TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
meyerweb

Series 2 and wireless G adapters?

Does anyone care about Series 2 Tivo any more?

The list of adapters that work with a Series 2, as shown on the Tivo web site, are all obsolete,and no longer available. Are there any G adapters that will work with a series 2? I just gave my son an old series 2, that works fine, but unless he can find a wireless adapter to use with it he's out of luck.

And no, he doesn't have a landline phone to use instead.
meyerweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
bedelman
Call me Bob

The TiVo branded wireless adapter is still around. Not only is it an 802.11g adapter, it is the only one that supports WPA. This adapter also has some custom circuitry that allows the management of the network connection to be off-loaded to the adapter itself -- making the performance much better (I think this is also why only this adapter works with WPA).

The processor in the TiVo is relatively "weak"

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
classicsat
Astute User

Practically, since TiVo launched their adapter a few years ago, they stopped adding support for 3rd party adapters, simply because it was getting hard for them to get the resources they need to write driver code, and for customers to find those exact models and versions on the store shelves. Therefore, the list is basically a snapshot of the last adapters supported.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
lew

The manufacturers of almost all of the cheap after rebate USB adapters don't supply linux drivers. There is no available driver for tivo to port over. Further those manufacturers have been known to change their chipset but keep the model number the same. Trying to support third party adapters was a nightmare. PP is correct tivo no longer bothers trying to support third party adapters.

Either use the tivo branded adapter or find a router you can configure as a bridge.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
eibgrad

You can make ANY wired device support wireless if you just use bridging technology. The best deal out there right now is the ZyXEL P330W router, which also supports client mode (i.e., wireless Ethernet bridge). And it's cheap, currently $18 after rebate from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-P330W-80.../dp/B000AAQQBC

[wireless router]<--wireless-->[p330w in client mode]<--wire-->[wired tivo]

Of course, w/ Series2 you'll also need a compatible USB Ethernet adapter (e.g., Netgear FA120) for your Tivo.

Last edited by eibgrad : 08-25-2009 at 09:14 AM.
eibgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
lew

Finding a compatable USB-Ethernet adapter for S2 units won't be cheap. The netgear adapter is discontinued. You can probably get one for around $20on ebay but YMV. Tivo gets almost $30 for an adapter. The router you suggest is another $18. Add whatever hastle you have to go through to configure the router as a bridge. Possible rebate issues.

Makes a lot of sense if you already have a router (in your box of stuff) that you can configure in bridge mode. I have a couple of motorola routers I got for almost free after rebate that work great with DD-WRT in bridge mode. It also may make sense if you already own a compatable USB-Ethernet adapter. It's also a great idea for people who own a S3 tivo.

I'd go with the Tivo wireless G before I'd purchase both a bridge and a USB-Ethernet adapter. The total cost is about the same. Absolutely no hastle. Less clutter.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Rootwitch

I have a cheap Linksys G USB adapter that's worked fine for the last 3 years.
Rootwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
classicsat
Astute User

Good for you. TiVo never officially supported any Linksys G adapters, although some are known to work.

The problem, and part of the reason TiVo quit supporting 3rd party wireless adapters, is that one could not easily enough tell the Linksys G adapters that would work with ones that would not. It was hard enough to tell the Netgear G adapters apart.

And you won't get WPA security on it with the TiVo.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote