TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #1351
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wild West View Post
Has anyone got to keep their 250 and still get a good deal on a new HR 20?
Does anyone know how long the TiVo250 will continue to get get TiVo programing updates? I would like to keep my 250 to use for recording OTA programs but it would lose much of its appeal if the TiVo programing goes away.
Thanks for the help
When talking with the D* CSR to get my free HR21+AM21 and dish install, I was told I'd have to hand in my (owned) 10-250. On the day of install, I disconnected my 10-250 before the installer arrived and put it out of sight. After the install, he said nothing about it. After the install, I went online and moved the 10-250's location to another room, then called D* and deactivated the receiver that had been in that room. Still have my 10-250.

Last edited by Eben : 11-05-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #1352
ashleypier

Good info, thanks for the help
ashleypier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #1353
Wild Wild West

Keeping my HR10-250?

Does anyone know how long the TiVo250 will continue to get get TiVo programing updates? I would like to keep my 250 to use for recording OTA programs but it would lose much of its appeal if the TiVo programing goes away.
Thanks for the help

Response to above question

When talking with the D* CSR to get my free HR21+AM21 and dish install, I was told I'd have to hand in my 10-250. On the day of install, I disconnected my 10-250 before the installer arrived and put it out of sight. After the install, he said nothing about it. After the install, I went online and moved the 10-250's location to another room, then called D* and deactivated the receiver that had been in that room. Still have my 10-250.

Additional question
I still don't know how long the programing updates will be fed to to the 250. What I mean is what shows are on what channel at what time and how long would D continue to provide that info?
Thanks
Wild Wild West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #1354
Wild Wild West

Keep 250 until new HD direct tivo comes out?

Can I keep my 250 and wait until the new HD direct tivo comes out. I know I lose Sat. HD soon but how about reg definition Sat. and HD OTA. Again will D continue to provide TiVo programing info to carry me over until the new TiVo comes out?
Thanks
Wild Wild West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #1355
shibby191

Quote:
Can I keep my 250 and wait until the new HD direct tivo comes out. I know I lose Sat. HD soon but how about reg definition Sat. and HD OTA. Again will D continue to provide TiVo programing info to carry me over until the new TiVo comes out?
Thanks
Sure. Since they still provide guide data to receivers 15 years old and old DVRs like the Ultimate TV that haven't been made in over 5 I think you'll be just fine with the HR10-250.
shibby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #1356
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Thanks for the help

Response to above question

When talking with the D* CSR to get my free HR21+AM21 and dish install, I was told I'd have to hand in my 10-250. On the day of install, I disconnected my 10-250 before the installer arrived and put it out of sight. After the install, he said nothing about it. After the install, I went online and moved the 10-250's location to another room, then called D* and deactivated the receiver that had been in that room. Still have my 10-250.

Additional question
I still don't know how long the programing updates will be fed to to the 250. What I mean is what shows are on what channel at what time and how long would D continue to provide that info?
Thanks
I own my two HR10-250's so I got to keep them without question when I leased two HR20-700's about 2 years ago. If you don't own yours, I don't know why you should get to keep them.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #1357
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I own my two HR10-250's so I got to keep them without question when I leased two HR20-700's about 2 years ago. If you don't own yours, I don't know why you should get to keep them.

Chris
If he's keeping it active and paying them the $4.99 per month, why not.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #1358
Eben

Quote:
Additional question
Thanks
The 250 will work as long as D sends programming and guide info in MPEG2. It is possible that the little bit of D MPEG2 HD currently available (the channels in the 70s) could be dropped soon, but the rest of the SD channels and guide info should stay MPEG2 for a while.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #1359
baypo

Smile hd tivo

does anyone know when tivo and dtv are coming out with the new hd dvr?
baypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #1360
Richly917

Quote:
Originally Posted by baypo View Post
does anyone know when tivo and dtv are coming out with the new hd dvr?
According to their Web site they will offer it in the second half of 2009. That's all they said about it. You can read it on their Web site.
Richly917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #1361
Tucker2

My question concerning HR10-250’s is I’m currently using a dual LNB round dish with an SD DirecTV/Tivo PVR with a 120 MB hard drive. I’ve just ordered a Plasma HD 46” TV. What I think I want to do is buy a used DR10-250 and a new SL 5PIG-Z dish until DirecTV comes out with the new TiVo box at the end of 2009. My thinking is that since my current box only has S-Video, by going to the HR10-250 I will gain HDMI to the TV. This should, in my thinking make the SD picture better and integrate Off Air HD signals from the locals. I am aware of the lack of MPG4 reception of the unit and will probably not pay the extra for Direct’s HD service and will just receive SD via the satellite like I do now.

So what do you guys think? Is this worth doing? I’ve tried DirecTV box without TiVo and do not think I want to go that route. I live in a rural area and satellite is my only option.
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #1362
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
My question concerning HR10-250ís is Iím currently using a dual LNB round dish with an SD DirecTV/Tivo PVR with a 120 MB hard drive. Iíve just ordered a Plasma HD 46Ē TV. What I think I want to do is buy a used DR10-250 and a new SL 5PIG-Z dish until DirecTV comes out with the new TiVo box at the end of 2009. My thinking is that since my current box only has S-Video, by going to the HR10-250 I will gain HDMI to the TV. This should, in my thinking make the SD picture better and integrate Off Air HD signals from the locals. I am aware of the lack of MPG4 reception of the unit and will probably not pay the extra for Directís HD service and will just receive SD via the satellite like I do now.

So what do you guys think? Is this worth doing? Iíve tried DirecTV box without TiVo and do not think I want to go that route. I live in a rural area and satellite is my only option.
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing...the cost would be minimal ($50, maybe?) to get an HR10-250 since many people have no use for them anymore...and you get to watch OTA in HD...

seems like a waste, in my opinion, of a 46" plasma to not get the HD service...I don't know your reasons for not wanting the non-tivo HD DVR (I hated the idea at first as well) but you need to keep in mind that if history is any indication, the new Tivo DVR will probably be delayed...hey, it could come out early for all I know, but that's not what has happened in the past...on top of that, you'll be dealing with a new machine and software, with all the bugs that come with that...

long story short: what you propose will work but I recommend that you reconsider your decision
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #1363
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
My question concerning HR10-250ís is Iím currently using a dual LNB round dish with an SD DirecTV/Tivo PVR with a 120 MB hard drive. Iíve just ordered a Plasma HD 46Ē TV. What I think I want to do is buy a used DR10-250 and a new SL 5PIG-Z dish until DirecTV comes out with the new TiVo box at the end of 2009. My thinking is that since my current box only has S-Video, by going to the HR10-250 I will gain HDMI to the TV. This should, in my thinking make the SD picture better and integrate Off Air HD signals from the locals. I am aware of the lack of MPG4 reception of the unit and will probably not pay the extra for Directís HD service and will just receive SD via the satellite like I do now.
If you watch a lot of OTA, then i'd say you will do just fine. I use my HDtivo for SD and OTA and put all the mpeg4 stuff on the HR20..no SD stuff goes on the HR20 (the real reason is tuner 2 doesnt work well but that's another story)

on CRT RPTV i know hdmi did make a big difference but on plasma, i dont know if hdmi will improve the pic or not. I ran my T60 S vid vs HDtivo with hdmi side by side for a while and the hdtivo was definitely better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #1364
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

So what do you guys think? Is this worth doing? Iíve tried DirecTV box without TiVo and do not think I want to go that route. I live in a rural area and satellite is my only option.
just saw this post on dbstalk ...looks like the new HD Tivo is delayed till 2010 with some speculation that there are problems...

my advice is to take what is currently available and upgrade if the new stuff is all that great...life is too short to wait for the "next best thing"...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #1365
magicsquid

Use a "regular" TiVo HD with DirecTV

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to use a "regular" TiVo HD (with two cable card slots in the front) with DirecTV?

I currently am on Time Warner cable using a single multi-stream cable card, but am looking to switch to something else. Is it possible to continue using my existing TiVo HD if I switch to DirecTV?
magicsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #1366
classicsat
Astute User

Nope. That box has no inputs or control for satellite receivers. It has only RF inputs. The TiVo HD only works with antenna or a QAM cable service with cablecards.

For DirecTV, your choice is their non-TiVo HD DVR or new DirecTV TiVo when it is released, existing DirecTV TiVos which practically are SD only, or a direcTV with a Standalone TiVo, also will be SD, and single tuner also.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #1367
annoyed99

Sorry for not reading this whole thread, (this is probably old news) but I wanted to share something I heard today. I got an email from directv a couple days ago thanking me for being a loyal customer since 1998 and asking for my feedback. I sent them a note saying I wanted them to bring back Tivo and that I don't like my hr20 dvr interface.

They replied and said they expect to have a new HD tivo receiver in the second half of this year.

I can't wait. I sure hope they don't cripple it.

-K
annoyed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #1368
robpickles
Lurking Around

Wow! This hasn't been updated in some time. The new Tivo HD reciever is not coming out until 2010 now.

Rob
robpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #1369
Sandlapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpickles View Post
Wow! This hasn't been updated in some time. The new Tivo HD reciever is not coming out until 2010 now.

Rob
2010? Do you have a press release about this?
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #1370
sjberra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
it was reported in the otehr thread concerning this - and over on dbstalk in their thread
sjberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #1371
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
Yea, what sjberra said. Tivo announced the delay to 2010 6 months ago now. No further details other then Tivo said in their latest quarterly call that they still planned on the new DirecTV box as soon as they could in 2010...whatever that means.

DirecTV still barely acknowledges Tivo at all in their financial and quarterly calls.

So who really knows other then Tivo says sometime in 2010.
shibby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #1372
HiDefGator

www.solidsignal.com

just buy one big enough and you won't need to cascade them.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #1373
jhrain

I spoke to DTV today to complain about another failed HR21 box.. the Account Retention rep I spoke to say her boss said TIVO documentation is being printed now and expect customers to place pre-orders soon. Because I was speaking to someone here in the U.S. and she was a TIVO Devotee.. I am inclined to listen. I hope she's right. I can't wait to sink these DTV DVR's..
jhrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #1374
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrain View Post
I spoke to DTV today to complain about another failed HR21 box.. the Account Retention rep I spoke to say her boss said TIVO documentation is being printed now and expect customers to place pre-orders soon. Because I was speaking to someone here in the U.S. and she was a TIVO Devotee.. I am inclined to listen. I hope she's right. I can't wait to sink these DTV DVR's..
Never listen to a CSR.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #1375
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuma View Post
Never listen to a CSR.
You got that right!
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #1376
Joey303
Gaga for Lala.com

When I asked last week, the CSR said that the new DirecTivo would be out in "a couple of weeks." I hope so.
Joey303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #1377
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey303 View Post
When I asked last week, the CSR said that the new DirecTivo would be out in "a couple of weeks." I hope so.
Look two posts above yours.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #1378
sjberra

Quote:
sorry, a level 1 csr will not have any accurate information, if the unit would be out in "a couple of weeks" the boards would be awash with speculation and FUD posts.
sjberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #1379
sluciani
TiVowner Since '99

Quote:
In the Q&A following yesterday's earnings conference call, Tom Rogers said "latter part" of this year. In previous calls, he's said "2009", "late 2009" and "2010".
sluciani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #1380
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluciani View Post
In the Q&A following yesterday's earnings conference call, Tom Rogers said "latter part" of this year. In previous calls, he's said "2009", "late 2009" and "2010".
In other words it's been on schedule for the last 4 quarters, due: "6 months from now."

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote