TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #391
Sy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakpak View Post
On my S3, I pay $2.54 for the 2nd cable card, $8 Duplicate Services fee, and $3.50 for the 2nd HD Pak. Total $14.04 per month that you're saving by using a single M card.
There is something really wrong about how they continue to bill for their services. I can see where they are coming from, but there should be a way for them to know that these cards are going into 1 box connected to 1 tv. I forget now but does each cc slot have it's own host id number or are they both the same?
Premiere XL

*Listed in order of acquisition as well as reliability!
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #392
redhotlava

OTW TA MIA in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan24 View Post
Right thread...

I was told a couple months ago that the TA's were coming to Hawaii in small batches. They were being distributed first to the current CableCard customers, then to the people on the waiting list (I think I signed up for the waiting list last November or so). Since I just got my TA last week, that gives you an idea of where they are in terms of making it through the list. [Disclaimer: I was told this by OTW CSR's, so I won't vouch for accuracy.] I have no information about other islands. I did get a CSR to tell me where I was on the list (maybe six weeks ago) -- she said she saw my name on the first page. So maybe you could call and ask where you are on the list.

As for cost, the TA and the install were free. Not sure what the cablecard rental is, but I think it's shown on Oceanic's web site (my memory says it's only $2-3 per card). Exactly how much it will cost depends on your package (HD fees, duplication fees, etc.).

I don't think you can get a TA yourself. Your frustration is well understood...
thanks for the info... so, it sounds like six months is how long it takes to get a TA. That's ridiculous. Where are you? They did tell me yesterday that I
was sixth out of nine on the list here in the Hilo area. Don't know how many
there were when I signed up about three weeks ago. Guess they don't have too much of a stake in helping out folks with alternative DVR's, eh? Oh, well... waiting is.

~ mick
redhotlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #393
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotlava View Post
thanks for the info... so, it sounds like six months is how long it takes to get a TA. That's ridiculous. Where are you? They did tell me yesterday that I
was sixth out of nine on the list here in the Hilo area. Don't know how many
there were when I signed up about three weeks ago. Guess they don't have too much of a stake in helping out folks with alternative DVR's, eh? Oh, well... waiting is.

~ mick
I wouldn't assume six months. I signed up long before they started distributing the TA's and I'm in Makakilo (West Oahu), so our experience on Oahu is probably going to be different than other islands. If you're sixth on the list, it doesn't seem like it should be that long.
GiantsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #394
redhotlava

Quote:
I wouldn't assume six months. I signed up long before they started distributing the TA's and I'm in Makakilo (West Oahu), so our experience on Oahu is probably going to be different than other islands. If you're sixth on the list, it doesn't seem like it should be that long.
well, I hope you're right... but judging from their level of interest in the whole thing, I'm not holding my breath. they're nice about it and all, but I wonder if they really know what they're doing... and reading about the horror stories on the list, I'm skeptical about them getting it up and running when the TA finally does arrive. some people don't seem to have problems tho, so maybe I'll fall into that group. let's hope so anyway. have you had problems since they set you up?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #395
GiantsFan24

Quote:
have you had problems since they set you up?
None, whatsoever [fingers trembling as he types these words]. I have noticed a couple of times that changing to a SDV channel will result in a blank screen -- if I channel up/down, it always comes in. It's a rare occurrence, and I don't know if I stayed on the channel whether it would eventually come in, but if not, that doesn't bode well for future recordings. At the moment, though, i'm not making heavy use of recording (summer reality crap doesn't work for me), so I don't really know. As of now (all of one week), I haven't missed anything. All my Daily Shows and Colbert Reports have worked.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #396
redhotlava

glad to hear it

Quote:
None, whatsoever [fingers trembling as he types these words].
Well, that's encouraging. We almost never watch anything that's not HD, so I'm not really too concerned with SD anyway, but you never know what we might do in the future. Pretty hard to watch SD once you've seen the light.
I just want to get back to Tivo... I've been using the stupid TWC box for way too long. Had an SD Tivo for about four years before it finally went tits up. Not sure why I didn't put another hard drive in it... but when HD came out we just used the cable company box while Tivo was working out the bugs. Maybe it was a good thing to wait, I don't know... but I can't stand having to manage the box all the time, only having 6 days of programming available to me, and getting frustrated trying to use the idiotic TWC search function (now THERE'S an oxymoron if I've ever heard one!). It will be good
to record programs using a key word and find them easily with a couple week's worht of programming available. I can't wait. But I guess I'll have to.
Thanks for the info, Giants Fan. ~ Mick
Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #397
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Well, that's encouraging. We almost never watch anything that's not HD, so I'm not really too concerned with SD anyway, but you never know what we might do in the future. Pretty hard to watch SD once you've seen the light.
Agree with you 100% on HD vs SD and on the TWC crap DVR stuff - especially the [cough, cough] search. Just to be clear, I was talking about SDV - Switched Digital Video channels, not SD - Standard Definition. SDV includes almost all of the HD channels on Oceanic (except the local channels).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #398
redhotlava

