TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #31
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctivo View Post
Unfortunately, the new FIOS access point and the old copper line are at opposite ends of the house.

Thanks for the information, I will read the forums.

James
Mine is also. They ran a line from the new access point to the old box through the attic. They shot the line straight up in the garage into the attic and then dropped it through the roof eave where the old box is located.

Still the line from the copper line usually runs inside to one central location either in the attic or basement before branching out. We had just recently blown insulation in the attic so we couldn't find where the main point was easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
jctivo

After FIOS Installation

Yes, I definitely had an issue because there was not a telephone connection in the garage where the FIOS came into the house. The installer ran the cable on the ceiling of the garage and then drilled a hole into another room where he connected to an existing phone line. Not perfect but satisfactory.

Tivo Concept is the best thing since: Remote Control, Refrigerator & AC
jctivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
kcossabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222 View Post
The switch to Fios (from Comcast) could not have gone smoother. Fios guy installs everything (doing triple play). Pop my Comcast CableCard out....rerun guided set-up on my Tivo HD...Verizon pairs my host ID with the Fios CableCard. Done!

Best thing of all...all my Season Passes were automatically re-mapped to the Fios channels. I wasn't expecting that, I thought I'd have to reset all of them up. Awesome!

About as seamless transition as anyone could wish for.
Thank you for the post. I am about to do the switch and was wondering about the season passes.
kcossabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #34
mr.unnatural

If you've got FIOS in your area I can't recommend it highly enough. Make the switch today. You won't regret it.

FYI - all providers offer a promo for the first 12 months, including Verizon. The promos vary from time to time so check it out. I think I got a VISA gift card for $200 back when I signed up. Note that when you opt for the promo there probably is a commitment, but it's only for 12 months IIRC. Ask your Verizon rep for details. They may also throw in free HBO or Showtime or other channels for a limited time. If you don't want to pay for them when the free period expires you have to call and cancel them yourself. Otherwise, you'll get billed for them automatically.

One of the things I like about Verizon is that you can get your TV, internet and phone on one bill and you can add your Verizon wireless account as well so you only have to pay a single bill each month.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #35
ELEVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
If you've got FIOS in your area I can't recommend it highly enough. Make the switch today. You won't regret it.

FYI - all providers offer a promo for the first 12 months, including Verizon. The promos vary from time to time so check it out. I think I got a VISA gift card for $200 back when I signed up. Note that when you opt for the promo there probably is a commitment, but it's only for 12 months IIRC. Ask your Verizon rep for details. They may also throw in free HBO or Showtime or other channels for a limited time. If you don't want to pay for them when the free period expires you have to call and cancel them yourself. Otherwise, you'll get billed for them automatically.

One of the things I like about Verizon is that you can get your TV, internet and phone on one bill and you can add your Verizon wireless account as well so you only have to pay a single bill each month.
Who has Phone in there house these days ? I have a Cell Phone, So does my wife and kids, Why would i want a home Phone? What's the Point?

If i was to get Fios Would i need to add a home phone? I for sure dont want one, I can't Imagine why i would pay for a home phone, I know after 911 the only phones that were working were landlines, But i am not having a bill for X amount of years , for something that May never happen again ? and if i does who is to say the landlines are Guaranteed to work? But that alone won't justify me having an additional phone bill in a "Bundle" for 10-30 years , for just incase situation /
ELEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #36
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVO View Post
Who has Phone in there house these days ?
Um, lots of people.

Quote:
If i was to get Fios Would i need to add a home phone?
No. However, they bill you differently, depending on whether or not you have one. Accounts that include phone lines use the phone number as an identifier, and are billed in the traditional phone line ways (a variety of options). Accounts without a phone line require a credit card on file, and it used to be that Verizon had some trouble with these accounts. Hopefully they've fixed that, but I dunno.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #37
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVO View Post
Who has Phone in there house these days ? I have a Cell Phone, So does my wife and kids, Why would i want a home Phone? What's the Point?
Well, for one thing, it limits telemarketers to dialing my home phone and not my cell. That alone is worth the slight additional cost. I never give out my cell phone number to anyone I don't know personally. If you limit your phone service to just using a cell then you're leaving yourself wide open to telemarketers and other scam artists. I screen all of my home calls and only answer if I recognize the number or caller ID. Otherwise, they can leave a message.

Quote:
If i was to get Fios Would i need to add a home phone? I for sure dont want one, I can't Imagine why i would pay for a home phone, I know after 911 the only phones that were working were landlines, But i am not having a bill for X amount of years , for something that May never happen again ? and if i does who is to say the landlines are Guaranteed to work? But that alone won't justify me having an additional phone bill in a "Bundle" for 10-30 years , for just incase situation /
Verizon bundles your TV, internet, home phone and wireless phone bills into a single monthly bill if you want. The cost of a home phone with unlimited long distance is far less than what I pay for a single smart phone each month. I have nine cordless handsets scattered around my house so I can answer them from any room. There's a way to connect my cell phones to the home phones so that the main phones will ring with a unique ring tone for each cell phone. I'm not sure if you can answer the cell using a handset, though. I haven't read that part of the manual to set it up.

My home phone system has a voice caller ID that announces the name and/or number of the caller without me having to look at it. If the caller leaves a message it's relayed to each of the remote handsets so I can listen while the message is being recorded. Multiple handsets allows multiple people to join in a conference call instead of having to huddle around a single cell phone.

What do you do when your cell phone is charging in another room and you can't hear it ring? I can pick up a handset anywhere in the house without having to run upstairs to get my cell out of the charger. I even have a handset in my garage. I rarely carry my smart phone while I'm working around the house to keep it from being damaged, especially if I'm working on my car or doing a house reconstruction project. I always have a handset nearby, but only answer it if I need to.

FYI, FIOS includes a battery backup that will keep your house phones operational in the event of a power outage, at least until the battery dies.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote