TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #2191
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Signal Strength/SNR effects on Tuning Adapter?

I have a TiVo HD, two s-cards and a Cisco/SA 1520 Tuning Adapter. I know that excess signal strength is suspected in some freeze problems. The numbers quoted are always tuner SNR and signal strength. I see a lot of numbers in the Tuning Adapter diagnostics pages, including:

Tuner: -5 dBmV
FDC: -6 dBmV
RDC: 44 dBmV

Is there some way to use these numbers to know if the TA is getting too much (or too little) signal, so attenuators could be inserted/removed?

Or is signal strength just not an issue for TA's?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #2192
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I have a TiVo HD, two s-cards and a Cisco/SA 1520 Tuning Adapter. I know that excess signal strength is suspected in some freeze problems. The numbers quoted are always tuner SNR and signal strength. I see a lot of numbers in the Tuning Adapter diagnostics pages, including:

Tuner: -5 dBmV
FDC: -6 dBmV
RDC: 44 dBmV

Is there some way to use these numbers to know if the TA is getting too much (or too little) signal, so attenuators could be inserted/removed?

Or is signal strength just not an issue for TA's?
Those numbers are OK. I assume you have the TiVo attached to the output of the TA? Note that the TA diags is only going to give you 'tuner' signal strengths for the SDV QAM frequencies.... It isnt giving you any info on the other channels.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #2193
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Those numbers are OK. I assume you have the TiVo attached to the output of the TA? Note that the TA diags is only going to give you 'tuner' signal strengths for the SDV QAM frequencies.... It isnt giving you any info on the other channels.
Good to know these are OK, but which numbers are the important ones, and what is the OK range for them (if you know)? Are there known or suspected lock up, freeze, or other bad behavior from bad TA numbers?

and
Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #2194
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Good to know these are OK, but which numbers are the important ones, and what is the OK range for them (if you know)? Are there known or suspected lock up, freeze, or other bad behavior from bad TA numbers?
All three are important from a TA functionality perspective. 'Tuner' is the actual channel signal strength and the one most likely resposible for small 'glitches'. RDC and FDC have to do with the TA hearing and talking to the Hub. If it cant converse with the hub, its not going to work properly.... it can reboot or just not tune the channels you want. The TiVo needs the FDC to be good so it can get its cablecard authorizations. Only the TA cares about RDC.

As to values... Tuner and FDC should probably be between -8 and 0 (considering the gain in the TA). RDC should be less than 50.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #2195
ianfarrell

Angry SDV break up still an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfarrell View Post
No uncorrected errors at that time.
I did however see a few hundred Corrected and UnCorrected this morning on Ch258 but not on 267.
This is probably because of the still high signal.
I'm going to order some attenuators as I can't source 75ohm terminators locally and the splitters look a bit messy but it was only to try and see how much reduction was needed.
It looks like the tilt is biased towards the high frequencies but I'm only seeing about a level difference on the TiVo of 10 on the extremities.
So several months into this now and I still get break up of most SDV channels with only the odd daily 1 or 2 RS Corrected and no RS Uncorrected.
SNR at 34dB and Signal around 86 to 90.
I have a TWC tech coming out for the umpteenth time this morning.
What gets me is if it was break up on all channels I could understand there being either a signal or Tivo problem, but only SDV channels (nearly all HD) makes me believe it's TWC's problem.
Maybe somebody wiser here can correct me if I'm wrong.
ianfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #2196
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfarrell View Post
So several months into this now and I still get break up of most SDV channels with only the odd daily 1 or 2 RS Corrected and no RS Uncorrected.
SNR at 34dB and Signal around 86 to 90.
I have a TWC tech coming out for the umpteenth time this morning.
What gets me is if it was break up on all channels I could understand there being either a signal or Tivo problem, but only SDV channels (nearly all HD) makes me believe it's TWC's problem.
Maybe somebody wiser here can correct me if I'm wrong.
TWC is aware and is working with TiVo and Cisco on the issue. So far, they havent been able to track it down.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #2197
lrhorer

I have Cisco TAs, but I haven't seen this issue. What does happen form time to time is the TA just quits properly handshaking with the TiVo. When this happens, I usually lose not only all SDV channels, but frequently all encrypted channels, as well. When it happens, the TA must be rebooted, and sometimes the TiVo also. I've had it happen at different times on all three TiVos.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #2198
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I have Cisco TAs, but I haven't seen this issue. What does happen form time to time is the TA just quits properly handshaking with the TiVo. When this happens, I usually lose not only all SDV channels, but frequently all encrypted channels, as well. When it happens, the TA must be rebooted, and sometimes the TiVo also. I've had it happen at different times on all three TiVos.
If you are referring to the SDV Pixelation issue... It may not be seen on systems that dont use Cisco GQAM's. The symptom is pixelation only on SDV channels. When the pixelation occurs, the RS Corrected/Uncorrected stats remain zero. Ive recorded the same program at the same time on an 8300, S3 and THD and the 8300 does NOT exhibit the problem while the S3 and THD have the pixelation at exactly the same place in the program. The events seem to cluster around the top and bottom of the hour when you would expect the GQAM to be building up or tearing down the transport stream and/or lots of SDV 'chatter' in the network. Ive compared notes with people in other areas of town and on different service groups and they see the same thing... but... their glitches occur in different places in the same show.

It would seem to me that the GQAM may be generating some 'interesting' mpeg that is tripping up TiVo but not 8300 or the TA or cablecard is generating some status sequence that is tripping up TiVo. Hopefully they will figure it out soon. TWC has crawled all over this thing trying to figure it out (kudos to TWC Raleigh). They have logs from the TiVo and several samples of mpeg pulled via TTG.

My wife's TiVo/TA did exactly what you mentioned last week. It was an interesting situation. She tried to tune a couple SDV channels and couldnt. I went to my SA3250 and tuned the channels and they was ok. She went back to channel 190 and found it ok. When I tuned away from 190 on the 3250, her picture froze on the TiVo. When I tuned back to 190, her picture resumed... Very cool.... Rebooting the TA fixed the problem.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #2199
lrhorer

Quote:
If you are referring to the SDV Pixelation issue...
No, I'm not . I haven't seen any great amount of pixelation, SDV or otherwise. When the event of which I am speaking occurs, all the affected channels become unavailable.

Quote:
My wife's TiVo/TA did exactly what you mentioned last week. It was an interesting situation. She tried to tune a couple SDV channels and couldnt. I went to my SA3250 and tuned the channels and they was ok. She went back to channel 190 and found it ok. When I tuned away from 190 on the 3250, her picture froze on the TiVo. When I tuned back to 190, her picture resumed... Very cool.... Rebooting the TA fixed the problem.
When the problem has occurred here, changing channels doesn't help.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #2200
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Is there a way to tell which channels are SDV from the diagnostics pages in the TiVo HD?

On TWC (Dayton, OH) can you assume all channels are switched except the locals?

Also, there was uncertainty (earlier in this thread I think) about whether RS error counts are correct for SDV channels, or are always just zero. Has that been resolved?

EDIT: Actually the uncertainty about error counts for SDV channels was expressed by bkdtv in this post in the HD Pixellation sticky thread.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-13-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #2201
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
......there was uncertainty ....... about whether RS error counts are correct for SDV channels, or are always just zero. Has that been resolved?
I was surprised to find talk of RS counts in the support documents on the TiVo web site. There was no indication that they only applied to non-SDV channels so I am assuming they are meaningful for all channels.

and
Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #2202
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
An earlier post said there should be a TWC web page telling what channels are SDV. I have TWC Southwest Ohio, specifically Dayton North. After the difficulty I've had just trying to find out what channels are provided with their "Digital Service", I am skeptical that a listing of SDV channels exists. Their channel lineup web page is very confusing, involving about 20 color coded packages with colors that are not unique. After three tries via email, I finally got someone to tell me which "packages" are included in "Digital Service", not that I have total confidence in this information.

If a web page listing SDV channels for my service area exists, could someone please post a link? (Or tell me how to get this info from their channel lineup page.)
Well TiVo says my cable provider should tell me which channels are SDV so I gave them a call today and (after some difficulty) got them to read me the list of SDV channels, which I had to write down. The agent said she was pulling them from a "manual" and there is no separate list that she could send me -- the channel numbers were in jumbled order.

I only got the ones in the 1-200 and 700-799 range as I don't subscribe to anything outside those ranges except the music channels. She read me 69 numbers. Of course if she accidentally missed some, there is no way I could know.

If the info is correct, the channel where I see the most video and audio glitches (788 CNBC HD) is NOT SDV. I suspect it actually is SDV. My theory is that the SDV channels have more video glitches -- but maybe not. None of my channels show any uncorrected RS errors and zero or very few corrected RS errors.

and
Old 07-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #2203
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Well TiVo says my cable provider should tell me which channels are SDV so I gave them a call today and (after some difficulty) got them to read me the list of SDV channels, which I had to write down. The agent said she was pulling them from a "manual" and there is no separate list that she could send me -- the channel numbers were in jumbled order.

I only got the ones in the 1-200 and 700-799 range as I don't subscribe to anything outside those ranges except the music channels. She read me 69 numbers. Of course if she accidentally missed some, there is no way I could know.

If the info is correct, the channel where I see the most video and audio glitches (788 CNBC HD) is NOT SDV. I suspect it actually is SDV. My theory is that the SDV channels have more video glitches -- but maybe not. None of my channels show any uncorrected RS errors and zero or very few corrected RS errors.
The easiest way to tell if a channel is SDV is to unplug the USB cable between TiVo and TA and then see if you can tune the channel (after you acknowledge the screen telling you the TA has gone). If it is still tuneable... its a linear channel.

The error counters work fine for SDV channels. The tuner doesnt care if the channel is SDV or linear. The magic is knowing what frequency and program id the desired stream is on. From there the cablecard takes care of everything.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #2204
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The easiest way to tell if a channel is SDV is to unplug the USB cable between TiVo and TA and then see if you can tune the channel (after you acknowledge the screen telling you the TA has gone). If it is still tuneable... its a linear channel..........
Thanks SCSIRAID. I'll grant that is much easier than trying to get TWC to tell me! (I spent at least an hour of "chat" and phone time trying to get the info from TWC and I still don't trust what they told me.)

and
Old 07-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #2205
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Is there a way to tell which channels are SDV from the diagnostics pages in the TiVo HD?

On TWC (Dayton, OH) can you assume all channels are switched except the locals?
If you have a TWC issued Sci-Atl set-set-top box using SARA software, you can determine which channels are SDV by following these steps:

1. Get into the cable box's diagnostic menu by holding the "+" or "SELECT" button ON THE BOX in for a few seconds until the mail light begins flashing. (The "+" button in the center of the up, down, left, right arrow buttons.) Press the INFO button.

You can page through the informational screens by using the left & right arrow buttons. You can see the TV picture by pressing the "+" button...once will make the diagnostic info about 50% opaque and twice will make it about 20%. A third time will bring you back to 100%.

2. Go to the last page in the diagnostic menu (page 39)

3. Look at the SamSvcid/Type. It will show a number and "/Switched" if the cahnnel you are tuned to is SDV (if it is not switched it will show "Broadcast")

4. The SDV Freq: will show a number depending on the SDV pool that gets assigned.

5. Change the channels and look to see what appears in the SamSvcid/Type location.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #2206
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Thanks skaggs,

I don't have a STB. My configuration is a the typical TiVo HD, cable cards and tuning adapter. It is a Scientific Atlanta TA, and I am on TWC.

However, your post provided the clue that allowed me to discover the same information via the TiVo menus as follows:

Account & System Information ==> Tuning Adapter ==> Tuning Adapter Diagnostics==>SDV SESSION INFO

There will be info for two sessions and the third item in each set is SamSvcid/Type: which will be #####/Broadcast (or) #####/Switched

(##### represents a five digit number).

All you have to do is determine which session corresponds to which of the two tuners. The easy way to tell this is by the channel frequency, given in DVR Diagnostics. Note the freq is given in kHz in one place and MHz in the other, so there is a factor of 1,000 difference in the numbers.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 04-08-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #2207
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I was surfing to find info on the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics Screens and found this interesting link announcing that some tech writers at Cisco had received an award for a document entitled: Understanding the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Screen Application Guide.

I believe it's an internal document only available in print -- I couldn't find it on the Cisco web pages. I sent an email to their support asking about getting a copy.

My immediate goal was to find out what FDC and RDC stand for. My wild guesses are "Forward Data Carrier" and "Return Data Carrier".

and
Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #2208
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I was surfing to find info on the Tuning Adapter Diagnostics Screens and found this interesting link announcing that some tech writers at Cisco had received an award for a document entitled: Understanding the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Screen Application Guide.
Anyone else find it a bit strange that apparently awards are being given out to companies who write documentation that help users interpret what the company's GUI actually is trying to convey?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #2209
ontherebound

I'm also in Dayton, OH as well with TWC (using a TiVo HD and a Cisco TA). Their switched channels are all over the place. The only place I haven't found any switched channels is between 2 and 59. Everything else is fair game. The TA said that as of a few days ago there were 139 SDV channels, but who knows if this really means anything since I can't get an interpretation of what all the screens mean (since we don't have this critically acclaimed document about the STA1520!). But don't assume that all of the 700 series channels are in SDV, either. A number of those channels are non-switched. You'll have to ask your tuning adapter to tell if they are switched or not.

I noticed that the Dayton area had their sub-100 analog channels recently switched to digital if you have a STB or a CableCard. You can still view any of the non-switched channels without them (so they are being broadcast both ways), but they wanted to prepare for the switch to all digital at some point I assume.

I have been dealing with a supervisor out of Hamilton who had resolved some recent issues. As of yesterday, I now have about 20+ channels that are not coming in and I believe they are all SDV (since I am getting the "Channel Temporarily not availble message"). Two of them did tune at one time and they were on the same frequency, which makes me think they've made some changes at the Dayton head-end and they've got some fixing to do. They added channel 185 on Saturday, which is one of the channels I'm not getting, but that is on a different frequency. I'm going to have to call that supervisor to get him working on this issue.

To keep things in perspective, I had heard from either TWC or TiVo that in the Cincy Region (including Cincy and Dayton) when they were fixing some initial TA problems, that there are only just over 400 CableCard users. So, we're not a priority to them at all.

I just wanted to get you some info from another Dayton user who has been having some issues as well. I'm learning their darn network better than they are, especially since I am dealing with a supervisor from Hamilton (since I almost live in Warren county) and he is on the Cincy head-end himself. It makes for a lot of confusion since he doesn't know my channels and what changes the Dayton head-end team have made. It also means he doesn't get a lot of answers to e-mails about problems from the same Dayton head-end team since they really don't know him. He actually blamed it on the fact that I was able to give him so much information that their normal covering the blatantly obvious bases with the customer don't work. By the time they get an e-mail from him, they're getting signal levels, SNR, etc. He said they normally never give them any of this info, so it leaves them actually having to think about problems with their system. That's what happens when you have a user who can actually note when problems happen and document the details.

Sorry for being windy...I'll try to be around a little more because I do have my share of problems and info that I can help others with.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #2210
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Interesting comments, ontherebound,

How did you get to talk to a supervisor? And here's the big question: how could one get to talk to an engineer who actually knows what is going on technically?

I don't know if you noticed it but there is a definite way to tell which channels are SDV (once you can receive them that is) given in my post #2206 just above. There is also the brute force way of just disconnecting the Tuning Adapter USB cable and the non-SDV channels are the ones that are left.

Trying to get the listing of SDV channels from Time Warner was a losing cause for me. I finally got a list (read to me over the phone - no actual list) but I know it was partially incorrect.

On my system roughly one third of the 700-799 channels are SDV and there are some HD channels that are not SDV. And some of the channels below 100 are SDV, specifically 57 and 72 that I have checked. However 36 is not.

I'm northwest of Dayton, quite a ways from you actually. At least I do seem to get all the channels I'm supposed to.

BTW the lineup is being completely reshuffled in August -- so don't get too comfortable with the current version.

and
Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #2211
ontherebound

Quote:
Interesting comments, ontherebound,

How did you get to talk to a supervisor? And here's the big question: how could one get to talk to an engineer who actually knows what is going on technically?

I don't know if you noticed it but there is a definite way to tell which channels are SDV (once you can receive them that is) given in my post #2206 just above. There is also the brute force way of just disconnecting the Tuning Adapter USB cable and the non-SDV channels are the ones that are left.

Trying to get the listing of SDV channels from Time Warner was a losing cause for me. I finally got a list (read to me over the phone - no actual list) but I know it was partially incorrect.

On my system roughly one third of the 700-799 channels are SDV and there are some HD channels that are not SDV. And some of the channels below 100 are SDV, specifically 57 and 72 that I have checked. However 36 is not.

I'm northwest of Dayton, quite a ways from you actually. At least I do seem to get all the channels I'm supposed to.

BTW the lineup is being completely reshuffled in August -- so don't get too comfortable with the current version.
Glad to be here. I was blessed with a supervisor when a Dayton call center CSR made a note to send a supervisor out to me when I had 2 truck rolls in under two weeks. I didn't get a supervisor (but he had been around a while), but he had a friend who was one. He called him for me and I got a call the next afternoon. It was a miracle. I have his office and mobile numbers, too!!! I'm the luckiest customer -- to actually be able to get UDCP issues looked into instead of just getting the confused look.

He's not the absolutely most knowledgeable, but he does know how to get people who are and finally was taking an approach of testing every item that fell under his realm, FieldOps (from the TV to the tap), and eliminating those and then dumping it on SysOps (from the tap to the head-end) by telling them I've done EVERYTHING I can do. It worked the last go around (which I just told him it was corrected successfully a week ago Friday -- oh well, he's getting a call today). He isn't the best, either, because he runs off of the Cincy head-end, so he doesn't know when Dayton is making changes. But, he is a supervisor and he will get things done. He even showed up at my house one day just to find out what was going on at the beginning. I've been impressed with him (and the three other techs he's gotten involved, along with the pole man, who seemed to fix my last issues).

I knew about the looking in the TA diagnostic screen for finding out if a channel was switched or not. I typically go into DVR Diagnostics to get the frequency of the channel I'm trying to figure out and then go looking. Later on the same TA diags page, it gives the frequency. It seems to work well.

Getting a list of what is switched is a joke. I got a tier 3 CSR e-mail an initial spreadsheet with the switched channels and their frequencies. That was back in early February or so, right before the TA roll-out (or crash, depending on your view of things ). They are now taking channels that were once switched and making them non-switched. So, the wonderful letters listing which channels were going to be moved to SDV and when, that the FCC made the MSOs (like TWC) send out after fining them for not doing it, are useless as guides.

There was a document that someone mentioned in this thread (or another) that Cisco had written an award winning technical document about understanding the STA1520's Diagnostic Screens. I couldn't find it in the public anywhere, but do have an e-mail into Cisco to see if I can get it. If it's award-winning, they should want to share it. It might make figuring out these things easier and giving information to TWC easier as well.

Sorry for the ramble, again. Good luck. I'm getting daily updates of posts on this thread, so let me know if you have questions.

And what's changing in August?!?!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #2212
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherebound View Post
There was a document that someone mentioned in this thread (or another) that Cisco had written an award winning technical document about understanding the STA1520's Diagnostic Screens. I couldn't find it in the public anywhere, but do have an e-mail into Cisco to see if I can get it. If it's award-winning, they should want to share it. It might make figuring out these things easier and giving information to TWC easier as well.
And what's changing in August?!?!
Yeah, I was the OP who mentioned that Cisco document. I emailed their support and got an acknowledgement, but so far no other response.

Here is a link to a Cisco paper that describes the overall SDV architecture. Doesn't help much for consumer diagnostic purposes but it illustrates the complexity of the system -- many distributed elements and a lot of communication links -- a debugging nightmare. At least it gave me an idea of what the "Carousel" is that you see in the TA diagnostics pages.

Check out this post and the following post about the August lineup changes. I clipped the notice from the DDN. They also put a legal notice in the same issue (magnifying glass required). It looks so complicated I haven't even tried to make sense of it. If this doesn't cause major pain for TiVo users I will be amazed.

and
Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #2213
ontherebound

dlfl,

Right now, I am experiencing an outage of about 35 switched channels from numbers 4 to 788, so in other words, for a UDCP user, the entire channel spectrum. I've reported it and am about to call my "friend" to see if he's heard ANYTHING yet. I'm guessing not.

About those channel changes, do you have the date of the posting in the DDN? Or could you possibly scan and post the listing (if it's not a pain)? I would assume it wouldn't be on the DDN's website because it was essentially an ad (required by the whatever they call the State of Ohio franchising authority -- you know, what SB185 created, and took away from the local governments). It looks like they may be moving to a channel structure more commonly found around the country. Ours in a little antiquated, but we love it and are used to it.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting pissed about this SDV outage, because everyday I check for channels, more and more are affected.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #2214
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherebound View Post
dlfl,
.........About those channel changes, do you have the date of the posting in the DDN? Or could you possibly scan and post the listing (if it's not a pain)? I would assume it wouldn't be on the DDN's website..........
Actually, they gave a URL in the notice:

www.twcinfo.com

which redirects to:

http://twcinci.com/printyourlineup/

The web page has everything the paper notice had plus more.

and
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #2215
gamo62

TWC Cincinnati going SDV on August 24th

Just got a mailer from TWC. They are going SDV on Aug. 24th.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #2216
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Just got a mailer from TWC. They are going SDV on Aug. 24th.
They went SDV long ago. They are just doing more channels.

and
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #2217
wublet
total newb

Comcast Oakland CA - Series 3 - What SDV box?

[Note: This issue is SOLVED a few posts later, it is NOT an SDV issue and also does NOT affect Series 3 owners. Sorry for posting under the wrong category; I misinterpreted the situation.]

I'm on Comcast in Oakland CA with a Series3, running just fine with 2 CableCARDs.

Just received a "network enhancement" mailer saying to go to comcast.com/digitalnow with the Unique Digital ID in the letter, to get the appropriate box delivered for self-install. I presume, though it does not say, that this is an SDV conversion issue.

Before I go and do anything foolish... which box option should I be getting for my situation? What would the wrong options be, so I can be on guard for them?

Thanks in advance to any and all who may reply!

- - - - - - - - -

Further info from the mailer, in case it's helpful to anyone:
- Contact them by Sept. 1 2009 to order equipment
- Change effective Sept. 1 2009
- Network enhancement to affect channels in the 35-82 range except 76 & 77
- First 2 adapters free, add'l ones billed @ $1.00/mo

Last edited by wublet : 07-31-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: (Edited to avoid false alarms.)
wublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #2218
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wublet View Post
I'm on Comcast in Oakland CA with a Series3, running just fine with 2 CableCARDs.

Just received a "network enhancement" mailer saying to go to comcast.com/digitalnow with the Unique Digital ID in the letter, to get the appropriate box delivered for self-install. I presume, though it does not say, that this is an SDV conversion issue.

Before I go and do anything foolish... which box option should I be getting for my situation? What would the wrong options be, so I can be on guard for them? ........
I assume the "box" is a Tuning Adapter (TA). AFAIK, there have never been options in selecting a TA. Each cable system has just one model. Did the documentation mention options?

Read the first post in this thread to get an idea of what SDV is and what TA's do.

and
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #2219
wublet
total newb

Thanks for replying.

The reason I ask about different options is that the flyer says "We'll help determine what equipment is best for you." I do understand about SDV and TA, and only avoided using those terms because (a) the mailer doesn't use them, and (b) I haven't found any posts here on tivocommunity about Comcast Oakland going SDV, so SDV is only a guess on my part.
wublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #2220
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wublet View Post
Thanks for replying.

The reason I ask about different options is that the flyer says "We'll help determine what equipment is best for you." I do understand about SDV and TA, and only avoided using those terms because (a) the mailer doesn't use them, and (b) I haven't found any posts here on tivocommunity about Comcast Oakland going SDV, so SDV is only a guess on my part.
Yeah, I went to the ComCast web site you gave and poked around. The "Digital Transport Adapter" they mention sure doesn't appear to be a Tuning Adapter for use with TiVo's. TA's have a USB connection used to communicate with the TiVo. And they do NOT have a remote control!

There is no hint they are talking about SDV, which would be the only reason a TiVo would need a TA. Maybe you will luck out and not have to add anything!

and