TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
caddyroger

Software to change tivo files to mpeg.

I need software that will change tivo files to mpeg files.

Last edited by caddyroger : 09-09-2009 at 02:08 PM.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
spocko
TiVo HD

See here:
http://tivodecode.sourceforge.net/

If you want a tool that helps automate things for you, I suggest you check out kmttg:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

It's not free, but VideoReDo is worth the price of admission for converting .TiVo to plain MPEG-2, editing out commercials, and even creating DVDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
richsadams

Triple the VideoReDo TVSuite recommendations...there is no better application for converting, editing and saving TiVo recordings, period. (And I've tried them all!) You can download a trial version for free, but fair warning, you'll be hooked. (Unfortunately it's Windows only right now, but the good folks there say they are working on a Mac version...right guys? )
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
bkdtv

Kmttg will download and decode recordings into MPG in one step.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
seplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Triple the VideoReDo TVSuite recommendations...there is no better application for converting, editing and saving TiVo recordings, period. (And I've tried them all!) You can download a trial version for free, but fair warning, you'll be hooked. (Unfortunately it's Windows only right now, but the good folks there say they are working on a Mac version...right guys? )

I have tried editing commercials out of MPEG files using AVIDEMUX, and have had pretty good results, but some files, especially ones recorded on USAhd, have had problems with the audio being out of sync with the video after the commercials are edited out. I have tried correcting by delaying the audio using this feature in AVIDEMUX, but the audio seems to get more out of sync further into the recording, and becomes impossible to correct.

Does VideoReDo TVSuite do a better job of keeping the audio in sync with the video? If so, I might just try it.
seplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Does VideoReDo TVSuite do a better job of keeping the audio in sync with the video? If so, I might just try it.
It does a great job. In fact, VRD even has a ''Quickstream Fix'' tool that takes care of minor encoding glitches.

I say go ahead and try it. Only you can determine if it is the right software for your needs.
You can use it for free for 15 days (trial basis), just be sure to request a trial key for full functionality.
I suspect once you try VRD, you won't want to use anything else.

BTW, if you already have software to burn DVD's, just get VideoReDo Plus. The plus version does (almost) everything TV Suite does, except burn DVDs, and costs less.
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-06-2009 at 09:02 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Unless there's a problem with the actual source video I've never experienced a sync issue with VideoReDo TVSuite. It even has a "clean up" feature that can rectify some source code issues.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It does a great job. In fact, VRD even has a ''Quickstream Fix'' tool that takes care of minor encoding glitches.
With a series 2, you might be fine with VRD, but if you have anything better, you'lre going to get way too many "Video Dimensions Changed" problems, and their hack (QSF fix) doesn't work with the series 3 devices any more. Dunno about s2, didn't try it.

Just stay FAR away from VRD, they're a hack, if nothing else.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
With a series 2, you might be fine with VRD, but if you have anything better, you'lre going to get way too many "Video Dimensions Changed" problems, and their hack (QSF fix) doesn't work with the series 3 devices any more. Dunno about s2, didn't try it.

Just stay FAR away from VRD, they're a hack, if nothing else.
VideoReDo TVSuite works perfectly fine with our Series3 and TiVo HD videos. SD, HD, everything is good.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Well, then you're lucky. Not even a "Video Dimensions Changed" error?
This has been reported by countless people, especially with HD dvrs over various markets. Most likely this is a market based thing, but that still doesn't excuse them for not fixing the bug in over a year.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #12
richsadams

Quote:
Well, then you're lucky. Not even a "Video Dimensions Changed" error?
This has been reported by countless people, especially with HD dvrs over various markets. Most likely this is a market based thing, but that still doesn't excuse them for not fixing the bug in over a year.
No errors so far. I just cut out the commercials and burn shows to a DVD and they're good to go.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Actually this problem effects a very small percentage of our customers. In fact I believe that twhiting9275 is the first US customer to ever report running into it. (previously this only effected a couple of DSS providers in Europe) twhiting9275 is also the only person to ever complain that our workaround, QSF, "corrupted" his files. So suggesting that this is some sort of wide spread problem that is going to effect everyone who uses VRD is nothing more then FUD.

That being said we are aware that the problem is becoming more prevalent and we are currently working on a fix. However this limitation is pretty deeply embedded in the core of the product and it is going to take some time to get it worked out.

For anyone worried that you will be effected by this problem I encourage you to take full advantage of our free 15 day trial before purchasing. That way you can be sure that you are not effected by the problem. Or if you are you can decide for yourself if our workaround is too inconvenient for you.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
richsadams

I'll bet when there's a Mac version it'll be absolutely perfect! Can't wait Dan!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #15
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
No errors so far. I just cut out the commercials and burn shows to a DVD and they're good to go.
You are incredibly lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
suggesting that this is some sort of wide spread problem that is going to effect everyone who uses VRD is nothing more then FUD.
Based on the number of reports in your forum, I'm not the "first person" to see this issue, though I would expect nothing less than a brushoff from your company that can't even manage to resolve an issue in a timely fashion

Quote:
That being said we are aware that the problem is becoming more prevalent and we are currently working on a fix. However this limitation is pretty deeply embedded in the core of the product and it is going to take some time to get it worked out.
Yadda yadda yadda. Typical speak for "we'll get to it when we feel like it". You've known about the issue for 5 years, at one time it was supposedly fixed, but you've pretty much ignored it (and your product) for over a year. Small shop or not, not excusable.

I can't explain the QSF problems, all I know is exactly what Tivo tells me, which is pretty much nothing. The show starts transferring, then just immediately afterwards stops. The full show transfers just fine, but the QSF created show does not. Go fig.

Support from these guys is attrocious to say the least. I understand you have a company to run, but ignoring your clients complaints for a year or better is just wrong. Your last (stable) release was over a year ago, and even your betas have shown no progress on this problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
windracer
joined the 10k club

I've never had any issues with VRD and files from my THD/S3 boxes either.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Kmttg will download and decode recordings into MPG in one step.
Although I use kmttg for downloading, I no longer use it for decoding. It gives me poor video quality - I can see the horizontal scan lines. I use VRD and have not had an issue with it.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
ajayabb

Twhiting9275, Maybe the rest of this thread could be taken up through PM's with Dan rather than blasting a product which is clearly well liked and supported on this forum

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #19
noseph

I have processed ~600 DVDs that I own thru VRD and have not had any problems with the resultant files on my S3.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Although I use kmttg for downloading, I no longer use it for decoding. It gives me poor video quality - I can see the horizontal scan lines. I use VRD and have not had an issue with it.
FYI, decrypting the TiVo file to unencrypted mpeg file does absolutely nothing to affect quality of the video. If you see a difference in playback on your PC it's only because your PC is using different codecs for each. What you are talking about is likely interlacing and several players including the free VideoLAN VLC have tons of different de-interlace filters upon playback that will get rid of those "scan lines".
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
jbcheshire

Does VRD offer free upgrades? How do they handle software updates to the version you have purchased?
jbcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
moyekj

Dan, FYI I do occasionally run into the "Video Dimensions Changed" bug when using VideoRedo for editing videos originating from my S3 Tivos. Admittedly I haven't reported the problem since I just use Womble instead for editing those files and it has worked every time thus far. If you need another testcase I can probably get one to you.

Unlike twhiting9275 however I still very much appreciate the VideoRedo and especially the Quick Stream Fix utility above anything else.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseph View Post
I have processed ~600 DVDs that I own thru VRD and have not had any problems with the resultant files on my S3.
The "video dimensions changed" issue doesn't affect content that comes from DVD, since DVD material has a constant resolution. Where you will see the problem is in HD content that is recorded by a Tivo S3/HD. Sometimes commercials, EAS warnings, etc. are inserted into the stream at at a different resolution than the main program, for example they may be SD while the main program is HD. This change of resolution is what trips up VRD. If I recall correctly, the QSF filter workaround simply allows you to choose the resolution of the material that you want to keep, and filters out everything else. In my (limited) experience, the workaround is effective.

