TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #3121
markj911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I guess you did not read the FAQ in he first post? ;(

Section V, FAQ #5:
I did not see that before I bought the drive. What is troubling is that it only sees 320GB not the 1.1TB max. Any ideas?
markj911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #3122
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj911 View Post
I did not see that before I bought the drive. What is troubling is that it only sees 320GB not the 1.1TB max. Any ideas?
Where are you seeing any hard drive size measurement on TiVo at all? TiVo only estimates recording time in HD or SD in hours. Or are you referring to what winMFS displayed?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #3123
bkdtv

Quote:
If the TiVo isn't reporting more than 143 HD hours on the System Information screen, then you need to reconnect the drive to your computer and select Mfsadd in WinMFS. When WinMFS asks you whether to restrict expansion to 1.1TB (1.0TiB), click yes.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #3124
markj911

Quote:
If the TiVo isn't reporting more than 143 HD hours on the System Information screen, then you need to reconnect the drive to your computer and select Mfsadd in WinMFS. When WinMFS asks you whether to restrict expansion to 1.1TB (1.0TiB), click yes.
I used InstantCake is there a way to do that with InstantCake or do I need to obtain WinMFS?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #3125
bkdtv

Quote:
I used InstantCake is there a way to do that with InstantCake or do I need to obtain WinMFS?
InstantCake doesn't support drives larger than than 1.1TB (1.0TiB). You need to use WinMFS.

I think you may have to redo the upgrade from scratch if you tried to use InstantCake on a drive larger than 1.1TB. I'm not certain. Hopefully, you still have the original TiVo drive lying around.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #3126
markj911

Quote:
InstantCake doesn't support drives larger than than 1.1TB (1.0TiB). You need to use WinMFS.

I think you may have to redo the upgrade from scratch if you tried to use InstantCake on a drive larger than 1.1TB. I'm not certain. Hopefully, you still have the original TiVo drive lying around.
Thanks! I wish the original drive was usable, it exhibited the 'click of death' I do not see anywhere on the DVRupgrade site about bringing a 1TB up to a recognized 1TB by the Series III. Does Instantcake do that automatically or do you need WinMFS?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #3127
moscovitzd

Thanks Rich. I'm willing to spend the extra $ for the 1.5 TB drives knowing that I'll only get 1.26 of usable space. Does anyone have a suggestion for what hard drive model to use on a TivoHD?
moscovitzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #3128
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscovitzd View Post
Thanks Rich. I'm willing to spend the extra $ for the 1.5 TB drives knowing that I'll only get 1.26 of usable space. Does anyone have a suggestion for what hard drive model to use on a TivoHD?
The WD15EADS should work fine in your TiVo HD (but not a Series3). Just make sure you only expand the drive to the appropriate amount in winMFS. If you expand it fully it won't work.

Also note that the WD15EADS isn't an AV/DVR drive and will need to have the Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) dialed down to 128 to make it as quiet as possible. You can use the Hitachi Feature Tool to do that.

Last edited by richsadams : 06-26-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #3129
bkdtv

Quote:
Thanks! I wish the original drive was usable, it exhibited the 'click of death' I do not see anywhere on the DVRupgrade site about bringing a 1TB up to a recognized 1TB by the Series III. Does Instantcake do that automatically or do you need WinMFS?
InstantCake is supposed to correctly expand any drive up to 1.1TB in size. I know it doesn't support >1.1TB drives, but I don't recall whether it tries to use the full capacity of the drive (which will cause instability) or whether it uses the stock amount.

How much capacity does your TiVo Series3 report on the System Information screen? If it reports 30 something hours, or 140 something hours, then I think you can expand to the full 1.35TB with WinMFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscovitzd View Post
AFAIK, the WD15EVDS is coming in ~4 weeks. If you want something right now, you might look at the WD15EADS and Seagate ST31500541AS.

