in ad detection.

I believe you need separate programs for both these functions when using Womble, correct ?

and
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #49
lew

I have FiOS. Every problem show was solved by running Quick Stream Fix first. It's an extra step, it takes extra time, but it works. Did your trial expire? Send them a message on their site and ask for an extra week. Try QSF with one of your problem shows. Go to the tools pull down. Select Quick Stream Fix and check the box that "eables filters".

VRD wasn't caught "with their pants down". It would be nice if VRD automatically ran QF as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilousp69 View Post
Not necessarily trying to add fuel to the fire, but the problem TW refers to is growing. It's now an issue in Desktop 2.7, causing freezes wherever the offending commercial is inserted by the cable company (in my case, FIOS).

As more and more channels move to digital the problem with changing streams will get bigger and bigger. I started having it this month. Tried and tried with VRD and kept having the dimensions error. Thankfully, I tried before I bought.

Still, I'm essentially stuck. My favorite shows (Stewart/Colbert) will not convert properly (freezes, audio sync problems). And no, I'm not recording the HD channel. But it is digital tier.

This seems like something that's been coming for a while, and like some companies have been caught with their pants down.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #50
Pixel

Quote:

Of course you are. Absolutely.

But doing as much of it as you are will inevitably result in being ignored. The perception people will have of your postings is that all you ever post is negative, that your concerns, while perhaps valid, add nothing to the discussion. You make yourself irrelevant.

I live near an airport. All the neighbors I know withing a mile or so of it, except 1, deal with it. Most people that can take the mitigation solutions offered (new windows, A/C, etc.) But not that one person. They make hundreds of complaints annually about the airport. I think that person means to have the airport closed down. Anyway, when community meetings are held with respect to neighborhood concerns, that person always attempts to hijack the meeting to focus on the airport to the exclusion of anything else. So nowadays, the person is completely ignored and shown the door when comments and questions from the audience are solicited by the speakers. They have become a laughingstock and completely shunned.

The same thing can happen to you.

BTW, I used VRD for editing commercials from OTA recordings made with my TIVO HD of local HD channels. For the past year or so, everythings been working great.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #51
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'm the author of TVAP (link in signature) which is a C# .NET program that automates VRD processing using the VRD COM interface and VB scripts. The COM interface for QSF (at least for TVSuite -- not sure about VRD Plus) has a function to set the dimension filter to be used during the QSF.

Thus with rather simple editing of the QSF.vbs script that TVAP uses, you can trap videos by title-string comparisons and apply the (pre-determined) filter dimensions for your favorite shows. At least one TVAP user has been doing this and here is a link to a post on the VRD forums giving more detail.

TVAP could be modified to read a table of title-match-strings and dimensions from a text file and apply filters accordingly (if there was user interest).

I wonder about the possibility of integrating this into kmttg ?

One caveat: Although I've had a THD for several months, I have yet to encounter a TTG file that has multiple dimensions. I can only TTG the network local channels (thanks Time Warner ). Can someone tell me a network program that usually has the dimension changes?

and
Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #52
lew

Quote:
One caveat: Although I've had a THD for several months, I have yet to encounter a TTG file that has multiple dimensions. I can only TTG the network local channels (thanks Time Warner ). Can someone tell me a network program that usually has the dimension changes?
Usually happens with shows on cable networks (USA, ScFI, TNT..) and regional sports. I don't remember seeing the issue with primetime broadcast shows.

TW found one solution to the issue.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #53
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Other VRD strengths:

--- Built in conversion from TiVo to mpeg2 format.

-- Built in ad detection.

I believe you need separate programs for both these functions when using Womble, correct ?
True. After playing with Womble a bit, my impression is that editing out commercials is easier and more intuitive in VRD. Womble advertises "Automatic Ad detection and removal" on their web site, but I don't see anything automatic about it. The manual suggests a manual process for finding and cutting commercials. They do have a tool that automatically scans for blanks and puts bookmarks, but then you have to manually assemble the scenes that you want in the timeline. VRD's approach to just finding and marking commercials on the timeline is easier.

To be fair, Womble also seems to have some editing features that VRD lacks, so I can understand moyekj's comment about owning both.

Edit:
After playing with Womble more, I agree with what others have said below: manual editing in Womble is pretty fast and easy using the input window and the trim/cut functions. There is no need to deal with the timeline, bookmarks, or breaking the recording into multiple clips. Since manual editing can be done quickly, I don't think the lack of automatic ad detection is a big deal.

Last edited by spocko : 10-01-2009 at 12:47 PM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #54
moyekj

Try Womble with an HD title. "Scrubbing" which is the process of quickly moving through the video to identify cut points is MUCH faster using Womble. With VRD there is quite a big lag when trying to quickly scrub through a video. It takes me about 2-3 minutes per hour of video to edit manually using Womble and about double that time using VRD, plus the frustration of not being able to quickly pinpoint cut points. Personally I don't use automatic Ad detection since I can identify the cut points faster and more accurately than any automated method. Starting from automatically identified commercials and correcting the mistakes usually takes longer than just doing it from scratch for me so I don't bother with that. With Womble you have to learn to use the timeline method of cutting out commercials. There are different ways of cutting out commercials and I think even the ones shown in the demos are not the way I do it (the demos use the input and output windows - I don't use the output window at all). Drag the title down to the timeline and do cuts there directly using the "scissors" icon and learn some of the keyboard shortcuts and you will begin to realize the power and speed of Womble. I can see for someone who started out with VRD before Womble the initial impression is that Womble is much harder to use.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-18-2009 at 04:46 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #55
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I recently downloaded and installed womble due to the free giveaway recently.
I agree that if you use the ''scrub'' method of editing, it is faster.
But because VRD was slow using the ''scrub'' method, especially when using thumnails, I just use the navigation buttons. Over time, I've learned the patterns used by various stations as to their commercial breaks.
In fact, I prefer to manually edit out commercials rather than have ad detective do it.
Why? Ad detective isn't perfect. I have to manually go through the entire video anyway to make sure ad detective made the right ''choices'' for cuts, I save time avoiding that.
But I feel that I can still edit a show faster with VRD than I can with womble. Even the HD stuff. I guess that's because I'm used to VRD.
As was said elsewhere, there is a steeper learning curve with womble than there is with VRD, however, from casual observation, there seems to be a lot more versatility. The ability to edit in your own subtitles, add in a voice over track and/or a separate music track.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
If a customer complains, within the warranty period, that this problem makes the product worthless to them will VRD give a complete refund?
Too be honest I don't know. I'm just a developer who tries to help out with support when I can. All the business stuff is handled by someone else.

However we do offer a 15 day free trial, which should be more then enough time for someone to try the software and figure out if it's useless to them or not. It sounds to me like twhiting9275 bought the software a while back when he only had a S2 and it worked fine. He then upgraded to an S3 and started to have this issue. So in either case I think he was long past any sort of "warranty period" their might be by the time he ran into the issue.

But again I'm just a developer. If he wants to try to get a refund he'll have to send an e-mail to our support team so they can make that decision.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #57
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:

There are no fees for patches or minor upgrades. However we do usually charge an upgrade fee for new versions with added functionality. For example we do charge an upgrade fee to go from Plus to TVSuite because there are major feature difference between the two versions.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #58
sm482

Video Dimension Change

to dlfl: Two channels I consistently have the dimension change problem with are Comedy Central and USA.

Nothing I've tried seems to work, and I have TVAP - it does the QSF, but it doesn't help me in processing the program through VRD TV Suite. It still hangs up. I'm very frusrated. I'm trying to make videos for my son, who is on deployment. I've even changed computers (from a Sindows Vista to my Windows XP) and then downloaded the TVAP to try to solve the problem when it reared it's ugly head two days later.

Suggestions?
sm482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #59
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
The problem was caused by you.
Wrong, the problem is caused by the company itself. This is not slander, it is factual. The company has refused to update their product in a timely fashion to address this issue that has been growing on a constant basis. It's been known about for years.

Just because the problem was partially resolved when I reformatted doesn't take away from the fact that the problem still exists. VRD has known about this for years and refused to step up and fix their product accordingly. This is nothing but laziness, pure laziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm482 View Post
to dlfl: Two channels I consistently have the dimension change problem with are Comedy Central and USA.
The higher up channels are going to do this. I don't have problem one with standard (basic) channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, CW, etc), but when you get into the "family cable" area, then the problems start occurring, almost on a 100% basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm482 View Post
Nothing I've tried seems to work, and I have TVAP - it does the QSF, but it doesn't help me in processing the program through VRD TV Suite.
If you run the video through VRD -> QSF and check 'enable filters', this should resolve it so that VRD can process the video. I would strongly suggest staying away from all other products if you're going to use VRD, because that's what ended up causing my own problems. By itself, VRD is fine (aside from the dimensions changed garbage), but it doesn't play well with others.

Last edited by twhiting9275 : 10-07-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #60
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Seriously do you have any idea how much time and effort it takes to make a product like VideoReDo? If it were easy there'd be a dozen other products just like it on the market. But there arn't because it's not easy. We do it because we're passionate about the product and what it does.
Dan
I think most folks would underestimate by a couple of orders of magnitude. Keep up the great work. I use your product every day and am patiently waiting for H.264 support.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote