TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #31
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post
How reliable are the images made with MFS?
I've never had a problem with them. My TX20 image was made with WinMFS and I've never heard anyone complain that it didn't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
tahoejoe

Thanks again. When I find a good deal on an EIDE HD, I'll restore the backup and test it out on the RSTX20. I really don't use the RSTX20 that much ( I keep it in standby most of the time) since I have a "free" High def dvr from cablevision.
tahoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #33
tahoejoe

I ordered a 320 GB Seagate hard drive ( good deals on PATA hard drives are getting difficult to find!). Rather than just restoring the image to the new HD, I'm thinking about copying the old drive to the new drive using WinMFS so I can retain the recordings on the old HD. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of in copying to a larger drive?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
tahoejoe

Looks like I have a problem. WinMFS hangs on Partition 10 at 4 bars on the progress meter. So I canceled out and deleted the format of the 320 GB drive. Tried to just restore the truncated image but I get "error writing media inode 0" So I assume that there is a problem with the backup from the original 120 GB drive. When I try to select the 320 drive after the restore, I get Error number 9 Error reading from zone map. Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #35
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm not really an WinMFS expert ... you could try their forums. My suggestion would be to try and take another backup of the original drive. Or, if you can have both drives attached at the same time, I think you can do a copy/expand directly from disk-to-disk (it's been a while since I've done this).

|
Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #36
tahoejoe

Tried a backup I did last week and one I did today as well. Also tried the direct copy of the whole drive.

I did post in their forum as well. I also searched and found someone with the same problem who solved it by doing the restore on a different PC, so that may be my next try. Found another post through google that could not get past the problem and just ended up buying instant cake and that worked. I guess if the 2nd PC doesn't work and I can't find an image, instant cake will probably be the option I go with.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #37
ntsif

Toshiba RSTX20 image

My HDD went out (maxtor) - it just keep clicking. When I've try to use MFSLIve - PC wouldn't detect hard drive.
Can anybody help me with image file. Thanks in advance.
ntsif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #38
jza80

My first post...about my TX20 HDD failing...

...that recently started freezing at the "powering up" screen. It has been possible to restart it by unplugging it and repowering it but this is not a long term solution. I checked at a couple of tivo repair sites and it seems to be a symptom of HDD failing - the unit is about 4 years old - so I ordered a new HDD from weaknees, a 320GB was $139 and since they bothered to reply to my email questions I thought I would give them some business in return.

The HDD arrived yesterday, it came with a converter board for the
IDE cable and a new cable in addition to the drive. The drive itself seems to be in the original unopened anti static bag so I am wondering about the "image"...but I will find out in about an hour when I install the drive!
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #39
jza80

Update on my post from yesterday; I installed the new HDD that I ordered from weaknees, it turned out that they are shipping SATA drives as replacements for the original IDE unit. The daughterboard they supply is the interface between the SATA output and the IDE input of the TX20. Plugged right in and booted up with no issues whatsoever. The drive I received is a 320GB Western Digital "green" version. Its almost 3 times the size of the original 120GB HDD so I should never have to worry about running out of space on this unit!.

Now, I'm thinking about a second HDD for my S3 Tivo unit! That one, does sometimes get a bit full!

Last edited by jza80 : 08-23-2009 at 11:09 PM.
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #40
timtofly

Windracer;

Is Hard drive cloning for the Pioneer 810-H do-able through MFStools? Does any one have either the the Pioneer 810-H image or the Pioneer Elite DVR-57H?

Thanks!
timtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #41
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post
Is Hard drive cloning for the Pioneer 810-H do-able through MFStools?
My guess is yes, you can do that. I've never used an 810H though.

|
Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #42
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

I have images for both Pioneer TiVos, created with WinMFS from mfslive.org. But I'm not at my home computer right now, which has those images. I can send you a link when I get home later tonight.

Send me a PM to remind me to send you the images. I'll need your email address so I can send you a link.

Not sure what you mean by cloning. Do you want an exact bit for bit copy? or do you want to copy the TiVo software to a new drive and expand it to use the entire hard drive (HDD)?

If you want to do a bit for bit copy, then you need to use dd_rescue. This utility should be on an current mfs boot CD. Check out the MFSLive boot cd for the latest mfs tools.

If you want to do a TiVo software copy and expand, then you need either a mfs boot CD or WinMFS. Again, check out mfslive.org for the latest tools and tricks to update your TiVo, and to bring it back to life from a HDD failure.

Good luck,

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #43
Bimwad

Well, after being away, I found my TX-20 seems to have tried to reboot itself unsuccessfully, and now it's stuck with the "Welcome" message on the display, and with the drive making a repetitive clicking sound. I guess the average life of the OE drives is about four years.

I must have angered the CE gods, because my TV just croaked as well. Ugh.

If any kind soul out there can supply an image, it would be most appreciated. I already have some spare IDE drives and don't want to sink a lot of $ into an obsolete, albeit still useful box.

TIA.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #44
tirhoads

Image for RS-TX20

I have the same problem, my TX20's hard drive started acting up so I shut it down and bought a new hard drive. Even though the old hard drive imaged over alright, the new drive won't boot either, so I think the old drive just created a bad image.

If anyone has this image and would be willing to share, I would be deeply greatfull. I know I can get Instantcake, but with that $20 and the hard drive, I am almost up to a new Tivo in cost.
tirhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #45
raffitaffy

Hi,
I cross posted this with "dont' PM me", but as this is a hardware specific forum I though this would be appropriate.
I need a Tivo image Toshiba RS TX60. I read they are the same as the TX20s. I have seen FTP sites with many models, but not this. My current drive stutters, but is recognized by tivo. When I plug it into my sole IDE channel, it shows as a 163Gig drive, but according to winmfs, "not a tivo drive", so it can't be imaged. I tried master, slave and many jump pin settings. No go.It also won't mount in MFSLive or MFStools. Weird huh? Then when I put it back in the tivo, it works! I am waiting for a IDE/USB docking station to arrive, but my expectations are low.
Please help we find an image. I know i can pay $20, but maybe someone can help me.
Thanks Kindly
-RaffiTaffy
raffitaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #46
raffitaffy

Help with Tosihba RS TX 20 RS TX60

hi all,
I am following another request for this image in the hope that somebody decides to help. Please.
raffitaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #47
tahoejoe

Successful ugrade

My first image was corrupt, but I recently was able to make a successful image after using dd_rescue. ( see details at http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic....9&p=6030#p6220 ) For those looking for an image, I don't have any way to host it online so it can be downloaded. Can any of you host it or do any of you know of any free services that let you send a file that is close to 300 MB? Whale mail and you send it now require a pay account for files greater than 100 MB.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #48
Bimwad

Quote:
My first image was corrupt, but I recently was able to make a successful image after using dd_rescue. ( see details at http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic....9&p=6030#p6220 ) For those looking for an image, I don't have any way to host it online so it can be downloaded. Can any of you host it or do any of you know of any free services that let you send a file that is close to 300 MB? Whale mail and you send it now require a pay account for files greater than 100 MB.
Megaupload has a 500MB upload limit, but limits free users to 250MB per download, so the file would have to be split.

I've never used these, but they have upload limits in the GB range.

File Savr

File Drop

Thanks for sticking this out. This section is dead; I think everyone has moved on to HD and left these units behind.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #49
tahoejoe

Bimwad
I've had a heck of a time getting this to tirhoads. None of the free services worked and I've wasted a lot of time. I finally uploaded it to his home server. I'm willing to do that for you or to a server you give me access to, but I'm done with the free services. Otherwise, now that tirhoads has it, see if he can find a way to get it to you.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #50
tirhoads

Image for TX20

Bimwad
I was going to verify tonight that the image from tahoejoe came through OK (thank you so much) so that you don't waste your time. If it is good, I can PM you with my FTP server to download it.

Quote:
Bimwad
I've had a heck of a time getting this to tirhoads. None of the free services worked and I've wasted a lot of time. I finally uploaded it to his home server. I'm willing to do that for you or to a server you give me access to, but I'm done with the free services. Otherwise, now that tirhoads has it, see if he can find a way to get it to you.

tirhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #51
Bimwad

Thank you both for your efforts.

I have a 250MB limit on my personal FTP space, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested the host services at all.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #52
chauberry

Smile Disc image pretty please?

Is there a kind soul who can share any Toshiba RS-TX disc image with me? I have a dead one that I wanna replace with a spare HD I have. I would be soooo grateful! you can PM me a link or anything - thank you very much!

chau
chauberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #53
rx721

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauberry View Post
Is there a kind soul who can share any Toshiba RS-TX disc image with me? I have a dead one that I wanna replace with a spare HD I have. I would be soooo grateful! you can PM me a link or anything - thank you very much!

chau
same here i got 2 years with my and now is dead. thank please someone help me?
rx721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #54
Scott Atkinson

I don't want anything, but reading through this thread I DO want to say thank you to WR for supplying disc images to so many people.

Folks like WR make the Tivo what it is, pure and simple.

Best,

Scott A.
Watertown NY
Scott Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #55
windracer
joined the 10k club

Thanks for the kind words. There are a lot of other people who hang out in here too, though (you know who you are!).

I loved my TX20 while I had it, and it's still going strong working for my parents. I should have kept that image. Hopefully someone still has it and can pay-it-forward.

|
Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #56
MrZarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Thanks for the kind words. There are a lot of other people who hang out in here too, though (you know who you are!).

I loved my TX20 while I had it, and it's still going strong working for my parents. I should have kept that image. Hopefully someone still has it and can pay-it-forward.
Windracer,

I'm in a similar situation --- TX20 is starting to get "squirrely", and I'd love to burn a fresh image if I could get the file. I'd appreciate any help.....

Thanks!

MrZarf
MrZarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #57
astaticpunk

Can someone help me with an image for an RS-TX20
astaticpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #58
astaticpunk

Had the software but can't find it
astaticpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #59
tahoejoe

If anyone still wants an image, I have one, but I probably need someone to host it. I've been told that the free server system I uploaded it to is not the most reliable. If someone wants to give that server a try, PM me.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #60
nu542

Quote:
If anyone still wants an image, I have one, but I probably need someone to host it. I've been told that the free server system I uploaded it to is not the most reliable. If someone wants to give that server a try, PM me.
Do you still have an image you could upload to my server?

Also do you have a link on instructions on how to put an image on the Tivo? I've seen instructions on how to put the backup on, but if I download your image how do I restore that on my Tivo?

I can't PM you since I dont have 5 posts.

Maybe you can email me at jzanitro @ yahoo dot com
nu542 is offline   Reply With Quote