TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #511
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
1.7.6 running on intel under 10.5.7. IS this normal? Files seem to be transferring ok other than constant messages to both console and system logs.
Yes, those are debug messages that are just reporting on the progress of the transfer. They are useful for when things go wrong so I can figure out what's the deal. Is the logging driving you nuts?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #512
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa00 View Post
Hello,

I get an applescript error when launching iTivo:

DNSService call failed
No matching processes belonging to you were found (1)

If I click OK, and then click on the Prefs button, I get an Applescript error:

Canít get item 1 of {}. (-1728)

I've tried reinstall, reboot, etc... Any ideas?

Thanks,

E
At the top, is it seeing your tivos?
The first error makes it sound like it's failing to get your tivo information via bonjour, which then sets off a cascade of issues. You may have some more luck if you know your tivo IP address and can type it in (although correctly fixing this would involve figuring out why your home network is denying broadcast packets inside).

Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #513
solutionsetc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Yes, those are debug messages... Is the logging driving you nuts?
It seems a bit excessive (of course better to have it than not have it when it comes time to troubleshoot an issue). Perhaps a pref or a plist string to turn it on/off might be a reasonable suggestion for the next build.
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #514
europa00

Quote:
At the top, is it seeing your tivos?
The first error makes it sound like it's failing to get your tivo information via bonjour, which then sets off a cascade of issues. You may have some more luck if you know your tivo IP address and can type it in (although correctly fixing this would involve figuring out why your home network is denying broadcast packets inside).
I did some looking and it looks like my D-link DIR-615 router may have problems with Bonjour. I can't find any posts anywhere that tells how to fix these problems though..
europa00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #515
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa00 View Post
I did some looking and it looks like my D-link DIR-615 router may have problems with Bonjour. I can't find any posts anywhere that tells how to fix these problems though..
Unfortunately I don't know.
However, have you tried just typing in the IP address of your tivo into the field at the top? does that work or does it still freak out?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #516
europa00

problem

yes, if i type in the address of the tivo, it doesn't work... i have no way of configuring the media access key.
europa00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #517
jannlinder

What version of comskip? Since none is in the svn on code.google.com

Call me a cheater and a louse but I use the iTivo comskip from inside the package in my own perl script to trim commercials out of the SD programs I download (since i cannot find a Mac OSX-compiled comskip online). HD programs just do not get trimmed correctly ever and I just decided to check the source of iTivo so i could see the build of comskip you ship with it.

Now, I know you disabled the comskip functionality in the interface of iTivo...but I was surprised to find no comskip -- either compiled or source -- in the checkout of your program from code.google.com.

What is the deal? I know comskip is not officially compiled for os x but since you ship it inside iTiVo, why is it not in the svn repository?

I love iTiVo but I hate that comskip does not work for my HD (Discovery Channel Mythbusters in particular...but many many HD programs...)

Is there a source for comskip that you download and somehow compile? If so, I would love to know from where.

In the latest release of iTiVo (v1.7.7b3), the comskip command-line app is reporting "Comskip 0.79.126" and that is all the way back on Mar 25, 2008. Is there a specific reason that you have not included a newer version?

I know comskip is not your program but I would like to know these things and also know if there is a reason for the above questions I have.

Thanks!

addition: Today I changed detect_method=43 instead of 47 and it works now with ABC and CBS HD.

Jann

Last edited by jannlinder : 06-14-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: altered to add notes for HD
jannlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #518
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
Call me a cheater and a louse but I use the iTivo comskip from inside the package in my own perl script to trim commercials out of the SD programs I download (since i cannot find a Mac OSX-compiled comskip online). HD programs just do not get trimmed correctly ever and I just decided to check the source of iTivo so i could see the build of comskip you ship with it.

Now, I know you disabled the comskip functionality in the interface of iTivo...but I was surprised to find no comskip -- either compiled or source -- in the checkout of your program from code.google.com.

What is the deal? I know comskip is not officially compiled for os x but since you ship it inside iTiVo, why is it not in the svn repository?

I love iTiVo but I hate that comskip does not work for my HD (Discovery Channel Mythbusters in particular...but many many HD programs...)

Is there a source for comskip that you download and somehow compile? If so, I would love to know from where.

In the latest release of iTiVo (v1.7.7b3), the comskip command-line app is reporting "Comskip 0.79.126" and that is all the way back on Mar 25, 2008. Is there a specific reason that you have not included a newer version?

I know comskip is not your program but I would like to know these things and also know if there is a reason for the above questions I have.

Thanks!

addition: Today I changed detect_method=43 instead of 47 and it works now with ABC and CBS HD.

Jann
A long time ago, a nice fellow (jon.christopher) took comskip, cleaned it up, and made it compile on macOSx, as part of his etv-comskip system. The front page of iTivo has the link to etv-comskip, but here it is anyways: http://code.google.com/p/etv-comskip/

There is a source tab there, from which you can get the source code that was used. As part of a package build I build that (and things like mplayer, and lots of other little thingies). I don't keep the source in my repository since I don't maintain those. Instead I provide a link to the official place I got them from on the iTiVo page.

I have tried using newer versions from kaashoek, and mostly have gone nuts. He has added a bunch of windows-dll dependencies and ffmpeg library dependencies and some stuff to mess with closed captioning. I pretty much gave up trying to get it to build the latest.

Unfortunately, it looks like etv-comskip has also abandoned trying to update to the latest code.

That said though, if changing settings for comskip is helpful, it shouldn't be too much work to add some sort mild gui-control for those settings. (probably not complete control, but something like 'aggressive, regular, permissive) as a pulldown might be enough. Alternatively, if you want to go all-advanced, just edit the file comskip.ini in iTiVo.app/Contents/Resources.... but make a backup of it somewhere as every update to iTiVo will overwrite it.

Last edited by Yoav : 06-15-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #519
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
the conversion normally doesn't change the volume from source to destination. Except that for some devices, it was necessary to do as it was too low (example is the iphone conversion).

The downside to forcing volume 'up' is potential 'clipping' of the louder bits. But if you're certain that you want to up the volume, go to Prefs, select the download format you want. The rest of this instruction is assuming you pick a format that uses 'mencoder' as the encoder. If you're using a different encoder tell me and I'll see if I can figure out the correct options for it.

Go into 'advanced'. There, under 'audio options' ADD the following:
Code:
-af volume=13:1
Select ok, and try a new encode. If you like this you can save this as a new 'format' name for future use (otherwise, it will stay with that option until you change formats in the future)
Yoav,

Thanks so much! I will try this out and let you know what happens!
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #520
UncaAndoo

Quote:
iTiVo will not delete shows from your iTunes library.

I looked around for itunes scripts that would do this for you, and so far have had no luck. Doug's applescripts page: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/usually has tons of useful stuff, but I guess there's sort of a 'worry' about deleting the wrong thing (also, i think itunes requires a popup to delete files no matter what).

If you have the script-know-how you can probably edit one of the deletion scripts he has to actually try and figure out how many episodes of a show are on disk, and see if you can sort those by time and expire the oldest...

OR a little manual work (this won't be automatic, but it's pretty easy and is what I do to delete old things): Click the "TV Shows" button. Make sure you're using the list view (the View with the horizontal lines). Now right-click or option-click the word 'Name' and choose 'Date Added'. Now you can see when each show as added. Left-click on the 'Date Added' name to sort everything by date added. Go to the bottom (oldest episodes), and click or shift-click to select all the episodes you want gone. Hit 'delete' and make sure to say "Move to trash".

So yeah, not automated.. sorry
Maybe someone will have a better solution in a bit...
The best solution is to buy Hazel, so maybe someone will have a cheaper solution in a bit.

Philips 230-hour Combo Unit
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #521
psywzrd

I'm using the most recent version of iTivo to transfer a recording from my S3 Tivo my MacBook (using the Decrypt option to get the best possible quality). When I play the resulting mpgeg on my MacBook, I'm getting frequent audio dropouts that are not there when I watch the program on my Tivo. Any idea what could be causing this problem?
psywzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #522
fatespawn

Is it 5.1 audio? Quicktime has issues with properly decoding 5.1. Try VLC and see if you get the same dropouts.

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #523
psywzrd

Nope, it's not 5.1 and I am using VLC to view it on my computer.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #524
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
Nope, it's not 5.1 and I am using VLC to view it on my computer.
Can you try playing it with Mplayer OSX Extended: http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/

It's *possible* that there's some issue with vlc. It's also possible that the data on the tivo is mildly corrupt in such a way that the tivo can recover from it, but that when it turns it into an mpeg to hand over to your computer, the error becomes larger. Is this happening just to one file or everything?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #525
psywzrd

Quote:
Can you try playing it with Mplayer OSX Extended: http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/

It's *possible* that there's some issue with vlc. It's also possible that the data on the tivo is mildly corrupt in such a way that the tivo can recover from it, but that when it turns it into an mpeg to hand over to your computer, the error becomes larger. Is this happening just to one file or everything?
This is weird. When I tried to play it with the program you linked to above, the audio was fine but the video was screwed up. I'm not sure what to make of this. I haven't tried any other files recently but I guess I could - it would just take a while to download them (this is just a 4 minute clip so it doesn't take long to download). I can send you the file if you want so you can try it on your end as well. If you want, PM me your email address and I'll email you a link so that you can download it (it's a little under 400MB).
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #526
thebizz

Quote:
This is weird. When I tried to play it with the program you linked to above, the audio was fine but the video was screwed up. I'm not sure what to make of this. I haven't tried any other files recently but I guess I could - it would just take a while to download them (this is just a 4 minute clip so it doesn't take long to download). I can send you the file if you want so you can try it on your end as well. If you want, PM me your email address and I'll email you a link so that you can download it (it's a little under 400MB).

psywzrd....please let us know what you find out, as I have had the exact same experience with a file I downloaded from my Tivo. I tried playing the file with Mplayer OSX Extended and also had choppy video...but it fixed the sound problem.
thebizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #527
Yoav

Quote:
I suspect emailing me the file won't reveal anything new (I'm gonna have the same results as you do).. but if you put it up somewhere I'm happy to try it (just put up like the first 20 megs or so).

It's definitely looking like a corrupt file that is causing different players to react differently.... Out of interest, if you select a format other than decrypt -- like maybe iphone, (which will take a while to transcode it) do things seem to work?

It might need an mpeg 'fixer' to run on it, and the only one I'm aware of is on windows (part of the videoReDo suite).

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #528
psywzrd

Quote:
I suspect emailing me the file won't reveal anything new (I'm gonna have the same results as you do).. but if you put it up somewhere I'm happy to try it (just put up like the first 20 megs or so).

It's definitely looking like a corrupt file that is causing different players to react differently.... Out of interest, if you select a format other than decrypt -- like maybe iphone, (which will take a while to transcode it) do things seem to work?

It might need an mpeg 'fixer' to run on it, and the only one I'm aware of is on windows (part of the videoReDo suite).
Just download the same video using the iphone option - now the audio and video are out of sync. Here's some additional information that may help you figure out the problem. This was a 2+ hour program that I recorded in its entirety; however, I didn't want the whole thing anymore (taking up too much space on my Tivo). There was basically a 4-minute portion of the program that I wanted, so I paused the recording right before the 4-minute portion that I wanted. I went to my other S3 Tivo and transferred the recording from the paused location (that's an option when you transfer a video). Once the video was transferred to my other S3, I deleted the original recording. After that, I transferred the recording back to my original S3 and stopped the transfer before it finished (this allowed me to cut off everything after the part that I wanted). Basically, I took a 2+ hour show and "edited" it down to about 4 minutes by transferring it back and forth. Do you think that's why I'm having these problems now?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #529
Yoav

Quote:
Basically, I took a 2+ hour show and "edited" it down to about 4 minutes by transferring it back and forth. Do you think that's why I'm having these problems now?
Well, I can't say anything authoritative (I'm guessing as much as you are here), but if the tivo simply 'cuts' the clip when you do that, it can introduce errors that might result in what you're seeing. Clearly the standard media players are unhappy with the mpg file, so 'something' is off about it. It's also worth keeping in mind that TS mpeg formats actually seperate out the audio and video, and they are not always kept in sync in the bitstream, so if you cut it at a random location and start playing, it's pretty common to see audio/video sync issues...

But yeah, I don't really know for sure

Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #530
jsb_hburg

Hello,

I have been trying out iTiVo and having some fun with it. I do have a question. This relates to 1.7.6. I notice lip sync issues when converting the file as H.264 at 10Mbps. The lip sync issues are worse at the start of a file but seem to improve about 10 to 15 seconds into the file. I am using either QuickTime on a MacBook or TiVo via pyTivoX on an Epson Home Cinema 720 to watch the file.

Is this a known issue? Am I missing a step to avoid this?
jsb_hburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #531
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Hi Yoav,

I've been out of the discussions for iTivo/pTivoX for a little while but I'm coming back to it for hopefully a simple question. I've been using iTivo more and more as a replacement for Roxio's Tivo Transfer. Tivo Transfer does move shows off the Tivo S3 to my server ok, but I can't trust Toast 9 to transform the Mpeg-2 broadcasts to anything that I can easily control. I'm going on a family vacation soon and have been using iTivo to transfer and encode to MP4 several episodes of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" from Disney HD for my kids.

One thing that I remember discussing a while back (so I apologize if its been answered before) is whether or not it's possible keep the original AC3 soundtracks for encoded shows (an MKV file I think?) and have the Tivo understand them. I've been playing around with the Quicktime H.264 settings (5 and 3 Mbit/sec) and the encoded MP4s play really well streamed back to the Tivo, but the soundtracks are AAC which ends up being Dolby Pro Logic II in my home theater rig.

One more note. While encoding Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I was frustrated that neither the 5 or 3 Mbit/sec encoding settings allowed the shows to play well on my black Macbook 2006 under 10.5.7 (my Core 2 Duo Macs didn't have this problem). There were lots and lots of dropouts..totally unwatchable. Then I booted to Snow Leopard and the new OS ever since the first releases past the WWDC release can play these files without issue. What I discovered was a couple of things. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a 720p show (all Disney Channel HD shows in HD are) which matches the resolution of my Macbook but this show is also 60 fps. Apparently Leopard 10.5.7 can't keep up with the framerate. Although Quicktime has been revamped, the key performance issue appears to be the graphics driver for the embedded Intel X3100 graphics chip. Snow Leopard's version is much better and allows a better "stuffing of the pipe" as it were.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #532
psywzrd

Quote:
Well, I can't say anything authoritative (I'm guessing as much as you are here), but if the tivo simply 'cuts' the clip when you do that, it can introduce errors that might result in what you're seeing. Clearly the standard media players are unhappy with the mpg file, so 'something' is off about it. It's also worth keeping in mind that TS mpeg formats actually seperate out the audio and video, and they are not always kept in sync in the bitstream, so if you cut it at a random location and start playing, it's pretty common to see audio/video sync issues...

But yeah, I don't really know for sure
Crap - I guess I shouldn't have deleted the original file, huh? I didn't think this would cause any problems but I guess I was wrong. I'll have to look online to try and find a good copy of the original then.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #533
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Hi Yoav,

One thing that I remember discussing a while back (so I apologize if its been answered before) is whether or not it's possible keep the original AC3 soundtracks for encoded shows (an MKV file I think?)
The simple answer is "if ffmpeg, mencoder, or handbrake can do it, then yes it can be done". In this case, you don't even need to use an mkv container, since newer mp4 specs support AC-3 audio instead of AAC, although older implementation may be unable to play it. And I'm pretty sure that the appleTV only accepts AC-3 audio if it's a second audio stream alongside a stereo aac stream or whatnot. (You may end up needing to toy around until things work).

The 'quick' way to not even re-encode audio is to open up iTiVo, select the format you like, and go to the Advanced tab. under the 'audio encoding options' just put in
Code:
-oac copy
. This will do no re-encoding of the audio at all and just accept whatever was in the original data stream (for an HD feed, that's going to be AC-3 audio. (This assumes your encoder is mencoder).

HOWEVER, if you re-encode the video but do not re-encode the audio, you are almost guaranteed to get audio/video sync issues. To re-encode the audio source to a 6-channel ac-3 audio stream, you can use something like:
Code:
 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=384
Again I havent tried this, so you should test all this first. I do know that often re-encoding to ac-3 requires very specific inputs (for example 4-channel to 6-channel can't be done), so you may need to toy around with the flags...

There are similar options if you prefer to use ffmpeg or handbrake as your encoder.

Quote:

One more note. .... Snow Leopard's version is much better and allows a better "stuffing of the pipe" as it were.
Hey that's pretty cool .

Last edited by Yoav : 07-28-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #534
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb_hburg View Post
Hello,

I have been trying out iTiVo and having some fun with it. I do have a question. This relates to 1.7.6. I notice lip sync issues when converting the file as H.264 at 10Mbps. The lip sync issues are worse at the start of a file but seem to improve about 10 to 15 seconds into the file. I am using either QuickTime on a MacBook or TiVo via pyTivoX on an Epson Home Cinema 720 to watch the file.

Is this a known issue? Am I missing a step to avoid this?
This is a 'known' issue. Basically, the video source from the tivo sometimes doesn't translate well to re-encoding. If you get a fixed 'offset' sync issue there are workarounds, but if it changes as the stream progresses then your only option might be to try a different encoder (some people have reported more luck with Handbrake as the encoder).

Just a quick point: If you're ok with huge files (which I assume you must be if you're using 10Mbps) your best bet may be to use the 'decrypt' format, which does no re-encoding at all and gives you the actual bits from the tivo. This will be the highest quality you can get, and is least likely to have A/V sync issues. You will have to use VLC or MPlayer OSX (extended) to view the movie though, since quicktime player can't understand the mpeg-2 file that is the result.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #535
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
The simple answer is "if ffmpeg, mencoder, or handbrake can do it, then yes it can be done". In this case, you don't even need to use an mkv container, since newer mp4 specs support AC-3 audio instead of AAC, although older implementation may be unable to play it. And I'm pretty sure that the appleTV only accepts AC-3 audio if it's a second audio stream alongside a stereo aac stream or whatnot. (You may end up needing to toy around until things work).
OK, will a Tivo allow such a file (MP4 + AC3) to be played (streaming or download)?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #536
NA9D

Quote:
OK, will a Tivo allow such a file (MP4 + AC3) to be played (streaming or download)?
Yes and no.

It's been discovered recently that you can PUSH an MP4 file to a Tivo and have it play no problem. Such pushes can be accomplished in pyTivo (or pyTivoX) and also in Streambaby (part of pyTivoX). Trying to pull such a file from the Tivo directly will not work.

Alternatively, it's simpler IMHO, to simply let pyTivo(X) transcode the file to MPEG-2 as part of a normal pull sequence.

NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #537
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA9D View Post
Yes and no.

It's been discovered recently that you can PUSH an MP4 file to a Tivo and have it play no problem. Such pushes can be accomplished in pyTivo (or pyTivoX) and also in Streambaby (part of pyTivoX). Trying to pull such a file from the Tivo directly will not work.

Alternatively, it's simpler IMHO, to simply let pyTivo(X) transcode the file to MPEG-2 as part of a normal pull sequence.
So streaming will work. File transfer and then play will not. Hmmmmm. Very strange.

Unfortunately on-the-fly transcoding won't work for me now since my Leopard Server is an ancient G4 Powermac that doesn't have enough horsepower, even with two processors. I'll have to replace the machine at some point when Snow Leopard server ships. Maybe I can get a Mac Mini for the job then.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #538
NA9D

Quote:
So streaming will work. File transfer and then play will not. Hmmmmm. Very strange.

Unfortunately on-the-fly transcoding won't work for me now since my Leopard Server is an ancient G4 Powermac that doesn't have enough horsepower, even with two processors. I'll have to replace the machine at some point when Snow Leopard server ships. Maybe I can get a Mac Mini for the job then.
Transfer and play would probably technically work, but Tivo has just not enabled it as such yet. The Tivo will certainly play MPEG-4 files.

On the server side - you'll be sooo much happier if you get an Intel based machine...

NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #539
Yoav

for what it's worth, try out push and see if you like it. (configure pyTivoX with your tivo.com username/password, hit apply, and then use streambaby to initiate a push instead of playing directly).

The one annoyance with mp4 pushes is that the tivo only actually plays *some* mp4s, not everything. moyekj wrote up a nice document on how to make valid 'mp4s' that the tivo should be able to play (his document is oriented around using ffmpeg, but you can derive the appropriate options for mencoder OR use ffmpeg if you like): http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/..._compatibility

Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #540
Bombino

Hi there,

Today, my iTiVo install started marking all recorded programs as 'copyright' protected. This only just started on programs recorded SINCE today at 05:00, so all programs older than 7/28 appear with a valid ID and can be marked for downloading. The only thing that changed on my end was that I downloaded a few music choice videos a couple of days ago, which expectedly were marked as 'copyright'. Has anyone else on the west coast experienced this in recent days? I am in the TWC footprint.

Thanks

Last edited by Bombino : 07-28-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Bombino is offline   Reply With Quote