TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

No volume problems on my boxes. Some content is loud some is quiet, but it's basically the same whether I use the TV tuner or cable company box.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #32
rifleman69

Has anyone tried hooking up the box to another tv?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've used my 4 TiVoHD boxes on 6 different HD sets and had no volume problems from any of them.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #34
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

I feed a Vizio LCD from my S3 via Component + L/R audio, HDMi is used for the projector in the HT. All HD locals from the S3 are very low volume. I set the Viz on 100 (max) for volume and it's still not loud enough. If I am watching analog cable from the S3, the volume is a bit louder, but still not enough. If I use the internal ATSC tuner in the Viz, the volume is fine and I have to back it down to 30-40ish. Clearly, the S3 is too low for volume feeding this LCD.

I use this setup while riding a trainer bike (noisy) - so max volume is not even loud enough. I'd love to see a solution to this problem. I'd rather not have to go with headphone and an amp just to get a reasonable volume from the S3.
rmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #35
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassey View Post
I feed a Vizio LCD from my S3 via Component + L/R audio, HDMi is used for the projector in the HT. All HD locals from the S3 are very low volume. I set the Viz on 100 (max) for volume and it's still not loud enough. If I am watching analog cable from the S3, the volume is a bit louder, but still not enough. If I use the internal ATSC tuner in the Viz, the volume is fine and I have to back it down to 30-40ish. Clearly, the S3 is too low for volume feeding this LCD.

I use this setup while riding a trainer bike (noisy) - so max volume is not even loud enough. I'd love to see a solution to this problem. I'd rather not have to go with headphone and an amp just to get a reasonable volume from the S3.
Did you try the TiVo on another tv? It might just be your Vizio, they're not known for being very reliable.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #36
rlj5242

Martin Tupper had the answer in post #11 but he was incorrect about the levels. Dolby Digital is recorded 10db below normal stereo levels to allow for more dynamic range.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #37
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Did you try the TiVo on another tv? It might just be your Vizio, they're not known for being very reliable.
Oh Phleeze, don't use my post to bash Vizio - get a life.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #38
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 View Post
Martin Tupper had the answer in post #11 but he was incorrect about the levels. Dolby Digital is recorded 10db below normal stereo levels to allow for more dynamic range.
That make some sense, but I still wonder why the Internal ATSC tuner gives sufficient volume from my LCD, but the Tivo is much lower. I've also plugged a DVD into this LCD and it gives sufficient volume compared to the S3.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #39
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
That make some sense, but I still wonder why the Internal ATSC tuner gives sufficient volume from my LCD, but the Tivo is much lower. I've also plugged a DVD into this LCD and it gives sufficient volume compared to the S3.
Try the ATSC tuner on the Tivo. Mine is stupidly loud vs digital cable.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #40
rifleman69

Quote:
Oh Phleeze, don't use my post to bash Vizio - get a life.

You get what you pay for, just being real and honest.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #41
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
just being real and honest.
No you are not, you are a troll. I am trying to research the obvious volume issue with the S3. If you want to bash Vizio, start another thread. STFU in this thread, you add no value here.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #42
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool No Volume Problems for Me

All of my three TiVo units have "normal" volume on all the different TVs with which they have been used. By normal, I mean that changing inputs on the TV from the TiVo to antenna or a DVD does not require any volume adjustment to have the same general sound level.

In addition, I record a LOT of movies from TiVo to DVD, and the audio level on virtually all of those DVDs is seems normal. The only volume problem I have had is when recording DVDs from my FiOS STB (no TiVo even connected to that TV). Even with the STB's internal volume setting maxed out, the DVDs recorded from it are low.

I just wanted to add my voice to those saying this is not a universal problem. Since I have not experienced any of the volume problems reported here with my TiVo boxes, I have no idea what might be causing them. Sorry I cannot help with the fix.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #43
ccoulson

Another with low volume

I have several components going to my Sony XBR 2 set:
- Tivo Series 3
- Sony BluRay (BDP-s300)
- Apple TV

The Tivo is defintely the quietest. I have also had a digital HD cable box and a PS3 and the volume is fine.
ccoulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #44
andyknas

Tivo Low Volume

We have a volume issue too. Previously had a DirectTivo unit and we kept the volume at 12 max. With the new HD tivo connected to cable (time warner w/cable cards) we have to keep it at 20+ to get the same sound.

Time Warner says it's a Tivo issue and we won't have a problem with their DVR.
andyknas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #45
proudx

Drc

it would be nice if the Tivo offered Dynamic Range compression settings for the RCA analog outputs. This would allow you to compress the dynamic range "the lowest volume to the highest volume" into a slimmer more normal range, this results in less dynamic range but louder volume of speech, etc.

How are you getting the audio to your tv? If its digital then the tv needs the DRC settings, "stable sound, etc" if its by analog RCA outputs then the tivo needs them.
proudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #46
nlrushing

i dont have tivo hd but i do have the tivo volume issue, and it does seem to be related to the unit. when i added my first tivo (toshiba series 2) i had to boost the volume considerably over to what level was needed prev to adding the tivo, we got used to it... when i added a dual tuner unit a year or so ago and moved the toshiba to the bedroom, i then had to increase the volume in the bedroom, but the dt unit which is now my main has very good audio at a low level. when i transfer programs from room to room, the programs from the toshiba unit require a high volume regardless of which they are viewed on, and the ones from my dual tuner only require a high volume if viewed on the toshiba... i have found no solution but to live with it. just wanted to add my comments to this thread, hope not intruding into an hd only question...
nlrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #47
rreznikoff

Question Volume has erratic respose to the remote.

I have the Series 3HDTV and a Toshiba 42" 530U connected with a home wireless network. My problem is when I try to raise the volume using my remote I get varying responses. Sometimes it will go up only one number (even if held down), sometimes it will go up rapidly if I hold down the volume button as intended, and some times it ignores my remote altogether. Most aggravating is when I have to keep hitting the volume to raise it one number at a time. I have verified the code to to be 0233. I wonder if I tried some other codes if that would solve the problem. Any suggestions? The power button works properly.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #48
CallMeBob

Has this been fixed yet? I bought a couple of Tivo HDs to use with my cable company and the volume issue was pretty significant, for me at least. While using my cable DVRs I can watch at a volume of about 20 on my Sony SXRD using HDMI and it sounds fine. To get the equivalent volume with the HDs I had to turn up the volume to around 60 and I was getting a sort of static hum that you normally hear when you turn something up too loud. I returned the boxes and just continued to use the cable DVRs.

Now I am looking to switch to FIOS and I really hate their DVR guide. I love their service, but hate their box so I would likely have to get the Tivos again, but I really can't stand the low volume. Can't Tivo incorporate a way to boost their audio to compensate for this?
CallMeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #49
newhopenet

I have the same problem. I have to turn the TV volume up to maximum to get a "normal" volume level from my TiVo HD. Recently switched from a Cox Communications Motorola DVR, which did not have this issue. Hooked up identically as the box from Cox was hooked up.

I tried both the Dolby Digital Setting, and the Dolby to PCM setting. Changing the setting made no difference in my setup.

Several people have noted that the problem is not "universal" -- they mean that not every user is experiencing these symptoms. That alone does not absolve TiVo of responsibility. Various TV's have different audio input level expectations. The TiVo needs a feature to help compensate for differences in TV inputs.

Ironically, the horrible DVR from my cable company had this feature. You could select three different audio "output levels". A similar feature could be included in the TiVo with only a software upgrade.

Please TiVo! Help us!
newhopenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #50
rreznikoff

I wrote about not having the TV volume responding properly to the volume control on the remote. I called Tivo and they replaced the remote which solved the problem. But my problem seemed slightly different than those described on this thread. Might ask Tivo about this.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #51
jmflu

Wow so this was never resolved? I still have my Series 3 with the low volume, does Tivo even acknowledge this issue? any kind of hack/tweek for this?
jmflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #52
jzachariasen

Had the TIVO HD a few years now and didn't even notice I had this problem until recently. What made me notice was when we plugged Directv into one tv input and the TIVO on antenna into another (hdmi) input on our Sony LCD tv. The Directv is much louder on our TV than the TIVO HD
jzachariasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #53
breecat

tivo and toshiba here...

I seem to have the volume issue too. I found this thread while looking for others with this problem Only had my Tivo HD a few weeks, it replaced a Comcast Motorola. Love the Tivo but the volume issue is bothersome.

I had it hooked up with RCA cables and antenna initally, while I still had the dvr setup, so I thought it was just the poor RCA connection causing me to have to turn the volume way up when using the Tivo.

But now I have it set up with HDMI to the TV (32: Toshiba, which I love) and I still have to turn it way up when watched recorded shows and often during live TV. Interestingly, when watching Netflix movies, I don't have the problem, I can go to my usual level 10-12. Otherwise, I keep having to crank it up to 25-30 sometimes.

I checked my Toshiba unit speakers and they're both functioning. It concerns me that this could shorten their life span though, having to crank the speakers up so high. Eventually I plan to get the whole unit hooked up to my receiver and surround speakers, but I'll still want to use the TV volume control most of the time.

Has Tivo ever responded about this issue?
breecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #54
csm10495
Badoop Badoop!

i temporarily fixed this problem by going into my tv's settings and raising all of the volume settings, surprisingly the audio quality is still pretty good

Netflix 1 DVD At A Time - Unlimited Streaming
csm10495 is offline   Reply With Quote