TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #6691
x0lliex

Just wanted to share my experience with Comcast and my new HD TiVo. All I did was go down to the San Jose Comcast Center, pick up an M-Card a couple of days before my TiVo was delivered. On the day it arrived I popped the card in the TiVo, called Comcast, and they activated the card in less than 5 minutes. All channels come in, including Showtime HD and HBO HD. The TiVo is my only device so I pay $0 for the cable card with no HD access fee or outlet fee. Have already activated lifetime subscription for $288 (ebay with 15% bing cashback) so it won't be long until I break even with the Comcast HD-DVR charges ($15.95 in this area).
x0lliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #6692
rickeame

puget sound area issue

I'm going out of my mind with this one -- I live on the eastside, and I have two choices in guided setup for Comcast: Comcast or Comcast King County Jerald.

Either one gives me these channels in the 700 range that format like:

700 2 MGMHD

And then I get zero guide data because of that "2". They don't come out normal. I can tune to them, but no guide data.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've tried both comcast choices, with the same result.
rickeame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #6693
bakerja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you?

But Comcast in our area won't open up the back-end phone numbers to either customers or their own front-line reps. I would hope that would change now that they are finally enforcing pairing. (I've been running with incorrect pairing info since 2006 - and it hadn't mattered up until now.)
Comcast tech came out saturday as scheduled (first call of the day). It took the guy all of 5 minutes to call the dispatcher and get my cable card authorized for the encore pack. I asked him why they couldn't take care of it on the phone, he said they should have been able to.

Oh well, I'm good until I make another subscription change!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bakerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #6694
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
Comcast tech came out saturday as scheduled (first call of the day). It took the guy all of 5 minutes to call the dispatcher and get my cable card authorized for the encore pack. I asked him why they couldn't take care of it on the phone, he said they should have been able to.
The problem with Comcast and letting the Customer read off
the numbers to the person who can enter them correctly is:

Comcast will NOT let a Customer talk to the Authorized person.
The Tech not only calls a Special Number - but even if you had
the special number - they only let Comcast REGISTERED Cell
phone numbers get through. They use Caller-ID to block the call.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #6695
zand94

TivoHD x3 + Comcast cable cards x6 = no go - any ideas?

Ok here's the deal

Just moved to a new location - had FIOS at old location - cannot get at new location for 90day (something about an MDU upgrade needed) so going with comcast until then

NEVER HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE!! (with comcast or fios)

Saturday - installer comes out - tests signal at the walljack - good - tests signal at the end of the 4 way splitter good

connects cable modem first - good
puts in cable cards in all 3 tivoHds - registers them fine - contacts local office and gets cable modem setup first then reads off cc serial #s - but the guy on the other end sends a hit and hangs up before anything else can be done (host id and all that)

installer calls back - gets another person - they say 1 serial in a cc block the others are in STB blocks - she removes everything and reenters all information properly - sends hit - no channels and not seeing anything that looks proper on the network and conditional access screens on any of them
I restart 2 tivos and repeat guided setup on the 3rd - office person ends call while waiting

after wait no channels - call back in - they have not mapped the cable cards to the proper head end - the guy in the office rebuilds the account and gets all the info again and sends the hits out - this guy knows his stuff and is telling the tech at my apt which screens to be on and what to look for - hits not coming through it seems - he gets 3 or 4 more people in the office working on it - they delete the setup entirely and rebuild it from scratch - send hits - no go - new splitter outside put on - new splitter inside put on - and an amp - no gos on all options

i call tivo cable card line - go thru screens and am told that the cable cards are bad - we're at 3 hours in now - and the tech reschedules for sunday (today)

Sunday - tech comes in with 5 cards - we put in 3 and they all show up properly - he calls in and gets a guy on the phone that's dealt with tivos quite frequently - - he looks at everything that was done sat night and finds that they put it on as 1 primary digital outlet with 2 extra cable cards - instead of 3 digital outlets - he rebuilt account the proper way (and I had told them before it should be listed as 3 digital outlets) - and sends hits - no go on the tivo ccs -

I call into the tivo cc help line again - and get confirmation that the hits to activate/pair the cards arent getting through. we've removed the cable modem, removed the coax amp and still no go

In anyone's experience is there anything else I can have them try when they come out next saturday or that I can try myself then make a phone call to the national comcast support number.

ANY help would be appreciated -

Thanks - Alex
zand94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #6696
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Best thing to do is simply contact the ComcastCares group and let them come into your local office from corporate and get somone who knows what they're doing to work on your account configuration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #6697
heed316

Thumbs down

Since when has comcast counted a single MCard as two cablecards. They have apparently been charging me an extra 1.50 a month for a while now, under the guise of saying it was a change of service charge. I contact them via chat and they tell me this:

Wingielyn>With the Tivo, it will actually require a dual card.
Michael>Yes, it has one MCard in it.
Wingielyn>That is why there is an additional charge of $1.50.
Wingielyn>The first cable card is free, while the second will require an additional charge.
Michael>There is no second card though. There is only one card.
Michael>I have one MCard.
Michael>The TivoHD only required one MCard
Wingielyn>In which one MCard is equivalent to 2 cable cards.
Michael>That's like saying one HD Box is really 2 because it has two tuners. The Tivo is the same thing.
Michael>It has one MCard that gets two streams, as opposed to two SCards that each get one stream.
Michael>I am renting only one cable card.
Michael>It shouldn't matter that it gets two streams, it is one card.
Wingielyn>The one MCard is equivalent to two SCards.
Wingielyn>You can confirm this information as well with the local office.
Michael_ > I was told when I signed up that a MCard was included in the additional outlet fee.
Michael_ > They said if I had to use 2 MCards, I would be charged the 1.50, but since we only had ONE MCard, there was no cable card fee.
Michael_ > Why is a single cable card counted as two devices, when a single HD box that does the exact same thing count as one?
Wingielyn > One moment Michael, let me check on a bit further about that.
Wingielyn > Let me get back to you in 2-3 minutes.
Wingielyn > Thank you for your patience Michael.
Wingielyn > I did check on your concern and was able to get the very same information.
Wingielyn > That if you have an MCard there will be a $1.50 charge since this is for multiple streaming.
Wingielyn > And it is equivalent to 2 cable cards.

...Is this true? When I signed up this was most definitely NOT the case!

Last edited by heed316 : 09-07-2009 at 09:05 PM.
heed316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #6698
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by heed316 View Post
Since when has comcast counted a single MCard as two cablecards. They have apparently been charging me an extra 1.50 a month for a while now, under the guise of saying it was a change of service charge. I contact them via chat and they tell me this:

Wingielyn>With the Tivo, it will actually require a dual card.
Michael>Yes, it has one MCard in it.
Wingielyn>That is why there is an additional charge of $1.50.
Wingielyn>The first cable card is free, while the second will require an additional charge.
Michael>There is no second card though. There is only one card.
Michael>I have one MCard.
Michael>The TivoHD only required one MCard
Wingielyn>In which one MCard is equivalent to 2 cable cards.
Michael>That's like saying one HD Box is really 2 because it has two tuners. The Tivo is the same thing.
Michael>It has one MCard that gets two streams, as opposed to two SCards that each get one stream.
Michael>I am renting only one cable card.
Michael>It shouldn't matter that it gets two streams, it is one card.
Wingielyn>The one MCard is equivalent to two SCards.
Wingielyn>You can confirm this information as well with the local office.
Michael_ > I was told when I signed up that a MCard was included in the additional outlet fee.
Michael_ > They said if I had to use 2 MCards, I would be charged the 1.50, but since we only had ONE MCard, there was no cable card fee.
Michael_ > Why is a single cable card counted as two devices, when a single HD box that does the exact same thing count as one?
Wingielyn > One moment Michael, let me check on a bit further about that.
Wingielyn > Let me get back to you in 2-3 minutes.
Wingielyn > Thank you for your patience Michael.
Wingielyn > I did check on your concern and was able to get the very same information.
Wingielyn > That if you have an MCard there will be a $1.50 charge since this is for multiple streaming.
Wingielyn > And it is equivalent to 2 cable cards.

No, it's not true in any Comcast market. Contact the ComcastCares group and explain your problem.

http://twitter.com/comcastcares
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #6699
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heed316 View Post

Not true in the Seattle area.

Where are you located? Other Comcast/TivoHD users in your area can chime in on how they're charged.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #6700
heed316

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
No, it's not true in any Comcast market. Contact the ComcastCares group and explain your problem.

http://twitter.com/comcastcares
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com
I plan on it. A bit too annoyed to do it at the moment, but hopefully they can take care of this useless charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

Where are you located? Other Comcast/TivoHD users in your area can chime in on how they're charged.
I'm in Brooklyn, MI (just updated the profile). AFAIK, this isn't the case here either, and I just happened to notice a 1.50 change of service charge on my bills when I had no change of service. Come to find out that the "change of service" was the cable card fee! Argh...
heed316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #6701
michael new

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

Hey CraigK if I could ask what is the policy in Seattle? I live in Everett and their policy here is to charge $1.79 for each cable card and on top of that a $5.10 charge for each outlet. I thought the whole idea of the cable card was to save on costs and not have to rent a cable box and you were just renting the cable card?
180hr Tivo HD MSD
180hrTivo HD
michael new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #6702
gamndbndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post
I'm in Conyers and I wasted almost 2 hours of my life last night running through Guided Setup for nothing. The new channels did show back up when selecting Comcast World of More but they are BLACK/No picture. So I re-ran GS again and set back to Comcast Digital. Hopefully this will save some of you other poor souls the hassle.
Comcast is definitely up to something. While we were away for the weekend everything recorded fine up until 11 AM on Monday, then things appeared to get flaky. Reason I looked was that at 7 PM neither of the cablecards would pick up anything, however the analog, Motorola box and new digital boxes all worked OK. Went to bed. Overnight the TiVo recorded 1 HD and 1 standard program, but one of the cards wasn't picking up any channels, plus none of the HD channels were working. Then, after 2 hours, both cards and the HD channels were all back.

ACK! I think the rule is going to be "sleep on it" before calling them. When I tried calling last night the recording said "high call volume" and "there was a technical error" and disconnected.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #6703
SheliaP

Well- I got my truck roll (supposed tobe free) He was an hour late- but HEY- he knew what he was doing. TivoHD was ready..stuck in the cablecard, did a coupple things- Iwrote down serial numbers etc while he was doign his thing. he called someone at comcast- didn't like what she was saying- called someone else, who had him go through a couple of things.

While we were waiting- he said he got a new person the first time who wanted to do things the long way- called another, and she got him through in a couple of minutes. he was gone in less than 30 minutes. everything works great.

Obviously what I see written is true- he had 2 cell phone-devices- and they are what he calle don and got called back on. So I believe it has to be a certain phone number the tech is calling from.

now to wait and see what the bill has on it for all of this. I have not activated anything else
SheliaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #6704
gamndbndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
Comcast is definitely up to something. While we were away for the weekend everything recorded fine up until 11 AM on Monday, then things appeared to get flaky. Reason I looked was that at 7 PM neither of the cablecards would pick up anything, however the analog, Motorola box and new digital boxes all worked OK. Went to bed. Overnight the TiVo recorded 1 HD and 1 standard program, but one of the cards wasn't picking up any channels, plus none of the HD channels were working. Then, after 2 hours, both cards and the HD channels were all back.

ACK! I think the rule is going to be "sleep on it" before calling them. When I tried calling last night the recording said "high call volume" and "there was a technical error" and disconnected.
Came home from lunch, no HD channels but both cards are showing the <100 channels. Called Comcast, went through a couple of people, turns out the equipment info on their records no longer matches my cable card info - and this is a box that has been in use over 2 years! They are currently working on updating my system but it appears whatever they are doing in the background to upgrade the digital channels must be muckamucking with the account information. Perhaps it's the addition of the digital converters elsewhere in the house that made the problem?

If I didn't love TiVo so much I wouldn't go through all this headache.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #6705
michael new

So I just got off the phone with someone from Comast.cares and was told this, the $ 5.10 charge is for a Comcast Cable Card, the remaining 1.60 is for a Tivo Series 3 Comcast Cable Card, huh? Whats the difference you ask? Nothing Comcast believes a Series 3 requires 2 cable cards not one M card and therefore charge you twice.

