TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #6541
zabolots

I'm in the Chicago 'burbs and am getting ready to move into a new home. I need to call Comcast to get service (previous owner had Dish). Can I order new service with CableCards and Tivo HD or do I first need to do some basic service with one of their boxes and then change over to CableCards/TiVo?

Any tips for increasing my changes of success would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Scott
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #6542
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon96cobra View Post
Thanks. Yeah in MD. I have Cox now and they didn't carry the M-series cards at the time I got it and I didn't want to have another service call just to swap it out they also have a cisco tuner box so Tivo users can get all the HD stations you get with there DVR.
Don't know what you mean that with a Cisco tuner box Tivo users can get all the HD stations you get with DVR. I thought I got all the same stations with my TIVO that I got with my Moto DVR.

Oh you must be referring to SDV. I didn't think Comcast had that in Montgomery Co. MD. So you mean Cox is doing SDV?
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #6543
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Maybe some of that delta is becuse you had digital service on one outlet before (the DVR) and now you have digital service on two outlets (the DVR on one, the TiVo on the other). That costs extra on Comcast.
No, I do not get my TiVo's 'til Thursday, but I now have 3 outlets with the service...2 Comcast HD DVR's and an HD STB.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #6544
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHD View Post
Is it true that the new TIVO Series 3 HD DVRs will allow PPV and OnDemand?
I doubt you'll see that happen for quite some time (like probably not even in 2010), except perhaps in the sense of the Comcast version of TiVo software that can run on their hardware, at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #6545
55bish

New Billing for my CableCards

Richmond, VA I have one TiVo HD series 3 and one TiVo HD I have a total of 3CableCards. My cable bill has changed this month. I have a premium package and was paying $15.00 a month to add HD to the Package. This month they changes the charge for the HD to 0 and have start charging each CableCard $8.99 if I want to access HD. They also doubled the cost on the Standard def boxes. I had a grandfather policy on my account in the past which they decided they would just not honor anymore as of January. That include my service with 2 receiver included at no charge. With all of these new charges my bill was raised $60. since January with no service changes. I have been a with Comcast for ten years here and also had them in my last location for many years. I brought back two Boxes that I rented from them yesterday and now my TiVo's are not getting the HD service. I have called and told them how to fix the problem repeatedly. They told me HD is not available on TiVo's with their cards. I have had It for 3 years. They say they have confirmed and It is not possible. I am watching it on one cablecard now. The other two do not work. The total of my bill is $177. now. I told them that that price is more the their best package with phone and Internet and all of my devices. They really do not care. Two years ago I had everything with comcast and had lots of trouble with Internet. My whole neighborhood would keep getting kicked off. They said it was our router. I bought a new router. Same problem. Told them while I was talking on the phone I was watching Verizon putting in Fios and I would switch if my service wasn't fixed. They said Switch. I did. I would not switch my cable however because they didn't charge for CableCards. Now Verizon is charging $3.99 for cablecards. HD is no additional charge. I told comcast if they were going to charge me I would have to switch. They told me I had better make sure I check and compare. I did I will save a considerable amount of money and have much more service Plus Internet and phone for less than just the TV with Comcast. I have to wait two weeks for the install and comcast can't figure out how to get my HD back on. I believe they don't train their people because the trouble they cause people with TiVo makes more and more people just give in to using their DVR's and it makes them be able to tell the FCC that people do not want CableCards which supports some of the positions they are taking in not needed to make the two way CableCards.
They are now charging for all Access to HD instead of for HD service. I know Lots of people just don't really care but this is crazy and I have had to devote 5 days and dozen of hours to dealing with this issue. I thought that by law cablecard had to be a minimal charge and they are charging me the same price as their set top boxes are charged. I payed for my box I do not need to rent it. I have a friend who connected Two HD TiVo's one week ago with the same cable as me and he was told there would be no charge for cablecards. Even though Comcast has decide to charge me $8.99 I was told 7 different amounts by different Comcast employees in the last 5 days. I have told them if it is multiple choice I choose free. In order to give low prices to new customers they are willing to loose long time customers. Very sad.
55bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #6546
Yuterald

I have 2 HDTIVO's and recently one has had some issues. Yesterday was the
second time in about 2 months that the same one 'lost' all our pay stations
(except ShowtimeHD). That's the strange thing - both times we lost all digital
and HD pay stations except ShowtimeHD. We still have ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, but no
FoodHD. The other HDTIVO (and motoDVR) are fine. Last time this happened I had
to call several times and it wasn't until several hours later (overnight) that
it was 'fine' again.
Before I call Comcast tonight to haggle with them to get someone who knows how
to send the signal from the header etc does anyone think it might be the MCard
(cablecard) or (what I hope not) the HDTIVO?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #6547
55bish

I am sure it is the Coding that they are using. That Is how I got into this mess. I called to say just a few of my channels stopped working. I think it is almost never the cards. I have reused the cards that they claim were bad and they have worked when you get the right person to send the signal. Yesterday I talked to them 4 times before I found a person who know what they were doing for the first card. Not so much on the other cards.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #6548
Yuterald

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bish View Post
I am sure it is the Coding that they are using. That Is how I got into this mess. I called to say just a few of my channels stopped working. I think it is almost never the cards. I have reused the cards that they claim were bad and they have worked when you get the right person to send the signal. Yesterday I talked to them 4 times before I found a person who know what they were doing for the first card. Not so much on the other cards.
ok - this is what i did - i sent an email to my better half to do this:
Call comcast
1) Ask Customer Service to transfer me to the Head End, this is where I got someone who knew about the cable cards.

2) Give them your Cable Card ID, Host ID, Data ID and S/N of the Cable Card.

3) Tell them you need a Initialzation Hit
-
She did and she emailed me back:

"It’s fixed. He said it shouldn’t happen again. It had to do with some changes in their system. Took him 10 seconds after I gave him the info he needed."
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #6549
55bish

I did all of that but it they don't have to right coding in then those channels wont work and mine do not.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #6550
TrillJester

Hi,

Santa Cruz, CA area here. Just got a Tivo HD, went down to my local office this morning and got 2 M-Cards. Went home, installed just 1 of them and after a bit of confusion, I was able to get going. The Comcast tech was fairly competent and stayed with me on the line while I verified my channels. I finally noticed a problem after I got off the phone with him. (Figures!). I'm missing my ESPN channels and basically all of my HD channels above their "basic" HD package. Then I got a 161-3 (I think) error.

My TiVo was downloading a service update and what not. Should I check it again after it applies the service update and then call Comcast or should I call them immediately and figure out what's going on now?
TrillJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #6551
MitchV

Quote:
I thought that by law cablecard had to be a minimal charge and they are charging me the same price as their set top boxes are charged.
That is true. I live in Chester (not too far south from you) and I will be turning in my digital receivers on Friday for the same crazy costs you described.

If you check the Comcast website, it states that you can be provided one cable card, at no charge, per outlet. Each additional card is supposed to be $2 and change.

I think you've been talking to the wrong people. It seems to be hit and miss (mostly miss) with Comcast.

If FIOS was available for me, I'd switch to Verizon as quickly as possible.
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #6552
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
If FIOS was available for me, I'd switch to Verizon as quickly as possible.
You think Verizon is better? I have been investigating making the switch from Comcast to FIOS. My neighbor has FIOS so I know it is available in my area.

I put in my address at the FIOS web site and get an error message that it can't find that address (not that service is not available there but as if my address doesn't exist).

I call up the FIOS 800 number and they swear up and down that there is no service available.

I talk to my neighbor who gives me the name of one service rep who handles our area. He seems to be the only CSR at Verizon who is aware that they have the service in my area.

Apparently Verizon haven't got around to fixing/enter the code into their system so they are systematically turning away potential customers......I wonder what it would be like to actually to get an install. Not confidence inspiring so far.....
Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #6553
MitchV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
You think Verizon is better?
I would hope that it is. I believe the channel lineup is better, the Internet packages offer more bandwidth, I don't believe you run the risk of a weak signal (like I have with Comcast).

I've got an aunt and uncle in Richmond who went with FIOS and I've heard no complaints.

I suppose the biggest factor is that I've always felt like Comcast tries to stick it to me at every opportunity. I get nickel and dime'd to death, I find their past network management policies to be invasive, and every time I have a problem I have to wade through menus and wait on hold only to be served by somebody who doesn't know what they are doing.

Here's an example... I knew I was going to be working out of town the first half of this week, so last Thursday I scheduled a cablecard install for Friday (tomorrow). I have received no less than FOUR automated phone calls confirming that service in my area was restored, and if I failed to push the right number, my standing appointment will be canceled.

There is a reason why most of the people on my street pay for satellite TV over Comcast.
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #6554
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
I would hope that it is. I believe the channel lineup is better, the Internet packages offer more bandwidth, I don't believe you run the risk of a weak signal (like I have with Comcast).

I've got an aunt and uncle in Richmond who went with FIOS and I've heard no complaints.

I suppose the biggest factor is that I've always felt like Comcast tries to stick it to me at every opportunity. I get nickel and dime'd to death, I find their past network management policies to be invasive, and every time I have a problem I have to wade through menus and wait on hold only to be served by somebody who doesn't know what they are doing.

Here's an example... I knew I was going to be working out of town the first half of this week, so last Thursday I scheduled a cablecard install for Friday (tomorrow). I have received no less than FOUR automated phone calls confirming that service in my area was restored, and if I failed to push the right number, my standing appointment will be canceled.

There is a reason why most of the people on my street pay for satellite TV over Comcast.

FIOS performance might be better--I don't know yet--but I wouldn't count on their customer service being better. That's all I was saying.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #6555
melissa12345

does comcast charge a Fee for 1 cablecard?

hi

i am trying to figure this out....when i went into our local comcast office ,,i was told no fee for it and mo monthly charges for the 1 St. card...but every month now i am being charged for a tivo m-card???

Last edited by melissa12345 : 06-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.
melissa12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #6556
NewbieInTheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa12345 View Post
hi

i am trying to figure this out....when i went into our local comcast office ,,i was told no fee for it and mo monthly charges for the 1 St. card...but every month now i am being caharged for a tivo m-card???
The first card should be free. Call them and have them remove it from your bill.
NewbieInTheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #6557
melissa12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieInTheATL View Post
The first card should be free. Call them and have them remove it from your bill.
i have called them but they say its a mcard and they dont just give FREE cards,I THINK IT BECAUSE I STOP THEY HD DVR AND WHEN WITH MY OWN TIVO HD

Last edited by melissa12345 : 06-28-2009 at 01:28 PM.
melissa12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #6558
NewbieInTheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa12345 View Post
i have called them but they say its a mcard and they dont just give FREE cards,I THINK IT BECAUSE I STOP THEY HD DVR AND WHEN WITH MY OWN TIVO HD
Not surprising as when I did the same, they were still charging me for their DVR and an additional HDTV fee, and the cablecard. A couple of phone calls later I managed to speak to somebody who was able to sort it out but you definitely should not be charged for the first cablecard, even if it's an M card. I remember seeing something on their website that stated the same so you could probably present this to them as justification. Good luck!
NewbieInTheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #6559
pstemari

Arrow Any ideas on how to get Channel Map problems fixed?

I've been on the phone w Comcast four times, w TiVo twice, and had Comcast techs out here for hours yesterday, and still no one seems to be able to get my cablecard set up correctly.

The card appears to be recognizing the validation and initialization msgs OK, but never gets a channel map. I'm in South King County, WA.

The pertinent info from the card menu is:

Code:
          Conditional Access
     Unit Address:000-03348-44738-059
     Encryption: DES
     Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:V 0x1A

(The Con and Val settings change to No and back to Yes after sending the validate and init msgs, so the card appears to be getting messages.)

Code:
          Network Setup

OOB Mode: OOBGTC: OOB
     2-Way Established: Unknown
     OOB LKC: 75.250
     OOB Status: IDLE

EMM PID: 1 0x1503

VCTID: 71 VCT Rcvd: 0

(Messages counter increases whenever I revisit the screen.)

Code:
         CableCARD(tm) Pairing

In order to start cable service
     for this device, please contact
     your cable provider

CableCARD ID: 000-334-844-738-8
     Host ID: 035-011-968-096-4
     Data: 300-485-826-77

UnitAddress: 000-03348-44738-059
     Card S/N: MA0716CAKF48
     eCM MAC: -:-:-:-:-:-
     Host MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00
     Host Type: 1-Way RF only

The relevant bits out of the DVR diagnostics are:

Code:
   CableCARD:                   1
   Module State:                Operating Normally
   Module Mode:                 M-Mode
   Decrypt RecordChannels:      None
   Channel List Received:       No
   VCT ID:                      -

From the TiVo diagnostics page, this looks like the card is working OK, but it's not receiving a channel map. How do I translate that to Comcast-speak to get them to send the right stuff? The tech was talking to their "Addressability" group yesterday, which I assume is the head end people who ought to understand this.

I did send an email to We_Can_Help(at)cable.comcast.com, but they just acknowledged it a few minutes ago.
pstemari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #6560
hillstrubl

comcast specific question (I'm in DC)
With my TivoHD and the current Multistream Cable card everything is working, do I need a tuning adapter? what does the adapter actually do (I know it facilitates 2-way communication, but what does that actually mean? would I get any additional features?
hillstrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #6561
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
comcast specific question (I'm in DC)
With my TivoHD and the current Multistream Cable card everything is working, do I need a tuning adapter? what does the adapter actually do (I know it facilitates 2-way communication, but what does that actually mean? would I get any additional features?

I'm in Montgomery co, MD right across the line from DC. Don't need a tuning adapter. I doubt that you do either or Comcast DC would have informed you.

From the TIVO site:

"A Tuning Adapter is a small set top box that gives your CableCARD-equipped HD TiVo DVR the ability to request switched digital video (SDV) channels. Like CableCARDs, Tuning Adapters are part of the digital cable system, so they must be issued by your cable provider."

There is more information in the SDV FAQ.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #6562
SimMayor

re: Any ideas on how to get Channel Map problems fixed?

pstemari has described my problem exactly, down to living in King County... is there a chance that the problem is location-based? Virtually everything about the description matches what I'm seeing (minus the obvious differences--s/n, etc.--of course). Comcast customer support just keeps telling me "I just sent the three signals, so it should work now." I tried this with single channel cards yesterday, and now for 5 hours today with two different multi-channel cards, and I can't get a channel map to load.

Now they're trying to convince me that the problem must be with my TiVo, but if others are having the same problem, that doesn't seem right either. I've read elsewhere that the cards might need to be blanked and have their firmware updated, but that's second and third-hand info, and the people I've spoken with say that's not possible (big surprise).

Does anybody out there have any info on how Comcast can get us the right channel maps? The best they're offering me right now is to send someone out as soon as possible (which right now is July 9!) to take a look at things, and that's just not acceptable. Part of the reason I wanted the series 3 TiVo was to record a show that's starting next week

Last edited by SimMayor : 07-01-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Edited out accidental waaaayyy too long quote
SimMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #6563
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimMayor View Post
pstemari has described my problem exactly, down to living in King County... is there a chance that the problem is location-based?
Absolutely possible. If you two are willing, you should exchange real-life identities with each other via PM, and each report the other's experiences. That should get your problems escalated to the proper folks - it's clear that SimMayor's at least have not.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #6564
janry

Yesterday I found I was not receiving some of my Comcast premium channels. When I turned to HBO and Starz, I'd get the invalid authorization message. So, I called Comcast and the guy immediately knew the problem. He said they had signed new contracts with some of the premium services and had to re-scan all the installed cable cards and their computer missed some. He needed some information from my TiVo screens and said within 20 minutes I'd be back in business. I was.

While it was refreshing to have gotten someone at Comcast who knew what they were doing, I am wondering if something else isn't afoot. Anyone heard of this and know what might be the result?

I have a feeling I am no longer going to be able to transfer recordings from those channels. Just a guess and I'll try sometime soon. Would they need to do something like this. I thought they could just change a CCI flag on their end. I'm probably being paranoid.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #6565
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
So, I called Comcast and the guy immediately knew the problem.
This was just someone you got when you called 1-800-COMCAST?

I'm not getting Hallmark HD that Tivo says is in my lineup (it's not really critical since I seldom/never watch Hallmark) but I've been afraid to call since based on my initial CC install experience I expect them to be clueless and/or biased against supporting TiVo.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #6566
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
This was just someone you got when you called 1-800-COMCAST?
I called the local Comcast number.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #6567
55bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
I called the local Comcast number.
I think you should check your bill next month to see if they change your billing. That is what happened to me. I called over and over again to get different people to tell them that $8.99 per cablecard was wrong even on their website it says first free second $2.00. They refused to change the fee. Today I finally have my FIOS and it is so much better than Comcast. I brought back all of my settop boxes and cablecards today and this is the nicest they have ever been to me. They told me to come back as some as my contract runs out. I tried not to switch but they would not budge. The FIOS tech never complained once about installing Cablecard in Tivo and he didn't leave until everything was working. It took seven hours and no fee for install. There is one problem only which I also had with Comcast and that is The Fox News Channel HD. That channel freeze and has audio cuts. I am seeing others with this same problem. The regular Fox News and all other Fox Channels work fine. They are the best picture I have had ever had except for watching B-ray.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #6568
janry

Quote:
I think you should check your bill next month to see if they change your billing. That is what happened to me. I called over and over again to get different people to tell them that $8.99 per cablecard was wrong even on their website it says first free second $2.00. They refused to change the fee. Today I finally have my FIOS and it is so much better than Comcast. I brought back all of my settop boxes and cablecards today and this is the nicest they have ever been to me. They told me to come back as some as my contract runs out. I tried not to switch but they would not budge. The FIOS tech never complained once about installing Cablecard in Tivo and he didn't leave until everything was working. It took seven hours and no fee for install. There is one problem only which I also had with Comcast and that is The Fox News Channel HD. That channel freeze and has audio cuts. I am seeing others with this same problem. The regular Fox News and all other Fox Channels work fine. They are the best picture I have had ever had except for watching B-ray.

Well, we always check our cable bill. But, our Comcast office is pretty good. I was even able to self-install the cable card.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #6569
Fingal

My Comcast Cablecard Saga

I've been on limited basic for years and have been pretty happy there.

I've got a Tivo HD and have been getting HD channels (8-1, 10-1,-2,-3) for a while now, but no guide data.

After researching and reading this thread i found that I needed a cable card to get the guide data for those channels.

Comcast refused to give me cable cards for the limited basic plan, saying i needed to be on a digital plan. The intro digital plan was more than I wanted to pay.

As of July 1 this year Comcast finally released a Digital Economy plan that was in my price range. And, with that I could get a Cablecard.

Placed the order, the guy came (today) and installed the card (it was a multistream card, even), no probelms there. took him about 30 minutes total, knew exactly what he was doing ,etc.

He left before I re-ran guided setup saying "we don't support the tivo, you'll need to do the guided setup yourself".

I ran the guided setup, and lo-and behold my 8-1, -2, -3 HD channels were gone!!!

I called comcast - the first person said "those are only over the air channels, we don't broadcast those.."

I told them that was BS for a number reasons.
* My cable comes in to my Tivo HD, and i told it to only scan cable and these channels showed up).
* I actually get guide info for my OTA channels.

We argued a bit, but I really don't have patience for that sort of thing. so I just told them i wanted to cancel my upgrade.

They transferred me to someone new, who conceded that those were in-fact Comcast channels, but that they couldn't enable it on my system under any plan without me getting an HD box or cable box.

So, I finished by just canceling the upgrade and went back to limited basic.
No guide data is better than no channels, or channels + a box.

Next step will be the fight to get all the charges removed from my bill.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #6570
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal View Post
I ran the guided setup, and lo-and behold my 8-1, -2, -3 HD channels were gone!!!
Those are NOT Comcast channel numbers. Have you checked channels in the 7xx region?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote