TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #4261
lafos

Cablecards are not even a small business driver for the cable companies. They would not carry them if not forced, and they don't see it helping build their customer base. Hence, no real training for their service people.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #4262
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am paying now for two "S" Cards in my Series 3 TiVo. One is $2.75 and the additional one is $4.75. Works fine and the dual tuners are great.

What are the chances I can request a single "M" card, find out they have one, get it installed (either picking it up myself or having a tech come out,) having it work well, and actually reducing my monthly bill? Or is all of this just crazy talk?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #4263
jonboy117

It's funny that TWC has no M-cards... there was one in the back of the digital cable box they used to rent to me.
jonboy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #4264
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos View Post
Cablecards are not even a small business driver for the cable companies. They would not carry them if not forced, and they don't see it helping build their customer base. Hence, no real training for their service people.
Sounds correct to me. I can't imagine what incentive the CATV cos. would have to please TiVo owners. My install is scheduled for Thursday. I'm going to give it a reasonable chance but I've mentally prepared myself to live without digital cable rather than endure some big hassle. The disadvantages are obvious, (fewer channels and only the QAM HD channels.) The advantages include:
1. No cable card/tuning adapter installation hassle.
2. No copy protection limits on TTG - Big for me -- see TVAP link in signature.
3. Save about $15 per month.

And having a TiVo HD instead of an S2 model still has major advantages:
1. Twice as much HDD storage as the S2 even with the minimum HD model.
2. Can stream mpeg4's (without transcoding) using StreamBaby (big!).
3. Still get the QAM HD channels (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS).

I have a SamSung 40" 1080p flat panel. Although HD looks truly stunning on it, SD content looks very good too. I can live with mostly SD content. MIght be a different story if it was a larger screen, of course.

So I've adjusted my expectations -- I'm going to be happy with or without cable cards!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-06-2009 at 09:02 PM.
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #4265
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I am paying now for two "S" Cards in my Series 3 TiVo. One is $2.75 and the additional one is $4.75. Works fine and the dual tuners are great.

What are the chances I can request a single "M" card, find out they have one, get it installed (either picking it up myself or having a tech come out,) having it work well, and actually reducing my monthly bill? Or is all of this just crazy talk?
Except the S3 only supports S-cards (or M-cards in single stream mode - thus still needing two). To get full M-card support, you'd need a TiVo HD or TiVo HD-XL.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #4266
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
Except the S3 only supports S-cards (or M-cards in single stream mode - thus still needing two). To get full M-card support, you'd need a TiVo HD or TiVo HD-XL.
Gotcha. Good to know, thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #4267
tripmaster

Replacing cable cards - repost?

Sorry if this is a repost, but seems like my orig post got lost.

Im getting 2 new cable cards from TWCNYC tomorrow. I requested M cards.

Is there a special process to replace old CCs? I was going to:

1. standby
2. power down
3. remove CCs
4. power up
5. install new CCs one at a time as described in TiVo FAQ

Does this sound right? Dont need to do a system reset do I?
tripmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #4268
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaster View Post
Is there a special process to replace old CCs? I was going to:

1. standby
2. power down
3. remove CCs
4. power up
5. install new CCs one at a time as described in TiVo FAQ
Why bother with steps 1, 2, 4? Just remove the old cards & put in the new ones.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #4269
tripmaster

Dont need to power down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
You can hotswap em?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #4270
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Sounds correct to me. I can't imagine what incentive the CATV cos. would have to please TiVo owners. My install is scheduled for Thursday. I'm going to give it a reasonable chance but I've mentally prepared myself to live without digital cable rather than endure some big hassle. The disadvantages are obvious, (fewer channels and only the QAM HD channels.) The advantages include:
1. No cable card/tuning adapter installation hassle.
2. No copy protection limits on TTG - Big for me -- see TVAP link in signature.
3. Save about $15 per month.

And having a TiVo HD instead of an S2 model still has major advantages:
1. Twice as much HDD storage as the S2 even with the minimum HD model.
2. Can stream mpeg4's (without transcoding) using StreamBaby (big!).
3. Still get the QAM HD channels (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS).

I have a SamSung 40" 1080p flat panel. Although HD looks truly stunning on it, SD content looks very good too. I can live with mostly SD content. MIght be a different story if it was a larger screen, of course.

So I've adjusted my expectations -- I'm going to be happy with or without cable cards!
You may be happier without cards. I've noticed with the cablecards and tuning adapter that TWC maps digital over the analog channels, rendering all but the locals copy-protected. This in effect kills MRV and TTG on a TWC system. We have a S3 and HD with cards, and one HD no cards but antenna and analog cable. The last lets us use MRV and TTG at least some of the time.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #4271
tripmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
Worked as you suggested. Had to reboot though. And, redid guided setup.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #4272
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What channels should I get?

I hope someone in the Southwest Ohio area can help me with this. I'm getting digital service installed tomorrow (the minimum service, about $66/mo plus cable card rental). I can't get a straight answer from TWC on what channels I should receive.

Via email, I asked them:

Quote:
If I pay $66.xx for "Digital Cable" service in the Dayton North area, which
channels in the 99 - 1407 range will I get without paying more and without
paying per view ?
Here is their answer:

Quote:
I understand that you would like to know what channels you will be receiving with Digital Cable service.
I apologize for any inconvenience and will be glad to help you.
With a subscription to Digital Cable service, you will receive, channels falling in the following packages.

Basic Service
Standard Service
Digital Basic Service
Digital Standard Tier
Digital Choice Package
Digital Movie Tier
Digital Music
Digital Converter Required
Now I know this is wrong for two reasons:
1. It includes multiple HBO, Encore and Showtime channels -- premium channels that would not be in the lowest cost digital service.
2. It doesn't include HD channels that I know are included with digital service.

If someone could tell me what channels (or packages) I should receive, it would help me a lot in testing tomorrow's installation.

Thanks

and
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #4273
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm pissed TWC dropped HDNet. I enjoyed some of their movies, and also the movie trailer shows. Don't think any other network has that kind of show.

I called and cancelled two digital tiers as a result. That'll save me $10/month. If they drop more channels I enjoy, I'll jump ship entirely.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #4274
lafos

Quote:
I hope someone in the Southwest Ohio area can help me with this. I'm getting digital service installed tomorrow (the minimum service, about $66/mo plus cable card rental). I can't get a straight answer from TWC on what channels I should receive.
If you go to the TWC web site and put in your zip code, it will list the channels by package. The HD channels all show that they need a HD converter. I suspect that they left those off. The HD channels you should get are HD versions of local broadcast or normal cable channels.

You will need the tuning adapter to get all the HD channels you should, as they switched to SDV last summer.

You should get Basic, Expanded Basic, Digital Tier, Digital music. There is an HD tier, but it really doesn't offer much.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #4275
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
If you go to the TWC web site and put in your zip code, it will list the channels by package. The HD channels all show that they need a HD converter. I suspect that they left those off. The HD channels you should get are HD versions of local broadcast or normal cable channels.

You will need the tuning adapter to get all the HD channels you should, as they switched to SDV last summer.

You should get Basic, Expanded Basic, Digital Tier, Digital music. There is an HD tier, but it really doesn't offer much.
Thanks, but I'm confused by your reply. The only packages you mention that match a package on my lineup (Englewood Ohio) are Basic and Digital Music.

There is no Expanded Basic, but I assume that would be analog anyway.

There is no Digital Tier although there are Digital Standard Tier and Digital Access Tier.

There is no HD Tier but there are HD Basic, HD Digital and HD Standard tiers.

It appears the line up for your area (Troy) is the same as mine, so I'm not sure exactly what packages you are designating.

If you could give me several specific channel numbers that you know are SDV I could at least use them to verify a correct tuning adapter installation.

Thanks.

and
Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #4276
awyeah
TiVo owns me.

This isn't related to the general discussion on cablecards... surprisingly mine is working well!

I've been noticing a lot of audio dropouts on Comedy Central. I'm pretty sure these are only happening on the recordings, I don't notice it live. I'm in Northeast Ohio.

I've also noticed issues rewinding recordings on Comedy Central. Sometimes it seems to get "stuck" during the rewind.

Anyone else having issues like this? Not sure if it's a problem with Time Warner or with my TiVo.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #4277
lafos

The only one I'm sure is SDV is the golf HD channel 783. If the TA is installed properly, you should see a solid green led on the A front. If you go to the DVR diagnostics screen and scroll past the two tuners and two cablecards, you should see the entry for the TA, and it should show "Channel List Received: Yes"
Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #4278
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The only one I'm sure is SDV is the golf HD channel 783. If the TA is installed properly, you should see a solid green led on the A front. If you go to the DVR diagnostics screen and scroll past the two tuners and two cablecards, you should see the entry for the TA, and it should show "Channel List Received: Yes"
Is the golf HD channel a premium channel? Had my CC and tuning adapter installation this afternoon and mostly things seem OK. The green light is on steady on the tuniing adapter. However I don't get 783 and the TA "Channel List Received" says "No". Of course TWC has been totally unable to give me any useful information about what channels I should be getting and which ones are SDV. Before the install, I called and they assured me the installer would give me a channel lineup listing. Of course the installer said, "they never give us those." He also said this was only the 2nd TiVo cable card install he had done in 3 yrs. Neither he nor the second guy he called in to help him knew much about the TA. (This after I emphasized to the office when setting up the appt. that I wanted their best TiVo experienced installer and would wait until he/she was available! ) At least they did have the CC's and the TA and they DID already know that the cable patch that comes in the TA kit is a POS.

Well .... I'll be d__mned! As I was typing this post I tried rebooting my HD, and, lo and behold, after that 783 is there along with a bunch of other channels that seemed suspiciously missing! And now the TA diagnostic info says the channel list has been received!

Looking good! Now if I can just avoid green screens, lock-ups, gray screens and all the other HD problems reported on this forum ..........

Thanks for your help, and special kudos to bkdtv and richsadams for their amazing help on this forum!

and
Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #4279
dlfl
Cranky old novice

After my install (see previous post) I'm missing four channels that I think I'm supposed to get (out of 200+), up in the 700 range. Before I call TWC, I would like to have the most informed idea of what the problem is -- hopefully I can tell them exactly what needs to be done.

All the diagnostics indicate the CC's and TA are functioning properly, and the TA green light is on steady. There is guide data for the missing channels. When I tune them, I get guide data but blank video and no audio - no message the signal is missing or the TA doesn't allow that channel. The DVR diagnostics for the tuner tuning that channel all look nominal, just as if it had successfully tuned that channel -- signal strength, SNR are normal and corrected and uncorrected errors are zero.

I've restarted the TiVo several times, power cycled the TA, disconnected and reconnected the TA USB several times, all with no effect.

I suspect this means some authorization or similar operation needs to be done by TWC -- but what exactly?

I've also noticed a couple of instances of channel video freezing, just as if you hit the pause control. You can jog it out of the freeze by playing with the pause and play buttons, or swapping tuners with the live video button.

I have 11.0c software on my HD.

Edit: Problem "solved". This (no video, no audio) is what happens when a channel isn't authorized for your account. In this case the missing channels are premium channels, although it was impossible to know that from the confusing channel line up web page and the confusing info TWC gave me on the phone yesterday.

The video freezing effect is something else and still unsolved.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-10-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #4280
pgreene8

I use TWCNYC and they gave me an M card for my Tivo HD.
TiVo S4 Premiere with M2 cable card
pgreene8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #4281
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I hope someone in the Southwest Ohio area can help me with this. I'm getting digital service installed tomorrow (the minimum service, about $66/mo plus cable card rental). I can't get a straight answer from TWC on what channels I should receive........
Thanks
Well after having my digital cable for a day and surveying all the channels I get, and after another conversation with TWC, I am reasonably convinced that the packages I get are:

Basic Service
Standard Service
Digital Basic
HD Basic Tier
HD Digital Tier
HD Standard Tier
Digital Standard Tier
Digital Music

This is a lot of channels and a lot of HD, a much better buy than the analog service that costs about $54/mo.

I post this in case it might be helpful to anyone else, recognizing it's probably correct only for the SouthWest Ohio area, or maybe just the Dayton area.

One tip when using the channel line up web page is to check "Sort By Package". Much less confusing (to me at least) than the default layout.

and
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #4282
irishjoe
Raoul Duke

Angry PPV with Tivo HD and TWCNY

This is my first post so please forgive me if it is in the wrong spot.

I live in northern NY and am a not so happy Time Warner subscriber. I never thought I would be saying this but I actually miss Comcast.

Anyway on to my gripe for today....

Has anyone with a multi-stream cable card and tuning adapter been able to order UFC 100? I was told that I would need a new thru2way card (which you will be amazed to hear is not yet available in my area) in order to view any PPV programs.

I never had this problem before when I was rocking a cable card with Comcast but that was pre tuning adapter days.
irishjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #4283
Kahless

Arrow TWC & Ohio

I forgot all about this forum, glad I found it again.
We had a rebuild over the last 6 months of our old Adelphia system here in Hide A-Way Hills. Time Warner put in fiber optic cable and removed a lot of bad Adelphia equipment. Service though, well their phone people need to be a bit sharper. About 2 weeks ago I received a phone call from one of their installers telling me that he would swap out my old cable box for a new one. I told him I now had a new Tivo series 3 HD DVR and would like to get it set up. He came out the appointed day and time. He tried to get me to use a TWC DVR, he said he was not authorized to install Cablecards. I politely said no, he said he couldn't take my old box, I would have to turn it in to the local office. I phoned the TWC 800 number, the young lady told me the local office in Lancaster had the Cablecards and I could go down and have them issued to me. I drove the 15 miles in to the office (no local phone number) and was told by them that they do not issue or stock Cablecards, they have to be installed by their techs from Columbus. I did turn in my old box. I went home, phoned TWC again and told them I needed either two single Cablecards or a multistream card for my Tivo. The woman on the phone apologized for the confusion and said someone would be out Wednesday with the CableCard. On Wednesday morning I got a call from their tech In Athens who told me that they were out of CableCards but would pick one up in Lancaster to install. I told them Lancaster doesn't stock them and they would need to drive the 80 miles to Columbus to get one. The next day a tech from Newark came with an SA M Card and installed it, he never had installed one before and had to get step by step directions over my phone on how to do it. After it was installed I could get maybe 1/2 of the promised HD and digital channels. He said I needed a tuning adaptor. After he left I phoned TWC, they said they would mail one to me. A week later I called to see where it was, they said they messed up, I had to drive to Columbus (40 mile drive each way) to get one, they didn't mail them out. I drove to the office I was told to go to. They informed me that that office doesn't carry the tuning adaptors and I would have to go to the main office which was another 10 miles away. I did get a tuning adaptor there. I did install it as per the instructions. I got maybe another 20 channels, still missing about 100. I phoned Tivo, who had me check all the settings on the Cablecard. It is their opinion the Cablecard is not configured correctly. I have another TWC tech coming on Wednesday, supposedly to fix it.
Kahless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #4284
Garycal

Red face Sucess in Corning/Elmira, but with pain

Got my TivoHD up and running with TWC's type M card and the Cisco TA, but not without pain. Here is the history of errors:
1. Installers showed up without cablecard. Told me the Tivo does not need one.
2. Installer showed up with cablecard, but without Tuning adapter that was on their work order. Told me I did not need one.
3. Tuning adapter arrives by mail, but when I go to plug in the USB cable the connector on the TA litterally falls apart. Someone in China did not use solder that day.
4. New tuning adapter arrives, but I cannot get the green light to stay on and therefore still cannot get many channels.
5. The "digital head end" people in Syracuse correctly diagnose that I have a weak signal and put a work request for a truck roll to boost my signal
6. Tech shows up and puts a cheap amplifier in my house because he cannot find the box outside to tweak the signal
7. Tech is driving away and spots the box from the road and boosts the signal there.
8. 3 weeks and dozens of calls later, it works.
9. After watching ota high-def uncompressed before I got the Tivo, I am amazed how BAD the cable HD programming looks with all those digital compression boxes around people's heads.
Garycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #4285
RichieW13

Time Warner charged me $20 for the privilege of allowing their tech to come and plug the cablecard into my box.
RichieW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4286
dlfl
Cranky old novice

HD Science channel problems

Is anyone else, especially in the SouthWest Ohio region, seeing occasional pixellation, momentary video freezes and audio dropouts on the Science HD channel, 781 ? This typically happens maybe 5 to 10 times during an hour long program. This is on a TiVo HD.

I think this is an SDV channel. (Anyone know for sure?).

I've tried setting the other tuner to the SD version of the Science channel (109) playing the same program and the problems do NOT occur there.

I think the SD channel is NOT an SDV channel (Anyone know for sure?).

The diagnostics for the "bad" channel are all good: SNR=34 db, Signal Strength = 85, and no RS errors corrected or uncorrected. The TA green light is steady on all the time.

and
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #4287
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Hope I can stay digital....

Quote:
........ My install is scheduled for Thursday. I'm going to give it a reasonable chance but I've mentally prepared myself to live without digital cable rather than endure some big hassle. ...........
But after having digital (cable cards/tuning adapter/HD channels) for five days I really hope I can keep it. I enjoy the extra channels and the HD quality a lot.

I believe my system is set up and functioning properly. However I do get some glitches, particularly in HD channels (which are mostly SDV I believe). My previous post is an example but it occurs on other HD channels to varying degrees. It's never reached un-viewable levels, except for one incident where one tuner's output disappeared and I had to restart the TiVo. I would rate it as 99% perfect. I never see any RS corrected errors and rarely any RS uncorrected errors. Supposedly this means the glitches I see are all in the delivered signal.... but I suspect TWC might dispute that.

If it doesn't get any worse I will definitely want to live with it rather than reverting to analog cable. If it gets worse I will probably just revert rather than endure the hassle of trying to get TWC and TiVo to fix a problem that they will blame on each other.

I wonder how much longer analog cable service will even be offered?

and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-15-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #4288
bobrt6676

Quote:
But after having digital (cable cards/tuning adapter/HD channels) for five days I really hope I can keep it. I enjoy the extra channels and the HD quality a lot.

I believe my system is set up and functioning properly. However I do get some glitches, particularly in HD channels (which are mostly SDV I believe). My previous post is an example but it occurs on other HD channels to varying degrees. It's never reached un-viewable levels, except for one incident where one tuner's output disappeared and I had to restart the TiVo. I would rate it as 99% perfect. I never see any RS corrected errors and rarely any RS uncorrected errors. Supposedly this means the glitches I see are all in the delivered signal.... but I suspect TWC might dispute that.

If it doesn't get any worse I will definitely want to live with it rather than reverting to analog cable. If it gets worse I will probably just revert rather than endure the hassle of trying to get TWC and TiVo to fix a problem that they will blame on each other.

I wonder how much longer analog cable service will even be offered?
My issue channel is 754 HGTV. Frequent audio dropouts and occaisional pixilation. Just enough to irritate not enough to change. But from reading posts not really much I can do about it. Goes with the Tivo territory I guess.
bobrt6676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #4289
abredt
West Valley TW L.A.

Time Warner West Valley of L.A. on a Series 3. Getting lots of audio dropouts on many channels. Anyone know why or how to correct it?

Thanks, CB
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #4290
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
My issue channel is 754 HGTV. Frequent audio dropouts and occaisional pixilation. Just enough to irritate not enough to change. But from reading posts not really much I can do about it. Goes with the Tivo territory I guess.
Unfortunately I think "Goes with the TiVo territory" may be correct. If most or all channels are viewable with no more than occasional glitches, that may be what you have to settle for. As long as the glitches don't cause lock ups or interrupt recordings, that is.

I think the cable card/tuning adapter system for handling SDV is a marginal thing. Given the lack of incentive for the CATV operators to make it work better, I don't have much hope it will improve. Then add the insult that MRV and TTG is blocked on almost all channels.

It looks like Verizon FIOS is a whole different story. They don't use SDV so Tuning Adapters aren't required; no copy protection; and with 11.0d their pixellation problems apparently are solved.

TWC is just starting to roll out their version of FIOS to apartments and condos in the Cincy area. How good will it be? And when will it ever reach us? And given TWC's policies it will probably be all copy protected.

and