Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #4291
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post
Time Warner West Valley of L.A. on a Series 3. Getting lots of audio dropouts on many channels. Anyone know why or how to correct it?

Thanks, CB
Do you have a tuning adapter?

When you tune to a channel with problems, do you see frequently incrementing RS Uncorrected errors under Messages & Settings -> System Information -> DVR Diagnostics?

If this count is zero then supposedly the errors you see (hear) are in the delivered signal, i.e., your TiVo is doing the best it can given a poor signal. This is the common wisdom on this forum but I have a small amount of doubt about it. I suspect cable operators will push back if you try to tell them that.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #4292
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

When you tune to a channel with problems, do you see frequently incrementing RS Uncorrected errors under Messages & Settings -> System Information -> DVR Diagnostics?

If this count is zero then supposedly the errors you see (hear) are in the delivered signal, i.e., your TiVo is doing the best it can given a poor signal. This is the common wisdom on this forum but I have a small amount of doubt about it. I suspect cable operators will push back if you try to tell them that.
No tuning adapter. Haven't installed it yet.
I'll check the count and reply back. CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #4293
dlfl
Cranky old novice

How to determine SDV channels

Of course you can tell which channels are SDV by disconnecting the TA USB cable and seeing what channels are left. (The ones that went away were SDV.)

However it appears you also can get the information via the TiVo menus -- see this post.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-20-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #4294
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

My Tivo listed this in the DVR Diagnostic page:

RS uncorrected: 408
RS corrected: 2409

Does this mean the pixellation I am seeing is an issue with the relationship between my TiVo & tuning adapter and NOT the signal coming from TWC?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #4295
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post

Does this mean the pixellation I am seeing is an issue with the relationship between my TiVo & tuning adapter and NOT the signal coming from TWC?
The digital signal has extra bits that allow error correction in the TiVo tuner. This means there were 2409 errors (or maybe 2409 + 408) in the encoded signal and the error correction algorithm was able to correct all but 408 of them. Ideally both counts will be zero. If not that, hopefully the uncorrected count will be zero, which means the signal was completely corrected.

For non-zero counts it's actually the rate (errors per second) that indicates the relative amount of quality problems. There is a parameter in the Tuner diagnostics that is the total seconds the tuner has been on the current channel (can't remember the name right now but it's obvious).

I've never had uncorrected rates much greater than zero, so I can't tell you how bad is bad. However this post may be helpful.

and
Old 07-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #4296
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post

I am also in the Albany, NY area.

The DVR Diagnostics on my S3 show 0 for both RS Uncorrected and RS corrected.

I don't remember whether I have been using the S3 to record or watch any SDV recently, but in another room my roommate is still using a SA8300HD.

The SA8300HD locked up solid while watching a SDV channel last week and the only way we could get it back was to pull the power cord and then plug it back in.

After the reboot, the SA8300HD was able to view the same SDV channel again with no problems. This leads me to believe that TW may have had a head end problem for a while.

I don't know about SDV, but the S3 seems to have as much problem with too strong a cable signal as with too weak a signal.

If you want to compare our settings, you can contact me with a PM on the albanyhdtv.proboards.com site.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #4297
bobrt6676

Time Warner Line up change

To all In the Dayton market. TWC has posted a line-up change in the DDN today. ALL digital channels will be changing in August Lets hope Tivo will be on top of it!! They call it the Theme based line-up. An example SPORTS HD Theme stations:
ESPN 1301
ESPN2 1302
ESPNU 1303
ESPNNEWS 1305
FSN 1309 ETC.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #4298
JimWall

Cincinnati Enquirer also ran a similiar advertisement about new august digital lineup
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #4299
arantius

No HD!

Time Warner Cable, in Brooklyn New York.

The tech spent four hours in my home this afternoon. Only after that point did he get someone on the phone that confirmed I could not tune HD channels with my TiVo, save for 5 or so broadcast networks.

After the tech left, I called Time Warner's support. I had to mention tuning adapters myself, they wouldn't. They claimed all of:

1) They are not using switched digital video.
2) I have to get a tuning adapter to tune all the hd channels I am paying for with a Tivo.
3) They won't give me a tuning adapter.

I'm severely disappointed.
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #4300
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Welcome to the forum, arantius.

I can understand your disappointment.

The situation you describe makes me wonder if you are just getting analog cable service. Are you subscribed for digital cable service? If you just have analog service then you don't need cable cards or a TA (tuning adapter), and you will only receive unencrypted local stations in HD.

If you have digital service, you need one or two cable cards, either one m-card or two s-cards, which the cable co legally has to provide for a small rental charge. If you are supposed to get SDV channels, the cable company legally has to provide you a tuning adapter, usually at no charge. The typical Time Warner digital service has many SDV channels and the company is definitely furnishing the required cards and adapters.

You might want to scan the earlier posts in this thread. At least you will see you are not alone in having problems.

If you do need a TA you might want to scan the Time Warner Tuning Adapter thread also.

and
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #4301
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
1) They are not using switched digital video.
2) I have to get a tuning adapter to tune all the hd channels I am paying for with a Tivo.
3) They won't give me a tuning adapter.
Some thoughts:

Which TiVo do you have? If it is a series 1 or 2, you are not going to get any HD at all, ever. They don't do HD.

If they don't use switched digital video, you do not need a tuning adapter and, of course they won't give you one.

If you have a Series 3 (original or TiVo HD), you need one or two cable cards to get HD. Perhaps they are confusing cable cards with tuning adapters.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #4302
arantius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
Which TiVo do you have? If it is a series 1 or 2, you are not going to get any HD at all, ever. They don't do HD.

If they don't use switched digital video, you do not need a tuning adapter and, of course they won't give you one.

If you have a Series 3 (original or TiVo HD), you need one or two cable cards to get HD. Perhaps they are confusing cable cards with tuning adapters.
I have a "tivo hd" which does have a small "series 3" logo printed on the front of the cablecard door (confusing of tivo to come out with that series name, but not quite always use it). The tech installed a multi-stream cablecard, and could get *some* channels, but not all of the channels I am supposed to get.

I called tivo to get an RMA, and they informed me both that it should work, and that it is federally mandated for cable providers to offer *working* cablecards. He extended by money back trial period to give me time to fight with time warner.

So I called back to schedule a second try. The person I got on the phone said flatly, "Time Warner doesn't support TiVos", even after I explained the "federally mandated" bit. I asked to speak with his supervisor.

The supervisor told me, unlike anyone before, that I could get a CableCARD for self install, or they could send a tech to my house to install it. Before they were forcing the tech install, with the charge for it.

This supervisor assured me it should be working. I asked this supervisor about the tuning adapter. He doesn't know what it is.

I can't remember anymore who, with all the people I've talked to on the phone and in person, and the people the tech in person talked to over the phone -- but I'm quite confident we're talking about SDV in the way here. There was mention of "dual" (later called "two way") technology being the problem. And that they were "working on it" but can't help me now.

Finally (typing this during waits on hold on the phone) I got a supervisor to schedule a tech to come back (at no charge thanks to all the fuss) to install a cablecard AND tuning adapter. That's scheduled for Wednesday, I should be able to report how that goes in a few days.
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #4303
David Z

New cablecard problem

Hello All,
I have a 3 year old series 3 and have had my cablecards installed for the last year here in my neighborhood in West Hollywood, CA with Time Warner. Last night, my Tivo no longer brought in any channels (above 11) and after a couple minutes, would default to the cable card screen, telling me that I needed to contact my cable provider to activate my cable cards (both 1 and 2, alternately). Anyone know what might cause this? Even when I try to retry guided setup, entering the first screen dumps me out to the black cable card screen. I called TWC and they said there was nothing they could do from the central office, that they needed a guy to come out to take a look at the cable cards. I'm flummoxed, as these cablecards have been good to me the last year or so.

Thanks,
David
David Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #4304
nikko11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z View Post
Hello All,
I have a 3 year old series 3 and have had my cablecards installed for the last year here in my neighborhood in West Hollywood, CA with Time Warner. Last night, my Tivo no longer brought in any channels (above 11) and after a couple minutes, would default to the cable card screen, telling me that I needed to contact my cable provider to activate my cable cards (both 1 and 2, alternately). Anyone know what might cause this? Even when I try to retry guided setup, entering the first screen dumps me out to the black cable card screen. I called TWC and they said there was nothing they could do from the central office, that they needed a guy to come out to take a look at the cable cards. I'm flummoxed, as these cablecards have been good to me the last year or so.

Thanks,
David
I just had the same issue happen to me. East Hollywood, CA with Time Warner.

I haven't called them yet.
nikko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #4305
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
TWC in SoCal here, seems to be working fine. Just sharing another data point...
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #4306
nikko11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
TWC in SoCal here, seems to be working fine. Just sharing another data point...
I called yesterday and the guy said that they had been getting a lot of calls. He said my case matched the specs of the others, and added my account to the list.

Called tonight, and they transfered me to (866-568-3215) which she stated was the number to deal with this particular issue.

Issue is "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider 1-888-888-88888"

They told me I need an SDV, and scheduled an appointment for saturday. (they offered as early as tomorrow, but I'm not available)

What part of SoCal are you in?

Last edited by nikko11 : 07-29-2009 at 11:09 PM.
nikko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #4307
jhernandez86

I am in Culver City, and I am having the same issue, and twc cust service has no idea how to settle this issue.
jhernandez86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #4308
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,
David
I believe that message is telling you that your cablecards are not paired with the TiVo and/or not authorized properly in the TWC billing system.

I believe if you go into the cablecard screens you will see 'Waiting CP Auth' meaning that the cards are not being authorized by TWC.

You will likely have to have a service call to get your cards authorized properly or give them the Host and Cablecard ID's over the phone so they can do it remotely. I believe Ive read that TWC has a unique CableCard desk to deal with issues.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #4309
beamdog

This is a repost from: TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
Symptoms of a secret switch to SDV?
07-28-2009 (with an update)

On Tuesday evening (July 21) on turned on my system to discover that many, but not all, of my cable channels could not be tuned and showed the grey cablecard pairing screen. Instead of calling TWC, I tried the on-line chat method. (don't waste your time with this approach)

After doing the obligatory cycle power/reboot on my twin cablecard Series 3 the guy at the other end of the chat told me that according to his system there were "some outages in my area" I'm guessing that this is the standard these guys tell customers to get them to go away.

TWC's website indicated that a transcript of my chat would be sent to my email address. . . and it was not.

On the next evening, seeing that these channel were still out, I tried again.
I on-line chatted with a different guy. (I would tell you his name, but they didn't send me the transcript of my second chat) He said that he was not aware of any system changes that might cause this problem, but would be able to set up a field call and the soonest Saturday they could see me would be August 8th

Eventually I would decide to take time off from work to address this issue and a guy showed up at my home on Thursday July 23rd (between 10 and 12)

He came in, poked around my TiVo for a bit, got on the phone to talk with a supervisor and in a few minutes, I was seeing the channels I had been missing.

I asked him what he did and he said nothing. It was all up to the guy on the other end of the phone. He also said that he had been dealing with this same problem all week. Something to do with a system-wide update. This problem that neither of the guys I chatted with had heard of. The fix to this problem didn't require someone coming to my house or me taking time off from my job.

Oh well, problem solved right?

Wrong.

It seems the guys that worked on my cablecards only applied the fix to one of them.
So I have one cablecard that tunes all the channels and I have one cablecard that tunes some of the channels.

This time I got on the phone.

Couldn't someone at TWC put me through to a technician in my area and he could do exactly what he did my working cablecard to the other one.

Nope. That is not how it works at TWC. They are not even sure what I am talking about. They don't have the transcripts of the two online chats i had with them.
They don't know anything about the cause and resultant fix in there system. All they can do is set up another appointment and roll another truck.

This one is for Wednesday August 1st. Between 10 and 12.

The tech showed up early and spent several hours tinkering with my TiVo while trying to get help from home base. (for some strange reason, they are really busy)

At 11:30 i had to call it quits because i needed to get to work. when i left my home, neither cablecard was tuning channels correctly. The Tech promised that he would return the next day (Thursday) and try again to resolve the problem.

I got a call later in the day to say that the time for the return visit had been moved from 8AM to after 10AM.

Around 10:30 Thursday morning the Tech returns with 2 more cablecards (i lost track of the number of S and M cards he tried on Wednesday)

He explained that the reason he was late was that they had used a Tivo back at the office to configure the cards to my account before bringing them to my home.

He installed and tested them and within 20 minutes he was done.

A few things i learned along the way:

Customers with Series 3 and TiVo HD should have received letters in the mail alerting us to this to this situation and instructing how to respond.

Clearly this didn't happen.

The system update was designed to add copy protection flags to most of the channels so that some cablecard users would not be able to view channels that they haven't paid for. (this is what i was told)

On a system that used to have few copy flags, most channels now have them.

I live in Los Angeles and my headend is Eagle Rock.

If you have also been dealing with this issue please post your experiences.
beamdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #4310
sdaredevil

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,
David
Same problem here in West LA, CA. I hope it's just a copy protection thing and not SDV.
sdaredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #4311
weinesq

The end of the cable card

West Hollywood, CA July 30 1am. SO...I wasn't receiving channels but I didn't realize it for a few days because I have been working so much. So I called the techs and the guy said "oh yea you have received several letters about the fact we changed the signals for the cable cards (or some tech talk) and you need an adapter." I swore up and down I never received word but he seemed to not care a bit. So he set up an appt to have a tech come put the adapter in for free. Basically it will be the cable box but it is tweaked so it only has one way signal and the cable cards will work to decode the signal. The video will run from the "adapter" to the tivo he explained. There is some copyright issue involved in the reason they had to change the signals.

He also told me I could go to a local store and ask for the adapter. Another tech this morning told me the same thing before I headed off to the store. The tech read me part of the letter that I was supposed to have received about the whole issue. The letter stated that an adapter was the only way to get any Cable cards working after July 30th.

At the store..."no we don't carry them - you have to have a tech deliver and install". Only the Eagle Rock store has the adapters but are not allowed to give them out to Los Angeles city customers.

So now I have an appt for the adapter. Forgive me for not seeing it-- but if you have the adapter already -- does it work??

Mine is being installed Fri am. I will update then.

Last edited by weinesq : 07-30-2009 at 08:50 PM.
weinesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #4312
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Welcome to the forum, weinesq.

What you are getting is a "Tuning Adapter" (TA) so you can tune switched digital video (SDV) channels. This topic is heavily covered on this forum.

For example:
1. The SDV sticky thread at the top of the forum.

2. The Time Warner Tuning Adapter thread (I believe you have TWC).

Search this forum on Tuning Adapter and SDV for more info.

You can still receive non-SDV channels without an adapter. On my TWC system about a third of the channels I am subscribed to are SDV. But the trend is to more SDV channels as they want to cram more HD channels into limited bandwidth.

and
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #4313
dulcinea

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamdog View Post
This is a repost from: TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
Symptoms of a secret switch to SDV?
07-28-2009 (with an update)

On Tuesday evening (July 21) on turned on my system to discover that many, but not all, of my cable channels could not be tuned and showed the grey cablecard pairing screen. Instead of calling TWC, I tried the on-line chat method. (don't waste your time with this approach)

After doing the obligatory cycle power/reboot on my twin cablecard Series 3 the guy at the other end of the chat told me that according to his system there were "some outages in my area" I'm guessing that this is the standard these guys tell customers to get them to go away.

TWC's website indicated that a transcript of my chat would be sent to my email address. . . and it was not.

On the next evening, seeing that these channel were still out, I tried again.
I on-line chatted with a different guy. (I would tell you his name, but they didn't send me the transcript of my second chat) He said that he was not aware of any system changes that might cause this problem, but would be able to set up a field call and the soonest Saturday they could see me would be August 8th

Eventually I would decide to take time off from work to address this issue and a guy showed up at my home on Thursday July 23rd (between 10 and 12)

He came in, poked around my TiVo for a bit, got on the phone to talk with a supervisor and in a few minutes, I was seeing the channels I had been missing.

I asked him what he did and he said nothing. It was all up to the guy on the other end of the phone. He also said that he had been dealing with this same problem all week. Something to do with a system-wide update. This problem that neither of the guys I chatted with had heard of. The fix to this problem didn't require someone coming to my house or me taking time off from my job.

Oh well, problem solved right?

Wrong.

It seems the guys that worked on my cablecards only applied the fix to one of them.
So I have one cablecard that tunes all the channels and I have one cablecard that tunes some of the channels.

This time I got on the phone.

Couldn't someone at TWC put me through to a technician in my area and he could do exactly what he did my working cablecard to the other one.

Nope. That is not how it works at TWC. They are not even sure what I am talking about. They don't have the transcripts of the two online chats i had with them.
They don't know anything about the cause and resultant fix in there system. All they can do is set up another appointment and roll another truck.

This one is for Wednesday August 1st. Between 10 and 12.

The tech showed up early and spent several hours tinkering with my TiVo while trying to get help from home base. (for some strange reason, they are really busy)

At 11:30 i had to call it quits because i needed to get to work. when i left my home, neither cablecard was tuning channels correctly. The Tech promised that he would return the next day (Thursday) and try again to resolve the problem.

I got a call later in the day to say that the time for the return visit had been moved from 8AM to after 10AM.

Around 10:30 Thursday morning the Tech returns with 2 more cablecards (i lost track of the number of S and M cards he tried on Wednesday)

He explained that the reason he was late was that they had used a Tivo back at the office to configure the cards to my account before bringing them to my home.

He installed and tested them and within 20 minutes he was done.

A few things i learned along the way:

Customers with Series 3 and TiVo HD should have received letters in the mail alerting us to this to this situation and instructing how to respond.

Clearly this didn't happen.

The system update was designed to add copy protection flags to most of the channels so that some cablecard users would not be able to view channels that they haven't paid for. (this is what i was told)

On a system that used to have few copy flags, most channels now have them.

I live in Los Angeles and my headend is Eagle Rock.

If you have also been dealing with this issue please post your experiences.
So glad I came over to read this thread. I live in Los Angeles, Westlake District to be exact, and I have TWC, of course. I've also been have having *exactly* the problem you describe, only this is my second go-round.

I have an HD TiVo w/ THX. When the first tech came - this was back in April - with the CableCARDs, he said they were really hard to get hold of, that they had them on back-order for both Single Stream and Multi-Stream. He spent about two hours trying to get them installed, and left saying they were going to finish the job from the tech end and my cards would be up and running in about two hours. One of the cards worked perfectly; the other would only bring in non-scrambled channels.

After three service calls and being told there was a "known problem" in my area, I was told I'd have to wait till they fixed said problem, and someone would be giving me a call when it was done. They never did, so I started bugging TW, and finally got a tech out with a MS card, which took about an hour to install and worked great.

Until, that is, early Tuesday morning, July 28th. Same problem as you; scrambled channels kick you back to the "Please call your provider/1-888-888-8888" screen, and then you exit that and have a grey screen. Only the unscrambled channels show.

Tech came out today with a new MS CableCARD, but after looking into the problem - and making a vague sort-of threat that if it went south again, TW might not be able to deal with the problem (they'd better hope they don't try that, or the FCC, the BBB, and any other alphabet-soup agencies I can think of will be hearing about that whole cable-monopoly business in general and TW in particular), he decided to try and fix the existing card.

Finally, after an hour, the tech told me the same thing as I'd been told before: known issue, working on correcting, will contact me when it's done. This time, I got the tech's name & phone number, and his supervisor's name, and planned to start carpet-bomb calls if I didn't hear something come Monday. Now that I have all these calls and the results, I'll be contacting the Help Desk and telling them what is needed and get them out here *pronto*. I'm not paying $100+ a month to watch OTA channels; I can do that for free.

I hate Time Warner.

Last edited by dulcinea : 07-30-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: For grammar and clarity
dulcinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #4314
Roadbot

SDV tuner Adapter appears to be blocking channels

Our TivoHD with tuner adapter and located in SoCal area seemed to be okay until yesterday when suddenly many channels above 11 like ranging from the local public service and basic CNN to all HD channels no longer would play on TV through Tivo. But the lower channels like public service and CNN work fine on second TV without Tivo box.

After hours on phone with TW and Tivo, I decided to troubleshoot by simply taking tuner adapter out of the equation and suddenly Tivo can play all channel again. Tivo box had warned me that the adapter had been disconnected. I then reconnected tuner adapter and after Tivo took some time updating 'info' on available channels, suddenly channel 11, CNN, HD etc no longer available again

Proves SDV is not yet on here (altho I did get a letter saying it was going active on these chennels) -- but a mystery as to why the adapter seems to be somehow blocking them -- the Tivo box is saying channels are currently unavailable -- suggesting adapter is sending the request to TW to start the channel, but TW does provide the data feed.

An hour of on hold trying to get back to TW again and I gave up, pulled the adapter for time being and just in time to record's wife favorite show.

go figure
Roadbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #4315
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Roadbot,

Have you read the very recent posts in this forum, starting with #4303 ?

Sounds like you have the same problem.

and
Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #4316
kika2000

Channel changes effective August 19 - NYC

I just got an email notifying me of changes to the channel line up on Time Warner Cable in the NYC area. I don't know if TW is doing this nationally or only locally, but in NYC, there are quite a few channels that will move on that date.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/...19changes.html

They are adding a some new HD channels including TCMHD - (yay!) and moving some old ones, including VSHD (which has been giving me horrible problems for weeks now, so maybe the move will help fix that.)
kika2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #4317
David Z

West Hollywood Cable Card Issue

I just spoke with TWC customer service. I asked about needing a tuning adapter after reading your postings, and asked her to alert the technician coming tomorrow to bring one. She told me that my account number wasn't anywhere near an area that required tuning adapters, but would "make a note in my file." What is this all about?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #4318
David Z

Follow up

I called 866-568-3215 after reading a post above, and she told me that the customer service person didn't know what I was talking about because I called it a "tuning adapter" rather than a "cable box." They're going to come out tomorrow on a service call to bring me a "cable box" that hooks up to my Series 3 and its cable cards to allow them to decode.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #4319
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I called 866-568-3215 after reading a post above, and she told me that the customer service person didn't know what I was talking about because I called it a "tuning adapter" rather than a "cable box." They're going to come out tomorrow on a service call to bring me a "cable box" that hooks up to my Series 3 and its cable cards to allow them to decode.
A TA is a kind of STB, which might be called a "cable box". However, this seems odd to me. TWC in my area not only calls them Tuning Adapters on their web pages but also the TWC support people and installers use that term (even though many of them know nothing about them).

and
Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #4320
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I'd triple check that - TWC definitely calls them Tuning Adapters:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Carol...Tuning-Adapter

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote