TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #961
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by krar4 View Post
KJ -

I checked once I got home, and my resulting filenames are like "Gary Unmarried_052609_cut.mpg", not "xxx.mp4", as I originally thought.

I don't want to say something that is incorrect. What is the filetype that is output if all I do is download, decrypt, comskip, and comcut? I don't have the "encode" option checked, and I'm not using Auto Transfers. Is my filetype an .mp2 filetype then?

I opened the ff_h264_high_rate.enc file in WordPad and added the -vol 333 information. What filetype do I save it as with Wordpad? I can't get it to save as the correct filetype such that KMTTG recognizes it.

Thanks,
Rick
OK, so you are NOT encoding. Note that to boost the volume you have to re-encode the audio but can leave the video alone. I created a sample encoding profile using mencoder that does just that: re-encodes audio to ac3 with audio boost and leaves the video alone. So do as follows:

* Download volume_boost.enc and put it in the kmttg encode folder.
* Now start kmttg and enable the "encode" step and choose volume_boost profile.
* For existing .mpg files on your computer that you want to amplify volume for go into FILES mode and add the .mpg files you want to amplify audio. Enable "encode" step with volume_boost profile and nothing else, select all the files in the FILES list and then click START JOBS.
* For future downloads where you want to apply the audio gain simply enable the "encode" step with volume_boost profile along with the other steps you normally use.

NOTE: Files will come out with .boost.mpg extension as defined in the volume_boost.enc file. If you don't like that edit the file and change it to something you want (but don't use just mpg since it can't be same extension as your source files).

NOTE: You can also increase or decrease volume by changing volume=15 up or down as desired in the volume_boost.enc file.

As bkdtv mentioned use a good editor such as Notepad++ to edit and save these .enc files.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-26-2009 at 02:06 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #962
krar4

KJ -

Excellent! I will give that a try. We fly again next Thursday, so I'll have an opportunity to give it a try then. And thanks to all for educating me on .mpg/.mp2/mp4 etc. That's all good to know.

Thanks!

Rick
krar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #963
AudioNutz

Someone didn't read the documentation...
Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #964
krar4

Sorry, I guess... I haven't seen any documentation on boosting volume in KMTTG... I appreciate the helpful responses.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #965
smelchionda

I'm running a Vista home media server and I wanted to have Kmttg pull content off my Tivo Series 3 so I could watch it in another room on the media server. I've already got pyTivo on the Vista media server successfully serving files up to the Tivo S3 I just cant get kmttg to do a successful download. I get the following error.

>> DOWNLOADING E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVo ...
"C:\Program Files\kmttg\kmttg_v0p6f\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie7456669681717111605. tmp --/download/The%20Colbert%20Report.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=20402 03output "E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVo"
E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVosize=0.00 MB elapsed=00:00:07 (0.00 Mbps)
Download failed to file: E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVo
Exit code: 0
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 31 0 31 0 0 198 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 198
0 31 0 31 0 0 198 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 51 0 51 0 0 204 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 204
Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 1 seconds. 3 retries
Warning: left.
Throwing away 51 bytes

0 51 0 51 0 0 466 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 466
0 51 0 51 0 0 466 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 2 seconds. 2 retries
Throwing away 51 bytes

0 51 0 51 0 0 544 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 544
0 51 0 51 0 0 544 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 4 seconds. 1 retries
Throwing away 51 bytes

0 51 0 51 0 0 544 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 544
0 51 0 51 0 0 544 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
>> DECRYPTING E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVo ...
"C:\Program Files\kmttg\kmttg_v0p6f\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe" --mak MAK --out "E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.mpg" "E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVo"
tivodecode failed (exit code: 9 ) - check command: "C:\Program Files\kmttg\kmttg_v0p6f\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe" --mak MAK --out "E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.mpg" "E:\PUBLIC\VIDEO\Z_KMTTG_From Tivo\The Colbert Report - David Kilcullen_Tue_Jun_23.TiVo"
read chunk data: No error
seek: No error
Encryption by QUALCOMM

Also, what should the directory look like where kmttg is installed? Mine is set up like this.

C:\Program Files\kmttg\kmttg_v0p6f\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe"

Any help would be appreciated.
smelchionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #966
moyekj

smelchionda, the curl.exe command you posted doesn't list the --url http portion properly (looks like you intentionally removed that portion), but I assume you have the proper IP set since you are able to get listings from your TiVo via kmttg.
Your installation seems fine as far as I can tell.

Try this:
* Open a web browser and copy the whole http command from kmttg message window. i.e. The string following the --url option and starting with http.
If that doesn't work either then that means your TiVo server is in a bad state that probably a reboot would cure.
If it does work that means the TiVo itself is OK but perhaps your firewall is blocking "curl.exe" on port 80. Usually for that case you are prompted by Windows if you want to allow an application to access your network, but it could be you either were not prompted or you were prompted but did not allow access. You can look at your firewall settings to see what programs are granted exceptions. Look for curl.exe and make sure it's one of them, otherwise add it manually.

CORRECTION: I think it's actually Java that you have to grant access to the firewall, not curl.exe directly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-26-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #967
smelchionda

Thanks for the suggestions... after I put the kids to bed I'll give it a shot.

I didnt post the url because the forum will not let me post urls or pictures because I don't have enough posts. I need a few more posts and then.

Also, on my Vista media server box I have the firewall turned off, however my Leviton internet gateway has an active firewall so I'll have to check if that firewall is blocking java.

Last edited by smelchionda : 06-26-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #968
smelchionda

I re stated the Tivo and now Kmttg appears to be able to pull files off of the Tivo. I've identified a few problems.

1.) I think I've discovered that if the download from the Tivo is interrupted then the Tivo will not be able to re-connect with Kmttg on the next download unless I restart the Tivo. Anyone see this?

2.) Downloads that are not completed cant be restarted unless you go in and delete the files KMTTG created in the destination folder.

3.) I'm having trouble getting Kmttg to run in the back ground as a service. For example, Kmttg will not identify programs for automatic download unless I run it in the UI.

4.) I have my server set up to put itself to sleep at night to save electricity and then wake itself in the morning. My concern is that if it puts its self to sleep during a download then I'll have to manually delete the files and restart my Tivo to get this set up to continue working the next day.

Question - Anyone know if this file transfer goes though the home network or does it go out to the internest and then back to the home network?

I guess I've got lots of problems! lol!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #969
mikesas

I had the exact same problem on Vista Ultimate and adding a firewall exception for curl.exe in the standard windows firewall resolved the problem.
mikesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #970
moyekj

v0p6g released

v0p6g (06/27/2009)
==================

NOTE: Special thanks to bkdtv for good suggestions and for help testing this and prior releases.

release_notes

ENHANCEMENTS
* Added job insertion capability. Previously when starting a task set for a show and you forgot to enable a task there was no good way to add it without killing all running jobs and starting over. Now kmttg will insert the task into the task set if possible without you having to start over. For example, you start a download but forgot to enable decrypt. Previously if you then enabled decrypt and clicked on START JOBS again kmttg would try and decrypt the partially download .TiVo file. Now kmttg will queue up the decrypt job and wait for download to complete as is desired.

* Switched to use Bonjour (MDNS) for networked Tivo discovery. Faster and perhaps more reliable method of Tivo detection compared to the older Tivo Beacon method. NOTE: Check still designed to stop after 5 minutes.

* Added support for moving columns around for Tivo and FILES tables. You can hold down left mouse button on a column header and drag the column to a new position. Thus for example you can move SHOW column from last column to second column etc. Also kmttg will remember and restore same column order for each tab in next session.

* Added SOURCE and OUTPUT columns to job monitor in place of DESCRIPTION column. This allows more text to be seen in output file name.

* Added "Show full paths in Job Monitor" configuration option to control if you would like to see full path names in Job Monitor or not.

* Added Help->About... menu that brings up a dialog showing current and latest version as well as html links to kmttg web pages.

* Changed default tivo file naming template to "[title] ([monthNum]_[mday]_[year])".

* All sub-windows now are first positioned relative to main window instead of top left corner of the screen.

* Minor: Changed "Other" tab name to "General" in configuration GUI.

* Minor: Added an extra space to right justified SIZE and DATE table columns to give some more separation of text from next column.

* Minor: Changed table column background grey columns to a much lighter shade of grey.

FIXES
* Refreshing encoding profiles will not reset current encoding profile setting if still valid.

* Removed '-aspect 16:9' from ff_psp profile so as to avoid distorting 4:3 aspect ratio sources.

* Removed '-threads' argument from ff_zune profile since wmv codec does not allow for more than 1 thread.

* Made all encode profile files DOS compatible so they can be edited with Windows simple Notepad editor.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-27-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #971
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelchionda View Post
1.) I think I've discovered that if the download from the Tivo is interrupted then the Tivo will not be able to re-connect with Kmttg on the next download unless I restart the Tivo. Anyone see this?
What do you mean by interrupted? Canceling downloads and starting new ones from kmttg has never been a problem for me, and I've not heard that reported as a problem by others before either.