Sorry for continuing this somewhat off topic discussion, I just wanted to clarify the issue that has been brought up.

Last edited by spocko : 09-09-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Twhiting9275, Maybe the rest of this thread could be taken up through PM's with Dan rather than blasting a product which is clearly well liked and supported on this forum
Been there, done that. Emails ignored, PM's ignored. If it was possible to get support for this product 'privately', I wouldn't have to criticize it so harshly publicly.

I started out thinking the same thing as everyone else, that VRD was great, sans for a few issues. Then, I got a real Tivo and saw more and more of these issues. It's to the point now where I just can't do a damn thing with VRD, and the devs are absolutely no help, what with taking years to fix their product.

I understand this doesn't affect everyone, and for many, the QSF fix is the answer, but that doesn't exclude the fact that

A> The QSF fix takes more time, adding 2 processing rounds into what is supposed to be a quick fix.
B> The QSF fix does NOT always work.
C> This shouldn't be here 1-2 years from initial report (going on just current reports), but it is. There is no excuse for this pathetically slow development.

While this seems to be a provider issue, that, again, doesn't justify ignoring the problem for 1-2 years just because you don't feel like addressing it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yyou've pretty much ignored it (and your product) for over a year.
Actually we haven't ignored our product for over a year. For the last year and a half we've been hard at work on a new version of VideoReDo that supports editing of H.264 video (no small feat) and an all new transcoding engine that allows output to portable media players like iPods, PSPs, etc... We're in the final stages of testing on that right now. We've also released 15 new beta versions of TVSuite in that time frame. While none of them fixed the problem you're ranting about, all of them have fixed outstanding bugs elsewhere in the product.

Seriously do you have any idea how much time and effort it takes to make a product like VideoReDo? If it were easy there'd be a dozen other products just like it on the market. But there arn't because it's not easy. We do it because we're passionate about the product and what it does.

I'm sorry that this problem effects you so much. But honestly, insulting me and my work ethic on every forum post you can find is not going to get it fixed any faster.

That's all I have to say on the subject, so rant on if you wish but that's the last you're going to hear from me on this until it's actually fixed.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Actually we haven't ignored our product for over a year.
Right... Last stable update? Well, don't take my word for it, here you go, over a year ago, just look @ the image.

You've publicly ignored your product for over a year, you've ignored repeated complaints about this issue and done nothing to fix them.

Instead of focusing on adding new features, you need to focus on fixing existing bugs. This should be top priority, instead of brushed under the carpet, worked on whenever you feel like it, trying to milk more money out of your subscribers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot017.jpg (48.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
spocko
TiVo HD

twhiting9275, I think your accusations and insults toward VRD and your hijacking of this thread are inappropriate. I suggest you cool it before you get yourself banned. Since you are so unhappy with VRD, perhaps you should try nicely asking for a refund. Enough said in this thread!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #28
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Dan203,

If a customer complains, within the warranty period, that this problem makes the product worthless to them will VRD give a complete refund?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #29
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
twhiting9275, I think your accusations and insults toward VRD and your hijacking of this thread are inappropriate. I suggest you cool it before you get yourself banned. Since you are so unhappy with VRD, perhaps you should try nicely asking for a refund. Enough said in this thread!
Just because you don't agree with something doesn't make it inappropriate. Stating the truth is always appropriate.

As far as hijacking, this thread did recommend VRD, no? Yes, it did. So, posting a truthful, honest experience with the company is not hijacking the thread. Just because it's not the party line, and doesn't favor VRD doesn't make it hijacking.

As far as the refund? Again, ignored, just like my requests for support. All ignored, no responses. Trying to get their attention "privately" does not work.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #30
jbcheshire

No one has answered my question due to the rants of the other guy.

Are free upgrades included in the purchase of the product? Or do I have to pay a fee when they come out with patches or upgrades???
jbcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote