TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #4321
dulcinea

Update to Post #4313

So after reading all the recent posts about problems in the West Hollywood/LA area with the scrambled channels not showing, I called TWC last night to try and get someone out here next week to fix the problem, prepared to tell them about copy protection flag problem (I figured I'd only mention SDV & a tuning adapter if I was told the protection flag problem had been fixed and/or wasn't an issue in my area). Not only did the tech know about the issue, but - surprise! - informed me I had a service call with a supervisor scheduled for today. Nice of them to give me advance notice but hey, at least someone with the ability to get something done (hopefully) was coming out. I also checked to see if the problem had somehow magically been resolved, because sometimes the Blue Fairy really does intervene and all is well in the kingdom of TiVo.

Supervisor, accompanied by the tech who was here yesterday, just left; they spent about five minutes here because, lo and behold, the Blue Fairy, played today by someone on the tech desk the supervisor had asked to perform some work on my account, had intervened, and the problem was fixed. I apologized to the two men for having them come out for nothing, but reiterated that, as of last night, nothing had changed. The tech that came yesterday seemed a bit hot under the collar, but the supervisor stopped him, repeating the "advance work" statement. The supervisor also gave me his name and cell phone number, in case it went out again.

So, no tuning adapter needed, at least so far, which I guess also means no SDV, at least not yet, plus the bonus of a supervisor's cell phone number. Not a bad day, all in all, especially since I thought it would be Monday at the earliest that I would get my scrambled channels back. And still glad I found this thread, not only for the info I got on the current problem, but for possible future use as well, because if anyone can screw up a system that's working, it's Time Warner.

Have I mentioned that I hate Time Warner?

Last edited by dulcinea : 07-31-2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Corrected post # that was updated
dulcinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #4322
nikko11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko11 View Post
I called yesterday and the guy said that they had been getting a lot of calls. He said my case matched the specs of the others, and added my account to the list.

Called tonight, and they transfered me to (866-568-3215) which she stated was the number to deal with this particular issue.

Issue is "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider 1-888-888-88888"

They told me I need an SDV, and scheduled an appointment for saturday. (they offered as early as tomorrow, but I'm not available)

What part of SoCal are you in?

Ok, so the installer just left my place, and my service has been restored.
The installer said that he had been dealing with this issue all over the city.
He did NOT bring an SDV, but just a new cablecard (M card!) and replaced my two old cards. He went through the pairing process over the phone and within 10 minutes I was up and running again. He told me that they are still not using SDVs in this area.
nikko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #4323
weinesq

The same exact thing happened to me. Nobody at local TWC knew anything about adapters. Apparently the switch has happened other locations (Palmdale) but it hasn't changed here in los angeles... yet.

After fighting with tech supervisors, someone at TWC magically "fixed" the signal from the TWC central deathstar and suddenly I had all my channels back -- with no adapter.

I got a week's credit for the trouble but they should give me a life time free subscription for all the heartache they have caused and frustration!
weinesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #4324
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

About six months ago I received a postcard from TWC telling me I had to update my cable card info for their records. I filled out the postcard with all the info they requested and then a few weeks later I got another one. They probably couldn't read my hand writing since I have 4 cards and they only provided room for two. I ignored the second postcard and a few weeks later received a letter stating that if I didn't provide my cable card info I would lose service. I presumed this was in preparation for the switch to SDV. The letter gave me a link to provide the info online, which I did. I received two more letters and each time provided the info online. I guess having done that saved me from the mess others have experienced. The only change I have noticed so far is that most of the channels are now copy protected and MRV is mostly useless for anything I have recorded since last week. I know SDV has not been implemented here yet, but it supposedly has been in the West Valley. I hope the new DirecTiVo comes out soon because I can't wait to get away from TWC.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #4325
craigf

Playboy set to 0x03

I'm in West LA. Time Warner has added the 0x03 CCI byte to both Playboy (771) and Playboy en Espanol (772). I have monthly subscriptions to both. Shows are deleted 90 minutes after recording begins. Obviously, their customer service people don't have a clue what I am talking about.

Has anyone else who has experienced this issue made any headway?
craigf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #4326
arantius

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
...Finally (typing this during waits on hold on the phone) I got a supervisor to schedule a tech to come back (at no charge thanks to all the fuss) to install a cablecard AND tuning adapter. That's scheduled for Wednesday, I should be able to report how that goes in a few days.
Wednesday came and went, nobody came to my house though. Had to reschedule for Saturday. Tech came and went and, despite it being on his work order, did not bring a TA. Left me still unable to tune most of the HD channels, with a schedule for an "in house" tech to come today. That tech also did not bring the TA, though I explicitly asked for it when making the appointment. He basically did nothing but sit around my house for 90 minutes while we dealt with various support lines, which did nothing.

I called TWC again, and got another CSR and supervisor who claimed that I do not need, and they do not provide TAs. Quoted their site (article: "Why can't I view some channels on my TiVo Series3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL DVR using a CableCARD?") to her, and she said she'd have to check things and call me back. Didn't until I called back first. Now, says she doesn't know but won't make something up (progress!). Needs to talk to the "CAT" team tomorrow, they're not in today (Sunday).

Generally: little to no progress. I can't get most of my HD stations. TWC is generally not helpful. None of 3 different techs in my house could make it work, and I can't quite get a straight answer whether I need/can get a TA or not. Calling TiVo support gives a firm and clear "you need a tuning adapter" answer.
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #4327
dlfl
Cranky old novice

arantius,

Have you tried TiVo's "Cable Card Hotline" ?

Quote:
We have set up a hotline to help you with CableCARD installation, troubleshooting, and with any communications with your cable provider. This hotline is answered by agents who are specially trained in troubleshooting CableCARD issues. If the information in this article does not solve your issue, please give them a call.

Phone number: 866-986-8486

Hours of operation:
Monday - Sunday
6:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #4328
sdaredevil

Still not fixed in West LA

So I'm out in West LA also. I'm having the problem where you only get the over the air channels. The tech came out today and he seemed to know what he was doing, he checked all the cable card # against what they had in the system and told me it looks like they didn't have the "Data" number in the system which would prevent the card from working right. Unfortunately the Cablecard division is closed on Sunday. He did give me a local number for them so hopefully tomorrow I can call and give them the number myself.
sdaredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #4329
resing

Smile Time Warner San Antonio Partial Success

As of today, I have a working Tivo HD with Time Warner Cable in San Antonio.

When they exchanged my single stream cable card for a multistream used in conjuction with a tuning adapter, I'm getting all of the HD Channels I really need. A few are still missing, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of the wait on the phone for SCIHD and ESPNEWSHD which I don't even watch in non-hd.

HD Channels I am getting on both tuners include: Bravo, HGTV, Food Network, ESPN, MTV and all locals.
resing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #4330
meredith760

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
I have a "tivo hd" which does have a small "series 3" logo printed on the front of the cablecard door (confusing of tivo to come out with that series name, but not quite always use it). The tech installed a multi-stream cablecard, and could get *some* channels, but not all of the channels I am supposed to get.

I called tivo to get an RMA, and they informed me both that it should work, and that it is federally mandated for cable providers to offer *working* cablecards. He extended by money back trial period to give me time to fight with time warner.

So I called back to schedule a second try. The person I got on the phone said flatly, "Time Warner doesn't support TiVos", even after I explained the "federally mandated" bit. I asked to speak with his supervisor.

The supervisor told me, unlike anyone before, that I could get a CableCARD for self install, or they could send a tech to my house to install it. Before they were forcing the tech install, with the charge for it.

This supervisor assured me it should be working. I asked this supervisor about the tuning adapter. He doesn't know what it is.

I can't remember anymore who, with all the people I've talked to on the phone and in person, and the people the tech in person talked to over the phone -- but I'm quite confident we're talking about SDV in the way here. There was mention of "dual" (later called "two way") technology being the problem. And that they were "working on it" but can't help me now.

Finally (typing this during waits on hold on the phone) I got a supervisor to schedule a tech to come back (at no charge thanks to all the fuss) to install a cablecard AND tuning adapter. That's scheduled for Wednesday, I should be able to report how that goes in a few days.

The exact same thing happened to my Series 3 HD. I am in the Los Feliz area and serviced by Eagle Rock. After a very long frustrating week of calls and in-store appearances, and A LOT of mis-information, a tech is coming out to install 2 new cable cards on Thursday. After hearing for months from TW that they will not provide cable cards with the 2-way communication capability, magically now they do. They also informed me today service techs do not carry tuning adapters and will not deliver them to your house. I learned this after setting up an appointment for someone to do just that and them arriving at my house today empty-handed and 2 hours late.

I could strangle TW Cable. When my cable cards were first installed it took 3 techs to follow the on-screen directions and make a phone call. I have very little confidence this transition will happen smoothly on Thursday.

Also, no letters. No warning. Nothing. I will however be reimbursed for 2 weeks of lost service on my next TW bill. It's a small consolation for an infuriating week.

If anyone has direct numbers for helpful service people and technicians, please let me know.
meredith760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #4331
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith760 View Post
The exact same thing happened to my Series 3 HD. I am in the Los Feliz area and serviced by Eagle Rock. After a very long frustrating week of calls and in-store appearances, and A LOT of mis-information, a tech is coming out to install 2 new cable cards on Thursday. After hearing for months from TW that they will not provide cable cards with the 2-way communication capability, magically now they do. They also informed me today service techs do not carry tuning adapters and will not deliver them to your house. I learned this after setting up an appointment for someone to do just that and them arriving at my house today empty-handed and 2 hours late.

I could strangle TW Cable. When my cable cards were first installed it took 3 techs to follow the on-screen directions and make a phone call. I have very little confidence this transition will happen smoothly on Thursday.

Also, no letters. No warning. Nothing. I will however be reimbursed for 2 weeks of lost service on my next TW bill. It's a small consolation for an infuriating week.

If anyone has direct numbers for helpful service people and technicians, please let me know.
I just want to make sure you are not disappointed. Cable cards have the ability to ENABLE 2way communication as long as the HOST (TIVO) they are plugged into has the ability to communicate in 2way. This seems to be part of a lot of confusion & when they are telling you that they do not provide a 2way card that is the truth. They provide a card that has the ability to ENABLE 2way communication as long as the HOST it is plugged into is 2way.
Grumock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #4332
Stone1555
./1337

fyi as grumock stated, it depends on the host and tivo is not 2way capable
Stone1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #4333
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

Had a very bad experience today.

TWC-Clarksburg rolled a truck to install to S cards. I wasn't here, my wife was. She trusted the tech (!) to install the cards. We now receive nothing about channel 50.

TWC claims the cards are paired. When I look at the information on screen, it says that I should call the cable company to activate the service.

We get grey screens - nothing.

Tech is supposed to return Thursday.

Any thoughts? I'm going to research this more later, but am tired and grumpy now.
robertgp124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #4334
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Did you have a Tuning Adapter (TA) installed also? This is required if they are using switched digital video (SDV). If so try powering it down for 30 secs and disconnecting the USB cable between the TA and the TiVo. Then pwer up the TA, wait for a while, then reconnect the USB cable. Wait for the green light on the TA to stop blinking and be steady on.

Installation schedulers and installers frequently know almost nothing about CableCARD's and TA's, or whether you need them. Ask them if they have SDV channels. If so, you need the TA.

It's quite possible they just haven't done all the pairing and authorizing needed by your mCard too.

Good luck!

and
Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #4335
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

Quote:
Did you have a Tuning Adapter (TA) installed also? This is required if they are using switched digital video (SDV). If so try powering it down for 30 secs and disconnecting the USB cable between the TA and the TiVo. Then pwer up the TA, wait for a while, then reconnect the USB cable. Wait for the green light on the TA to stop blinking and be steady on.

Installation schedulers and installers frequently know almost nothing about CableCARD's and TA's, or whether you need them. Ask them if they have SDV channels. If so, you need the TA.

It's quite possible they just haven't done all the pairing and authorizing needed by your mCard too.
No I don't believe we have SDV, and it's two S cards, not M cards. TWC doesn't seem able to do M cards at the moment.

I'm stuck at the moment with MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY in the Conditional Access field. Also my host validation status is unknown 11. I have a bad feeling that this is a TWC problem...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #4336
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I don't feel quite as bad now. TWC in my region said they only had s-cards too, so I'm paying for two of them, $2.54/mo. per card, FYI.

There are many reported instances of customers being able to get CableCARD's authorized and paired over the phone (without an installer). Since you've already paid your "truck-roll" dues, I wonder if it would be worth calling them and pressuring them to do that, instead of waiting till they roll another truck?

and
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #4337
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
There are many reported instances of customers being able to get CableCARD's authorized and paired over the phone (without an installer). Since you've already paid your "truck-roll" dues, I wonder if it would be worth calling them and pressuring them to do that, instead of waiting till they roll another truck?
I called Tivo. They conferenced in TWC, and while I still don't have it resolved, the support person escalated my complaint. Instead of rescheduling another appointment, he changed the status to "work not complete" which he says should prompt a call and visit tomorrow.

TWC insists it's paired. I'm skeptical, but since TWC is going to attempt to get a tech out tomorrow, I'll go with that for now (they had originally proposed Thursday). While I'm furious with TWC right now, I do tech support myself. It's tough. Locally, I've seen TWC-Clarksburg customer service in action before and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Until tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #4338
TracerBullet

Anyone with Time Warner in Queens with no audio on HGTV HD? I first noticed it two days ago. All other channels are fine.

Even if not, anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I've never seen anything like this. I'm at a total loss.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #4339
JimWall

I once had problems and after 3 techs had come out it was fixed. It was a breeze with 3rd guy. He said it depends on who you get back in the office to do the pairing. Problem often are people back in the office not pairing things correctly or a typo with SN/Host ID. I guess that since cable cards are not two way; TWC people in office don't get a message back from card letting them know that pairing didn't work properly.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #4340
tripmaster

One cable card is dead.. but which one?!?
Hi all - one of my cable cards died as only 1 tuner gets anything; the other tuner only gets broadcast channels - but from going through the menus they both seem to be active. I no longer see EMM Count, etc anywhere - I upgraded to M cards on my S3 bc I heard here that they are more reliable.

TWCNYC is coming tomorrow. I'd like him to only pull one card but I dont have faith he can figure out which one is live and which one is hobbled. Can someone advise?One cable card is dead.. but which one?!?
Hi all - one of my cable cards died as only 1 tuner gets anything; the other tuner only gets broadcast channels - but from going through the menus they both seem to be active. I no longer see EMM Count, etc anywhere - I upgraded to M cards on my S3 bc I heard here that they are more reliable.

TWCNYC is coming tomorrow. I'd like him to only pull one card but I dont have faith he can figure out which one is live and which one is hobbled. Can someone advise?
tripmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #4341
dlfl
Cranky old novice

tripmaster,

I've heard of double-posting, but usually it's in separate threads rather than in a single post!

Can't you tell from DVR Diagnostics? Isn't there a listing for Tuner 0 and another for Tuner 1 ? I would assume 0 is the first CC slot, etc.

and
Old 08-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #4342
robertgp124
Ordinary Member

I'm still having issues. I get a few digital channels (hd, local hd affiliates) but very little on analog over channel 40. TWC called several times today, was very pleased about that. Got a terrific person from the national cable card support center for TWC and she got the cards to the subscribed status, but all the channels still aren't coming through.

She considered TA - but we're not doing switched video yet. She's suspicious of signal strength and told me to have the tech call with some readings. So we're due for a truck roll on Monday now.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #4343
dwgsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgp124 View Post
I'm still having issues. I get a few digital channels (hd, local hd affiliates) but very little on analog over channel 40.
You may want to ask TWC to verify that your account is enabled to receive digital cable channels.

When I first ordered a cable card (in my case a M-card) I told the customer service rep that I did not need a digital cable box. After my M-card was installed I noticed that I did not receive all of the digital channels. I later learned that TWC Rochester's system will not allow the rep to enable digital channels unless the customer is also provided with a digital cable box. Note that this is an administrative issue; the customer does not have to actually hook up the box to the cable. Once I agreed to take possession of a digital cable box, they were able to enable all of the digital channels.

Fortunately the digital box is free. I currently have it hooked up to a spare TV in my basement.

/Don
dwgsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #4344
waldrondigital

My install was flawless!

My recipe for a flawless install. YMMV!

Right after I purchased my TiVo, I figured I better do some reading to see the best approach when calling customer service, what to ask for, etc. This thread was very helpful in getting me up to speed with Scards, Mcards, Tuning Adaptors, etc. Also it scared the crap out of me that I wouldn't have a working configuration without 3-12 installer visits and divine intervention. But I wanted my TiVo...

I called Time Warner last week and told them that I recently purchased a TiVo HD and that I would like to be able to watch and record simultaneously. I suggested to the rep that this involved either an M-card or (2) S-cards. She said M-cards were available in my area. At the same time I asked if SDV was deployed in my area and if I needed a tuning adapter. The rep was knowledgeable and said the installer would provide an M-card and a tuning adapter.

Between this call and my install I made sure that I went way beyond the intial TiVo setup. I made sure to manually outcall a number of times until I had the latest firmware (11d as of this writing, shipped with 9.4 I believe). I basically forced calls over and over for 4 hours while it did it's thing and eventually I had everything up to date. Even the Netflix streaming was working at this point...

My installation window came this morning between 9a-12p. I have always had great luck with TW installers, they are always pretty pleasant guys. My rep showed at 10a and said that he was waiting for his supervisor to arrive with the M-card and TA. About 30 minutes later to my surprise both a supervisor, my original installer and yet another installer came back to take care of business.

20 minutes later they had everything activated and low and behold - EVERYTHING WORKS! The supervisor had clearly done these before and was teaching the junior guy what was involved. One note is it took a few minutes and a reboot to get the TA synced. I have a Cisco unit.

Just so you know it's not all fire, brimstone and bad news with TiVo and Time Warner Cable.

I'm in Woodland Hills, CA (Los Angeles County) serviced by the West Hills (Chatsworth) Time Warner Office. We are a native TW area, not an Adelphia add-in post merger.

AMENDED: I will add that I had existing TW equipment prior to my TiVo install (been a customer for years and years), and ended up keeping a SA8300 which the TiVo replaced, in my bedroom. I know people with only a TiVo and new service had reported issues with not receiving digital tiers due to not having auxilary boxes. Something to do with how the account was setup at the TW backend.. blah blah

Last edited by waldrondigital : 08-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
waldrondigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #4345
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Welcome to the forum waldrondigital and thanks for the post.

Congratulations on your smooth install!

How much is the monthly rental on your m-card ? TWC told me they didn't have m-cards and I'm paying a total of $5.08/mo for 2 s-cards. Not a major issue but just curious.....

and
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #4346
waldrondigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Welcome to the forum waldrondigital and thanks for the post.

Congratulations on your smooth install!

How much is the monthly rental on your m-card ? TWC told me they didn't have m-cards and I'm paying a total of $5.08/mo for 2 s-cards. Not a major issue but just curious.....
Tell you what when I get my bill I will be sure to update the post with all the various costs. I didn't ask on my initial call!
waldrondigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #4347
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Thats interesting.. the guy in Cable Card Tech for TWC told me that installers could not get TAs and they had to be mailed directly to the customer.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #4348
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I know a number of folks, including me, have had the TA's brought by the installers. Others in my area have picked them up at a TWC store too. I think their procedures are helter skelter and vary with service area and over time.

and
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #4349
e8link

Anyone here know what error message 161-52 means? I intermittently have been receiving this error message on my Tivo HD box.

I called Time Warner tech support, who transferred me to National Cablecard Support...they said something about the reader going bad and to contact Tivo. I contacted Tivo support who said it's a problem with the cablecard and to have a new one installed.

I believe Time Warner probably knows their system/error codes pretty well, but I'm wondering how other people have had this problem resolved.
e8link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #4350
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Over the past month or so, I've received two letters from TWC explaining (in the EXACT same words) the switch to SDV, with a list of channels.

The confusing thing is, while both letters explain everything about SDV the same, they list DIFFERENT channels. The most recent letter lists channels that are almost exclusively pay channels (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc.).

So, which letter is correct? Both combined? The most recent?
PumiceT is offline   Reply With Quote