Quote:
2.) Downloads that are not completed cant be restarted unless you go in and delete the files KMTTG created in the destination folder.
By design kmttg is cautious and will not look to overwrite existing files with same name. Under normal conditions downloads should not be incomplete/failing anyway.

Quote:
3.) I'm having trouble getting Kmttg to run in the back ground as a service. For example, Kmttg will not identify programs for automatic download unless I run it in the UI.
Be sure to consult the auto_transfers wiki page to see if you have kmttg auto transfers properly configured and service properly installed and started. All auto transfers activity is logged to auto.log file in kmttg installation dir so if there are any problems you should look at that file. You should use Auto Transfers->Run in GUI to test your Auto Transfer setup. Once that is working then running as a service should work as well. Could possibly be account permissions related issue in which case configuring service to run using a local account. Consult this page for more details on that.

Quote:
4.) I have my server set up to put itself to sleep at night to save electricity and then wake itself in the morning. My concern is that if it puts its self to sleep during a download then I'll have to manually delete the files and restart my Tivo to get this set up to continue working the next day.
Yes that is an issue if you are using service mode and have computer automatically shutting down while it's still running. Restarting your Tivo should NOT be necessary however.

Quote:
Question - Anyone know if this file transfer goes though the home network or does it go out to the internest and then back to the home network?
It's on your LAN (home network) only. It couldn't possibly go through WAN (internet) anyway without port forwarding setup on your router firewall and some special configuration options.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #972
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesas View Post
I had the exact same problem on Vista Ultimate and adding a firewall exception for curl.exe in the standard windows firewall resolved the problem.
Interesting, thanks for posting. I'm running Vista Home Premium and have not had to do that - only Java. This is a good reference post for people reporting similar problems in the future though...

Old 06-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #973
krar4

KJ,

The Volume_Boost.enc file works beautifully! Thanks for posting. Thanks again to all who made helpful responses!

Rick
Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #974
castlemoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelchionda View Post
I re stated the Tivo and now Kmttg appears to be able to pull files off of the Tivo. I've identified a few problems.

I've also got the problem with the Tivo connection to my LAN being "disconnected" requiring a re-boot of the Tivo. I've been playing around with my network and have almost found the solution but not yet. When it happens, Kmttg keeps incrementing the time, but nothing gets copied to my computer. Stopping Kmttg and restarting it gives an error message and repetitive beeping that it can't find the DVR. All 6 of the computers on the network can continue to see each other, but NOT the Tivo. And my Tivo is unable to connect with the Tivo world headquarters (The worldwide tivo wherever it is) until I reboot it. The amount of material transferred appears to be random. Last weekend I transferred/downloaded 10 or 11 1/2 hr tv shows and a couple of movies before it choked. Today (after a Tivo reboot) I got half of a 90 minute movie.

Kmttg is more reliable than desktop (the older version). Thanks for that!

John (aiming for the 10 messages to finally see peoples' signatures!)
castlemoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #975
castlemoyle

Now that's cool! I just scrolled through the output window to see if I could find the error message I referenced above and see that when KMTTG starts up, it shows the number of shows and space used on the DVR harddrive. Never saw that before.

John
Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #976
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemoyle View Post
I've also got the problem with the Tivo connection to my LAN being "disconnected" requiring a re-boot of the Tivo.
Are you using a wired ethernet connection right into your router?

Are you using a static IP address on the tivo? If you aren't, you might consider switching to a static IP address no matter what your connection is.

Have you checked and tested network status on the tivo when the problem happens?

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #977
LordXerxes

Hey Moyekj,

I just grabbed kmttg yesterday and converted a number of programs. Works great! Thanks!

I did notice one thing, and I suppose I need to use the AutoTransfer option to work around it, but when I queued up a number of programs and then went to bed, once my screen saver kicked on, it appeared that all processing, including downloading paused. I guess I should mention that I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.

I then saw that there was a new release today. I downloaded it and then ran into what is possibly a bug in the Detect TiVo routine. Upon launch, kmttg appears to try and connect to my TiVos to pull the latest NPL. I also have a Network Printer on my network. If I leave the "Look for Tivos on network" option checked I get a java error:

Quote:
java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unclosed character class near index 24
Photosmart 3300 series []
^
at java.util.regex.Pattern.error(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.clazz(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.sequence(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.expr(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.matches(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.String.matches(Unknown Source)
at com.tivo.kmttg.main.mdns.process(mdns.java:56)
at com.tivo.kmttg.main.jobMonitor.monitor(jobMonitor.java:40)
at com.tivo.kmttg.main.kmttg$3.actionPerformed(kmttg.java:65)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
None of the NPLs ever download. If I uncheck this option however, the TiVos already stored in my configuration are queried and the NPL are downloaded.

Thanks again

Lord Xerxes
LordXerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #978
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXerxes View Post
I did notice one thing, and I suppose I need to use the AutoTransfer option to work around it, but when I queued up a number of programs and then went to bed, once my screen saver kicked on, it appeared that all processing, including downloading paused. I guess I should mention that I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
That's surprising. I have screensaver kick in but it doesn't stop any processing when that happens. Do you have it configured such that screensaver logs you out or does something special other than just showing a screensaver?

Quote:
I then saw that there was a new release today. I downloaded it and then ran into what is possibly a bug in the Detect TiVo routine. Upon launch, kmttg appears to try and connect to my TiVos to pull the latest NPL. I also have a Network Printer on my network. If I leave the "Look for Tivos on network" option checked I get a java error:
None of the NPLs ever download. If I uncheck this option however, the TiVos already stored in my configuration are queried and the NPL are downloaded.
Yes there's a new MDNS based Tivo detection method in place. Thanks for posting the stack trace, I know exactly what the problem is and the fix is trivial. I can give you a copy of development version with a fix if you need it, but it's perfectly OK just to leave Tivo detection turned off if you already have Tivos configured anyway.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #979
LordXerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's surprising. I have screensaver kick in but it doesn't stop any processing when that happens. Do you have it configured such that screensaver logs you out or does something special other than just showing a screensaver?
I don't have anything special set that I am aware of. I keep my computer on all the time. My power management settings only turn off the Display after 20 minutes. I am the only user and the only person in my house, so no reason to log me out. I am not quite sure why my downloads and decrypt/encrypts paused then.

Lord Xerxes
Old 06-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #980
moyekj

v0p6h released

v0p6h (07/27/2009)
==================

ENHANCEMENTS
* Added new boolean configuration option "Overwrite existing files" under "General" tab. By default kmttg has always been designed skip a task if output file for that task already exists. This option can be enabled to force kmttg to run the task and overwrite the existing file anyway.

FIXES
* Fix to Tivo detection algorithm to prevent exceptions for names with special characters.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #981
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXerxes View Post
I don't have anything special set that I am aware of. I keep my computer on all the time. My power management settings only turn off the Display after 20 minutes. I am the only user and the only person in my house, so no reason to log me out. I am not quite sure why my downloads and decrypt/encrypts paused then.

Lord Xerxes
v0p6h just released should fix kmttg Tivo detection problem with your network printer.
I changed my screen saver to power off screen after 1 minute while a kmttg download was happening and after reviving the screen the download was still continuing. Can you determine which task specifically it pauses on? Is it any/all of them or some specific task?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #982
LordXerxes

Something else I just encountered with this latest release. After launching kmttg and going to Configuration, all of my directory paths have changed to my Target Directory, including the FILES Default Path which I had set to the kmttg directory. If I try to change any setting I get the following error:

Quote:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.tivo.kmttg.gui.configMain.write(configMain.java:406)
at com.tivo.kmttg.gui.configMain.okCB(configMain.java:135)
at com.tivo.kmttg.gui.configMain.access$400(configMain.java:35)
at com.tivo.kmttg.gui.configMain$5.actionPerformed(configMain.j ava:949)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unk nown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
I have deleted the config.ini and recreated it, but after the first run, if I exit and re-launch this problem happens again. It doesn't matter what I try to change, if I click OK, I get the error. I have no choice but to click Cancel.

EDIT: As I was posting this I saw you updated the code again. I will download that and try again.

Lord Xerxes
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #983
LordXerxes

Ok...I just updated to v0p6h. It looks like the error I was getting above is now gone, but the FILES Default Path is still changing from the kmttg directory to the same as my target directory for the Output directories. I don't think this should cause any problems since the Programs Tab has the correct paths set.

Lord Xerxes

EDIT: Ok, I just re-read the Configuring kmttg Wiki Page. I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the FILES Default path.

Last edited by LordXerxes : 06-28-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #984
castlemoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Are you using a wired ethernet connection right into your router?

Are you using a static IP address on the tivo? If you aren't, you might consider switching to a static IP address no matter what your connection is.

Have you checked and tested network status on the tivo when the problem happens?

-David

Hi David,
I am wired all the way. computer direct connected to an 8-port "CNET CN8800TPC (10Base-2) hub. Series 2 DVR is wire connected to the same hub. (One of the ports on the hub goes to a 5 port netgear switch which then goes to other some computers and a Belkin wireless access point, but the DVR to computer is wired with only the HUB between them)

the DVR always comes up as 192.168.0.106, so I'm assuming it's static.

I was just trying out the direct connection (https://192.168.0.106) (Firefox) and downloaded almost 2 meg of a 2.5 meg movie. Then it stopped. Now going to https://192.168.0.106 gives me a "Network Timeout" error and http://192.168.0.106 gives me a "connection interrupted" error. I can successfully connect to computers on our LAN that are plugged into the hub (same as Tivo) and also plugged into the switch (one step further on) and also wireless through the Belkin. (The DVR is wired all the way).

I've got a DSL modem also plugged into the hub that I used to be able to connect to and view the status of computers (and Tivo) on my network. I disabled the wireless part of it 10 days or so ago (after the Tivo downloading problems started) and now I can't find it anymore using windows. I'd push the little reset button on it and start over, but it would probably shut me down for a month.

John
Old 06-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #985
Icarus

Hi John,

When you have that problem, did you check the network status on the tivo itself to see what it thinks is going on?

If you go to Tivo Central, Messages and Settings, Settings, Phone & Network. On that page, you can see some network information, including your IP address. From that page you can see your network status, and under Network Diagnostics you can test your network connection (Tivo Service Connection).

I don't see any problem with your physical setup, except if it were me, I would replace the hub with another switch, but the hub should be fine.

When you have the problem, what happens if you disconnect and reconnect the tivo's ethernet cable at the hub? Also, does your hub have status lights for each port? Is the status light lit for the port the tivo is connected to when you have the problem?

Something is clearly not working right, and you may just have to try eliminating/replacing things to figure it out. (ie, the ethernet cable to the tivo, the hub, etc.)

I think it's safe to say that your problem is unrelated to kmttg, so you should probably just PM me for further discussion on this.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #986
eht123

Excellent program!

Just a sanity check - the download was painfully slow, 4.5 GB in 1 hr 10 mins. Is that typical?

Thanks.
eht123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #987
moyekj

4.5 GB transferred in 70 mins => 8.57 Mbps (3.86 GB/hour)
That's probably a Tivo HD unit right? If so that's probably a fairly typical rate. They are a little slower than the original S3 units. As a comparison I usually clock in around 13 Mbps for my transfers but that's with an original S3 unit which are still faster for MRV & TTG transfers in general compared to the THD units.

If you read bkdtv's excellent FAQ on the subject there is a section on typical transfer rates:
Download Recordings
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdktv
Under ideal conditions, you can download recordings from the TivoHD at up to 13Mbps on a 100Mbps network. Under typical conditions, download throughput is 8.5-9.5 Mbps (1.1 Megabytes per second). Throughput will vary depending on whether you are watching or recording SD or HD channels.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #988
innocentfreak

Currently I have Tivo Desktop just automatically backing up my select shows as I slowly get my new Tivo HDs setup.

I was thinking of using KMTTG to transfer and convert shows that would be compatible with Streambaby but also with Tversity for the Xbox 360. Anyone have any suggestions? I am not that familiar with codecs so I don't know for sure what will work the best. I am mainly trying to plan ahead for the fall when the new shows kick back up and I will have space issues on the Tivos.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #989
eht123

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
4.5 GB transferred in 70 mins => 8.57 Mbps (3.86 GB/hour)
That's probably a Tivo HD unit right? If so that's probably a fairly typical rate. They are a little slower than the original S3 units. As a comparison I usually clock in around 13 Mbps for my transfers but that's with an original S3 unit which are still faster for MRV & TTG transfers in general compared to the THD units.

If you read bkdtv's excellent FAQ on the subject there is a section on typical transfer rates:
Download Recordings
Yep, it's a TivoHD. Thanks for the pointer.
eht123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #990
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I was thinking of using KMTTG to transfer and convert shows that would be compatible with Streambaby but also with Tversity for the Xbox 360. Anyone have any suggestions? I am not that familiar with codecs so I don't know for sure what will work the best. I am mainly trying to plan ahead for the fall when the new shows kick back up and I will have space issues on the Tivos.
Yes, the kmttg ff_xbox360 encoding profile produces mp4 files that stream natively and nicely to Tivo via streambaby and supposedly should work for xbox360 playback as well (though since I don't own one I can't verify for sure).