Comcast is a joke, how can they charge that much fir a cable card? They really get you where it hurts, in my area Comcast service is cheaper than Fios(even if I could get Fios) so really they can charge whatever they want. it sucks as posted above the whole idea of cable card was to eliminate the cost of leasing a converter box and now we get screwed anyway and pay the same fee as a converter box.
180hr Tivo HD MSD
180hrTivo HD
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #6706
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael new View Post
So I just got off the phone with someone from Comast.cares and was told this, the $ 5.10 charge is for a Comcast Cable Card, the remaining 1.60 is for a Tivo Series 3 Comcast Cable Card, huh? Whats the difference you ask? Nothing Comcast believes a Series 3 requires 2 cable cards not one M card and therefore charge you twice.
Series 3 DOES require two cable cards.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #6707
michael new

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Series 3 DOES require two cable cards.
No...it does not I have four of them all with single M cards
180hr Tivo HD MSD
180hrTivo HD
Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #6708
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Hey CraigK if I could ask what is the policy in Seattle? I live in Everett and their policy here is to charge $1.79 for each cable card and on top of that a $5.10 charge for each outlet. I thought the whole idea of the cable card was to save on costs and not have to rent a cable box and you were just renting the cable card?
Comcast did an "account review" last month for my account. I haven't got this month's bill to confirm the changes yet, but I called a CSR to ask how my bill would change.

I was only paying $1.60 for the cable card in my Tivo HD. I also have a set-top box which comes as part of the digital package.

They are going to charge me $5.10 as an additional outlet for the TiVo HD, but the first cable card is included with this outlet fee. My bill will go up $3.50. If I had an original Series 3 the second card would be $1.60 a month.

I asked what would happen if I turned in my set-top box and they told me that then the CableCARD would be included with my digital package price.

This confirmed the way I understand their pricing on TiVo's and CableCARDs. They want to charge you an additional fee for each digital outlet so you only receive the channels you pay for and this is a way to control that. With each digital outlet you receive either a set-top box (or in our case a CableCARD) as part of the outlet fee. You can get limited channels on other outlets using a DTA (like with your Series 2), but not everything you subscribe to.

If I add another TiVo HD, I would expect it to be an additional $5.10 a month for the outlet fee which includes the CableCARD.

Comcast is raising their rates in Washington in October and I'm not sure if that includes outlet fees and CableCard fees for just channel package prices.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #6709
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
No, you don't. You have 4 Series 3 TiVoHD's with single M cards. TiVo's naming scheme is messed up. An original Series 3 requires 2 cards - it has the LED display that tells you the name of the show being recorded, and had a list price of $699 when it was being made (it's been discontinued for quite a while). The TiVoHD is in the same line, but can use M cards. If you don't ever refer to a TiVoHD as a Series 3 you'll be much better off!

Nobody has ever gotten an original Series 3 to work with a single M card (and use both tuners at once), and TiVo has said they have no plans anymore to get M cards to work. If you have an original Series 3 fully working with a single M-card, that's very big news.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #6710
drhankz

Quote:
I suggest you YELL at TiVo Then.

Tell TiVo their website is WRONG!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #6711
x0lliex

Quote:
I suggest you YELL at TiVo Then.

Tell TiVo their website is WRONG!
Take a look at his signature, he has 4 series 3 TiVo HD units. Tivo HD units work with a single M-card and are still a series 3 TiVo. As the previous poster CrispyCritter said, the original series 3 with the LED display on the front is the one that requires 2 cablecards.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #6712
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0lliex View Post
Take a look at his signature, he has 4 series 3 TiVo HD units. Tivo HD units work with a single M-card and are still a series 3 TiVo. As the previous poster CrispyCritter said, the original series 3 with the LED display on the front is the one that requires 2 cablecards.
Did you click on the TiVo Link in my POST?

I'm not saying they don't work - you actually have to read
the fine print. The Link on TiVo FAQ page leads Comcast to
believe you need two cards - which you may or may not
need depending on a bunch of variables. I can not blame
Comcast for having the wrong Info. They are not going to
read the fine print and check on the Version of TiVo SW!

I think TiVo should update their own webpage to make it CLEARER.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #6713
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Actually that's how many of the franchises place it in their billing system... the "TiVo CableCARD" is really nothing but a second CableCARD to go along with the first one that's part of the additional outlet fee. Consider it just a bookkeeping mechanism they use to identify it as a second card in one device vs. another device (meaning another additional outlet fee would be due).

So the $5.10 is an additional outlet fee and includes (1) CableCARD. The $1.60 is a second CableCARD for the same device.

Now if your device (aka TiVo receiver) only needs one CableCARD then you would not have the $1.60 additional charge for the second CableCARD, but you would still have the $5.10 additional outlet fee... unless the TiVo were your only outlet, then that fee (your first outlet) is actually built into the digital package price.

If you have a TiVo HD or HD XL model, not an original Series 3, then you only need one M card, and should only pay for one CableCARD... basically in your case, the $5.10 additional outlet fee (presuming that's your second receiver, of course).

Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #6714
x0lliex

Quote:
Did you click on the TiVo Link in my POST?

I'm not saying they don't work - you actually have to read
the fine print. The Link on TiVo FAQ page leads Comcast to
believe you need two cards - which you may or may not
need depending on a bunch of variables. I can not blame
Comcast for having the wrong Info. They are not going to
read the fine print and check on the Version of TiVo SW!

I think TiVo should update their own webpage to make it CLEARER.
I don't know what you mean? The TiVo page you link to is for the old series 3 model, the one with the LED screen, that one always requires 2 cable cards for 2 tuners. The newer TiVo HD is the unit that only requires 1 M-Card or 2 s-cards. If you look on the TiVo website you will see a different article for the TiVo HD which has the information for the TiVo HD model.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #6715
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0lliex View Post
I don't know what you mean? The TiVo page you link to is for the old series 3 model, the one with the LED screen, that one always requires 2 cable cards for 2 tuners. The newer TiVo HD is the unit that only requires 1 M-Card or 2 s-cards. If you look on the TiVo website you will see a different article for the TiVo HD which has the information for the TiVo HD model.
That is the POINT I was trying to make.

TiVo HD - I own one - only needs one card.

TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL are not Series 3. They are what they are.

The original reference question is about the Old Series 3 needing two cards.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #6716
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL are not Series 3.
Just to add to the confusion, they are referred to as Series 3 models on the box itself, and I would expect the same occurs in the manual.

It's a shame TiVo couldn't at least use clearly identifiable numbers for their models so we wouldn't have to say things like "original series 3" or "Series 3 with the OLED display" to ensure an unambiguous reference.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #6717
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Just to add to the confusion, they are referred to as Series 3 models on the box itself, and I would expect the same occurs in the manual.

It's a shame TiVo couldn't at least use clearly identifiable numbers for their models so we wouldn't have to say things like "original series 3" or "Series 3 with the OLED display" to ensure an unambiguous reference.
AMEN - most other manufacturers at least come up with different model numbers
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #6718
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
The problem with Comcast and letting the Customer read off
the numbers to the person who can enter them correctly is:

Comcast will NOT let a Customer talk to the Authorized person.
The Tech not only calls a Special Number ...
So the problem (again) is Comcast. Why not have a different support number for those of us who are a little more savvy? Several times I have prevented a truck roll by being lucky enough to talk to the right people on the other end of the phone. But it's hit or miss.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #6719
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

They do - in my case, it's the senior VP for Comcast ops Atlanta region. One call to his exec assistant (a very sweet and understanding gal) and I get to the right person within a day or two. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it works for me. Try googling some phone numbers - consumerist.com is also a good place to look.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #6720
Need2Know

Some channels grey.......tech said it will resolve itself? BS?

So, the cablecard installer says the Mstream card is installed properly, subscribed, paired and validated, and even I can see that Val = V.

He says that the channels that are grey should come in over the next 24 hours. Is that bogus or what?

Thanks.
Need2Know is offline   Reply With Quote