If it were me, I would probably wait on the WD15EVDS. Newegg's reviews on the WD15EADS make me a little uneasy.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-26-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #3130
richsadams

Quote:
If it were me, I would probably wait on the WD15EVDS. Newegg's reviews on the WD15EADS make me a little uneasy.
Good advice as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #3131
hansende

I just bought a $170 1TB Western Digital DVR Expander from Amazon and it arrived today. I unplugged my Series 3 Tivo "with software version 11.0C), connected the wire between the units, plugged in the Expander, waited 15 seconds, then plugged in the Tivo. In Setting i...External Storage it says and external storage device was not detected! So I repeated the above steps and it still can't see the device. Any thoughts about what I should do?
hansende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #3132
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansende View Post
I just bought a $170 1TB Western Digital DVR Expander from Amazon and it arrived today. I unplugged my Series 3 Tivo "with software version 11.0C), connected the wire between the units, plugged in the Expander, waited 15 seconds, then plugged in the Tivo. In Setting i...External Storage it says and external storage device was not detected! So I repeated the above steps and it still can't see the device. Any thoughts about what I should do?
The order sounds right...

1. Connect the eSATA cable to the drive and TiVo
2. Power up the eSATA drive (wait 10 seconds or so for it to spin up)
3. Power up TiVo and follow the on-screen instructions

It doesn't sound like the eSATA drive and TiVo are communicating initially as it isn't asking you if you want to add the external drive when you first boot up. (This screen should appear.)

First, is the drive spinning up? Can you hear seek noise (clicking)? If it is I'd then check the eSATA cable and connections to be sure they're secure, even try reversing the cable.

If it's spinning up and the connections are snug you could try using the menus to add it but it also sounds like you've already gone down that road. If all of that is true my WAG would be that it's either a bad cable or a bad enclosure, specifically the bridge/chip set.

IIRC a couple of other folks had trouble with their Western Digital 1TB My DVR Expanders recently and had to return them. The same thing happened when they first introduced the 500GB version. Back then most of the issues were with the sub-standard eSATA cables that were included with the units. WD finally got their act together, but IIRC it took several months. You could try another cable. The recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is about $12 or you may need to return it to Amazon and have them ship a new drive.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #3133
hansende

Thanks Rich for the very helpful insight! The WD esata drive's circular light is on and I can hear it spinning inside. So I turned everything off and reversed the 3' cable and still "no worko" (After the "THX" display the Tivo main menu comes up) Before I send it back I will buy a esata cable from a nearby Radio Shack (they allow full refunds) and try that out. I will let you (and others) know the outcome. Update!!!! I just went over to check the Tivo and the Update message came on!!! So maybe it was the cable connection as you stated!!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 AM   #3134
richsadams

Quote:
Update!!!! I just went over to check the Tivo and the Update message came on!!! So maybe it was the cable connection as you stated!!
Working now?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #3135
Joe3

As we tell our children, it always pays to study.

Warning-Weekend Discovery

If you have a busted FAP enclosure drive, rip out the Seagate Hard drive and put it in an MX1 enclosure to see if it works before you turn it into a Popsicle by sticking it in the freezer.

It just might be the bridge. I found out hundreds of hours late while waiting for the 1.5TB 5900RPM 32MB Cache SATA II/300 to arrive from PROVANTAGE. Nevertheless, I am happy to report that whatever Seagate Hard dive is in the FAP seems to handle extreme temperatures well.

The 1.5TB 5900RPM 32MB Cache SATA II/300 seems to be doing well so far in the S3. I had to put my ear to the TiVo to actually here it. Unless I am losing my hearing and I could be, the 1.5TB 5900RPM 32MB Cache SATA II/300 is quieter than what I took out of the S3.

So, the ripped out Seagate Hard drive that I put in the MX1 enclosure gave me back the original extra 750 GB plus the 1.5 GB internal leaves me with about a 1TB more than what I needed plus 3.3 in outside the TiVo archive hard drive space so you can understand my alert.

In backing up what I thought was a failing hard drive using kmitt and restoring it to the new hard dive using Pytivo I lost my entire whish-list created folders by actor or director. Since it's going to take some days before the restore is complete at a 13 to 15--transfer rate I was wondering.

Question: is there any way to get back or redo those whish-list folders that I lost in the transfer?

Thanks

Joe

Last edited by Joe3 : 06-29-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #3136
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post
As we tell our children, it always pays to study.

Warning-Weekend Discovery

If you have a busted FAP enclosure drive, rip out the Seagate Hard drive and put it in an MX1 enclosure to see if it works before you turn it into a Popsicle by sticking it in the freezer.
This earlier post said the same thing; FAP eSATA drive failed, pulled the drive, stuck it in an MX-1 and all was right with the world once more. Good advice.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #3137
hansende

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Working now?
Yes!! Thanks again Rich. It must have been the cable connection. I turned the cable around and it has been working for a couple of days now.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #3138
richsadams

Quote:
Yes!! Thanks again Rich. It must have been the cable connection. I turned the cable around and it has been working for a couple of days now.
Woo hoo!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #3139
Josh

Kind members & gurus,

I've read hundreds of posts here and the FAQ and have what I believe to be a simple clarification before I break out the Torx screwdrivers.

I have a TivoHD with a replacement Weaknees 1TB drive in it, purchased from them. Single drive. I now wish to add a MyDVR Expander 1TB and know that it doesn't work out of the box, but needs pairing.

The FAQ clearly points me in this situation to Section IV, item #10. The instructions there seem pretty clear, however Weaknees, who have always been helpful to me in the past (I've bought about 8 different drives from them over the years), is telling me that these tools (WinMFS, MFS Tools) can NOT be used if you have a TivoHD... that it won't work right. (They want to sell me their $95 upgrade process).

Is this correct?? Can someone confirm that my TivoHD with a single (replacement) Weaknees 1TB internal drive can be paired easily with the 1TB myDVR Expander by pulling the internal drive, connecting it and the DVRExpander to a PC via Sata->USB2 adapters and then using WinMFS command MFSadd? or, in my situation, do I need to go to the MFSLive Boot CD and issue the command "mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/sda /dev/sdb", as described in that section of the FAQ? Sorry if these are obvious questions... been trying for many hours to answer these questions on my own and can't find this particular situation described - a larger replacement internal drive with a MyDVR Expander external drive (rather than a plain vanilla empty SATA drive), all on a TivoHD.

I'm not bothered at all by performing my own upgrade, nor by pulling out drives and getting them connected to a PC, I just want to make sure I won't brick my Tivo, lose my recordings, nor do any other permanent harm.

Thank you very much for your guidance and help.

--josh

Last edited by Josh : 06-30-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #3140
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
... Weaknees, who have always been helpful to me in the past (I've bought about 8 different drives from them over the years), is telling me that these tools (WinMFS, MFS Tools) can NOT be used if you have a TivoHD... that it won't work right. (They want to sell me their $95 upgrade process)...
Is this something they told you on the phone or do you have an email snippet you can post?

Last edited by jlib : 07-01-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #3141
mskvarenina

Wow, this thread is 105 pages long. Is the drive information dated from 2007 current or are the current drive recommendations buried somewhere within this thread? Is there a wiki somewhere which is constantly updated? At this point I have a Series 3 that I'd like to upgrade the internal hard drive and am looking for drives that have been tested and proven.
mskvarenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3142
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina View Post
Wow, this thread is 105 pages long. Is the drive information dated from 2007 current or are the current drive recommendations buried somewhere within this thread? Is there a wiki somewhere which is constantly updated? At this point I have a Series 3 that I'd like to upgrade the internal hard drive and am looking for drives that have been tested and proven.
The first post is the "wiki." It was last updated June 21, 2009.

The first post does list some older models, but it also lists newer models too. The Seagate and Western Digital 1TB drives are new. Every drive listed works with the Series3.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #3143
DixonAgee

OK. I have an S3 drive - upgrading to WD10EVVS. I attached them to SATA connectors in a newer Dell Desktop. I logged in as the Administrator on an XP SP2 machine. I started WimMFS - and found both drives. (no drive letters as promised). I started MFSCopy and the progress bar began filling. Expecting to take a few hours - I returned later to find the computer sleeping - and MFSCopy stopped with 47 mins 29 secs ETA. I assumed that screen saver or power management may have done this - and since I couldn't get the progress bar moving again - I canceled and closed the copy - turned off Screen Saver and Power Management and re-started MFSCopy. Same thing - the progress bar went about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way - the ETA stopped at 47 mins 29 seconds.

I left it to run for over 4 hrs noting that your documentation said it could take 3 Hrs.. However XP NEVER said WINMFS wasn't responding - it just wasn't showing progress. The drives seemed to be running - I could hear the stepping motor ...

One more thing - I had cleaned a lot of stuff off the TIVO and removed deleted programs before this process. The drive was not full.

So - any ideas? Should I try a different computer? I got no error messages - just a program that went into limbo.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #3144
JerseyRU

To all who contributed, thanks for the FAQ. I just upgraded to a 1TB WD10EADS in a TivoHD.

Used an older Dell desktop with an SATA to usb cable, and it took me under 1 hour from Tivo shutdown to the start up movie, running great for about 2 hours now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post

So - any ideas? Should I try a different computer? I got no error messages - just a program that went into limbo.

Only suggestion I have would be to try the one drive at a time method. Use WinMFS, make a backup on your laptop drive, then shutdown, connect the newer use WinMFS to get the backup from the other drive. This portion of my setup took me under 10 minutes per drive.
JerseyRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #3145
DixonAgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRU View Post
Only suggestion I have would be to try the one drive at a time method. Use WinMFS, make a backup on your laptop drive, then shutdown, connect the newer use WinMFS to get the backup from the other drive. This portion of my setup took me under 10 minutes per drive.
Thanks for the suggestion - I suspect it may work considering how the early part of 'copy' seemed to work.

My main concern: would I be able to copy my recordings later - or would those be 'lost'?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #3146
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRU View Post
......... I just upgraded to a 1TB WD10EADS in a TivoHD.
Used an older Dell desktop with an SATA to usb cable,........
Only suggestion I have would be to try the one drive at a time method. Use WinMFS, make a backup on your laptop drive, then shutdown, connect the newer use WinMFS to get the backup from the other drive. ......
Cool! That exact drive and a USB-SATA cable are in shipment to me from Amazon at this moment, for my TiVo HD.

Question: Do you have to do anything in the WinFMS software to make the TiVo use the larger capacity of the TB drive?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #3147
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Question: Do you have to do anything in the WinFMS software to make the TiVo use the larger capacity of the TB drive?
Just follow the instructions in Section V of the first post and you're good.

As per step #18, WinMFS will ask you if you want to expand the drive to use the new space. You click yes.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #3148
bkdtv

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion - I suspect it may work considering how the early part of 'copy' seemed to work.

My main concern: would I be able to copy my recordings later - or would those be 'lost'?
If you do a truncated backup and restore, as per the instructions in 18A, you preserve all your settings (including season passes and wishlists), but you lose your previous recordings.

If you want to use 18B to backup your recordings too, make sure you temporarily disable any antivirus or security software. As noted in the FAQ, some antivirus and security programs will interfere with the backup process. Usually, such software only slows the copy, but in some cases, it may prevent the copy from completing. If you've already disabled any software that you think could interfere, and you really want to backup and restore all your recordings, then I would try a different computer.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #3149
KevinSartori

I just wanted to pop in here to say thanks! I upgraded my TiVo HD with a Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB drive back in December and everything has been running perfectly! The process went smoothly using the upgrade directions at the beginning of this thread. Around the same time I also discovered pyTivo. What a combo!

Anyway, thanks again for all the effort bkdtv and richsadams! Your work here is much appreciated!
KevinSartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #3150
HerronScott

Quote:
OK. I have an S3 drive - upgrading to WD10EVVS. I attached them to SATA connectors in a newer Dell Desktop. I logged in as the Administrator on an XP SP2 machine. I started WimMFS - and found both drives. (no drive letters as promised). I started MFSCopy and the progress bar began filling. Expecting to take a few hours - I returned later to find the computer sleeping - and MFSCopy stopped with 47 mins 29 secs ETA. I assumed that screen saver or power management may have done this - and since I couldn't get the progress bar moving again - I canceled and closed the copy - turned off Screen Saver and Power Management and re-started MFSCopy. Same thing - the progress bar went about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way - the ETA stopped at 47 mins 29 seconds.

I left it to run for over 4 hrs noting that your documentation said it could take 3 Hrs.. However XP NEVER said WINMFS wasn't responding - it just wasn't showing progress. The drives seemed to be running - I could hear the stepping motor ...

One more thing - I had cleaned a lot of stuff off the TIVO and removed deleted programs before this process. The drive was not full.

DixonAgee,

I had something similar happen with one of my 2 Series 3 units. WinMFS would hang during the full copy but I was able to do a truncated backup and restore. At some point during the multiple attempts to do a full copy, the original drive registered a SMART error that the PC would report on boot and although it would still work when plugged back into the TiVo, any attempts to do a full copy with WinMFS or run the Western Digital diagnostics against it would hang.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote