TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #211
MPSAN

I, too, have gotten a lot of use out of Netflix. When we got our 3 THD's I did not think that I would as we watch mostly BluRay DVD's. However we found a lot of older stuff (and some not so old stuff) is on SD only anyway. We especially like the TV stuff, however I wish we could eliminate an episode without removing the whole series. It makes it hard to remember where we left off!

We just had our first issue last night. We tried to see Numbers and it said there was an error. OK, so we tried a different episode and still got the error. So we tried CSI and still got the error message. So, then we tried Season 1 of The Office, episode 3 and all was OK.

After that we tried NUMBERS again to see what would happen and the TiVo locked up. Even pressing a key on the remote did not show on the TiVo LED. We then went to bed and in the morning it was still locked up. Did a power cycle and all was OK this AM...even NUMBERS. I have no doubt that Netflix had an issue with those 2 TV series last night but do not know why it locked up.

Anyway, it has been fine except for those 2 shows last night!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #212
jlb
NCC-1701-D

So I finally took netflix up on their offer to come back for a trial. Mostly did it so we could get Entourage S5 before my library request takes forever. I tossed Zohan into the instant queue to try it. Seemed ok. Then went up and dumped about 10 titles into the instant queue.

Once I did that I went back to the VOD menu. Let me correct that...tried to go to the VOD menu. Sits at please wait for a few minutes then goes back to the NPL. Tried removing stuff from my IQ and still no go.

Sits at please wait and then back to npl. At least it is not locking up the whole system, but it seems like Netflix IQ has broken my entire VOD menu...youtube...jaman...etc.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #213
brnscofrnld
where is this place?

we used netflix with no issues last night on our TIVOHD but tonight can't watch anything either. I'm getting the same result as jlb.
brnscofrnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #214
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Can't stream or can't get into the VOD menu?

Looking on the bright side, if there is a widespread problem, at least I am not alone. On the downside, another poor performance item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #215
chedlin
TiVo Addict

VOD and Netflix menus both dead on this end. On hold to complain. I haven't called them in 2 years....
Series 3 300GB soon to get lifetime from Philips unit.
chedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #216
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I called netflix. This was before I had seen others responding after my post. Thinking that it was a netflix problem. That it is affecting multiple people and not just the netflix option but the entire VOD menu tells me that I should get on the horn with tivo too to complain.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #217
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Called TiVo. They are aware of a "global" VOD issue and working on it. Estimate (whatever that means) is 2 hours. At least they are aware of it.....

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #218
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Called TiVo. They are aware of a "global" VOD issue and working on it. Estimate (whatever that means) is 2 hours. At least they are aware of it.....
I'll just point out that Netflix can't "break" the VoD menu since they are two separate applications. If the VoD application is down though you can't get into Netflix that way.

You can set up the TiVo so that Netflix shows up at the bottom of your Now Playing List. If you do that then you can run Netflix without going into the VoD menu. You need to get into the VoD menu at least once in order to set that up though.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #219
jlb
NCC-1701-D

is that a straightforward easy thing to setup...right from the menu? I assume so.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #220
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
is that a straightforward easy thing to setup...right from the menu? I assume so.
It's fairly straightforward.

If you go into the VoD menus and choose Netflix, there's an menu item that lets you change the option to display the Netflix icon in the NPL. Simply go in to it and set it to enabled. The next time your TiVo makes a connection, the icon will show up in the NPL. To disable it, simply repeat the process and choose disabled instead.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #221
Groovy32

Even off the now playing

Tivo still locks up grey screen "Please wait" when you select the Netflix from the now playing screen.
Groovy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #222
jlb
NCC-1701-D

or still locks selecting the main VOD menu.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #223
chedlin
TiVo Addict

Just finished watching the Lost season 1 finale (we had already watched part 1 last night, so TiVo's timing was painful. Watched part 2 on computer while waiting.)

It works. I think the software is fine when it works, but it threw us out of the video at 33 minutes requiring us to start it again (it picked up where it left off).
Series 3 300GB soon to get lifetime from Philips unit.
chedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #224
Fourway
Gigantic Member

In netflix on a tivo hd paused for a number of minutes about 18 minutes into The Elephant Man spontaneous crash into green screen with *extremely* loud rapid beeping.

I haven't found any references to this exact problem online. Has anyone else experienced it?
--Paul Saffo
Fourway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #225
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourway View Post
In netflix on a tivo hd paused for a number of minutes about 18 minutes into The Elephant Man spontaneous crash into green screen with *extremely* loud rapid beeping.

I haven't found any references to this exact problem online. Has anyone else experienced it?
I'll add it to my queue and give it a try! However, I suspect there's a interface somewhere that may be timing out the connection after such a long pause. It may or may not be reproduceable by me due to geographical disparity, different ISP, and the likelihood of reaching Netflix via a different route. I'll give it a shot though!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #226
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

OK, I ran it past the 18 minute mark, and paused it for about 30-35 minutes. When I came back, the movie resumed without a hitch. I then paused it again for about 45 minutes, and resumed without issue. It's not much of a test, but it does eliminate that movie as a culprit.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #227
jtreid

Working much better with powerline ethernet

OK, so I had almost given up on the Tivo+Netflix thing when I read about someone having much better luck with wired vs. wireless connection. I bought the Netgear powerline ethernet kit (http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-XAVB10...0873349&sr=8-1) and hooked it up last night. I must say that it is 1000% better. I still had the occassional resync, a couple of pixelations and one drop back in quality, but through 4 Heros episodes, it was pretty much full bars and HD the whole time. Watching the lights on the adapter, it was switching between 50-85Mbps to greater than 85Mbps. I didn't notice anything strange during this switching and didn't notice anything on the adapter during the very occassional glitches. I did pause once for about 2 minutes and it jumped back to live TV for some reason. It's interesting how the streaming works watching the lights. When you pause, the streaming pauses. I would think Tivo would work a bit better if it buffered up a little before playback to avoid the occassional network hiccup. Mybe it does, but if it does, it's not enough.

Anyway, I can live with it now. For those having problems with a wireless connection, going wired or at least with the powerline adapters may help. Keep in mind that I read that the powerline adapters work best when both are on the same phase of your house wiring. I didn't check if mine is, but it works.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #228
morac
Cat God

The problem with powerline adapters is they don't work when the power goes out (duh) and they can't be connected to a UPS. With my current setup I could technically continue streaming Netflix even if the power goes out, though my TV would quickly drain the UPS.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #229
vurbano

I gave netflix a shot. My conclusion is? You gotta be kidding me. Their instant watching movie selection is a joke. I cancelled that nonsense a couple of days after activating it. I just do not undersand that. If netflix has a bluray they can mail you then why can't they have that same movie for rent via internet download?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #230
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I gave netflix a shot. My conclusion is? You gotta be kidding me. Their instant watching movie selection is a joke. I cancelled that nonsense a couple of days after activating it. I just do not undersand that. If netflix has a bluray they can mail you then why can't they have that same movie for rent via internet download?
Ask the studios. They control what content can be delivered digitally and what format it can be in. Netflix has no control over that.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #231
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Because Netflix doesn't own the movies. They only license copies of them to rent, from the owners of the movies (the production companies and/or distributors of the movies). Those copyright owners have the right to determine the best distribution strategy for the movie, to be serve their own interests. It would be patently illegal for Netflix, or anyone, to essentially make a Blu-ray Disc available for streaming or download, if that isn't what the production company and/or distributor of the movie has given permission for.

One other note: I think Watch Instantly is ostensibly considered as a bonus for Netflix subscribers, accompanying their disc rental. While eventually they envision it replacing disc distribution, that's not the way things are now.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #232
jstrazz
Jstrazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The problem with powerline adapters is they don't work when the power goes out (duh) and they can't be connected to a UPS. With my current setup I could technically continue streaming Netflix even if the power goes out, though my TV would quickly drain the UPS.
Most UPSs are not designed for watching TV when the power goes out. They're designed to give uninterrupted power during a brief power interruption. If your UPS is draining too quickly, then you need a bigger UPS. However, you still need to shut down your equipment if your power goes out and does not come back quickly.
jstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #233
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post
Most UPSs are not designed for watching TV when the power goes out. They're designed to give uninterrupted power during a brief power interruption. If your UPS is draining too quickly, then you need a bigger UPS. However, you still need to shut down your equipment if your power goes out and does not come back quickly.
I've never had a problem powering the eight HD sets I've owned and a couple of old Tube TVs with a UPS. I get several hours of runtime and have never had any problems.

All my electronics are on a UPS so I can watch TV or be online for at least several hours during a power outage.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #234
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've never had a problem powering the eight HD sets I've owned and a couple of old Tube TVs with a UPS. I get several hours of runtime and have never had any problems.

All my electronics are on a UPS so I can watch TV or be online for at least several hours during a power outage.
If you're on Fios, your internet service (and I believe the TV service) will not stay up during a power outage -- the Fios battery backup only powers the phone line. You could still watch stuff already recorded on the Tivo, but I don't think you could be online.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #235
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrazz View Post
I'm not using my UPS to watch TV when the power goes out, though I do have the TV plugged into the UPS to give me time to shut things down properly.

That main purpose of the UPS is to keep things like the TiVo and my router running during a power outage. During a normal power outage, cable TV continues to work as does Internet since my modem is also plugged into a UPS.

So, assuming the power outage doesn't last more than about an hour, I can stay online using my laptop and not lose any recordings.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #236
bowlingblogger

Quote:
For those having problems with a wireless connection, going wired or at least with the powerline adapters may help.
I was having trouble streaming HD over wireless and tried the same powerline adapter, but nothing improved. I had to run an ethernet cable to get the "Retrieving" issues to go away.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #237
slngsht

I watched a couple movies last night, and everything ran just fine right up until the tivo dumped to the main menu for no reason about five times. It would resume where I was in the movie no problems, but still, that was like
Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #238
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
I watched a couple movies last night, and everything ran just fine right up until the tivo dumped to the main menu for no reason about five times. It would resume where I was in the movie no problems, but still, that was like
What's your setup like? Wireless? Powerline? MoCA?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #239
stuck23235

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
If you're on Fios, your internet service (and I believe the TV service) will not stay up during a power outage -- the Fios battery backup only powers the phone line. You could still watch stuff already recorded on the Tivo, but I don't think you could be online.
Put the battery b/u on a UPS. I can keep my internet (and VoIP phone) up for hours if needed.
stuck23235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #240
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
My FIOS connection(Internet and TV, I dumped my landline from FIOS last year) is good for between 15 and 20 hours during a power outage. ALL my electronic devices are on a UPS. From my FIOS ONT(the FIOS BBU is connected to an APC UPS with an extended runtime battery) to my SVS subwoofer, to my Denon Receiver, to all my TiVos, to all my PCs, to all my TVs, to my alarm clocks, to my Xbox 360s, etc.
All my electronic devices can be in use during a power outage from several hours to 20 hours depending on the device and the UPS it's connected to.

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-23-2009 at 12:42 PM.