TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #6571
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Those are NOT Comcast channel numbers. Have you checked channels in the 7xx region?
I thought maybe they were renamed and went through the list. No luck.

Also, you'd think the tech could have said "oh, Fox HD would be 7XX"

I'm confused how they could not be comcast channel numbers.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #6572
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal View Post
I'm confused how they could not be comcast channel numbers.
Comcast doesn't use any tuner that shows cable channel numbers like that. Those are over-the-air channel numbers. In your TiVo HD when you are watching a channel with that numbering (channel "dash" number), you are tuned to an over-the-air digital channel, received by the 8VSB tuner inside the TiVo HD connected to the over-the-air antenna input.

For all channels, guide data comes from TiVo -- typically over the internet connection you've plugged it into, or via the phone line connection if you don't have the TiVo connected to the internet. It never comes from the cable company.

The only thing delivered via the cable company about the channels (other than the actual channel content itself) is the mapping information the TiVo HD receiver needs to actually tune to a specific channel number. That mapping information comes to the TiVo HD via the CableCARD.

If you see guide data for your cable channels on your TiVo, but not for your over-the-air channels, then either the TiVo guide data containing channel information for your area is missing the necessary information about your over-the-air channels, or you have not configured the region properly during guided setup such that the TiVo doesn't know what the correct over-the-air channels it should be mapping to guide information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #6573
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Comcast doesn't use any tuner that shows cable channel numbers like that. Those are over-the-air channel numbers. In your TiVo HD when you are watching a channel with that numbering (channel "dash" number), you are tuned to an over-the-air digital channel, received by the 8VSB tuner inside the TiVo HD connected to the over-the-air antenna input.
[snip]
If you see guide data for your cable channels on your TiVo, but not for your over-the-air channels, then either the TiVo guide data containing channel information for your area is missing the necessary information about your over-the-air channels, or you have not configured the region properly during guided setup such that the TiVo doesn't know what the correct over-the-air channels it should be mapping to guide information.
I think I must not be being clear.

I plug my tivo into my cable.
I say "scan cable channels"
I get 8-1 with no guide data.

I plug my tivo into my antenna
I say "scan antenna channels"
I get 8-1 data WITH guide data.

If i plug both my cable and antenna into my Tivo I get (In my channel display.)
8-1 [no guide data]
8-1 [with guide data]

I'm 99.9999% sure that Chn 8-1 "with guide data" option is my
antenna because
1. It tells me it's over the air in the info (don't have the exact verbage
right now)
2. It frequently goes black/loses signal/ etc. Exactly like you would expect form OTA
3. If i turn off my antenna i lose the channel.

Now Chn 8-1 with the "no guide data".
I NEVER lose the signal.
It shows up when I tell my tv to scan for channels on cable.

Somehow, the -1 channels are coming in over cable.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #6574
a68oliver

If you have cablecards properly installed and configured, Comcast should remap the 8-1 channel number (which is the designation the channel uses off the air) to a cable channel number. It would be somethinng like 7xx or 9xx. Without properly working cablecards, you can scan for cable and get numbers like 8-1. HOWEVER, guide data is not supported for those channels. You must have cablecards working to get guide data on digital cable channels. They are not needed for digital off the air channels.

IIRC, you cannot scan for cable channels if you have cablecards installed.

Didn't you already cancel the cablecards/digital service?
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #6575
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
If you have cablecards properly installed and configured, Comcast should remap the 8-1 channel number (which is the designation the channel uses off the air) to a cable channel number. It would be somethinng like 7xx or 9xx. Without properly working cablecards, you can scan for cable and get numbers like 8-1. HOWEVER, guide data is not supported for those channels. You must have cablecards working to get guide data on digital cable channels. They are not needed for digital off the air channels.
Yes - that's exactly how I understood it.

But when I called comcast they couldn't tell me what the channels would be mapped to. And I wasn't able to find them. After further pressing they told me that If i wanted HD channels (which what 8-1 would be for me like NBC HD or whatever) I'd need the HD box/plan.

Quote:
IIRC, you cannot scan for cable channels if you have cablecards installed.
Correct, it doesn't let you scan at all.

Quote:
Didn't you already cancel the cablecards/digital service?
Yes, so I can't experiment anymore.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #6576
drhankz

Quote:
But when I called comcast they couldn't tell me what the channels would be mapped to. .
You can find that out YOURSELF - Just go to THIS PAGE Enter you
location information and you will GET the Entire Channel Line for
your area.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #6577
inaka

In my area all the Comcast HD channels are in the 700's.

702, 705, 707, etc.

if you're trying to view an HD channel that's 8-1, 8-2, that's not a Comcast channel, but OTA.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #6578
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

Quick question about CableCard costs.

I am switching to Comcast on the 18th, and just picked up a TiVo HD. Customer service is still working on my account to make sure they bring out CableCards, but because I signed up for their promo TriplePlay, they're having trouble because the CCs have to be set up as "primary" and for some reason the rep who I spoke to the first time didn't set it up right. I figure I've got all week to hound them to get it right.

One thing that I'm curious about is if there are any other folks in this area with CableCards from Comcast. They quoted me $6.95 per card, but the FAQ on their website says the first one is free and a second one would be about $2.

Can anyone in the Southern NH area comment on what they are paying for CableCards?

Thanks.
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #6579
secondclaw

Not same state, but .. I am paying 6.95 per card now - thats their HDTV fee. They told me that the HD fee is necessary to get the cards. They also charge about $2 for 'cable card tracking' for both cards. Seems like yours is a similar deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
Quick question about CableCard costs.

I am switching to Comcast on the 18th, and just picked up a TiVo HD. Customer service is still working on my account to make sure they bring out CableCards, but because I signed up for their promo TriplePlay, they're having trouble because the CCs have to be set up as "primary" and for some reason the rep who I spoke to the first time didn't set it up right. I figure I've got all week to hound them to get it right.

One thing that I'm curious about is if there are any other folks in this area with CableCards from Comcast. They quoted me $6.95 per card, but the FAQ on their website says the first one is free and a second one would be about $2.

Can anyone in the Southern NH area comment on what they are paying for CableCards?

Thanks.

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #6580
stujac

Also not in the same state but in my case I pay nothing for the cc. Maybe this is because I kept their box but when my "deal" ran out I shot up to $110 p month for top tier digital + hbo + their box and it shows a 0.00 under cable card and a 0.00 under "additional outlet".
Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #6581
secondclaw

I had that also until last month ... Back in the beginning of the year they charged me for additional DO, but they dropped it, so I paid on ly 6.95 per card - no other fees. Last month they added a $2 charge for CC tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
it shows a 0.00 under cable card and a 0.00 under "additional outlet".

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #6582
stujac

Yeah, I'm afraid of that. I guess I can return their box as I only use it for one show.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #6583
ffitzgerald3

Comcast OTA Channel Numbers

I am in the suburban Chicago area.
Comcast does (by law) carry the over the air signal for local HD stations with the same numbers as the over the air signal, 5.1 etc. If you hook the incoming cable to your Tivo or Digital tunner TV with no cable box you will see them. (with no Tivo guide data). They rearranged numbers last year so they match the OTA station numbers.
If you get the basic digital package which used to be the extended basic package + digital starter you get a free multistream card for Tivo which remaps the local HD stations to the Comcast channel numbers, with guide data.
I pay for the basic package- about $65/month including local taxes. There is no charge for the cable card , outlet fee, HD charge or Comcast box charge
I split the incomming cable to feed both the Tivo and the TV so I can record 2 shows and watch a third live program. If I watch directly on the TV I just tune to the OTA channel number rather than the Comcast number that I use with Tivo.
ffitzgerald3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #6584
andcbii

I have a TiVo HD XL and have comcast in the Chicago suburbs. I wanted a CableCARD so i could get program info for HD channels. Currently i'm only paying for basic service, channels 2-21. Even though i'm only paying for basic service i am currently getting all the digital starter channels, 2-75, via analog signal. If i hook up a TV directly to the cable i get all the analog channels. After i got my cablecard all the analog channels i was getting "for free" disappeared and were replaced with a black screen. The only analog channel i'm getting now is the weather channel, 40, which isn't apart of the basic service.

I was wondering if comcast is blocking these channels to my cablecard or is the cablecard broken? I find it weird that if they are blocking the channels that somehow the weather channel isn't blocked... Anyone have an idea?
andcbii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #6585
DonnieZ

Comcast is here now to install my CableCard into my TivoHD...

Been here for about an hour and no joy... This is the second card. Both cards only receive channels 21 and below.

Our tech is good, he's been to our house before and knows his stuff. He's done CableCard and Tivo before.

I'm hoping he doesn't have to leave without it working...

Any advice here??!?
DonnieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #6586
MediaLivingRoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post

Been here for about an hour and no joy... This is the second card. Both cards only receive channels 21 and below.

Our tech is good, he's been to our house before and knows his stuff. He's done CableCard and Tivo before.

Any advice here??!?
Maybe your account numbers got mixed up.
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #6587
andcbii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post

Any advice here??!?
I'm having a similar problem, read post before yours. Please post up if you get a fix.
andcbii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #6588
golegappa

problem with the cablecard installation

I also had the similar problem, the technician came and he tried to install,
the card was able to get paired, but it was not getting the encrypted channels.

Only the basic channels,

did anyone faced the similar issue and what was the solution...
golegappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #6589
romulus

Cable guide won't include broadcast info

Quote:
I plug my tivo into my cable.
I say "scan cable channels"
I get 8-1 with no guide data.

I plug my tivo into my antenna
I say "scan antenna channels"
I get 8-1 data WITH guide data.
The frequencies for cable channels 2-13 are identical to those for broadcast channels 2-13. It almost sounds to me like your cable box doesn't serve those channels at all, and the digital television signal in your area is so strong that you're picking it up without an antenna. Either that or your cable box is a better antenna than your actual antenna.

It makes sense that you don't get guide info for those channels when you configure Tivo in cable mode, because Tivo will be looking for guide info for your cable provider and service area channels, and this will NOT include info for broadcast channels.

It almost seems like a flaw in the Tivo tuner scanning that it notices and collects broadcast channels when it's configured for cable input.

(Back in college people in one particularly tall res hall used to increase their broadcast reception by plugging their TV into an inactive cable socket. As the whole 10 story building was pre-wired for cable, the wiring acted like a 100-foot antenna. So the whole "cable box better antenna than an antenna" theory is not entirely crazy.)
romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #6590
jludman

I got a $99/mo bundle from comcast at my new house, which includes one of their HD DVRs. I don't use their DVR, but they set it up on my low def TV that's in the basement, since I was forced by the bundle to have it.

Now, they are charging me $6.95x2 = $13.90 for 2 "additional outlets" to run my TiVo. So far, 3 different Comcast people have told me that I must keep their DVR or I will pay $50/mo more, and that each cablecard will count as an additional outlet for $6.95. I'm sure I can get this down to $6.95 + $2.05 if I keep hammering at them, but $9/mo to run the TiVo I paid a ransom to get lifetime subscription on is very offensive. Is TiVo or other CableCard device manufacturers fighting these predatory pricing tricks that Comcast is using?

Last edited by jludman : 07-17-2009 at 07:55 AM.
jludman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #6591
roamer09

First time post and new Tivo owner here. On the subject of cablecards, Comast doesn't seem to have a clue how to handle them. I been trying for 2 days to get cablecards installed in my new HD Tivo. It's been nothing short of a nightmare, almost a bad sitcom. First day they sent a tech. with the wrong type of card (need Scientific Atlanta not Motorola), he never installed them before and knew nothing about them. He took care of the digital cable install. but was on the phone with Comcast for nearly an hour before he realized he had the wrong card. Another tech showed up this morning and thought he was here to install digital cable...had no mention on his work order about cable card. He called his supervisor who tells him warehouse is closed and they have no cablecards. Something about they need programmed for my address and can only sit for so long before they deactivate. Needless to say I'm upset, ready to return the Tivo, pull the digital cable out and go back to satellite. Anyone have a clue about how to get a fire under Comcast? Still have only basic cable due to no cards. If I posted this in the wrong place moderators please move it. Thanks
roamer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #6592
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer09 View Post
Anyone have a clue about how to get a fire under Comcast?
Contact the ComcastCares group.

https://twitter.com/comcastcares

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #6593
zabolots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jludman View Post
I got a $99/mo bundle from comcast at my new house, which includes one of their HD DVRs. I don't use their DVR, but they set it up on my low def TV that's in the basement, since I was forced by the bundle to have it.

Now, they are charging me $6.95x2 = $13.90 for 2 "additional outlets" to run my TiVo. So far, 3 different Comcast people have told me that I must keep their DVR or I will pay $50/mo more, and that each cablecard will count as an additional outlet for $6.95. I'm sure I can get this down to $6.95 + $2.05 if I keep hammering at them, but $9/mo to run the TiVo I paid a ransom to get lifetime subscription on is very offensive. Is TiVo or other CableCard device manufacturers fighting these predatory pricing tricks that Comcast is using?
I got the $99/mo HD Triple Play offer recently as well (Chicagoland) and I told them that instead of their DVR I needed 1 MCard or 2 SCards. They installed an MCard into the TiVo, no Comcast DVR and I still get the $99/mo rate, plus ~$2 for the CableCard and ~$3 for the cable modem/voice TA.
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #6594
jludman

$99 + $2 would work for me. I guess I'll keep trying until I get someone that'll let me do that. I think they can set up their bill however they want, I just gotta find someone that says "okay" to M-card replacing their HD DVR.
jludman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #6595
zabolots

Chicago West channel lineup confusion

OK, so as I mentioned previously, I signed up for the HD Starter Triple Play. The channel packages for my area can be seen here.

My TiVo guide shows me channels that are part of the "Digital Classic" tier. However, when I try to tune to these channels I get a blank screen. When I set up a recording for one of these channels, it fails to record and the message states that I'm not authorized to view the channel.

I contacted Comcast online with their chat feature and that rep said I should get these channels. She said that the HD Starter Triple Play lineup could be seen using this link (can use nearby location Persimmon Ln, South Elgin, IL 60177), which shows that the "Digital Classic" channels are included. She said that I needed to call in to get the channels added.

When I called the rep said that the "Digital Classic" channels are not included in my package, regardless of what the first rep said.

So now I'm confused because I thought that with CableCards I would only see channels in the guide that I'm supposed to receive. All of these "Digital Classic" channels are in my guide but I can't view them. Should I have to manually remove channels from my guide or should I be authorized any channel that is listed in my guide?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks...Scott
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #6596
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabolots View Post
OK, so as I mentioned previously, I signed up for the HD Starter Triple Play. The channel packages for my area can be seen here.

My TiVo guide shows me channels that are part of the "Digital Classic" tier. However, when I try to tune to these channels I get a blank screen. When I set up a recording for one of these channels, it fails to record and the message states that I'm not authorized to view the channel.

I contacted Comcast online with their chat feature and that rep said I should get these channels. She said that the HD Starter Triple Play lineup could be seen using this link (can use nearby location Persimmon Ln, South Elgin, IL 60177), which shows that the "Digital Classic" channels are included. She said that I needed to call in to get the channels added.

When I called the rep said that the "Digital Classic" channels are not included in my package, regardless of what the first rep said.

So now I'm confused because I thought that with CableCards I would only see channels in the guide that I'm supposed to receive. All of these "Digital Classic" channels are in my guide but I can't view them. Should I have to manually remove channels from my guide or should I be authorized any channel that is listed in my guide?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks...Scott
You have to remove channels from your lineup that you don't subscribe to.

If you check out the section that just has cable TV packages... not the triple play packages, you'll see a better listing of which packages incorporate which groups of channels.

For example:
HD Starter --> Digital Starter -> Doesn't include "Digital Classic"

Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #6597
bkdtv

Did anyone on Comcast record Dark Blue last week? If so, what is the recording size as reported by the TiVo's Program Details screen?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #6598
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Did anyone on Comcast record Dark Blue last week? If so, what is the recording size as reported by the TiVo's Program Details screen?
What are you ultimately looking for? Explaining the strange MPEG-like blinking on black screens for any TNTHD show?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #6599
mchief
Morey

Tivo shows 8000MB for Dark Blue and 8060MB for Leverage.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #6600
zabolots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
You have to remove channels from your lineup that you don't subscribe to.
So the posts I've read which stated that when using a CableCard with a Series3 said the guide will only show the channels you are subscribed to are incorrect? If so, I'll try to figure out how to remove the channels from the guide. I'm just wondering where the confusion comes from.

Scott