Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
MichaelJHuman

Tivo/Palladia HD/Comcast

Does anyone have a combination of -

* An HD Tivo
* Comcast w/ cable card
* Access to the Palladia HD channel

If so, do you have any problems? I am in Colorado Springs, and my A/V breaks up every minute or so.

It could be local interferance. Comcast says it's my Tivo box, of course. They found nothing after replacing cables and such, and say the signal is good on their end of things.
MichaelJHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I don't quite fit your profile -- I have Time Warner.

I don't watch Palladia much but the one time when I did watch it for an hour, it had more break ups than I've ever seen on any other channel, with the possible exception of Turner Classic Movies, which I do watch a lot.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
zalusky

Don't watch it out all the time but when I have in the last few days, I have not seen one problem. I even recorded one of the shows and it played back fine.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
MichaelJHuman

I am just cursed.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

I have Palladia HD on Comcast with cablecards. I watch it on occasion; maybe 2-3 times a month. I recorded something on it just last week, because I remember that d*mn butterfly logo bugging me, but I can't remember what it was. IAC, no probs. None. Ever.

Hmm, brain cells kickin' in... maybe Woodstock in HD, Editor's Cut?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

* An HD Tivo
* Comcast w/ cable card
I have this combination and watch Palladia occasionally. I haven't noticed any problems. The last thing I recorded (Jeff Beck) was fine. Comcast recently moved Palladia from ch 661 to 685 and I didn't notice any change in audio or video quality.

How is the signal strength on that channel?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
zalusky

You might want to check the quality of your wiring. I have found that when you have faulty wiring that some channels can still be great and some channels can demonstrate what you talk about.

One way to tell is if you have multiple Tivos and there are inconsistencies between them.

Do you have the ability to connect the Tivo up to a spot closer to the point of entry?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
MichaelJHuman

I have two Tivo units. They rewired the wall plate to the Tivo, and put a new splitter in the bedroom wallplate. At one point they hooked the bedroom to the Tivo with no splitter in the wall plate so that would be the cleanest possible connection.

Both Tivos have the exact same problem. One uses an MCard the other two cable cards. So it's odd, very odd.

It's almost like there's some transmitter nearbye which periodically transmits, and is picked up somewhere in the wiring - and no one else complains as no one else watches Palladia.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
cuyahoga

Quote:

* An HD Tivo
* Comcast w/ cable card

If so, do you have any problems? I am in Colorado Springs, and my A/V breaks up every minute or so.
Ran into some of the same problems that you are describing last night. Macroblocking, audio drop out. I'm in the Philadelphia area.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
rdclark

Just that channel, and your signal strenght and s/n ratio are all good? Very weird.

Yes, I have that combo of TiVoHD, Comcast, and Palladia in Delaware County PA, and watch it fairly frequently with no issues.

No idea why this would matter, but have you tried switching your THD between Dolby Digital and PCM audio output?
rdclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Susdawg

I have the combo of Tivo HD, Comcast, Palladia and live in Colorado Springs.

I just checked and I am also having frequent picture and audio breakup. I'll try to place a call in today.
Susdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
MichaelJHuman

You should mention someone else had the same problem. My guess is that they wil blame Tivo though.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Susdawg

I've got a tech coming tomorrow morning now. I told them I know someone else is having the same problem. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
Airhead315

I have Comcast CableCards(Morgantown,WV) and my Palladia HD channel comes in great. When the tech finished installing the CableCards Palladia was the first channel he tuned too. He stated that due to the frequency Palladia uses it is the hardest channel to get to tune and "if Palladia tunes in you wont have a signal problem on any other channels". I would suggest that you have the tech check the signal strength first rather than mess with the Tivo/CableCards which are likely working just fine. Most cablecard issues result in not being able to tune a channel at all.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
anom
Enlightened

Quote:

* An HD Tivo
* Comcast w/ cable card
Yes.

Quote:
If so, do you have any problems?
No.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
MichaelJHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I have Comcast CableCards(Morgantown,WV) and my Palladia HD channel comes in great. When the tech finished installing the CableCards Palladia was the first channel he tuned too. He stated that due to the frequency Palladia uses it is the hardest channel to get to tune and "if Palladia tunes in you wont have a signal problem on any other channels". I would suggest that you have the tech check the signal strength first rather than mess with the Tivo/CableCards which are likely working just fine. Most cablecard issues result in not being able to tune a channel at all.
They checked signal strength etc.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
MichaelJHuman

I will tell you what is most odd about it. It's happening every 25 seconds. What would cause something that clearly periodic? A nearbye transmitter? A software glitch?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
zalusky

Do you have anything else on your coax like cable modem, that could induce some noise back into the line?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
MichaelJHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Do you have anything else on your coax like cable modem, that could induce some noise back into the line?
I do use a cable modem. Comcast did not mention that it could create noise on the line, but that does not mean it's not possible. I will disconnect it and test PLDHD again.

Not sure why noise from a cable modem would repeat every 25 seconds though
Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #20
zalusky

Quote:
I do use a cable modem. Comcast did not mention that it could create noise on the line, but that does not mean it's not possible. I will disconnect it and test PLDHD again.

Not sure why noise from a cable modem would repeat every 25 seconds though
I am not suggesting it is but I am suggesting removing everything else from your coax line except the Tivo just to see if anything gets better.

Also check that cable coax line has a good ground. The cable company should have grounded it but the possibility of some ground loops can cause noise.

You can also check that your Tivo is on a filtered power strip just to make sure there is no noise.

Once you isolate all of this out then maybe you can start to blame the cable company. How are the quality of your coax cables sometimes bad connectors can cause problems as well. Do you have any cables you can swap with to check as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #21
MichaelJHuman

They replaced all the coax cables in the apartment. I will try disocnnecting the cable modem to check it.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #22
Susdawg

Ok, I just had a tech spend 4 hours here trying to figure out the problem. He replaced lines, he replaced connections, he checked signal strength, checked frequencies, checked for interference on the line. Everything is perfect on comcasts end. They hooked up one of their hd boxes to my tv and there was no tiling or audio loss. The tech said it's a tivo issue.

I disconnected all other coax items and it still was there.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #23
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susdawg View Post
Ok, I just had a tech spend 4 hours here trying to figure out the problem. He replaced lines, he replaced connections, he checked signal strength, checked frequencies, checked for interference on the line. Everything is perfect on comcasts end. They hooked up one of their hd boxes to my tv and there was no tiling or audio loss. The tech said it's a tivo issue.

I disconnected all other coax items and it still was there.
What model is your TiVo, and how old? If it's a recent vintage THD, I will be interested to see what TiVo does for you. Or are you just going to live with it?

and
Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
Susdawg

It's just a regular TivoHd not an xl. It just under a year old.

I called tivo tech support and their diagnositics show a lot of uncorrected errors. (I'm not an expert) due to bad signal and noise. Comcast tech that was here earlier said my signal was great. Comcast considers it a done issue.

I only occasionally watch this channel so it isn't a huge issue right now. I'm sort of hoping that maybe it will go away on its own. It's a pretty new issue.

I might look into getting a filtered power strip mentioned above and see if that corrects the issue. Any recommedations?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
MichaelJHuman

My tech also suggested my Tivo is not properly correcting errors. But if there were random errors, why every 25 seconds?

Did you time your breakups, Sus?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #26
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susdawg View Post
It's just a regular TivoHd not an xl. It just under a year old.

I called tivo tech support and their diagnositics show a lot of uncorrected errors. (I'm not an expert) due to bad signal and noise. Comcast tech that was here earlier said my signal was great. Comcast considers it a done issue.

I only occasionally watch this channel so it isn't a huge issue right now. I'm sort of hoping that maybe it will go away on its own. It's a pretty new issue.

I might look into getting a filtered power strip mentioned above and see if that corrects the issue. Any recommedations?
You can see the uncorrected error counts (I assume what the TiVo rep was seeing) by going to:

Messages & Settings ==> Account & System Information =>> DVR Diagnostics

The first two lists pertain to the two tuners, 0 and 1. Look at the tuner that has Channel equal to the channel you are interested in. There is RS Uncorrected and RS Corrected for each tuner. The RS refers to an error correction scheme that is used, called Reed-Solomon. Ideally, if there are any errors the correction scheme will correct them so the Uncorrected count will be 0. These are cumulative totals starting from first tuning to that channel. It takes thousands of uncorrected errors per minute to cause noticeable video glitches. If you have high corrected error counts, the signal has lots of errors. This could be caused by problems in the cabling or the cable equipment that gets the signal to you -- or it could be encoding errors in the signal before it even is distributed. I have a few channels that build up huge corrected counts but almost no uncorrected counts, and their PQ is great. I also get A/V glitches occasionally on almost all my channels, but both counts stay at zero -- I sometimes wonder if you can trust these counts. If they are correct, then all these glitches are actually encoded into the video signal as distributed.

and
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #27
Susdawg

I haven't timed them accurately myself but when the tech was here he counted 8 in 5 minute span. So that is about once every 37 seconds.

Tivos tech support did have me check the rs corrected and rs uncorrected for that channel. I'm not near the tv right now but I remember rs corrected was 1700 (approx) and rs uncorrected was 1356 ( I remember this number)

To MichaelJHuman- the comcast tech was curious if you lived close to me since we have the same issue. I live in the Briargate area-do you?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #28
MichaelJHuman

I am at Austin Bluffs and Barnes generally. Oddly, I am 300 seconds into tuning into Palladia, and diagnostics shows 0 uncorrected, 0 corrected for the tuner that should have Palladia tuned in.

That does not seem right, does it?

Last edited by MichaelJHuman : 08-25-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #29
MichaelJHuman

So seems like I am the only one with this problem. It's odd, because all other channels work right, and I am not seeing errors in the diganostics.