TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #1831
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
Do tuner adapters allow TiVos to see VOD?
nope
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #1832
cpt09135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
Do tuner adapters allow TiVos to see VOD?
No, just channels that are using Switched Digital Video (SDV). Hopefully when/if a Tru2Way Tivo comes out we can view VOD.
cpt09135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #1833
BenderSD1
Soulless Land Whale

Just moved to Las Vegas and had Cox Cable installed. They came out on Saturday and set up my Series 3. I had to explain to the guy that the Series 3 needed 2 cards regardless of the type. Aside from that, everything went smoothly.

The next day I realized I wasn't getting any HD channels other than the major networks. I called up Cox thinking that I hadn't asked for the HD package, but they said I should be getting them. Reboots and a few attempts on their side, and still no HD. So they rolled a truck today.

This tech was pretty knowledgable (I still had to explain about the Series 3, though). He brought 2 cable cards with him and swapped out the first one. We waited for it to upgrade, and then he paired it. It worked, the HD channels were now coming in.

He then repeated with the second cable card, but no luck. The second one didn't show the HD channels. He left and came back a bit later with another card, but this one had a physical issue and wouldn't insert properly into the TiVo. So he's scheduled to come back again tomorrow.

I was trying to figure out the difference between the installation that worked and the ones that didn't. We did notice that, for the one that worked, when he plugged in the card, the upgrade went to completion before the card info screen popped up automatically. For the ones that didn't work, I'm pretty sure the info screen popped up before the upgrade was complete. It's either that, or the tech attempted to pair the card before the upgrade completed.

Hopefully he'll bring a bunch of cards tomorrow and it'll work.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #1834
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I know there is a few folks here in my area, does anyone know if Cox offers M-Cards in RI? I am about to add a tivohd. I have a series3 that is running great with 2 s cards.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #1835
jleach8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I know there is a few folks here in my area, does anyone know if Cox offers M-Cards in RI? I am about to add a tivohd. I have a series3 that is running great with 2 s cards.
Hey

Cox is coming out to my house with cards for the 2 TivoHDs I recently bought. The rep told me they were m-cards. I'll let you know what happens. I'll also tell Mandar you say hi

-Jamie
jleach8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #1836
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleach8 View Post
Hey

Cox is coming out to my house with cards for the 2 TivoHDs I recently bought. The rep told me they were m-cards. I'll let you know what happens. I'll also tell Mandar you say hi

-Jamie
I just moved to North Kingstown. Tivo is shipping me 2 TivoHD's. Should be here Thursday! I called Cox, but the salesman didn't know if the cards were S or M (he admitted he didn't know what that meant). Please let me know if you actually received the M cards, so I can tell him how many to bring.

Thanks,

-Rodney
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #1837
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleach8 View Post
Hey

-Jamie
lol, awesome. give Mandar a kick instead.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #1838
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

I am having my TiVo HD RMA'ed this week. Will I need a truck-roll to pair the M-Card with new TiVo HD?
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #1839
kevintheoman

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderSD1 View Post
Just moved to Las Vegas and had Cox Cable installed. They came out on Saturday and set up my Series 3. I had to explain to the guy that the Series 3 needed 2 cards regardless of the type. Aside from that, everything went smoothly.

The next day I realized I wasn't getting any HD channels other than the major networks. I called up Cox thinking that I hadn't asked for the HD package, but they said I should be getting them. Reboots and a few attempts on their side, and still no HD. So they rolled a truck today.

This tech was pretty knowledgable (I still had to explain about the Series 3, though). He brought 2 cable cards with him and swapped out the first one. We waited for it to upgrade, and then he paired it. It worked, the HD channels were now coming in.

He then repeated with the second cable card, but no luck. The second one didn't show the HD channels. He left and came back a bit later with another card, but this one had a physical issue and wouldn't insert properly into the TiVo. So he's scheduled to come back again tomorrow.

I was trying to figure out the difference between the installation that worked and the ones that didn't. We did notice that, for the one that worked, when he plugged in the card, the upgrade went to completion before the card info screen popped up automatically. For the ones that didn't work, I'm pretty sure the info screen popped up before the upgrade was complete. It's either that, or the tech attempted to pair the card before the upgrade completed.

Hopefully he'll bring a bunch of cards tomorrow and it'll work.
I had a similar experience a couple months ago.

Somewhere on tivo's site (or on here maybe) is a how-to on not receiving channels. You basically go into tivo diagnostics and see if a channel is blocked or not.

Basically, Cox was blocking my non-network HD channels. They had the wrong channel lineup. Just took a lot of me trying to convince them they had the wrong lineup. Once convinced all they did is flash down the new information and everything was fine.