Gotcha. Wondered about that.
I'll let you know when TWC actually
comes up with the TA and makes the
install. Hope it's before football season
starts. ~ m
Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #399
Icarus

Nobody else noticed that HDNET and HDNET Movies are gone now?

Replacements are the Smithsonian channel and some sort of crime channel.

Please call or write in with your displeasure with this decision if it bothers you at all.

When you call, the message you get when you hit the number for cable tv is that they were replaced due to something like the contract ended.

I hate these guys sometimes. What a dumb decision to replace 2 great channels with crap. Well, maybe I will like the Smithsonian Channel, but the other one looks like it's just all repackaged TV show reruns. That can't possibly make up for the loss of HDNET Movies or even HDNET.

I don't know if they are in negotiations to renew them or not. I hope they are, but somehow I doubt it because they would usually tell us that.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #400
Sy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Nobody else noticed that HDNET and HDNET Movies are gone now?
It took you over a week to notice so you probably aren't going to miss it that much! BTW this was discussed in its own thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=426736) since it is not specific to just Hawaii rather all TWC markets!
Premiere XL

Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #401
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post
It took you over a week to notice so you probably aren't going to miss it that much! BTW this was discussed in its own thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=426736) since it is not specific to just Hawaii rather all TWC markets!
I was out of the country for 2 weeks, and yeah, I noticed it almost immediately.

Thanks for the link.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #402
rickyli99

Tuning adapter blinking

Has anyone else have had problems with the tuning adapter today? When I woke up my TA was just blinking and now I can't tune in some HD channels. I power cycled the darn thing twice, and my TivoHD once just to be sure, still no go.

Mahalos in advance.
Ricky
rickyli99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #403
Sy-

Sorry, All good over here!
Premiere XL

Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #404
jesseramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyli99 View Post
Has anyone else have had problems with the tuning adapter today? When I woke up my TA was just blinking and now I can't tune in some HD channels. I power cycled the darn thing twice, and my TivoHD once just to be sure, still no go.

Mahalos in advance.
Ricky
I'm still having problems tonight. Did you get yours working?
jesseramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #405
Icarus

When I've had some problems with the TA, the only way to clear them up was to completely power down the tivo, which basically means unplugging it, then you have to remove the power cable from the TA (turning it off via the TA power button isn't enough), wait a minute, reconnect the power cable to the TA, wait a little bit for the TA to re-acquire the signal and programming, then power up the tivo.

-David
Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #406
jesseramos

Quote:
When I've had some problems with the TA, the only way to clear them up was to completely power down the tivo, which basically means unplugging it, then you have to remove the power cable from the TA (turning it off via the TA power button isn't enough), wait a minute, reconnect the power cable to the TA, wait a little bit for the TA to re-acquire the signal and programming, then power up the tivo.

-David
Thanks, David. I tried that a couple of times to no avail. I was still missing a bunch of HD channels.

I went back and saw Todd B's post in this thread about the same issue. He mentioned calling in and doing an automated re-activation so I did that and it seemed to do the trick.
jesseramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #407
Rwood

Quote:
(turning it off via the TA power button isn't enough),
The button on the front of the TA isn't really a power button. I found out the hard way that it is a disable switch. If you look at the OPStatus in the Tuner Adapter Diagnostic page, it goes between Disabled and Ready based on the "Power Switch".
Rwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #408
heng101

I had gotten on the list several months ago, finally they came last week and installed tuning adapters and cable cards for 2 Tivo HD's. They tested the signal and installed an amplifier, replaced several splitters. Right away the picture even on non-HD channels is much better. Overall, they did a really good job, however one Tivo showed the card as a S-card, I pointed this out but they said no, it would not communicate with the tuning adapter if it was not an M-card so my Tivo must be displaying it wrong. I told them a half a dozen times but they would not listen. After they left, I tried resetting the tivo, etc. but no change, finally pulled both cards (after powering off) and of course one is labeled Multi-stream and the other is not. So they get to come back next week and install the correct M-card. Other than that, all is well, everything seems to work just as it should.
heng101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #409
redhotlava

still waiting...

yeah... I can't wait to see what the tech does to get mine up and running.
but when that will be is anyone's guess. I'll be going down to the TWC office yet again today to see when (or if) the tuning adapters will be here. last time I checked I was sixth in line out of nine. wish me luck. ~ mick, hilo, hawaii
Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #410
heng101

Installer came today and swapped the S-card for an M-card, re-authorized and so far all is good. They seem to have some installers who are knowledgeable about Tivo, others who appear to be more in training. Considering how small the Tivo user group is compared to what the size of the DVR group is, they did well. Very happy to have only the Tivo for standard and high-def. TV now.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #411
redhotlava

still waiting

Called TWC again today to see the status of the tuning adapter. Was told they have none... and that the ones they are waiting for are still in development. This was TWC Oahu now, not TWC Hilo. So I guess you must have gotten one of the last. I made my first request on 5/8, so I'm now about five and a half weeks out. Have to wonder how long we're gonna have to wait now... doesn't exactly seem imminent. I'm bummed.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #412
heng101

Ran into a glitch and found a solution that I thought I'd share in case others run into this:
After TWC replaced the S card with the M card, the Tivo HD was still working off only 1 tuner, so I could not watch one channel while another was being recorded. It occurred to me that the Tivo probably needed to go through Guided Settup again to recognize the M card for both tuners, so I proceeded with that but it got stuck at the 'Preparing' for 'Getting Program Info'-I waited several hours but no progress. After some research, I restarted the Tivo (unplug and plug back in) which started guided settup again, and when it came to input the Zip code put in 00000, which loaded a skeleton list of channels and the Tivo finished the Guided Settup. After this I repeated Guided Settup and put in the Zip for our area, it then finished Guided Settup correctly with all channels for our area and both tuners now work.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #413
redhotlava

That's great information... thanks. I have a hunch I might need it someday.
At least I hope I do... assuming I see the S/M cards and TA eventually. Pray for me, ok? Mahalo. ~ Mick
Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #414
bueller555

Anyone have a guess on this one? I've lost a few SDV HD channels HGTV, Lifetime, and about 8 others. I've tried power cycling the tuning adapter and the Tivo HD with no change. I have a single M-card installed. What do you think that could cause some, but not all SDV channels to fail? Oceanic support only had a handful of steps to try and nothing else useful. I was hoping that they would re-pair the M-card to see if that help, but this rep didn't know about doing that.
bueller555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #415
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post
Anyone have a guess on this one? I've lost a few SDV HD channels HGTV, Lifetime, and about 8 others. I've tried power cycling the tuning adapter and the Tivo HD with no change. I have a single M-card installed. What do you think that could cause some, but not all SDV channels to fail? Oceanic support only had a handful of steps to try and nothing else useful. I was hoping that they would re-pair the M-card to see if that help, but this rep didn't know about doing that.
Some guesses based on what others have written. You've probably tried these ideas, but just in case...

1. When you power cycled the TA, did you pull the plug? The button on the front is not a power button.
2. Did OTW send a reauthorization to your card? I'm hoping this is one of the steps they try as a matter of course, but you never know.
3. Do you get all the SDV non-HD channels? If yes, then the problem may be that the OTW system does not think you have the HD package.
4. Did you try re-inserting the cablecard? I think this gets the Tivo to refresh its relationship with the card, but I've haven't had to do it yet so I don't really know.
5. Are your neighbors getting these channels? Maybe the problem is in the hardware that provides SDV to your area (I can't remember the proper term for this). This one's unlikely, but again, you never know...
Old 06-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #416
bicker
Gruff

FCC Vacates SDV Rulings Against Time Warner Cable, Cox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #417
Redhaze737

Finally got the SDV installed by TW in Honolulu on June 30th. Works great so far.

Last edited by Redhaze737 : 07-02-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Redhaze737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #418
s2krazy

I've been losing channels randomly recently. Most susceptible are Smithsonian HD and Verses HD. I do the unplug/re-plug dance but it does screw up recorded programs a lot.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #419
bueller555

I lost SDV channels for the second time. Pulling the power and rebooting the tuning adapter has never helped. I called the Oceanic customer service line and noticed that there is an option for automatic reauthorization of your box. I tried that option and it took about an hour, but my lost channels were restored.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #420
bueller555

You folks see this in the mail? http://www.oceanic.com/products/television/hdtv/notice I hope that this means that I can reduce my costs since most of my favorite channels will be moving to their standard tv package. I'm guessing that I'll still need a tuning adapter for the HD stuff.