TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
cmshep222

Smile Great experience switching from Comcast to Fios

The switch to Fios (from Comcast) could not have gone smoother. Fios guy installs everything (doing triple play). Pop my Comcast CableCard out....rerun guided set-up on my Tivo HD...Verizon pairs my host ID with the Fios CableCard. Done!

Best thing of all...all my Season Passes were automatically re-mapped to the Fios channels. I wasn't expecting that, I thought I'd have to reset all of them up. Awesome!

About as seamless transition as anyone could wish for.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

I wish FiOS was offering service in my area.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
jay_man2
jay_man-also

I had the same great experience here back in December switching from Comcast to FiOS.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

When I set up my OTA-only S3 with CableCARD it kept the existing Season Passes as real, too.

I was surprised when the TiVo started making recording before I added a single season pass.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 07-17-2009 at 01:49 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
When I set up my OTA-only S3 with CableCARD it made the Season Passes real, too.

I think it only works if the channels are in the same place in each.
It works using the station ID - i.e. WCBSDT, KABCDT, etc. The actual numbers don't matter which is why it works when changing providers.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
cmshep222

re

Yes, it must be Station "call letters" like WTVRDT for CBS. The channel numbers on Comcast are not the same as Fios.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
fallingwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222 View Post
The switch to Fios (from Comcast) could not have gone smoother. Fios guy installs everything (doing triple play)...

About as seamless transition as anyone could wish for.
Do you know if the installer removed your copper connection, or did you tell him to leave it in place?
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Same here. Perfect experience, moved all my passes, etc....

No, my FiOS guy left my copper although I heard they want to remove it becuase copper is soooo expensive right now
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
cmshep222

The new Fios box on the side of the house was placed next to the old Verizon "traditional landline" phone interface. The new Fios box taps into the existing phone network in my house (via the old Verizon "traditional" phone interface on the side of my house) and hence works like a traditional landline. Obviously, I know it's not a traditional landline. But it acts like one.

Is that what you meant by leaving my "copper connecton"?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Verizon leaves the existing copper strung from the street to the house in the event you ever need to revert back to a non-FIOS (i.e. POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service) phone service.

FIOS uses your existing twisted pair wiring inside the house. No special equipment is necessary other than the ONT (Optical network Interface) which provides the drop for phone, Internet and TV. Inside the premises, Internet is delivered via either coax or Cat-5 and TV is delivered via coax.

The nice thing about coax Internet is it's implemented with MoCa so you can use NIMs to provide wired Internet to locations in the house where no CAT-5 runs exist. Sweet.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
moonscape

Quote:
The switch to Fios (from Comcast) could not have gone smoother.
I hate you. That's all.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
dcollens

FIOS coming to my neighborhood

I just received a note on my door that Verizon will soon be burying fiber to our 'hood soon (outback of Vienna, VA).

I can't wait and will be one of the first to leave Cox for FIOS.

Glad to hear that the experience was good. I have a friend who didn't have such a great go of it the first time he tried, but that was in the early days when they didn't have their dispatch problems worked out.

Here's hoping that it comes soon.

dc
dcollens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
swinca
Menace to society

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20TIL6 View Post

Me too. Or U-verse.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Squeege96

I am glad to hear that things went smoothly. I just made the switch myself, and the installation went great. However, the Verizon Business office is another story.

Based on their website, if I ordered online, I would receive an additional $5 off per month. Saving $60 over the course of the year sounded pretty good, so I went through the online signup. Unfortunately, when it comes to choosing equipment, Cable Cards are NOT an option. I clicked on their live help, and was told to order 4 cable boxes instead, then call and tell them to change the order to cablecards. Well, I did as I was told....and got the biggest headache ever. After several follow up calls, my installation was cancelled the night before it was supposed to happen. Unfortunately, no one told the installer (who was great, BTW.) He did all the leg work, setting up the new FiOS box and battery backup, but when it came time to active, the system showed a cancelled order, and he had to UNDO all that he did.

While the experience with the Bus office wasn't what I was hoping for, I am now saving $70 per month, received a $150 gift card, and 2x as many HD channels, and killer download speeds. Definitely worth it.
Squeege96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinca View Post
Me too. Or U-verse.
If you're looking to use a Series 3 (HD) model TiVo with U-verse don't hold your breath. U-verse delivers IPTV which was not compatible with CABLECards last time I checked.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
jstrazz
Jstrazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20TIL6 View Post
I do too! Just switched to satellite and I'm now learning of horror stories involving billing practices and programming practices with regard to their HD sports offerings. I use my TiVo Series 3 for OTA only with a separate DVR for satellite. FIOS would allow me to use my TiVo for everything again.
jstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
cmshep222

Squeege96,

I had the exact same thing happen with ordering. I just ordered an HD Box online.

But my experience was better after that.

The installer called me the morning of the install to verify my order. I told him I'd like a CableCard instead of the HD Box. He balked at first...but I nicely said "please"? He said he'd call me back in a few minutes to let me know about the Cablecard. Called me back 5 minutes later and said "you're good, I got your cableCard".

My installer was AWESOME.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Squeege96,

My installer was AWESOME.
The 2 installers I had were top-shelf as well. They also enjoyed the beer I provided so much they both dropped a couple NIM-100's on me. Now that's awesome

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
fallingwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
...my FiOS guy left my copper although I heard they want to remove it becuase copper is soooo expensive right now
Quote:
The new Fios box on the side of the house was placed next to the old Verizon "traditional landline" phone interface. The new Fios box taps into the existing phone network in my house (via the old Verizon "traditional" phone interface on the side of my house) and hence works like a traditional landline. Obviously, I know it's not a traditional landline. But it acts like one.

Is that what you meant by leaving my "copper connecton"?
I was referring to the actual wiring to the old Verizon interface.

Right now FIOS isn't available in my area. Verizon serves a large area in the county with wired telephone service and Quest supplies wired telephone service in town. Both offer DSL internet and a combination billing link to DirecTV service for TV. Cellphone service is available from several providers. There's even a wireless, moderately high speed internet service based on cellphone technology in town. Dishnetwork and DirecTV are available as standalone TV services. Comcast offers cable broadband service for internet, TV, and telephone everywhere in the county (except a couple of relatively isolated places.)

All of these (except Verizon and Quest at the same address) are available and compete with each other. When/if FIOS becomes available I'll check into it. But I wouldn't consider it unless the copper connections stayed in place. Currently we use Comcast for cable, phone, and internet and don't use the Quest copper connection. But I'm glad it's there.

Comcast and Verizon offer competing services, both in quality and price. I want that choice and won't allow myself to be manipulated into something new just because it's new. If Comcast was cheaper and FIOS had better quality I don't know which I'd choose; it'd depend on how big the differences were. I'm not unhappy with Comcast right now.

Last edited by fallingwater : 07-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Verizon leaves the existing copper strung from the street to the house in the event you ever need to revert back to a non-FIOS (i.e. POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service) phone service.
I think they're supposed to leave the existing copper strung. However, there have been occasional reports that they don't. Verizon really, really, really wants you to keep using the fiber; it's more reliable and they are (probably) allowed a greater rate of return (and many years of depreciation). So "mistakes" sometimes happen. I'm sure they can just blame it on overzealous "craft" people, rather than it being an official company policy.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
Norman B

Greetings all!
When I first moved into my house in the Seattle area 7 years ago I had HD DTV & slow internet.
Comcast came through my neighborhood about 4 years ago & offered high speed internet & HD channels.
I switched & EBAY'ed my TIVO's.
Verizon came through my neighborhood about 6 months ago & laid FIOS.
Today I opened my Comcast bill & was shocked to see it went from $176 per month to $226 (I have 5 DVR's). No warning what-so-ever. Called customer service to ask why & they said my "promo" period was up? HUH? Have I been on a "promo period" all of these years? Told them to change it back to $176 or I will be switching to FIOS (probably switch anyway because I am a very spiteful person). They said they can't even look to see if they can do anything for a week (when my billing period ends). HUH?
Long story dull, I would like to hear from anyone (preferably Seattle area) who has made the switch & how happy they are.
Also, any advice on where & which TIVO's to get would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance!
Norman B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
flynz4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman B View Post
Greetings all!
When I first moved into my house in the Seattle area 7 years ago I had HD DTV & slow internet.
Comcast came through my neighborhood about 4 years ago & offered high speed internet & HD channels.
I switched & EBAY'ed my TIVO's.
Verizon came through my neighborhood about 6 months ago & laid FIOS.
Today I opened my Comcast bill & was shocked to see it went from $176 per month to $226 (I have 5 DVR's). No warning what-so-ever. Called customer service to ask why & they said my "promo" period was up? HUH? Have I been on a "promo period" all of these years? Told them to change it back to $176 or I will be switching to FIOS (probably switch anyway because I am a very spiteful person). They said they can't even look to see if they can do anything for a week (when my billing period ends). HUH?
Long story dull, I would like to hear from anyone (preferably Seattle area) who has made the switch & how happy they are.
Also, any advice on where & which TIVO's to get would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance!
I am not in Seattle... but I am a few hours south of you.

I started with Comcast (TV) in 1994, added Comcast Internet in ~1996/7, switched to DTV in ~1999 (Stayed with Comcast for Internet)... and most recently switched to FIOS (TV, Internet, Phone) in 2008... all in the same house.

If I ever decide to move. FIOS availability will be a more important criteria than indoor plumbing.

/Jim

Last edited by flynz4 : 07-18-2009 at 01:36 PM.
flynz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
fallingwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
(I) most recently switched to FIOS (TV, Internet, Phone) in 2008... all in the same house.

If I ever decide to move. FIOS availability will be a more important criteria than indoor plumbing.

/Jim
Why?

(Cost?) (Quality?) (Both?) (Something else?)

Does FIOS require a commitment? Do you still have a copper connection if you ever wanted (improbable as that may be) to switch back?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Why?

(Cost?) (Quality?) (Both?) (Something else?)

Does FIOS require a commitment? Do you still have a copper connection if you ever wanted (improbable as that may be) to switch back?
Fios bundles tend to cost a good amount less than any competition especially if you like all the channels. I have their top bundle which was 129.99 which includes every SD and HD channel including the movie channels along with internet 20/5 and phone with unlimited long distance. I believe Directv was 109.99 for all channels without HD and then 79.99 for phone and internet through Verizon. This is of course before taxes and receivers.

The picture quality is much better than DTV and I only have SD sets right now so this is comparing SD to SD.

They do cut the copper connection. I have always had Verizon as my local phone service and I don't even think we really have an option for anyone else so I don't know what happens if you cancel Verizon to go with someone else. I would imagine they would run a line to the house just like Verizon runs the fiber drop to the house when you switch to Fios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #25
fallingwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Fios bundles tend to cost a good amount less than any competition especially if you like all the channels. I have their top bundle which was 129.99 which includes every SD and HD channel including the movie channels along with internet 20/5 and phone with unlimited long distance.
The price is right! Is that a promo rate or the regular FIOS price?

We were getting a promo Comcast rate of $155 for Triple Play, similiar to FIOS' top bundle except it incuded only HBO and Starz. After a year the price went over $200 so after dropping Starz it's now $185.

Quote:
The picture quality is much better than DTV and I only have SD sets right now so this is comparing SD to SD.
It would be interesting to compare Comcast hi-def quality, which seems pretty good, with FIOS hi-def. I've gotten a second-hand impression that FIOS quality is good.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #26
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The price is right! Is that a promo rate or the regular FIOS price?

We were getting a promo Comcast rate of $155 for Triple Play, similiar to FIOS' top bundle except it incuded only HBO and Starz. After a year the price went over $200 so after dropping Starz it's now $185.

It would be interesting to compare Comcast hi-def quality, which seems pretty good, with FIOS hi-def. I've gotten a second-hand impression that FIOS quality is good.
That is the regular price but it is the old bundle price. They just announced new bundles back around June 22nd. I believe the new bundle is 119.99 +35 for all movie channels. Also this includes new speeds at 25/15 versus 20/5. You have to check your area though because the prices do vary per region. Also you can somewhat customize if you don't want all the channels and that last I looked.

They have 3 promos going or about to start for new customers. One is a free netbook, another is a free handicam, or the third is $30 off for 6 months.

All of this includes a year contract with a two year price guarantee. Cable cards are 3.99 a month and HD STB are 9.99 a month.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #27
jctivo

Stupid FIOS Telephone Question

So I am switch from Cox to FIOS because that stupid tuner adapter keeps going on the fritz and I'm tired of dealing with it.

I have a TiVo HD DVR.

My question is, my telephone right now comes into the house in Room A which is 3 rooms away on the other end of the house than the garage. The FIOS installers are coming this Saturday but last week they dug up my yard and I can see the FIOS cable coming to the wall of my garage.

My question is, I don't have a telephone connection in my garage. How do they get the phone connected to the rest of the house. There doesn't seem to me an easy way go from the basement/garage through the top floor rooms into the attic.

Any ideas on how they usually do it? I don't want a cable running around the outside of my house?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tivo Concept is the best thing since: Remote Control, Refrigerator & AC
jctivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
innocentfreak

It really depends on your house. Usually they install the ONT on the wall by the electrical box. They have to connect it to a ground line and the electrical box usually has a grounding rod already in the ground they can connect to.

Truth be told just be upfront and honest with the installer before they start about what you want and if possible have a plan laid out before hand. Most of the Verizon installers in my experience have been really good and friendly and willing to do what you want. As long as you discuss it with them before they start they can usually work with you.

For my setup they installed the ONT and battery backup in the garage. They then ran 3 lines into the attic. One to feed the old phone box on the opposite side of the house since I don't have a central point they could use. The second to feed my cat 5e connection in my closet where I have installed all my routers and switches and then the cable line to the same closet since that is where I also have all the RG6 lines come to a central location.

Is the outside wall of bedroom A where your existing phone box is? If so the line may run into the attic or basement and then branch out from there. If that is the case if you can find that point, I would guess they would run the main line there since I believe the ONT replaces the old phone box. The same goes for your cable outlets. There is usually some point where the main line goes to before it splits to feed all the outlets. If you can find both those points, you will have a better idea what they can and can't do with your install.

I would also highly suggest you read the two verizon forums here and here. You should be able to get some ideas about installs and there is a ton of info on Fios also.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #29
jctivo

Thanks

Unfortunately, the new FIOS access point and the old copper line are at opposite ends of the house.

Thanks for the information, I will read the forums.

James

Tivo Concept is the best thing since: Remote Control, Refrigerator & AC
jctivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #30
vurbano

My FIOS installer had never seen a TivoHD before. It worked in spite of her.