The original mistake is with how I ordered the service. I said "I want cablecard, digital service (with variety tier)." Needed to say "I want cablecard, digital service (with HD and variety tier)." Even though the HD is free.
kevintheoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #1840
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Well, I am on day 2 and counting with Cox and the cable cards. Yesterday, the installer brings an M card, and it seemed to be a smooth transaction. Put it in, and he paired it, and checked that we were getting channels, even the premium HD ones. I did NOT have him check every single channel, he selected about 5 channels and everything looked good.
Later in the afternoon, I noticed a grey screen on a channel. Then another. I counted 20 channels in the 700 numbering that I was not getting on TiVo. They were not premium channels, but ones like NFLHD, HGTV, , etc. I call Cox, they first send a signal to the card to make sure everything is open, but it doesn't fix the issue.
The original installer comes out to see what the issue is, but doesn't have any cards with him to swap out. They setup an appt. for Saturday (today). Saturday comes, and about 1/2 hour after the time range for the installer to be here, I call Cox, and they let me know he is running late (really?). Another hour goes by, then the doorbell rings.
This is a different installer, who has one M card, and he is set to replace it. He calls Cox, and they tell him that he cannot use that card. That is the only M card he has (What, are these things made of gold?). He does have two S cards in the truck. Out he goes, comes back in, and starts putting them both into the TiVo. I stop him, show him the instruction sheet that says you first put in 1, and after getting that to work you put in the next one. He doesn't really like me to tell him his job, I can tell. Anyway, the first card gives Cox an error at their end, and the 2nd card gives us an error on the Tivo, and now I have NO channels. He hangs up with Cox, and tells me that they will be back Monday, since he has no more cards. I said, can you just put the original M card back? He tells me no, that since it was taken off the account, it can no longer be used. I am now getting angry.
The phone rings. I answer it, and it is Cox, asking to speak to the installer. I say, sure, but first, I want him to put the original card in and pair it with the system, so at least I have some channels for the weekend. She says, okay. I hand him the phone, and he talks for a minute, and I hear him say, "We can put the old card back?"
They can, and they did. I am now back with everything working except for those 20 odd grey channels. TiVo keeps getting no signal on those channels. They will be back on Tuesday evening, and I asked them to bring a few M cards, not just one.

Why am I writing all this. Not just for catharsis, but also to ask a question: I feel if the next cards do not correct the error, they are going to point to the Tivo HD as being the problem. What do I do at that point?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to handle the situation at this point.

-Rodney
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #1841
Kershek

After all that, I would ask for a different installer (one that's not so difficult to work with, hopefully), and start over.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #1842
crazi4tv

Rodney

Click on or go to this link from the TiVo website:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gchannelissues

This will give you all the information you need to troubleshoot the issue with your cablecards.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #1843
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
Rodney

Click on or go to this link from the TiVo website:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gchannelissues

This will give you all the information you need to troubleshoot the issue with your cablecards.

Good luck.
Thanks very much for the link. Great info!

-Rodney
Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #1844
dmille6

Cox installation

hi,
the Cox technition just completed my TivoHD cable card.. i had to pay 55.00 for him to come insert a cable card, then call the main office to register it... something i could have easily done.. if that wasnt enough, after he installed it he then informed me cox doesnt support multi-cards so i had to rent two single cards a month 55.00 each, or just use one and only be able to watch or record 1 show at a time. i could use the cox cable box/dvr and be able to record two.

nothing i can do about it, and thats how the cable company is, but i am disappointed.
dmille6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #1845
tivocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmille6 View Post
hi,
the Cox technition just completed my TivoHD cable card.. i had to pay 55.00 for him to come insert a cable card, then call the main office to register it... something i could have easily done.. if that wasnt enough, after he installed it he then informed me cox doesnt support multi-cards so i had to rent two single cards a month 55.00 each, or just use one and only be able to watch or record 1 show at a time. i could use the cox cable box/dvr and be able to record two.

nothing i can do about it, and thats how the cable company is, but i am disappointed.

Are you sure it is 55 a month and not 50 for the truck roll and 5 each month for the single card. I pay 5 a month for each single. 55 a month seems a bit steep.
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #1846
Punker1234

I've called my local cox rep here in Santa Barbara and they charged $59 to install and $1.99 a month, and they do have multi-stream cards.

I have a quesiton though. Has anyone had luck with getting Cox to waive or credit the $59 back? Thats a bit steep!
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #1847
murraymh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmille6 View Post
hi,

That's BS...Cox here in San Diego does have M cards...mine was installed just over a year ago & it's been smooth sailing since then - they charge me $2 a mo for the card
murraymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #1848
hillstrubl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddeeds View Post
I am having my TiVo HD RMA'ed this week. Will I need a truck-roll to pair the M-Card with new TiVo HD?
shouldn't as the card is paired to your account, not the tivo itself
hillstrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #1849
philp3

I just had had my new Tivo HD setup with cox in Las Vegas. It's been pretty smooth so far. They inserted an M-Card.

One thing I wish I had asked the guy. He had to go outside and do something with the wiring outside before installing the card. Any idea what he had to do?

Did he put in some type of adapter or tuner?
philp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #1850
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
shouldn't as the card is paired to your account, not the tivo itself
This is incorrect the card is paired to the Tivo, so yes you will either need a truck roll or find a way to get to level 3 tech support
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #1851
lofar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker1234 View Post
I've called my local cox rep here in Santa Barbara and they charged $59 to install and $1.99 a month, and they do have multi-stream cards.

I have a quesiton though. Has anyone had luck with getting Cox to waive or credit the $59 back? Thats a bit steep!
Not in SB. They waived the fee once when they had to come out and replace a defective card. And once I managed to get them to re-pair a card over the phone to my tivo without a truck roll but that was like pulling teeth.
lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #1852
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by philp3 View Post
I just had had my new Tivo HD setup with cox in Las Vegas. It's been pretty smooth so far. They inserted an M-Card.

One thing I wish I had asked the guy. He had to go outside and do something with the wiring outside before installing the card. Any idea what he had to do?

Did he put in some type of adapter or tuner?
If it was anything like mine it had nothing to do with the card install itself. Apparently they're required to check the wiring when they make a service call, and stick a tag on to indicate the last time service was done. When my cable card was installed, the guy replaced some cable and a splitter, and got rid of an unneeded splitter.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #1853
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
If it was anything like mine it had nothing to do with the card install itself. Apparently they're required to check the wiring when they make a service call, and stick a tag on to indicate the last time service was done. When my cable card was installed, the guy replaced some cable and a splitter, and got rid of an unneeded splitter.
I wish my original installer had done that. There was a trap on my line, which was the issue I wasn't getting about 18 channels. Tooks 5 trips for them to figure it out.

BTW - I still don't get channels 764 and 765, which are Lifetime and Hallmark. They don't have a clue why, and since I don't watch those channels, it doesn't really affect me. Just upsetting not getting all the channels I pay for, and more upsetting that they cannot figure out why.

-Rodney
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #1854
roothack

I just got off the phone with Cox in Northern Virginia and the CSR says there cablecards only work with Series3 Tivo and not TIVO HD. I am unconvinced, and will probably call back later, but I was wonder if anyone has Cox in Northern VA hooked up to a Tivo HD
roothack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #1855
stevesogge

cox SD wants $75

Has anyone had any luck with trying to get Cox to lower or take off their fee? They want $75 to roll a truck to do 1 cablecard for my series 3. Needless to say this sorta negates the point of having one. Thanks.
stevesogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #1856
JimG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothack View Post
I just got off the phone with Cox in Northern Virginia and the CSR says there cablecards only work with Series3 Tivo and not TIVO HD. I am unconvinced, and will probably call back later, but I was wonder if anyone has Cox in Northern VA hooked up to a Tivo HD
Somebody told you wrong. I have Cox in Hampton Roads and have been using a cable card in my TivoHD for several months with no problems.

Jim
JimG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #1857
jcaudle

Cable card truck roll cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesogge View Post
Has anyone had any luck with trying to get Cox to lower or take off their fee? They want $75 to roll a truck to do 1 cablecard for my series 3. Needless to say this sorta negates the point of having one. Thanks.
The fees for truck rolls must vary widely around the country. Its $29.95 for them here in Cox Fairfax County in northern Va.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #1858
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesogge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
The fees for truck rolls must vary widely around the country. Its $29.95 for them here in Cox Fairfax County in northern Va.
It's $50 for Cox here in Orange County. I did get them to waive the fee a couple of months ago. I had to ask to speak with a supervisor, but when I pointed out that I am spending over $150 a month, he waived this fee, "just this one time."
av_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #1859
insane42

I waited forever and finaly bit the bullet. Cox in Phoenix was doing a free install thing for the week, so I took the plunge. Wasn't without its pain points, but we're up and running.
insane42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #1860
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothack View Post
I have both a Series 3 and TiVo HD in Fairfax. Call back and tell them you have a TiVo and need a Cable Card installation.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote