TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #31
userdoba

Thanks for the clarification bkdtv. I was hoping to avoid having to connect the Tivo to my network, because my router is 802.11n, and the USB adapter does not support 802.11n. I suppose I could string an ethernet cable under the house from the router to the Tivo which would be in another room about 20 feet away.
userdoba
userdoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #32
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by userdoba View Post
Thanks for the clarification bkdtv. I was hoping to avoid having to connect the Tivo to my network, because my router is 802.11n, and the USB adapter does not support 802.11n. I suppose I could string an ethernet cable under the house from the router to the Tivo which would be in another room about 20 feet away.
userdoba
As far as I know, all 802.11n routers support 802.11g. Assuming you have a good wireless signal, you wouldn't see much difference when downloading over 802.11g vs. 802.11n anyway, as TiVo -> PC transfer throughput (speed) is limited by the CPU in the DVR.

Now, if you got another TiVo at some point for multi-room viewing, there would be a definite advantage to wired, 802.11n, coax networking, or powerline AV networking over 802.11g.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #33
userdoba

I know that 802.11n routers are downward compatible, but from what I've seen in other posts, the Tivo USB adapter cannot communicate with 80211.n. At any rate, I think I'll try the direct connection. Thanks again for all of your help.
Userdoba
userdoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #34
911medic

The first section still refers to Amazon VOD as being "SD only." It also refers to it as Unbox...is that still what it's called?
Thanks for the excellent guide, bkdtv. I'll be referring my dad to it, as he's interested. The most recent Consumer Reports discusses TiVo, but has some erroneous info about the HD (specifically that it cannot record one show and watch another simultaneously).
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #35
jilter
Happy to be here.

Can I use my cable box as the tuner for the TivoHD instead of messing with cable cards
(which sounds like a giant hassle)?
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #36
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
Can I use my cable box as the tuner for the TivoHD instead of messing with cable cards
(which sounds like a giant hassle)?
No.

The TivoHD replaces the cable box. It has two built-in tuners, but no means to record the output from another device.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #37
911medic

I misspoke above; the erroneous info was in Smart Computing magazine, not Consumer Reports: http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...O&bJumpTo=True
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #38
CCourtney

bkdtv,

I wanted to confirm something from what you stated regarding using 802.11n to ensure full speed MRV transfers. When you state this, are you referring to connecting an 802.11n AP in bridge mode to the Ethernet port of the TiVo? And using it to connect to your wireless network?

Any reason why this would necessarily be any faster than doing it with a less expensive 802.11g AP bridge? I can push ~50Mbps through my 802.11g Router and AP bridges.

Or is the reason when you say the 802.11g drops down to around 18-19Mbps transfer rate based on assumption of using the TiVo Wireless G Adaptor (which I am currently using.) That is, is the bottle neck in via the USB interface or for some crazy reason does TiVo HD boxes require a significant data transfer overhead to maintain an effect transfer rate even in hardwired networks. I would think that it has one bottleneck via the Ethernet path and another via the USB path. But you could be referring to the typical transfer rates that most people observe on 802.11g which is closer to the 19Mbps that you mentioned.

I ask this because I'm considering getting a 2nd TiVoHD, and I have an 802.11g AP used as a bridge by my existing DVR - just need to setup a switch behind it if I want to also wire it up to my existing TiVoHD. And if I get a second TiVoHD, I'm wandering if I really should update to 802.11n, which I haven't seen a valid need for to date, or simply get another 802.11g AP for the living room, where the 2nd TiVoHD will go.

CCourtney

Last edited by CCourtney : 06-24-2009 at 08:49 AM.
CCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #39
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by userdoba View Post
I know that 802.11n routers are downward compatible, but from what I've seen in other posts, the Tivo USB adapter cannot communicate with 80211.n. At any rate, I think I'll try the direct connection. Thanks again for all of your help.
Userdoba
The TiVo Wireless G Adaptor supports 802.11g and 802.11b connections. All 802.11n Routers support connections to 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b and most also support 802.11a.

So a TiVo Wireless G adaptor will work with a 802.11n router, it just will operate using the 802.11g protocols.

CCourtney
Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #40
MPSAN

Two quick questioins...

I just got my 3 TiVo HD's and set one up. I have sw 11c so Netflix is OK, too. I do not have my CableCards yet, but told it that I would get them and my guide is fine...I just can not tune above ch 31 'till I get them.

1. When I go to Find TV Shows on TiVo.com, and look for listings they say there are none. My TiVo shows them all.

2. Do I need to Opt-in? I had heard that this was a good idea, but somewhere I thought that once you do, if you ever want to opt-out it takes shows, etc with it. Any reason I should not OPT-IN? Do I need this in order to see the channel listings online?

*******UPDATE*********

This morning my guide is OK online.

Now I need to see if I can see photo's on my TiVoHD from my PC. It did not see my PC before...still do not know if it does or not.

Last edited by MPSAN : 06-27-2009 at 12:08 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #41
MPSAN

Just a quick suggestion to the tips.

I just made the 30 Second skip change and you may want to note that you do not have to make this change by playing a recorded show. It WILL work just by going back a bit and making the SPS30S change while watching a buffered show.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #42
MPSAN

Skip to next/previous 15min tick from buffer?

Hello ALL:

I saw that we can skip 15min by going to ff or rewind and then hitting -->|. Is this true when in the buffer or does it only work when in a recorded show?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #43
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Hello ALL:

I saw that we can skip 15min by going to ff or rewind and then hitting -->|. Is this true when in the buffer or does it only work when in a recorded show?
As per the FAQ, skip-to-tick (i.e. 15min skip) only works on recorded shows.

You're right that codes for 30sec skip (and other functions) can be enabled when playing from the buffer. I don't mention that because many new users confuse that "watching from the buffer" with watching liveTV. Now, I try to use terminology that everyone can I understand.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #44
stujac

Do you think we'll ever get a "reminder" option?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #45
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
As per the FAQ, skip-to-tick (i.e. 15min skip) only works on recorded shows.

You're right that codes for 30sec skip (and other functions) can be enabled when playing from the buffer. I don't mention that because many new users confuse that "watching from the buffer" with watching liveTV. Now, I try to use terminology that everyone can I understand.
Thank you. That explains why it did not work.

I get my M-Cards tomorrow and sure hope all goes well!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #46
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What count of RS Uncorrected Errors per minute or hour is "bad" ?
All the channels I've looked at have 0 corrected and uncorrected except one. I let this one run for 10 hours and got 287 uncorrected and 1.48 million corrected. Video and audio seem fine for the relatively short time I actually watched it. Signal strength = 81. SNR = 34 dB.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #47
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
All the channels I've looked at have 0 corrected and uncorrected except one. I let this one run for 10 hours and got 287 uncorrected and 1.48 million corrected. Video and audio seem fine for the relatively short time I actually watched it. Signal strength = 81. SNR = 34 dB.
It takes millions of RS Uncorrected errors per minute to produce visible pixelization that is not a part of the original picture. An audio dropout can be caused by several dozen RS Uncorrected errors in a short span (i.e. one second). You would not experience regular audio dropouts due to a signal issue without seeing thousands of of RS Uncorrected errors per minute.

It is not uncommon to see 150-500 RS Uncorrected errors in the first second after tuning a channel or swapping tuners. You can ignore that.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #48
bbeck

bkdtv, I've had quite a few problems using Yamb to convert QuickTime trailers into MP4 files for playback on my TiVo, whether through Streambaby or pyTivo. I've followed your instructions to the letter countless times, and each time I get an MP4 file that plays flawlessly on my PC, but on my TiVo the image "stutters" -- moves slightly up and down 2-3 times per second -- and every one with a 6-channel AAC track sounds hollowed out, with only the front L/R channels active and no heard dialogue, just music and sound effects. Two-channel AAC plays back fine, but the stuttering video issue persists.

1. Have you experienced either of these problems?
2. What version of Yamb are you using?
3. Are you performing any additional steps beyond what you described in your OP?
4. Can you recommend alternative programs to help me get what I want?

I really appreciate your help.
bbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #49
vurbano

I have an Onkyo TXNR801 that does not lose sound with trick play but rather occasionally loses sound when an HD program goes to an SD commercial at least that is what I think is happening. And no I am not switching to PCM, I want DD. Does anyone have the DENON AVR1910? I am considering purchasing it.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #50
vurbano

11.0d has not totally eliminated picture glitches for me. IS tivo still addressing this issue with FIOS?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #51
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I have an Onkyo TXNR801 that does not lose sound with trick play but rather occasionally loses sound when an HD program goes to an SD commercial at least that is what I think is happening. And no I am not switching to PCM, I want DD. Does anyone have the DENON AVR1910? I am considering purchasing it.
I haven't seen the issue reported with Denon receivers.

Onkyo is said to have addressed (fixed) the issue with their 2009 lineup (TX-SRx07).

Quote:
11.0d has not totally eliminated picture glitches for me. IS tivo still addressing this issue with FIOS?
What sort of glitches? On what channels? I think TiVo considers the issue fixed.

Is what you are seeing accompanied by a significant number of RS Uncorrected errors? If not, you are seeing the signal as it is received.

The 11.0d software won't do anything for glitches that are part of the original picture signal from the source provider. Nor will it do anything for the glitches caused by bad weather in Temple Terrace, Florida, where Verizon acquires its channels (via big dish) for distribution. Faulty equipment at your local video hub could also cause problems on a few specific channels.

If you are seeing glitches on a specific channel or channels on a regular basis, in the absence of RS Uncorrected errors, then I would post about it on the Verizon forums.

Edit: I would post your reply to one of the FiOS threads so more people can see it and/or report whether they are seeing the same thing.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #52
vurbano

Quote:
I haven't seen the issue reported with Denon receivers.

Onkyo is said to have addressed (fixed) the issue with their 2009 lineup (TX-SRx07).

What sort of glitches? On what channels? I think TiVo considers the issue fixed.

Is what you are seeing accompanied by a significant number of RS Uncorrected errors? If not, you are seeing the signal as it is received.

The 11.0d software won't do anything for glitches that are part of the original picture signal from the source provider. Nor will it do anything for the glitches caused by bad weather in Temple Terrace, Florida, where Verizon acquires its channels (via big dish) for distribution. Faulty equipment at your local video hub could also cause problems on a few specific channels.

If you are seeing glitches on a specific channel or channels on a regular basis, in the absence of RS Uncorrected errors, then I would post about it on the Verizon forums.

Edit: I would post your reply to one of the FiOS threads so more people can see it and/or report whether they are seeing the same thing.
well during the redskin game tonight on comcast sports network I got an occasional horizontal band of green in the middle of the picture. Sort of like the green crap you get from mpeg2 overcompression or lack of bandwith. Occasionally the symptom look like a lack of signal like storm affects on OTA or Satellite. I dont see any uncorrected errors but I never did before 11.0d either and my SD channels were often unwatchable it was so bad. Are those uncorrected errors shown for each channel? One has to look and evaluate 200 channels or so? that would be absurd. Now however after 11.0d the SD channels are very stable with 11.0d. I find it odd that there are so many problems with FIOS's facilities or the weather where the feeds are coming from.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #53
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Ive seen my Signal strength from 92-100 and my SNR from 38-26
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #54
bkdtv

Quote:
well during the redskin game tonight on comcast sports network I got an occasional horizontal band of green in the middle of the picture. Sort of like the green crap you get from mpeg2 overcompression or lack of bandwith.
Did you record this program? If so, do you see this same error in the same spot when you play back the recording?

I also recorded the Redskins game from CSNDCHD. If you know the approximate time that this occurred, I'll check my recording.

Quote:
Occasionally the symptom look like a lack of signal like storm affects on OTA or Satellite. I dont see any uncorrected errors but I never did before 11.0d either and my SD channels were often unwatchable it was so bad. Are those uncorrected errors shown for each channel?
Whenever there is a signal error that causes some A/V problem, that instantly shows up on the DVR Diagnostics page as some number of RS Uncorrected errors. It usually takes thousands of those errors to produce a visual effect that one can notice.

The RS Uncorrected counts are tabulated on a per second basis for the two currently tuned channels. The counts are only reset when you (a) change the channel, (b) initially start a new recording, or (c) end a recording. If you were to see an A/V issue and there are no corresponding errors on the DVR Diagnostics screen, that tells you that it was source issue, a defective piece of equipment at your local video hub, or some video processing issue in the TV/receiver.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #55
tjsmrc

I solved the problem with my TIVO HD: I unplugged the TIVO HD and removed the 3V Lithium Battery on the mother board, waited 10 minutes and replaced it with a new one. I later tested the old battery and it was fine – so that wasn’t the problem. The RAM apparently needed to be reset. The TIVO is now working better than it has in over a year or even since I owned it. The formatting is better and the functions and features work better. It’s been working now for over two weeks with no problems.
tjsmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #56
Lori S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmrc View Post
I solved the problem with my TIVO HD: I unplugged the TIVO HD and removed the 3V Lithium Battery on the mother board, waited 10 minutes and replaced it with a new one. I later tested the old battery and it was fine – so that wasn’t the problem. The RAM apparently needed to be reset. The TIVO is now working better than it has in over a year or even since I owned it. The formatting is better and the functions and features work better. It’s been working now for over two weeks with no problems.
Did you lose any info when you did this?
Lori S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #57
shonsu

"Grey Screen" Issue / Loss of Analog Tuners

Quote:
[Overview] [Pre-Purchase Q&A] [Using TiVo] [TiVo Tips] [Download Recordings] [View Computer Videos] [Multiroom Viewing] [Known Issues]
Known Issues with 11.0d

Loss of analog tuners (otherwise known as the "Grey Screen" issue)

The 11.0 software introduced a serious bug that affects those with basic / analog cable. This bug causes the analog tuners to "go out" periodically, resulting in a gray (or black) screen on analog channels. To regain the picture on analog channels, the user must switch both tuners to digital channels (or switch between a few channels on the Settings -> Channels -> Channel strength screen)...or alternatively, reboot the TiVo.

Note this issue does not affect the digital tuners, so it does not affect digital channels from an off-air antenna or cable. When you install a CableCard on most cable systems, you get digital versions the analog channels, thus eliminating potential issues with lost analog tuners. That said, there are still some cable systems without digital versions of their analog channels for CableCard users; if you have one of these cable systems, then your TiVo is still susceptible to the "grey screen" (loss of analog tuner) issue on those analog channels, even with CableCards.
Any ideas when the "Grey Screen" issue will be resolved with a service release?
** All with Lifetime Subscriptions **
(Now we're Talking!)
shonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #58
GBL
covert opiniative

just a nit pick

Quote:
29. Can I skip through a recording 15-minutes at a time?

Yes. TiVo places "ticks" on the progress bar every 15 minutes. To skip to the next 15min tick, you fast forward and then press the -->| button. While fast forwarding, each press of -->| button will skip forward 15 minutes.

You can also skip backward to the previous 15min tick by rewinding and then pressing the same -->| button. While rewinding, each press of -->| button will skip backward 15 minutes.

Note: Tick marks are spaced every 30 minutes for recordings 3.5 hours and longer.
I've been recording long tennis broadcasts and noticed that the tick marks are spaced every 60 minutes once recording length reaches 6.5 hours.

suggested revision:
Note: Tick marks are spaced every 30 minutes for recordings 3.5 hours to 6 hours, and every 60 minutes for recordings 6.5 hours and longer.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #59
nrc
Cracker Soul

Thanks for putting together and maintaining all this great information.

Recently I've been testing some file downloads and found this entry as an explanation downloaded files not matching their size on TiVo.

Quote:
The proprietary file format used on the TiVo inflates recorded file sizes by 6-7%.

In actual practice, MPG recordings downloaded to your computer will be 93-95% the size reported by the TiVo. If they are significantly less than 93% of the TiVo's reported size, then that could indicate an incomplete transfer.
The interesting thing is that I've been testing using one of the three minute summaries of Rescue Me that airs on FOXHD every week. These are typically 650-750k on TiVo and come down to the PC at just under 70% of that size.

At first I thought sure they must be failing downloads but the download completes normally and if I push them back up they play perfectly. It's kind of surprising that shorter recordings would actually inflate more. Maybe the way they chunk the video data is just very inefficient for very short recordings.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #60
Airhead315

I recently purchased an Onkyo HT-RC160 which is almost the same as the TX-SR607 aside from missing Sirius Satellite Radio.

In the FAQ you mention that the 2-3 second sound loss after trickplay was resolved in the TX-SR607. I wanted to let you know that that is very unlikely as my receiver exhibits this exact behavior. After hitting play from a fast forward, or rewind there is like a 2-3 second delay before sound comes on. This also happens when going from the Tivo homescreen to live tv. Turning the audio from "Dolby Digital" to "Dolby Digital to PCM" resolved this issue and there is no longer a delay but this is not entirely desireable.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote